closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Panerai just died

Panerai just died

Hi guys

My one week old PAM359 has just died. I tried to adjust the time, once I pushed the crown back in the movement had stopped completely. Winding it has no effect and I can see through the case back that everything has stopped.

I've let the vendor know and I'm sure they will sort it out however I would like the watch back ASAP so does anyone have any experience of something similar happening and maybe have an idea as to what it is?

Poor PAM 😰

Banned
    Poor PAM i hope you get it sorted.

No surprises there. Sorry to hear but I am still yet to be convinced of the quality of their in house movements

- - - Updated - - -

No surprises there. Sorry to hear but I am still yet to be convinced of the quality of their in house movements

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I'm still yet to be convinced of the quality of their watches .

Master

Panerai just died

Sorry to hear that. Hope it gets fixed fast.

Take pictures of the watch before it goes back to Panerai, that way if they damage it they cannot try and blame you...

Blog Entries
    And here starteth the next Blowers saga chapter, unlucky stuff there Ryan.

Panerai just died

Well thing is I like the watch so I'm probably going to pop into Selfridges an see the Panerai guys there and get it sorted under warranty.

Sorts out my 'what to have in my rotation' problem at least lol

Master
    Sorry to hear about that Ryan I used to adore the Panerai look and feel of their watches
    and ended up buying a brand new 104 from Mallory's.
    After 3 months very light use I noticed the crown getting slightly harder to wind and a small grinding
    noise upon winding the movement, and when I pushed the crown back in a definate sound of diminishing metal
    and pop the crown went loose and the tight feeling had turnt to complete stiffness. I took it back
    to Mallory's who were excellent and sent the watch back for repair under warranty and the report
    came back as a broken stem but no reason why it had sheared so early in its life.
    The watch came back 6-7 weeks later with no apology or recompense for my time and travel to get
    the issued repaired and so I then decided to sell it on and that was my last ever Panerai.
    I still luv the look of Panerai's and the 50's case is just gorgeous in the flesh but their reliability has
    been tarnished for me at least which is sad as at the price bracket they set their stall at you wouldn't
    be expecting to return a new watch after such a short time.

Master
    Does not sound good. Hopefully will get fixed under warranty.

Grand Master
    Its under warranty so no big deal, its a machine they all have the potential to go wrong at some point these things happen, you cant blame Panerai, Ive had a few over the last decade and they have been some of the most reliable timekeepers to date.
    RIAC

I had heard that Panerai's quality was not as good as it should :-( I just hope they get it fixed really quick for you. I have the Panerai Catalogue next to me and have been eyeing up the PAM005. Would be interested on your feedback on how your dealings with Panerai go?

Panerai just died

I had a 005 which just stopped when it was about a month old - off it went for a service, came back 4 weeks later with the 'springbar' screws glued in (the AD couldn't loosen them, it was the permanent loctite - and I'd sent it in strapless so I couldn't fit a strap back on) - so it went back again, came back a month later badly scratched.......so I got a refund. Then a Rolex which worked properly. I then had a destro 219 (I think?) - which was fine, however re crown guard nearly fell off and I decided to screw it back together myself instead of letting their useless service dept fix it. Never had another, and this is back when they were around £2k!

Craftsman
    i've had a Pam 268 for awhile now.has not given me any issues so im lucky maybe?

feels like a really solid watch to me but maybe it depends on the model.

Panerai just died

Quote Originally Posted by Shin View Post
    i've had a Pam 268 for awhile now.has not given me any issues so im lucky maybe?

feels like a really solid watch to me but maybe it depends on the model.
    Mine were both G series I think (it was a while ago , I've lost track of Panerai- I bought a few in quick succession in 2001-2002) anyhow, I seem to remember there were a few quality issues for a couple of years, perhaps they've improved. They were mostly pre-sandwich hand wound variants, I remember reading on Paneristi at the time that there had been issues with certain models at that time.
    Funny really, I loved Panerai for a while then completely lost interest. I've never experienced such a complete u-turn on any other brand. To be honest I can't really explain why!?!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Mine were both G series I think (it was a while ago , I've lost track of Panerai- I bought a few in quick succession in 2001-2002) anyhow, I seem to remember there were a few quality issues for a couple of years, perhaps they've improved. They were mostly pre-sandwich hand wound variants, I remember reading on Paneristi at the time that there had been issues with certain models at that time.
    Funny really, I loved Panerai for a while then completely lost interest. I've never experienced such a complete u-turn on any other brand. To be honest I can't really explain why!?!
    I did the same, loved them, lost them, then returned to them and have got just what I want in the line up now and it is my daily wearer
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Funny that i feel the same way. I'm no longer drawn to them. They all look the same to me nowadays.

To OP - sorry to hear that and hope it will sorted out. A consolation - i used to own a Zenith Defy with Elite movement and it went in and out of Service Centre 6 times (twice to Switzerland HQ) because it kept stopping. I swore never a Zenith in my collection anymore. I'd given them enough chances to redeem themselves.

Panerai just died

The advice to take detailed photos before sending it back is excellent.

Mixed reviews from the Panerai service dept of Richemont.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    Mixed reviews from the Panerai service dept of Richemont.
    I think the word ´service´ should not be used for anything Richemont.
    Even ´after sales´ would give the wrong impression.
    Better use ´secondary sales´.

I wonder if the reviews on the variously branded secondary sales departments of Richemont are ´mixed´ though.
    I ´ve read is simply meeting the very high priced contractual obligations = only what they múst do = in reality nothing positive to write about.
    For ´mixed´ there need to be a balancing assortment of reports of them doing móre than one should expect form their Veblen priced high end brands.
    Can you link to a report of them doing something éxtra for free, going fúrther than overpaid for?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Hi guys

My one week old PAM359 has just died. I tried to adjust the time, once I pushed the crown back in the movement had stopped completely. Winding it has no effect and I can see through the case back that everything has stopped.

I've let the vendor know and I'm sure they will sort it out however I would like the watch back ASAP so does anyone have any experience of something similar happening and maybe have an idea as to what it is?

Poor PAM 
    Sorry to hear that. Insist on a full refund and buy yourself a homage for around £100. The quality is about the same.

Had a PAM62 albeit with a Zenith movement inside for the past 14 years between my Dad and I. Never been serviced, although has only been worn sparingly. No problems to date.

I have my reservations about their "in-house" movements. Huge threads on them in Paneristi.
    "in-house" seems to be quite a loose term.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mav66 View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Insist on a full refund and buy yourself a homage for around £100. The quality is about the same.
    Nice one.

Panerai just died

My 270 had to go back as it wasn't holding its reserve. No worse or better than any other manufacturer to be honest.

Never had a problem with my other Panerai's

Malc

Master
    Blog Entries
    It could easily have sustained a knock prior to purchase. Rather OTT to condemn something without knowing why it's failed, and sillier still to judge an entire brand on one failure until the facts are known.

If it came from Blowers? why not seek a refund and just buy another, which shouldn't be difficult on that model.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hi Ryan

My Pany died after about a month it too was from Blowers. Mine is the 0113 ETA movement and the main spring went, the watch was a 2005. I rang Blowers sent it back to them, had it back in 8 days, job done.

Paul
    Last edited by hilly10; 20th January 2013 at 13:44.

Craftsman
    Too bad but noblesse oblige. They will fix it properly I'm sure!!
    Jur