closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DE Razor Blades

DE Razor Blades

Guys - I know this has been discussed in the past, but I've just used up a pack of Feather blades in my Gillette Slim. I fancy a change. Any suggestions as to alternatives and where to buy from here in UK?

I use Feather, why would you want to change?

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Guys - I know this has been discussed in the past, but I've just used up a pack of Feather blades in my Gillette Slim. I fancy a change. Any suggestions as to alternatives and where to buy from here in UK?
    Connaught Shaving is the best UK supplier, IMO.

My favourite DE blade at any price are the Supermax Platinums from India, but this is very subjective!

Quote Originally Posted by Snoodles View Post
    I love the first shave from a new blade, but they seem to be hard work by the third use. Plus, one tired slip and your face is ruined for the day. My technique is getting better but I wondered if there was anything more 'forgiving' out there?!

Try Merkur blades. I started on these before trying others. My two favourite blades are Merkur and Feathers now.

I love the first shave from a new blade, but they seem to be hard work by the third use. Plus, one tired slip and your face is ruined for the day. My technique is getting better but I wondered if there was anything more 'forgiving' out there?!

Feathers have a second very fine hone, so by the third shave this will have blunted. Much will also depend on your razor - I only use Feathers, in a Feather AS-DE razor, but anything more than three shaves is Russian roulette.

Try a sample pack from Connaught, and see what suits you.

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Feathers have a second very fine hone, so by the third shave this will have blunted. Much will also depend on your razor - I only use Feathers, in a Feather AS-DE razor, but anything more than three shaves is Russian roulette.

Try a sample pack from Connaught, and see what suits you.

Regards

Ian
    Ian would you say the Feather Razor has an advantage over the Merkur, this is what I use with feather blades! But understand what the OP is saying that they do get a bit blunted after a few shaves! I would still like to try a Gilette Fat Boy!

Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    Try Merkur blades.
    Not often they get a recommendation!

I think different blades suite different beards. I use these Gillettes:-

http://connaughtshaving.com/superthin.html

I have tried Feathers but found they lose sharpness quickly over the Gillettes. I can make the Gillette last up to 5 days. Great blade. Try a sample pack and stick to the ones that suite you best.

Rod

Personna Platinum are fine, but you will keep coming back to Feathers. 3 shaves max.

I love the first shave from a new blade, but they seem to be hard work by the third use
    I've been DE shaving for about 30 years and that's true of every blade I've ever used.

Quote Originally Posted by iml View Post
    I've been DE shaving for about 30 years and that's true of every blade I've ever used.
    I'm being tight about it I know, but for about 50p a blade I'd like to stretch to more than two shaves.

Thanks for the advice - I may try a sample pack and see what suits me best from some of the other manufacturers. Part of me would like to blame the razor (Gillette Slim) so I can bugger about and buy another to try (Gillette Fatboy)...

Ian would you say the Feather Razor has an advantage over the Merkur, this is what I use with feather blades! But understand what the OP is saying that they do get a bit blunted after a few shaves! I would still like to try a Gilette Fat Boy!

Yes. The Feather razor was, as far as I'm aware, designed to use the Feather blades. It's a mild razor, often compared to a Gillette Slim, and the blades are, without question, the sharpest available. It's a combination that works for some, but we're all different.

I'm sure that I saw somebody recommending Merkur blades earlier. I must have been mistaken.

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Craftsman
    Glasgow, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Blog Entries
    Strangely I use feathers and the first shave is always the worst for me. 2nd, 3rd are fine.

DE Razor Blades

I have been using Israeli blades for the last few years. Buy a box of 100 from some American chap on eBay for about £15. Find them better than Merkurs.

Don't listen to them boys. Get Astras. They will last a week and you will change it because it is dirty, not blunt.

Dont even think about Derbys, Bic, Sharks, Dorcos, Treets Anything from India....I will freely give a selection of that list to anyone to test how bad they are.

http://connaughtshaving.com/astrasuper.html

I'm working through a box of 100 Astra Supers at the moment. I get three shaves out of each blade.

In my experience, differences between blades are not that great. Derbys, Astras, Feathers, they all do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    Don't listen to them boys. Get Astras. They will last a week and you will change it because it is dirty, not blunt. Dont even think about Derbys, Bic, Sharks, Dorcos, Treets Anything from India....I will freely give a selection of that list to anyone to test how bad they are.
    Don't listen to anyone, would be better advice.

