closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your biggest flipping regret!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Your biggest flipping regret!

I'm a serial flipper, due to my financial position dictated by my terrible and irrational dedication to the trombone and music. To get a job where I could afford to keep the kind of watches I'd like in my collection I'd have to sell my soul to some other profession.

The thing is, I have some real flip regrets. Not many, but a couple that I keep thinking about. I wondered if anyone else similar thoughts about a watch they have traded or sold in our strange tz sub-culture.

Here are a couple of mine that keep coming into my thoughts in no particular order.

Steel fish GMT. What a watch and ra as rocking horse shit. :-( :-( :-(

16753. Sheer class. Had it serviced then traded it in a moment of rolex madness for a 16613. Idiot!!!

My seiko itch keeps coming back. Should have just kept this!!

This is the one that started it al on sc for me. Should have just kept it and I'd be much richer today!!
    Last edited by jrpippen; 31st January 2013 at 21:54.

Haven't got photos, but regret the sequential flipping I did back in about 2005. I flipped my Breitling SOP for a Rolex Sea-Dweller. Don't regret getting the SD, but had sentimental connection to the SOP as it went supersonic with me in an F-18. I then flipped the SD for a GMT-II. What a dumbass!

Saying "I do"

Quote Originally Posted by MuRph77 View Post
    Saying "I do"
    LOL!

Craftsman
    I bought a Hamilton Khaki, sold it cos it was too small. Six months later, I couldn't take it anymore, and bought another one... sold it one month later.

And I think I am going to buy a third. This time I'm keeping it!

my prs 4 .

ROGER !!!! are you listening ...
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

buying a pam090 power reserve off here (SC) - loving it and then a friend falling in love with it within a week of wearing. I did the good thing and passed it on. Now it kills me everytime I see it on his wrist :(

I guess if we didn't have a flipping mentality this forum would be a quieter place.

The white faced MK XV I traded with you John! :o(

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Heuer reissue Monza....

Just bought a tag heuer Monza to replace it!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    The white faced MK XV I traded with you John! :o(
    I miss that one too. She was a belter. The black on on sc is yelling at me!!!!!

I miss the two liner as well. horolgos got that one!

I keep a photo of every watch, a Bit like dexter and his blood slides!

I'm not so fussed about the Rolex, even though it was my first! The MK XV though I do regret, didnt really give it a chance! I'd love another!

Quote Originally Posted by jrpippen View Post
    I miss that one too. She was a belter. The black on on sc is yelling at me!!!!!

I miss the two liner as well. horolgos got that one!

I keep a photo of every watch, a Bit like dexter and his blood slides!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I've not see another, here or in the wild.

Blog Entries
    I hate these threads, always remind me of this:

See here to grasp just what a fool I was: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ter+submariner

Been searching unsuccessfully for another as good ever since :(

Thanks Jon.

Rob

There is only one really: Eddie's PRS11-DN. Whoever bought it, can I have it back please!

Mine was my first "proper" watch and my first automatic. A Tag Aquaracer 2000. I got it BNIB for £100 plus a portable DVD player! Work was running a promotion, I won the DVD player and the other fella got the Tag which he didn't want. So we swapped! :-)

Everytime I look at my Honeymoon pics the Tag is there. My wife thinks I'm shedding a happy tear over the fond memories of the Honeymoon. Little does she know ;-).

Master
    I don't really have a regret yet, though some I feel I could have gotten much more for when at the beginning i was abit more inexperienced.

Craftsman
    Doxa Sub300T Divingstar. The one with the unique bezel for the Marine Nationale.

Master
    Saying "I do"
    Class reply!!

Journeyman
    The Damasko DC66.... I wasn´t thinking !! Tradede it for at 45 mm PO wich was to big!

Miss these....

...and a bunch of others too, some much more expensive. Ask me next week and I'll probably have a different list.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Coffee/bronze dialed DJ I got from J11. Went to ltf then Ben I think.
    I don't have a picture to hand.
    Tried to buy it back a while after flipping but couldn't quite get the funds together at the time after wrecking my car.
    Its still on the forum somewhere.
    I'd trade ALL of my watches for that one back.

