closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sales Corner at the moment.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by HoneyFB View Post
    There does seem to have been a growth in non-watch related stuff over the last 4 months.
    Phones, laptops, iPads, knives, torches and even cars/bikes give a bit of variety,
    but second hand clothes and shoes should really be dropped off down the charity shop.

It would be good if their was a choice of filters in your profile and each item put up on
    SC was assigned an appropriate category, each person could then filter out categories
    of items they had no interest in.
    lol! first time i looked iiin sc i couldn't believe how much non-watch related stuff was for sale in there! what's next? second hand dildos? or special turd polish for sale.... for the ones that want to sell crap and make it look good!

needless to say, i hardly ever look in there.

Journeyman
    Due to the restrictions I still can't get into the SC for another month, shame as I've got money to burn!

Sales Corner at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcmonkee View Post
    Due to the restrictions I still can't get into the SC for another month, shame as I've got money to burn!
    You'll also need to get another 24 posts in too.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cornish View Post
    lol! first time i looked iiin sc i couldn't believe how much non-watch related stuff was for sale in there! what's next? second hand dildos? or special turd polish for sale.... for the ones that want to sell crap and make it look good!

Your missing out on all the ellesse watches at bargain prices.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by taz417 View Post
    My first 3 figure watch - 1992
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    My first 3 figure watch - 1992
    Best £1.99 you spent eh, show off. ;-)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    Best £1.99 you spent eh, show off. ;-)
    LOL, no seriously it was £100 and its still with me, it seemed like an absolute fortune back then
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by taz417 View Post
    they probably have more interest than the saturation of overpriced rolexes ;)

Master

Lol..I agree. I know this is really a bear pit matter but some of the stuff on there is comical. Signed books, beanbags, wallets. Having said that there is a lot of good non watch stuff also..I Pads, Belstaff gear etc. I suppose it is as it is, and you can just skim past the shite.

How does one get to view Sales Corner? I would be interested in having a look!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePattinson View Post
    read the top of the page and let me know what it says, then just by a miracle when you have told me what it says, you could possibly view sc ;)

Just one more post before you can open Pandora's box!!

read the top of the page and let me know what it says, then just by a miracle when you have told me what it says, you could possibly view sc ;)
    Haha a miracle indeed! My 50th post!

Craftsman
    Haha a miracle indeed! My 50th post!
    make sure you have a fat wallet and jog on to the sc..... it isn't that spectacular in there. only visited twice maybe 3 times, but it was that underwhelming i can't remember which!

make sure you have a fat wallet and jog on to the sc..... it isn't that spectacular in there. only visited twice maybe 3 times, but it was that underwhelming i can't remember which!
    Yes indeed, judging by a lot of the comments on here it seems that people are slightly underwhelmed by SC at the moment. I didn't really come on here to get into SC it was more to learn about watches but even so it might be nice to see what is on offer and possibly invest here and there.

Hopefully...

in a few weeks I'll be able to buy one from someone. A chap I know told me about this site as I'm hunkering after a rolex submariner and am too scared to try ebay. I'm hoping to pick one up that was built in 2010 as that was when my son was born. I'll wear it for a few years (I don't really believe in hiding things away) and when he starts his first real job I'll gift it to him.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    in a few weeks I'll be able to buy one from someone. A chap I know told me about this site as I'm hunkering after a rolex submariner and am too scared to try ebay. I'm hoping to pick one up that was built in 2010 as that was when my son was born. I'll wear it for a few years (I don't really believe in hiding things away) and when he starts his first real job I'll gift it to him.
    it won't be a few weeks, that's for sure... you need to be a member for 2 months and have 50 valid contributions to the forum. speed posting is frowned upon here. if you are in that much of a rush to pick up a rolex, there are plenty of second hand dealers with excellent feedback on this forum.

Master
    There are some very keenly priced and nice-looking watches on there at the moment, but sales are happening steadily. I expect things will pick up after the tax shock wears off!

I've noticed the same thing on a couple of other watch sales forums, and also a couple with camera equipment. Anyone with money burning a hole in their pocket at the moment should do well at any price level.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    LOL, no seriously it was £100 and its still with me, it seemed like an absolute fortune back then
    I've still got a watch I paid £12/10s for.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Drawmer View Post
    I've still got a watch I paid £12/10s for.
    wow! i think my birth year was the year of decimilisation. when growing up i often seen the old sixpence. most people nowadays don't even know we used to have a 1/2p. pocket money was 50p/week and you could get lots of sweets for that money, now, it wouldn't even get you a mars bar!

