closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Would you swap a Milgauss for a Sub?

Craftsman

Would you swap a Milgauss for a Sub?

I am contemplating selling my Milgauss (116400) and have been offered a swap for a Submariner (16610). My Milgauss is a white dial 2009 watch. It had never been used before I bought it in March 2012. The Sub is a 2001 watch with black dial/bezel.

I love my Milgauss and it was a watch I lusted after for a long time. I do wear it a lot but i can't help look at other watches. I currently have a Steinhart Ocean 1 ceramic which I love and it gets the majority of wrist time at the moment. Is the Sub a bit too casual? At the moment I use the Milgauss as my special occasion watch. Could a Sub still be used in the same way and look equally as good with a shirt as the Milgauss does.

I really do not know what to do at the moment. Here are the main watches from my collection at the moment:

Rolex Milgauss:

Tag Heuer Aquaracer:

Steinhart Ocean 1 Ceramic:

Raymond Weil Freelancer:

Incoming - Steinhart Artic Ocean (to give me my Tudor fix for the time being):

Would replacing the Milgauss with a Sub ruin the slight variety of my collection?

don't know

not sure if a 09 MG is a fair swap for a 12yr old sub...

if you did do it, you'd prob flip the Steinhart and the steiny snowflake would become the daily wearer

they say the sub is the wear anywhere type of watch, but the MG is certainly dressier IMHO

Master
    The Sub is a bit more sporty. I think the Milgauss you have fits well in your collection.

Personally - yes.

Not a Milgauss fan so it's an easy decision.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

It will probably seem a very good deal in the next few years - but I do like the case of the milgauss, a lot.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I'd keep the 116400 and sell the rest, to get a 16610.

This will get you an unique dressy/special occasion watch, as well as an iconic watch.

Quote Originally Posted by esm View Post

This will get you an unique dressy/special occasion watch, as well as an iconic watch.
    Much better option :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Love the Milgauss but the Sub is much more versatile.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Master
    Milgauss all the way. im a dive fan but cant warm to the submariner. they just make me nod off.

Grand Master

+1....keep the 116400 and save up for a decent Sub. Aim to build a collection over a period of time rather than get rid of something you like .

Paul

Agree 100%. Keeps the Milgauss, sell the rest & get the Sub.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    Agree 100%. Keeps the Milgauss, sell the rest & get the Sub.
    The Raymond Weil is a keeper. 21st birthday present and the watch that kicked off this crazy obsession. I doubt I could sell the Tag for a price I would be happy to let it go for - I love that watch. So I don't think the value is there in the rest of my collection. Anyway, if I was buying then I think I'd opt for a Tudor Pelagos before going for a Sub.

I wouldn't. Imho Milgauss is better looking watch and way more versatile design wise: a perfect combination of dressy and sporty. Sub on the other hand is more to the sporty side.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's a big yes from me,mind you I do love my Sub

Considering your other watches (i.e. includes two divers), the Milgauss compliments them very well IMO - it's a sport/formal hybrid that dresses up very well. A Sub would be too much like the Steinhart.

As has been said, you'd be better keeping the Mil, trading another/others, and getting a Sub at some point.

Master
    Don't like the Milgauss so I'd swap for a Sub any day... not sure if for 2001 though...(I'd get tritium or ine of the last ones with SEL)

Master
    No, I wouldn't swap a 2009 Milgauss for a 2001 Sub.

If you want a sub then I would sell the Milgauss and buy a sub of comparative age and condition.

Master
    Nope I wouldn't swap. If it was a ceramic Sub then that's another matter. I expect that after the solidity of the Milgauss you'll find the Sub a let down.

I have all three modern Milgauss, two Sub-Cs and two SDs - I have had a couple of older Subs (date and non-date) and I don't miss them, least of all the date one. Interestingly if you were debating between a Sea Dweller of the Milgauss my answer would be less clear cut.

In a flash.......................But perhaps that is because I don't like the Milglauss.

No keep the Milgauss, for me it shows a bit of difference. Or sell the Migauss and get an Explorer.