Seiko Samurai
    Mkii Vantage
    Dunhill D-Type

I occasionally beg the buyer of only one of these, but I miss them all.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by AIDM View Post
    I hate these threads, always remind me of this:

See here to grasp just what a fool I was: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ter+submariner

Been searching unsuccessfully for another as good ever since :(

Thanks Jon.

Rob
    Wow, with that story I don't think I'd ever be able to sell that, I'd spend hours daydreaming about where it might have been and what stories it could tell "verify our range to target ....... one ping only"

Good luck with the hunt for a replacement.

Master
    Have had 5 Revue Thommen Airspeed chronos through my hands at various times, which lasted between 6 months and 10 years; but the one watch I most regret flipping is the Lemania 5100 powered version, on the left. Great size for a tool watch (38.5mm); not too high, very comfortable to wear; an excellent all-round package with great legibility and reasonable lume. The combination of centre minute chrono plus count-down bezel was ideal for real life use.

From the top of my head, the following: Rolex DD 118238, 116518, 116528 MOP, Cellini Cestelo, DJ 16234 Sodalite, 116200, GMT II Coke, GMT II pepsi, Omega SMP Pro, Omega SMP Pro Chronograph, Aerospace Avantage, I have a problem lol!

Craftsman
    My SMP 2220.80.....only been gone a week
    Attached Images Attached Images

I haven't sold that many, so not sure it classes as flipping, but I do regret two of the three I've sold - my mid-size seamaster and my Seiko FFF. I need to remember that I sold them for good reasons though

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Haven't got photos, but regret the sequential flipping I did back in about 2005. I flipped my Breitling SOP for a Rolex Sea-Dweller. Don't regret getting the SD, but had sentimental connection to the SOP as it went supersonic with me in an F-18. I then flipped the SD for a GMT-II. What a dumbass!
    How did you manage that, exchange?
    And I'd agree, I think you made a mistake!

Master
    Trying not to dwell on it! I am not a fan of Rolex at all - but I flipped my great grandfathers watch, I didn't regret it at the time as it was an Air King and far too small for my wrist, but a year or so on and I do feel regret at chopping it in. Particularly as the watch it went against turned out to be a hopeless waste of time...

It had spent years gathering dust in my draw - plus I had it fully serviced and restored at Rolex. Nevertheless with hindsight a bit of a dumb thing to do. I take solace in the fact that at least it may be worn on a regular basis by its new owner!

Master
    A Zenith Grande Class Reserve De Marche that I bought on here a few years back. 45mm dress watch and in-house movement. Was in with a local dealer a few weeks later and he spotted it. Said he had a client looking for one and offered me a minty used Rolex Sub in exchange. Deal made financial sense as I'd paid about £1500 for the Zenith and Subs were going for £2200 at the time. I did the deal, thinking I could always buy another Zenith. Never seen one since, and sold the Sub about 2 weeks later for £2200. I never thought I'd regret making £700 but I should never have sold that Zenith.

Last edited by Bogmanfan; 1st February 2013 at 13:46.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeBird View Post
    How did you manage that, exchange?
    And I'd agree, I think you made a mistake!
    On exercise. Sold it on ebay I think. Sentimental reasons has got to be the biggest regret as you can't get it back. The regret for the SD was purely money...I sold it for £1800 back in 2007!!!!

are we limiting this discussion solely to watches? if not then my biggest,biggest regret is letting this go...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by scalino65 View Post
    are we limiting this discussion solely to watches? if not then my biggest,biggest regret is letting this go...
    just looking at that again makes me realise how utterly utterly stupid i am.

Master

This, but rectified this week with .......this

Since joining here & the getting the bug my flipping has been fairly relentless & a few were missed.

I went through many higher end (for me, up to £5k) watches with plenty in the range below that but only 1 really bugged me & niggled until i felt i HAD to do something about it.

This one...

Fortunately after a WTB & a forum discussion, this week i landed this

( i know it deserves better pics than this iphone shot but that's all i have for now )

which has more than made up for it!

