closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega or TAG

Omega or TAG

I'm looking to buy a half decent watch for my better half. Ideally I would have liked an auto (she's only ever had quartz) but the price differential is too much.

So after a lot of browsing on the internet she's come up with these two options:

Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra http://www.mappinandwebb.com/product...watch-17330556

TAG Heur Formula 1 http://www.mappinandwebb.com/product...-wah1315ba0868

Similar style, the Omega slightly more understated, both quartz but one is twice the price of the other.

Are there any differences in the movement quality, case finish, detailing etc. to justify the price difference? Would the Omega be a better bet for value retention??

Both watches can be sourced from "Swiss Watches Direct" at a discount, has anyone dealt with them? Could I expect a similar discount at an AD with a bit of haggling??

Value retention is rarely good on any quartz, so please don't buy on that basis. For someone like my wife who isn't interested in watch movements, then a quartz would make sense for her and I'd be buying the Omega. I understand there is a large price difference, but, in years to come I think the Aqua Terra will be the design that is timeless by a Brand that is continually improving. Perhaps Tag is trying too hard to pander to the fashion masses, where the Omega is loyal it's range, even if it has thrown in a few diamonds for fashion purposes...
    Last edited by RossC; 27th January 2013 at 16:44.

Master
    I would consider Omega to be the better manufacturer than Tag and that shows in the price! However I have little knowledge of their quartz movement. Does she want a small watch because if does open up other possible options?

Quote Originally Posted by tim2012 View Post
    I would consider Omega to be the better manufacturer than Tag and that shows in the price! However I have little knowledge of their quartz movement. Does she want a small watch because if does open up other possible options?
    Around 30mm seems about right, larger than traditional ladies watch size but not so big that it looks too masculine.

Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    Value retention is rarely good on any quartz, so please don't buy on that basis. F.
    Who cares about resale value on a watch for the wife? ,Im confused!

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Who cares about resale value on a watch for the wife? ,Im confused!
    What, you mean the girls don't flip??

Seriously, if spending (in the case of the Omega) getting on for £3K it would be nice to know that depreciation wasn't too horrendous!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquavit View Post
    Around 30mm seems about right, larger than traditional ladies watch size but not so big that it looks too masculine.
    That is firmly in the quartz territory. Out of the 2 there is no doubt the AT will stand the test of time.

Perhaps this Auto Omega would be a better buy, if she can do without the diamonds: http://www.swisswatchesdirect.co.uk/...s_watches.html

Anyone had experience of dealing with Swiss Watches Direct?

Master
    General concensus (so far) seems to favour the Omega, as do I. Both are good watches, it's down to which one your wife prefers.

Have you looked at the AT sans diamonds? Much cheaper than the one shown in OP and (IMO) much nicer.
    Last edited by JeremyO; 27th January 2013 at 17:18.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    Have you looked at the AT sans diamonds? Much cheaper than the one shown in OP and (IMO) much nicer.
    Yes I agree - see my above post, but, well you know girls and diamonds ......................

Master
    Yes I agree - see my above post, but, well you know girls and diamonds ......................
    My wife likes her diamonds as much as the next girl but she won't countenance them on a watch.

Blog Entries
    What, you mean the girls don't flip??

Seriously, if spending (in the case of the Omega) getting on for £3K it would be nice to know that depreciation wasn't too horrendous!
    If you are buying new, expect to devalue by 50% off its MRP at the the time if you want to sell. If you sell to a dealer you won't get anywhere near 50% MRP. But hopefully your better half won't go and sell it. Of course insure for the full replacement value - such is life!

I vote for the Omega.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Get a 2nd hand quartz Cartier Santos instead.

She will love you more

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Perhaps this Auto Omega would be a better buy, if she can do without the diamonds: http://www.swisswatchesdirect.co.uk/...s_watches.html

Anyone had experience of dealing with Swiss Watches Direct?
    I would choose this version over the Omega & TAG quartz.
    As as been said, the Omega AT is timeless & as mech-auto, should hold better rresiduals for what it's worth.

Darren

Blog Entries
    I would not consider wearing Tag ever....only Heuer!

Got my daughter the Tag last September from SWD after looking around. Daughter likes the watch , got the best price from SWD. No problems

Craftsman
    None of them.
    I would choose the Colt Oceane.
    Just that little more.....

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Who cares about resale value on a watch for the wife? ,I'm confused!
    Well, the OP does. I was simply answering his question:

Would the Omega be a better bet for value retention??

Get the watch your other half likes.

Unfortunately I don't see either watch being great for retention value ... Get a Rolex or as one poster suggested 2nd hand Cartier or similar if you are concerned with resale.

If Tag continue their ascendence into haute horology they will probably reduce their quartz output and I can see the price of most models rising rapidly but that doesn't mean the F1 range will suddenly become desirable !

Omega or TAG

I would go for the Omega without any question.

I'd say the omega. It'll stand the test of time better and a far better looking watch IMO. I'm just not keen on the whole ceramic thing (apart from subs)! Not really keen on tags either!

Omega or TAG

Omega without question.

Omega, all day. My mate bought his wife a Tag for her 40th and, although lovely, my initial thought was that she could have had an Omega.

Master
    Unless she's asked for an auto, I'd stick with quartz. It's simpler that way...

As for the choice - I'd go with the one she likes the most if monies not an issue - or the Omega if she can't decide.