Astras tear me up and I won't touch them, but of the ones you dismiss, I get get excellent shaves from Bics, pretty much all Treets, and —in particular — Supermax from India. Just proves the old adage, YMMV.

FWIW, my belief has always been that a good DE shave is 80% technique and only 20% razor/blade.

Craftsman
    I'll second this. If you buy 100, they work out at 25p/ per blade and if you get 3 good shaves per blade, I think that's worth 8p a time

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Don't listen to anyone, would be better advice.

Astras tear me up and I won't touch them, but of the ones you dismiss, I get get excellent shaves from Bics, pretty much all Treets, and —in particular — Supermax from India. Just proves the old adage, YMMV.

FWIW, my belief has always been that a good DE shave is 80% technique and only 20% razor/blade.
    Indeed you are correct, We are all different.

Craftsman
    I think that much of it is matching the blade to the razor. I've got a bit of a collection of razors and blades and find that the Feather blades are the sharpest by far. That's great but they are also thinner than most which means that they can flex too much if the blade exposure is too great. I've got a Feather razor which suits the blades perfectly, they're also good in a Fatboy if used on a suitable setting but will take your face off if the blade angle is too open.

Craftsman
    I'm using Dorco at the moment after finishing some Supermax. I find very little difference in most blades except the Walmart Personna's which were appalling, barely able to do 1 shave nevermind 3 or 4. A lot depends on the razor too. I have an old Gillette which is quite mild so would suit Feathers quite well bit Feathers in my Merkur was just positively dangerous.

I would concur that you get a sample pack from Connaught, good guys to deal with.

Mmmm.

Thanks for all the advice. I swung towards a sample pack but then decided that as most people here recommended Feathers, I would just buy 3x10 packs and stop being tight about that third-shave bluntness/face shredding that was causing much of my angst.

I think fair points about technique have been made too. Years and years of using Mach 3s etc. have left me lazy and a bit complacent. Not a good combo with a Feather blade on board!

Master
    Treet or Tiger thought the latter can be a bit of a lucky dip, some seem to last three or four shaves others barely get through one.

Think i must be missing something !never got past Gillette mach 3.Appears there is an underground movement
    of blade users?

I find that cleaning the blade afterwards on a Razor Pit does wonders for extending the life of each blade - it's a piece of silicone that picks up all the gunk which accumulates in the blades. Makes a huge difference, although expensive for what is essentially a piece of rubber, I have spent so much less on blades.

Re: DE Razor Blades

I just use the Wilkinson Sword DE blades. Good for 3 shaves at the most though.

Craftsman
    johnbarker send me an address via pm and ill send you a mixed bag

Thomas Reid
    I use stopped using DE a couple of months after starting, and went back to Gillette Blue II. I get at least a couple of weeks shave from one. Since I shave in the bath/shower and never use a mirror, I do it by feel. I just scrape away until I can't feel any more stubble. :)

Best wishes,
    Bob

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    I use stopped using DE a couple of months after starting, and went back to Gillette Blue II. I get at least a couple of weeks shave from one. Since I shave in the bath/shower and never use a mirror, I do it by feel. I just scrape away until I can't feel any more stubble. :)

Best wishes,
    Bob
    eeek-you sure don't want to be doing that with a feather!

Quote Originally Posted by subzeer0 View Post
    johnbarker send me an address via pm and ill send you a mixed bag
    good idea

john-if you PM your address, I'll do the same.

DE Razor Blades

Heh. Im using an old gillette black beauty and merkur platinums. No idea what im doing at all. Every day is an adventure.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Not often they get a recommendation!
    Tried Feather blades and they were the sharpest of any iv'e had, but are very unforgiving.

My everyday blade is Merkur, sharp but not deadly, last well too.

Journeyman
    I have tried many but my favourite is the Timor Solingen DE Blades. The Merkur, which are more expensive, I didn't like at all. And when stuck, I can always get the Wilkinson Sword DE in the local shop and they are very good.

I use feathers exclusively and buy them by the 100 or 200. Tried others and Derby's were fine. Merkur blade didn't even get through a whole shave, was like shaving with a blunt saw blade.