Master
    I really do only have some small regrets, one a Halios Holotype (that I have tried to replace sometimes) and a vintage Seiko chronograph that I likely never will see again.
    I've bought back some watches that I thought I missed but these ones I acctually do miss from time to time.

Craftsman
    It wasn't my most expensive watch, but I do miss this.....and not so easy to find a replacement:

Craftsman
    I miss my Damasko DA 36

Lovely face

Damasko watches are so well done ,and so hard to find...

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.
    Lol i'd have thought there would have been alot more paticipation in this thread ,maybe it's just tooo painful.
    Last edited by the big fella; 2nd February 2013 at 04:05.

Master
    It's interesting that you bring this up as my one and only regret has been plaguing me quite a lot of late and I have been getting into an irrational state of anger, quietly of course. I just don't understand why I did it as I didn't need the money and I liked the watch a lot, plus, with todays prices, I won't be able to get into the market again. I have managed to calm down and try not to think about it but my one and only flipping regret was a 90's Rolex Sea Dweller.

Thinking about selling my mint black dial Daytona but wonder if I will regret it big time.....had it since new so not really a "flipper" per se.

I regret selling my original expensive watch, an Omega Seamaster bought in about 1999, owned for about 12 years old. Flipped a few since, as they have never been as good as old faithful.
    Also regret selling a Breitling SuperOcean 44.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Saying "I do"

Saying i want a divorce. Without question my most expensive undertaking, ever!

Watch sale regrets? personally none really. They got sold for a reason, some i've owned several times but i still don't regret any sales i can think of.
    Last edited by shadowman; 2nd February 2013 at 14:39.

Remembered another regret: sold a Seiko RAF Gen 2 Chrono on here for £80. This would have been in about 2007 ish. Idiot!

I regret quite a few of my sales, but many have been necessary to fund the journey onto other watches. For example, I miss my Longines Master Chrono Moonphase but I got market price for it and I needed to sell to justify buying something else at the time.

Saying "I do"
    As long as you trade up it's OK

Hello

Longines Legend Diver with date, SBIII Le, Sinn 656 and an Oris Titan for a stupidly low price not on here.

Gone and try to be forgotten!

Journeyman

Rolex submariner military

My biggest regret was selling a military sub about 15 years ago for £2,000. I bought it at auction about 6month before I sold it for £800.00. I thought I had done well at the time making a quick £1,200. That was about the price for one back then, the one I had had a standard bezel and hands but was fully marked on the rear and had the circled T on the face and fixed sping bars.I do have some photos somewhere I shall try and find them.
    It still makes me wince to think I could have paid my house off on the back of that watch if I had kept it the market for them has gone crazy.
    I also missed out on a rolex explorer 2 "steve McQueen" I saw it in Hymans pawnbrokers in leeds for £800.00 At the time I had wanted a Omega speedmaster watch and had saved enough to buy a new one at £595.00 in 1991 I was on my way to buy it and saw the Rolex and thought shall I put the diffrence on my credit card and buy that, I toyed with the Idea and thought no go for the new speedy( which I still have ).

Wayne

The two I always think of in terms of regret are the X-33 and the EZM2 that I let go on here years ago. Both went to fund other watches that I have subsequently moved on. Would love to have them back.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinD View Post
    The two I always think of in terms of regret are the X-33 and the EZM2 that I let go on here years ago. Both went to fund other watches that I have subsequently moved on. Would love to have them back.
    i feel your pain over the EZM2 Gavin, I'd have to be in dire straits indeed before I'd let this go:

Rare as hens teeth to find one for sale, I have a strange urge to buy another but can't remember the last time I saw one for sale. :(

Rob

Without doubt my FP Journe Black Label Calendrier.

Master
    I've regretted letting my mint Seiko pogue go and also the limited edition Revue Thommen pilot watch which was one of my first sales corner purchases.

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms on a bracelet to my sons Godfather. He wears it all the time which just serves to remind me what an awesome all-round watch it was.