Master
    My s/s Datejust cost my parents £120 in 1973

As a vintage Omega fan there are some cracking watches on SC at the moment. The last few weeks have been great just to 'window shop' and build an ever increasing want list. To name a few: SHOM, Megaquartz, Big Blue, Dynamic. It's been great so keep them coming!

Journeyman
    Agreed. I was really looking forward to getting onto SC. When I was allowed in it was a big disappointment. You can't beat eBay!

Which is why it is so annoying when people post $hite in an attempt to get there in the misguided attempt to enter the watch equivalent of TK Maxx.

Some good deals come up occasionally - it's more about knowing your stuff, being part of the community and being patient........
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by chutley View Post
    Agreed. I was really looking forward to getting onto SC. When I was allowed in it was a big disappointment. You can't beat eBay!
    i recall the hard time you got about wanting to view sc. but you didn't use ebay to buy your bremont! there is sometimes an exception to the rule but you got your bremont elsewhere whilst someone on sc was still trying to sell theirs.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Which is why it is so annoying when people post $hite in an attempt to get there in the misguided attempt to enter the watch equivalent of TK Maxx.

Some good deals come up occasionally - it's more about knowing your stuff, being part of the community and being patient........
    Patience is a virtue, possess it if you can....Seldom in a woman, never in a man.

I don't have the time or patience to wait. I want it yesterday.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post

well at least the ones who post shite get their accounts reset so it is futile really..... i'm here for an education, and have learned lots since joining..... there is so much more to learn though. and it is an honour to read posts where members have stripped down movements and self serviced them.

Journeyman
    i recall the hard time you got about wanting to view sc. but you didn't use ebay to buy your bremont! there is sometimes an exception to the rule but you got your bremont elsewhere whilst someone on sc was still trying to sell theirs.
    Yep, got right hard time. But i do remember you standing in my corner.

All that stuff about speed posting. In fact it was more a case of passing time whilst wife was watching Eastenders. I still drop by here now and again, but have gone back to my favourite bike forum (bikes are my first love!). I still post in bursts - nothing for days followed by 50 when the fancy takes me

But since joining this site, I have brought a £2k Bremont, £1k Fortis Flieger Chrono and a £800 Mule Glashutte. I probably would have bought on SC is the option was available.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by chutley View Post
    Yep, got right hard time. But i do remember you standing in my corner.

All that stuff about speed posting. In fact it was more a case of passing time whilst wife was watching Eastenders. I still drop by here now and again, but have gone back to my favourite bike forum (bikes are my first love!). I still post in bursts - nothing for days followed by 50 when the fancy takes me

But since joining this site, I have brought a £2k Bremont, £1k Fortis Flieger Chrono and a £800 Mule Glashutte. I probably would have bought on SC is the option was available.
    lol! you don't need anyone in your corner, you can hold your own. might be in the market for a bike soon, give us a pm about the bike forum you use please.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey-r View Post
    With regard to SC... as a fairly new member, I have enough posts to view but not enough to post. If I were interested in a watch on SC would it be bad form to PM the seller or should I wait until I have sufficient posts to actually post in SC?
    That's how I have operated up to now with my lowly post count. However, today it became apparent that the 250+ ruling really doesn't work, after I agreed to purchase a watch before work this morning (note - not haggling or questioning, just a firm I'll take it if still available). Seller responded whilst I was at work with payment details, by the time I was home from work a few hours later and checking the forum, he had decided to sell it to someone else as I took too long responding. What a joke!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by amh82 View Post
    That's how I have operated up to now with my lowly post count. However, today it became apparent that the 250+ ruling really doesn't work, after I agreed to purchase a watch before work this morning (note - not haggling or questioning, just a firm I'll take it if still available). Seller responded whilst I was at work with payment details, by the time I was home from work a few hours later and checking the forum, he had decided to sell it to someone else as I took too long responding. What a joke!!
    i don't see what difference it makes if you have 250+ or <250. you contacted to make a deal, but it fell through. you think if you posted the offer in the forum it would make the deal concrete? just the same as pm, the seller thought you were probably taking too long to respond and another offer came along that he decided to take.

bit like house gazumping of the early 80's, but it isn't illegal on sc.