Craftsman
    If you flipped it for the sub, you could give it a go then flip back again, you wouldn't be losing anything, plenty of white faced mils out there to trade back with. I personally would change mine, maybe only for the new ND, the clasp on the old one would drive me potty.

Very simply, no - you might miss the Milgauss

I have owned both and found the sub a lot more versatile. Easy to change back, if you regret it. Having said that, I have a 42mm Explorer now and much prefer it to both (although I still have a 64 5513, which is very different from the current range).

I would only trade the Milgauss for a no date sub.
    Preferably 5513 (plexi).

Personal taste obviously, but I've never been a Milgauss fan and love my 16610. So for me it's a no-brainer - go for the Sub!

I would mate cannot beat a sub no brainer for me looks classy with a shirt on too or casual great all rounder hang your self

I would only do it for an interesting vintage sub. Personally, I find the modern subs a little too ubiquitous and unexciting. But something from, say, the 60s and 70s is a different story.

I would because I'm not also a fan of the Milgauss. As to dress codes, I can't comment because the farthest I go is to swap blue jeans by black or grey ones

That said, I would maybe look at other watches since you already have the Steinhart and feel ok with it. But the question seems to be between yours that you love and a sub, so I'm guessing the answer for you is no...

Journeyman
    The sub would need to be Rolex serviced very recently and all the paperwork. Even so 2009 mint watch for a 2001 would concern me.

Quote Originally Posted by closetothebrink View Post
    Personal taste obviously, but I've never been a Milgauss fan and love my 16610. So for me it's a no-brainer - go for the Sub!
    +1.........

Craftsman
    I don't think I'd swap for a 12 year old sub even though it'd be my preferred choice from the two if I was buying one or the other.

I'd order the Snowflake and move on the Ceramic

Banned

Cool

No not for that Milgauss any way, i would get it on a black nato and keep it.
    Last edited by jimmerjammer; 21st January 2013 at 18:20.

Master
    No I would not - I would be greedy and want to have both - which I do - Hehehehehehhehe

Just out of curiosity... how much money would you get by selling the MIlgauss and what would that buy you on the SC? Could that be a better deal regarding getting a more recent sub or something else? Tudor Pelagus for example? (no idea on prices, so don't bash my skull in if it's a silly idea)

Blog Entries
    As a 116400GV and 16610LV owner, all i can say is that you will regret it. The Sub is a wonderful watch, however it doesn't feel anywhere near as special as the 116400. If you haven't already, find one and try it on and make your own mind up, however from personal experience, the Sub feels like a cheap watch compared to the Milguass.

100% agree. The 'lookalikes' are a waste of money imho. The Milly is great especially the white one and a Sub is a timeless classic. You'll not loose a penny on either.

Craftsman
    Just to update, I have decided not to trade for the Sub. I would love a Sub but not at the expense of my Milgauss. I like the variety that it offers and that sense of occasion when wearing it. If i do sell or trade it then it will be for something a bit different. There are a few JLC's in the SC that I have my eye on :-)

Grand Master
    I would chose a Sub over a Milgauss all day long and I include the GV in that statement
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by easty-5 View Post
    Just to update, I have decided not to trade for the Sub. I would love a Sub but not at the expense of my Milgauss. I like the variety that it offers and that sense of occasion when wearing it. If i do sell or trade it then it will be for something a bit different. There are a few JLC's in the SC that I have my eye on :-)
    I was just about to post that if you love the Milgauss then you shouldn't let it go. So in my opinion you've definitely made the right choice.

No, I wouldn't swap a 2009 Milgauss for a 2001 Sub.

If you want a sub then I would sell the Milgauss and buy a sub of comparative age and condition.
    Pretty much sums it up for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely8 View Post
    I was just about to post that if you love the Milgauss then you shouldn't let it go. So in my opinion you've definitely made the right choice.
    +1 for the above, your current selection is nicely balanced. Every time i trade something i like (bikes, cars, bicycles) for a marginal gain i end up regretting it