closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko Monster - Accuracy

Master

Seiko Monster - Accuracy

Offloading some higher end pieces just now as I've a house extension to fund plus a tax bill !!!
    However felt I had to try the new Monster with the new hacking movement.
    Yorkshire watches came to the rescue via Amazon ( incidentally if you go this route rather than evil bay then postage is free !!)
    anyway, arrived last Friday, set time Friday night, wore it and its only gained 3 secs !!!
    Impressed !!

maseman

Quote Originally Posted by maseman View Post
    Offloading some higher end pieces just now as I've a house extension to fund plus a tax bill !!!
    However felt I had to try the new Monster with the new hacking movement.
    Yorkshire watches came to the rescue via Amazon ( incidentally if you go this route rather than evil bay then postage is free !!)
    anyway, arrived last Friday, set time Friday night, wore it and its only gained 3 secs !!!
    Impressed !!

maseman

Thats pretty good, the best i can get out of mine, which is 3 years old is + 3 minutes per day.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Thats pretty good, the best i can get out of mine, which is 3 years old is + 3 minutes per day.
    The best you can get with a service and regulation or just willpower?
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    The best you can get with a service and regulation or just willpower?
    Truthfully, i cant be ar**d trying for better, whats the norm?

i had the baby tuna with the new movement and this around spot on to -1 a day (depending on what i did, wore it out it stayed on, wore whilst sat at work typing all day it dropped 1 sec)

not bad in the slightest (lets be honest its a lot better than 'not bad'

My Black Monster runs exactly right when on the wrist, and around +5secs overnight. I haven't worn it long enough to detemine what it does depending on if it's dial up/crown up/crown down overnight though. I've a feeling the +5 overnight was dial up (in the box) which seems from my experience to make my watches run fastest so I reckon it would run more accurately in a better overnight postion.

They should certainly run better than 3 minutes a day though.

Edited to add I missed the OP mentioning it was one of the new Monsters - mine is one of the old ones, but I would've thought the new ones would be even better.
    Last edited by twhp101; 22nd January 2013 at 16:30.

Quote Originally Posted by twhp101 View Post
    My Black Monster runs exactly right when on the wrist, and around +5secs overnight. I haven't worn it long enough to detemine what it does depending on if it's dial up/crown up/crown down overnight though. I've a feeling the +5 overnight was dial up (in the box) which seems from my experience to make my watches run fastest so I reckon it would run more accurately in a better overnight postion.

They should certainly run better than 3 minutes a day though.
    Could i regulate it, if so any photos?

Could i regulate it, if so any photos?
    You could if you were (extremely) brave and had the correct tools. It's not that difficult, but the screw/lever for regulating is pretty small, and once you'd moved it the only way to test it without a timing machine would be to put the caseback back on and wear it for a day or two, and then go through the same process again.

I don't have the tools, and I've never done it before. If I were to try it, I'd get some practice first before attempting it on something I actually cared about.

Given the tools required and the cost of buying decent quality tools I'd rather send it to someone to get it done. At +3minutes per day at only 3 years old I'd be a bit concerned it needs a bit more than regulating - there are plenty of folk on here that know more about servicing/adjusting watches than me so maybe they'll advise?

I've used Steve at Ryte Time a few times and he's great, but there are also others that are recommended like Duncan at Genesis (not used him personally).

Good luck with it if you do decide to have a go yourself

I haven't measured the accuracy of my Monsters, but they are all within an acceptable margin - I'd notice anything over a minute a day and they don't fall outside of that.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

My reply would be exactly the same as that of ralphy - I own three monsters and the timekeeping on all of them is well within acceptable limits (even though two of them were bought second hand, one is customised and I haven't serviced any of them in the last 5 years!) I too would find a three year old Seiko losing 3 minutes per day unacceptable.

Simon

Thanks for the advice gents, whilst i like to think of myself as capable with all things mechanical, probably best if i dont stick my fingers into something so delicate.

is there a black version? or just the orange?

a pic will be nice if you can put one up mate?

Nick

Craftsman
    mine always seemed to "settle down" after a few weeks of daily wear. I would suggest wear it daily for a few months before regulating.

Quote Originally Posted by needmorewatches View Post
    is there a black version? or just the orange?

a pic will be nice if you can put one up mate?

Nick
    The black one:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

i found this

http://users.tpg.com.au/wookie99/regulatingwatches.html

might be helpful to the guy with the older monster...

Quote Originally Posted by adzman808 View Post
    i found this

http://users.tpg.com.au/wookie99/regulatingwatches.html

might be helpful to the guy with the older monster...
    Nice article, appreciated.

Nice article, appreciated.
    my pleasure

Master
    Mine is about 5 years old and runs somewhere in the region of 1-2 mins fast over a week/10 days of 24 hour per day wear. Never actually set it spot on, but I recon that's good enough for me.

I've not timed my Monster, but I know I can wear it for about 3 days before I notice the timekeeping has drifted...I consider it to be natures way of telling me I'm overdue to 'rotate' to another watch!