Thanks for all the input on this, the knowledgeable opinion on here has persuaded her that Omega is the way to go

Probably be looking at the AT automatic minus the diamonds.

Well the Omega is certainly the better looking watch if you had to choose out of those too, but if you're going quartz, why not go for something Japanese at a tenth of the price - then if it's solar powered, you won't have to replace batteries.

Grand Master
    I'm looking to buy a half decent watch for my better half. Ideally I would have liked an auto (she's only ever had quartz) but the price differential is too much.
    Would the Omega be a better bet for value retention??
    What does value retention have to do with it? Are you going to take it off her at the end of the lease and trade it in? :)

It's nonsense that the Omega will somehow "pay you what it owes you" if you come to shift it on later. It's not a Panerai or a vintage Rolex. Both will lose value; in fact the Omega will likely lose in actual terms most of what the TAG would cost you in the first place.

Buy the watch that your other half will appreciate more, not based on which brand is considered superior amongst a bunch of strangers on the internet. I really can't see why you're asking TBH! Have you asked her whether she wants a quartz or would like an automatic at all?
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Journeyman
    Why don´t you let her choose or find out which watch she likes. It could be other brands then Omega or Tagheurer.

Omega without a doubt. Personally i like TAG the least of all high(er) end watch brands (although my guess is your wife could not care less about the brand....)
    Last edited by Chaim; 28th January 2013 at 18:38.

Craftsman

Both nice watches..

And Imo they are of similar quality.

I would choose Tag, because it's sportier and because that Omega model is too much of a "Datejust lookalike," in my book.

What does your better half think?

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    And Imo they are of similar quality.

I would choose Tag, because it's sportier and because that Omega model is too much of a "Datejust lookalike," in my book.

Mmmmm...in fact a pre-owned datejust from a dealer with 12 months warranty could be a good option......in terms of timeless looks and vfm...

Quote Originally Posted by JoePattinson View Post
    I would go for the Omega without any question.
    Me too! Used to like Tag in the past, now has started to become a fashion brand and the status of the Omega is much higher IMHO. You can see that from the prices they are sold as used.

I agree with the opinions that most of the women don't really care about mechanical movements and they like the practicality of the quartz watches better.

Craftsman
    Out of these two, I'd go for the Omega.

TAG has also some very nice ladies quartz watches, but I think the one you posted will not keep its appeal for long...

The Omega looks nicer IMO, but I think she must choose this one..!!

Omega. If she wants a fashion watch there are some Chanel or even better Cartier watches that might hit the mark.
    It's just a matter of time...

I'd usually, say Omega every time, but that Tag is quite nice. I just showed them both to Mrs. Spaceslug and she opted for the Tag.

Another vote for Omega from me, although it does really annoy me that so few manufacturers make proper mechanical watches for ladies

Craftsman
    I think the Omega designs are more catered for older ladies, and the TAGs are more geared towards the younger ladies, with a sportier look..

Quote Originally Posted by oymd View Post
    I think the Omega designs are more catered for older ladies, and the TAGs are more geared towards the younger ladies, with a sportier look..
    That's OK then as mine doesn't fall in to the "younger" category

Omega, it's not even open to discussion!

I bought mrs donkey the basic aqua terra in the summer and she loves it. Her first "proper" watch and i keep catching her looking at it when she wears it. It's elegant, classy and a wee bit different without being very showy and look at me.

Tried the tag too but she didnt feel the love.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Omega, it's not even open to discussion!
    What's this thread for, then? ;)

The Formula 1 is clearly a younger person's fashion-y type watch, which might be a problem for someone preferring a more classic design. The Omega kinds of looks like a Rolex pastiche which might be a problem for those who don't like classic design. QED really.

There is zero practical difference between the movements, (one is a Ronda, the other an ETA) and given the Omega's diamonds and quartz movement, I doubt there is any difference in its value retention either, not that that is remotely relevant in this case.

EDIT: it's an ETA 256. 9 jewels, and a nice enough movement, but not thermocompensated.
    Last edited by andrew; 29th January 2013 at 20:07.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Thanks for all the input on this, the knowledgeable opinion on here has persuaded her that Omega is the way to go

Probably be looking at the AT automatic minus the diamonds.
    A very sound decision, IMHO! Good luck in getting there!

Craftsman
    My SWMBO has the Tag and loves it. She isn't that interested in the brand but loves the white especially with a tan ha ha

Niall

Craftsman
    Omega for me everytime.

To me the Tag is a nicer looking watch

Went to look at these "in the flesh" today, quite a difference to browsing images on the web.

The TAG looked far more shiny and bling in reality, a bit like an expensive ICE watch dare I say. The Aqua Terra (which I had previously looked at in a bigger size for myself) by contrast looked restrained and understated. Whilst some may find this a little bland I think it will stand the test of time.

So it will be the AT with silverline dial in automatic version.

For those who have commented that any retained value is "irrelevant", well it may be for you but for me this will be my biggest watch purchase to date and the potential equity in the piece is of some concern to me if I'm spending circa £3k. If it was a pre-owned watch, at similar money that I was buying for myself off of SC, then I would have no worries over this score as know I could flip it for more or less what I paid for it. This is obviously intended as a keeper but who knows what the future holds?

Thanks again for the input, I'm sure she's made the right choice, with a little help form all on here!