closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tudor is back from service! I'm £315 lighter and watch is 0.5g lighter!

Tudor is back from service! I'm £315 lighter and watch is 0.5g lighter!

I'm fortunate to own a brace of Tudor Hydronauts. I've had the yellow Hydronaut for a couple of years but was only lucky enough to get hold of orange Tiger just a few months back. However the orange needed a service big time as it was nearly 30 secs out per day so it was off to Rolex service centre. Before it went to the watch hospital though I did a couple of comparisons between them.

There were negligible differences - same bracelet version, identical hands and bezels, same triple lock crown etc....... only very slight differences were the markers and the fact that the yellow had 'Hydronaut' whilst the orange had 'Tiger' on the dial. That's it. Identical! No difference between the bracelets, both have12 links in them and are adjusted exactly the same. Except there was a very SLIGHT difference in weight. Yellow weighed 130.0g but orange was 130.9g. Didn't think anything of it at the time.

Fast forward 3 months and orange Tudor came back from Rolex Service Centre just today. They've done a great job on it! The bracelet originally had lots of scratches on it and it looked rather sorry for itself before it was sent off but they've given it a great polish up and it's now just as good as it's yellow sibling.

OK we now get to the main part of this rambling post. Orange has actually lost 0.5g in weight which I can only assume is due to a minute fraction of the metal being rubbed away whilst it got a serious polish! Can't be down to any dirt it was carrying as I gave it a damn good scrub up when I bought it 3 months ago.

In all seriousness it's my first experience of Rolex servicing and I'm very impressed! Nice touch with the servicing booklet and warranty card showing serial no. and watch & bracelet model refs. They've made a 15-year old watch look almost new. £315 well spent methinks. Even though they nicked half a gramme of it......

I'll see what timekeeping is like over next few weeks, it can only be better than it was!
    Last edited by CafeRacer; 26th January 2013 at 23:19.

Master
    Pictures of before and after?

Grand Master
    The weight has got to be your scales, or a new crown or rotor
    RIAC

Yep, good point! Piccies will be published, only after I get a chance with decent daylight

Craftsman
    Guess all the dirt had weight that much! lol

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    The weight has got to be your scales, or a new crown or rotor
    Deffo not the scales, I re-weighed all my watches this evening and not a 0.1g difference between any of them except the orange Tiger. Would a new crown or rotor weigh the same?

I was just thinking the very small loss in weight was due to miniscle pieces of metal from case and bracelet being rubbed away when it was polished. Only slight concern could be for my great great great great to the power of 10 grandchildren in that if it gets serviced 100 times over the next 1,500 years there won't be anything left of it

Pics of freshly serviced orange will hopefully be published tomorrow!

Master
    You weigh your watches???!!!

Good call 100thMonkey, on closer inspection the orange Tudornaut appears to have a new crown! A before and after pic will follow sometime tomorrow

Orange has actually lost 0.5g in weight which I can only assume is due to
    You know how when you take something apart, reassemble it and there is always one spare screw left over...

Banned
    Nonsense. The juju men at Rolex have kept its soul.

looking forward to the pix

I've got a lot of love for hydronauts

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    You weigh your watches???!!!
    Hi Simon, yep! I measure 'em and weigh 'em. Just the once though, on delivery However it has since transpired just this very evening that my personal OCD world (please see footnote) has been shattered as seemingly the watch fairies have nicked a teeny bit of one of my grails.

Footnote: I actually suffer from CDO. It's very similar to OCD but at least with CDO the letters are in alphabetical order......AS EVERYTHING SHOULD BE!!

Quote Originally Posted by CafeRacer View Post
    Footnote: I actually suffer from CDO. It's very similar to OCD but at least with CDO the letters are in alphabetical order......AS EVERYTHING SHOULD BE!!
    Hahaha. That sounds like a Jon Richardson gag! I like it because I can relate to it.

Banned
    Hi Simon, yep! I measure 'em and weigh 'em. Just the once though, on delivery However it has since transpired just this very evening that my personal OCD world (please see footnote) has been shattered as seemingly the watch fairies have nicked a teeny bit of one of my grails.

Your signature is all wrong. There are no weight of watches there and, obviously the watches should be arranged in weight order. On Mondays.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    You know how when you take something apart, reassemble it and there is always one spare screw left over...
    Ah, reminds me of one of life's bitter experiences As a 17-year old I had proudly stripped down and rebuilt the 2-stroke engine in my Yamaha DT175. There was this funny looking clip leftover, didn't think anything of it as of course I had suddenly become an engineering expert. Took the Yammie up the road for a blat. Lots of smoke and then rear wheel locks up due to engine seizure. This clip was apparently a gudegeon pin that connects the piston to the conrod.......probably weighed about 0.5g

Ah, reminds me of one of life's bitter experiences As a 17-year old I had proudly stripped down and rebuilt the 2-stroke engine in my Yamaha DT175. There was this funny looking clip leftover, didn't think anything of it as of course I had suddenly become an engineering expert. Took the Yammie up the road for a blat. Lots of smoke and then rear wheel locks up due to engine seizure. This clip was apparently a gudegeon pin that connects the piston to the conrod.......probably weighed about 0.5g
    nope

that was a gudegeon pin CIRCLIP, I knew what one of them was when I rebuilt my rg125 engine in my youth

as a direct result of my rebuild, I learnt NEVER to reuse them

(the same result you had with the DT)

Spot on Adam, it was gudgeon pin circlip! Pesky things probably weigh no more than 0.5g ? :-)

Just noticed your signature, ride safe!

p.s. I ride a Moto Guzzi thesedays