it won't be a few weeks, that's for sure... you need to be a member for 2 months and have 50 valid contributions to the forum. speed posting is frowned upon here. if you are in that much of a rush to pick up a rolex, there are plenty of second hand dealers with excellent feedback on this forum.
    I never said I was in a rush... if I was I'd go to goldsmiths or some place local. Like most things that I buy... I always try to do my research as much as possible. I figured this was a good place to learn about watches and the variations. A few guys I've spoken to over the past year are on here and recommended it as a place to drop in to learn more about things I don't know. Thats the whole problem of going into a shop... if you don't know what you don't know... how are you supposed to ask a question about it! I know what I like in terms of aesthetics... but I want to know more about things like movements, what makes a good watch good and conversely, what makes one not so good. Thanks for the help! And if you're thinking about a new bike... I have a few of those in the garage if you fancy BM's. I suspect you're only about 20 minutes away...feel free to stop over anytime. pm for address!
    Last edited by canuck; 2nd February 2013 at 22:08.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I never said I was in a rush... if I was I'd go to goldsmiths or some place local. Like most things that I buy... I always try to do my research as much as possible. I figured this was a good place to learn about watches and the variations. A few guys I've spoken to over the past year are on here and recommended it as a place to drop in to learn more about things I don't know. Thats the whole problem of going into a shop... if you don't know what you don't know... how are you supposed to ask a question about it! I know what I like in terms of aesthetics... but I want to know more about things like movements, what makes a good watch good and conversely, what makes one not so good. Thanks for the help!
    well you are in the right place for advice on used rolex. personally i'd be scared to buy a used rolex, even if it was from a reputable dealer as there are so many fakes out there with almost convincing box and papers. deffo wouldn't turn to ebay for a rolex purchase.

if you havent already seen it, read the thread about "now known as dssd gate" it is a real eye opener.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hsukirk View Post
    Very poor form from the seller if that's so.
    I agree if that is the case. You can't expect someone to be on the forum all the time and one got to work for a living. If an offer been made you would give reasonable time for a reply!

The first forum I joined had a 50 post rule for accessing the sales section, and while I was frustrated about at the time it I understood the need for some kind of restriction. However, the additional 60 day rule to buy on here seems to be a bit of overkill. From what's been said above, it sound like this was a recent innovation. Was there some reason/problem/issue that triggered it?

I'm up to my 50 posts, engaging and contributing to the forum in my own small way and patiently waiting for my access in March. In the meantime, I'm having to spend my money and sell/trade my watches elsewhere. Shame, as all this talk of vintage Omegas on SC here has perked my interest. Still, patience is supposed to be a virtue, and I guess it wouldn't be collecting if we could have everything now!

Banned
    ^^^^^ New members please note, the above poster is an internet troll ^^^^^

Sales Corner is an excellent and trustworth resource.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post

Well said Burnsey!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Totally agree, he seems to take joy in posting inflammatory comments.

As someone who's been a member for quite a while but still has less than 250 posts I must say that buying from SC is possible with PM's but the difficulty is picking out the bargains through inexperience. I'm sure some members can spot bargains in there straight away, as well as the ones to be avoided, but for me I'm still learning and I learn through watching what goes quickly and what doesn't sell for weeks.
    I suppose I must be a lurker really because I tend not to post unless I feel I have something to contribute to the thread but hopefully that doesn't make me a bad forum member just not a prolific one. Eventually I might make the 250 mark when I can then start offering some of my initial purchases to newer newbies that might be interested in them and getting some cash in to allow me to buy something a bit more expensive that I will recognise as a good deal through doing my homework over these past 2 years.
    I have noticed that there are some very good looking watches at not bad prices recently but until I'm allowed to post some of my lesser watches I can't afford to buy more expensive ones.
    I'm in no rush and am enjoying the ride :)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Just one more post before you can open Pandora's box!!
    But before you list a watch just make sure AsifG isn't looking for one because Dave+63 will get upset.

There is the entertainment of various Rolexes with faults, that the sellers are trying to pass off as desireable
    features. Supported by other sellers/dealers promoting the attractiveness and rarity of the fault.
    Not everyone pursues perfection, myself included. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean others agree.

“Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Quote Originally Posted by amh82 View Post
    Had similar where a buyer agreed to purchase a watch off me and asked me to send bank details. I was out and about rather than welded to my PC and when I managed to get in front of a computer he said he had bought elsewhere as I'd taken too long.

Around the same time I had another buyer agree an deal only to PM me the next day to say he was drunk and didn't want to proceed.

In the last couple of months I've agreed deals with at least three more buyers on different watches where I've been dicked about. Frankly, I'm not sure whether I can be bothered using SC anymore for anything significant and, after my own banging on about community spirit in other threads, I'm beginning to wonder whether it's a dying concept.

Master
    There does seem to have been a growth in non-watch related stuff over the last 4 months.
    Phones, laptops, iPads, knives, torches and even cars/bikes give a bit of variety,
    but second hand clothes and shoes should really be dropped off down the charity shop.
    Not that i care one way or the other what you think, I'll have you know I got a very good price for my second hand shoes.. I also bagged a lovely Dainese top, Berghaus coat, diesel Jeans, a cracking Barbour for the wife and an Ipod docking station on SC....