When you find something you like stick to it and concentrate of your technique. I've been shaving de for years and could do it in the dark if really needed, feather blade and all. No problem.

Don't worry about whether it is 5p a shave or 10p a shave. We are hardly talking vast amounts of money for blade supply even with the most expensive blades.

Using shark blades at the moment seem to be working well, 3/4 shaves max nothing better than a fresh blade though

Master
    Feathers and Derby for me. Both are good for 3 shaves.

hmm surprised by the lack of love for Merkur. I get on really well with them. Merkur and Feathers are the mainstay in my bathroom

Craftsman
    I use Gillette 7 oclock greens. Also with a gillette slim adjustable set to 3. I tried the yellows but they cut my face to shreds. I get 3-4 shaves with a green. Available from ebay sellers or op can pm address to me and I'll stick a pack in the post.

Newcomer to Proper Shaving

Dear all

I have been wet shaving for years with high street brands such as Wilkinson Sword and Gillette. As well as periods of dry shaving with Braun Electric shavers.

I am keen to try proper shaving as it were.

Any recommendations on which razor to go for and which blades?

I have the following that I use for wet shaving, gilette shave, m gel by clinique, Somersets shave gel, Molton Brown Olibanum Shave stuff.

I would look to shave every other day or every 3 days.

Thanks

Ben

I seem to be the only person who also uses Astra! I use Astra Superior Platinum double edge.

I also seem to be the only other person who strops his blades.... advice, always take off the sticky before putting in the razor (Merkur in my case) then strop on an old piece of denim after each shave. Also cleaning the blade, drying and oiling keeps it from getting blunt. I can easily get 5 really comfortable shaves from each edge.
    Another thing I recommend is a good quality brush and proper soap. I have been using men-ü shave crème which lathers beautifully, although a cheaper soap in a dish works pretty well. The brush is key though.

When I have more time I use a straight razor now, although I don't always have the time....
    Last edited by MerlinShepherd; 19th March 2013 at 19:59.

Hello

Thanks for the response.

I see there are lots of other threads on this so will check those as well.

Regards

Ben

A good place to start would be an Edwin Jagger DE89 (around £20-£25) and a set of sampler blades from Connaught Shaving. The razor is well made (don't buy a Parker!) and relatively mild. The sampler pack of blades will include a pack of Feathers. Try those last.

Regards

Ian

Hello

Ian

Thanks very much for that will check it out.

I quite like the look of the Gilette Slim, think I need one which is adjustable and more forgiving.

Regards

Ben

DE Razor Blades

How economical is shaving with a DE safety razor, vs shaving with el cheapo high street multi blades?

I'm lucky in that I can shave with the cheapest, nastiest razors without irritation. I use cheap semi disposable razors I buy from lidl, and I can even get a shave out of them with rust on the blade.

However, I get through a lot of blades shaving my head. Is shaving your head with a DE feasible?

Also, don't you have to buy expensive shaving creams and brushes and stuff to do it this way?

Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    Ian

Thanks very much for that will check it out.

I quite like the look of the Gilette Slim, think I need one which is adjustable and more forgiving.

Regards

Ben
    I got a Slim for the exact same reason. Oh, and Sean Connery used one in a Bond film once too.

Comes highly recommended.

FWIW I'd try Feather blades, but I wouldn't recommend using them to shave your head (mixing responses to different posts now I know).

Hello

Thanks Jon

My hair is short as it is so will not be shaving that.

Regards

Ben

Re: DE Razor Blades

If you are after trying without spending too much, I could knock up a basic kit for you? Razor, cream, blades not sure if I have a spare brush but if I have I'll chuck one in.

Wouldn't want any cash but sure a donation into Eddies fund would be appreciated.

Ben:

You may find it best to start with something which isn't adjustable, hence my recommendation for the Edwin Jagger. It's best to progress in stages, using a good but basic razor, and finding a blade which suits you, before confusing the issue with an adjustable razor.

I used a Jagger, and a Merkur Futur adjustable, before settling on a Feather AS-DE (which isn't adjustable, and is a mild razor, like the Gillette Slim), with Feather blades. But we're all different.

Then, to further confuse you, there is an endless variety of soaps and creams. And brushes. But by far the most important priority is to develop your technique, one step at a time.

Regards

Ian

Hello

Ian
    Will have a look at the Jagger and do some research.

Thanks again
    Ben