The fact that members of TZ are happy to trade, sell and swap,mand even give away, non watch related items amongst each other is a good thing, as it helps each other out...

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Not that i care one way or the other what you think, I'll have you know I got a very good price for my second hand shoes.. I also bagged a lovely Dainese top, Berghaus coat, diesel Jeans, a cracking Barbour for the wife and an Ipod docking station on SC....

The fact that members of TZ are happy to trade, sell and swap,mand even give away, non watch related items amongst each other is a good thing, as it helps each other out...
    And, rather importantly, Eddie likes it that way.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    And, rather importantly, Eddie likes it that way.
    Precisely.....

I love the fact that I can log onto SC, and not have a clue what I might come across....... From a fish tank, to silk ties...
    Brilliant...

The other thing I like is, that I had no intention of buying a docking station for example...... Until I see one on TZ... Then all of a sudden I really need one....Love it

Master
    The entry restrictions serve a useful purpose in helping to assure that people who participate here are reasonably committed to the site (says he, who's in that 50posts/6 months-to-250 post hinterland) and they do offer some genuine security to seller and purchaser - particularly being better able to 'buy the seller'.

One does learn a lot by following sales & comments on interesting watches. Sometimes it's also funny. Sometimes it's not. Either way, participation's voluntary

I agree that selling other goods is fine as long as it doesn't threaten to take over, in which case we could always have a separate Car Boot forum, I guess. Almost all the stuff I see listed is good quality, interesting and often new. Similarly I like Eddie's charitable focus.

I find SC an interesting place although I do agree somewhat with this comment
    'and it is very strange how many unwanted 'brand new' watches are offered for sale. If you don't want your 'brand new' watch take it back for a refund, why would you be selling it at a loss ? Something is not quite right.'

Watches are generally high end purchases, not impulse buys (unless you've had a lottery win) and I can't fathom why there are so many new watches for sale that are unworn. Surely if you purchase something that expensive you'd know that you want to keep it. Generally speaking though this is a slow time of the year to sell anything, unless it's priced keenly, what with Christmas/New Year just gone. I was interested in 2 45mm Planet Oceans that have just sold on SC.

I've noticed more and more posts that start with OT. My suggestion would be to have a separate section or sub section on SC for all non related watch sales, so the ipad/iphones/belstaff bags/wives unwanted gifts/ties/dvds etc could go in there. This way it would save people having to scroll through various pages of non watch relates sales. It could be laid out as follows:

Sales Corner - Watches for Sale or Trade
    Sales Corner - Everything Else (non watch related)

I'm also unable to post on SC, due to not having enough posts, but have PM'd people in regards to sales.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Yeth View Post
    I find SC an interesting place although I do agree somewhat with this comment
    'and it is very strange how many unwanted 'brand new' watches are offered for sale. If you don't want your 'brand new' watch take it back.
    You can't take back a watch for a refund when you taken finance on it, but you can sell it and splash the spondoolies...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Yeth View Post

I've noticed more and more posts that start with OT. My suggestion would be to have a separate section or sub section on SC for all non related watch sales, so the ipad/iphones/belstaff bags/wives unwanted gifts/ties/dvds etc could go in there. This way it would save people having to scroll through various pages of non watch relates sales. It could be laid out as follows:

Sales Corner - Watches for Sale or Trade
    Sales Corner - Everything Else (non watch related)
    Look at the forum headings. The majority aren't watch related. The forum brings together people with a common interest, which in fairness seems to extend past watches to Belstaff jackets and Mont Blanc pens. Admit I'm unsure why someone would buy a worn pair of trainers which the seller hasn't thought to wipe since walking the dog in them, but in general, SC works superbly.

You can't take back a watch for a refund when you taken finance on it, but you can sell it and splash the spondoolies...

Well aware of that fact, but it seems you've missed the point. I would be dead certain that I wanted a watch before buying it on finance only to sell it later perhaps a week or so on and lose money on it.

Look at the forum headings. The majority aren't watch related. The forum brings together people with a common interest, which in fairness seems to extend past watches to Belstaff jackets and Mont Blanc pens. Admit I'm unsure why someone would buy a worn pair of trainers which the seller hasn't thought to wipe since walking the dog in them, but in general, SC works superbly.
    I was solely referring to SC.
    Last edited by Mr Yeth; 3rd February 2013 at 16:10.

It's still there, in the very first line of the "Guidelines for posting on Sales Corner" ........

"Sales corner is for the use of forum members to sell or trade any item, it is not solely for trading watches."
    F.T.F.A.