closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I was warned about this

Apprentice

I was warned about this

The grail arrived a few weeks ago in the guise of a Speedy Pro and I always thought that that would be it, I'd be completely satiated, not a bit of it, if anything it's fired up my lust, is this normal?

Completely normal. The great thing about Grails is, as soon as you get one, another fills its spot.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

What seems to be the issue ? What were you expecting to happen when it arrived ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Reproman View Post
    The grail arrived a few weeks ago in the guise of a Speedy Pro and I always thought that that would be it, I'd be completely satiated, not a bit of it, if anything it's fired up my lust, is this normal?
    Tom Jones syndrome I'm afraid. It's not unusual.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    What seems to be the issue ? What were you expecting to happen when it arrived ?
    There's no issue, i suppose i foolishly thought that i'd be cured

Blog Entries
    No cure mate it will get worse trust me lol

There's no issue, i suppose i foolishly thought that i'd be cured
    What watches do you own ? Just a Speedy ?

I love my Speedie, i love owning a wind up watch and it keeps great time and like everyone says it is a very versatile watch. Dressy or tool.

I'll be honest though and say that i also thought i would be happy with a dive watch, a speedie and a G-Shock. But recently i have been thinking to myself "how about a dive beater watch as well ?, like a Tudor Pelagos" lol.

I wouldn't say so, no. It seems... well, a bit weird.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    What watches do you own ? Just a Speedy ?

I love my Speedie, i love owning a wind up watch and it keeps great time and like everyone says it is a very versatile watch. Dressy or tool.

I'll be honest though and say that i also thought i would be happy with a dive watch, a speedie and a G-Shock. But recently i have been thinking to myself "how about a dive beater watch as well ?, like a Tudor Pelagos" lol.
    In addition to the Speedy i have a Seiko 6139 Pepsi, Seiko 7a38 PVD, a Citizen Promaster, G shock CGGA100-1A and some other fairly basic fare, I now seem to have a hankering for an upmarket diver, I'm quite taken with the Oris small seconds, any views on this?

Master
    The fun is in the chase, I love collecting but there always somthing else that catches my eye:-)

You might try Prozac. Otherwise you're lost.

I don't really do grails, but I always tell myself the next acquisition will 'complete' my collection.
    it never does!

'Fired up my lust'

I have never heard anyone sum up that surge of desire for a new watch so perfectly.

Martin.

Master
    I think for most of us unlucky souls there is only the current grail, not the final grail.

I thought the definition of 'grail' was the 'ultimate, final thing'.

I think calling something a "current grail" is a contradiction in terms :).

I have always wanted a Breitling, and finally last week I treated myself to this...

I am in love with it and currently vow that I will keep it forever. But... is it my ultimate, now-I'm-totally-satisfied-and-never-want-to-buy-another-watch-ever grail?

Probably not :)

It's a disease, y'know.

Simon

It sounds like you are a step away from turning into one of those 'different' people who buy stuff only to stick it into the wardrobe unworn the minute they get home and pull out the catalogue to plot their next purchase. I recommend a healthy dose of thrapping oneself with a birch twig, followed by liberal application of vinegar mixed with salt to the wounds, an efficacious treatment to rid you of those unhealthy lustful thoughts.

Craftsman
    Human nature I guess..

Craftsman
    been there, done that, the virus never stops :)

Apprentice
    Its hopeless. Once the sickness is in your system all is lost. I know this from bitter experience. Like a junkie looking for "just one more fix, I can give it up anytime I want.."

The trick is not to fight it too hard, otherwise you will always be miserable. Give in to it. embrace it, welcome it even - thats the way to happiness....and a s**t load of watches!

Master
    Once you start there is no finish line. A Grail fails once you find it and off you go again.

Master
    The grail is dead. Long live the grail.

I think the concept of the Exit Watch is an interesting one. Has a finality about it.

I'm going through a process of ebaying EVERYTHING including Bracelets etc. Anything that doesn't go is back into the watch box and I'm putting a padlock on, throwing the key and putting it in a far dark corner of the loft that only the kids can get to.

The contingency EW is a Modded SKX that I'm working on - my very first project. If I've made it, might be less inclined to flip. I'm putting my heart and soul into it with EVERY element EXACTLY what I want.

This will only change if I get a DN GMT.

Or if I win the Lottery. Then it's on . . . .

It's a sickness.

Martin.

Seems like the common starting point!

I saw and fell in love with a vintage Cosmonaute, after a few years I bought one, but much as I still love it, within months I had a Speedmaster Pro and a Seamaster 30!

I have about 5 other watches in my sights too, although none that I lust after enough to just spring for!

M

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I thought the definition of 'grail' was the 'ultimate, final thing'.

I think calling something a "current grail" is a contradiction in terms :).

I have always wanted a Breitling, and finally last week I treated myself to this...

I am in love with it and currently vow that I will keep it forever. But... is it my ultimate, now-I'm-totally-satisfied-and-never-want-to-buy-another-watch-ever grail?

Probably not :)

It's a disease, y'know.

Simon
    Of course its a contradiction, haha, I think alot of us call it a grail in the hope that this will stop us from pursuing another as this is the last ultimate watch... but it never lasts... unless you then switch of the internet forever!

BTW Ive got a blue Steelfish and I dont think Ill ever sell it so maybe this might develop into a kind of grail in reverse...

Quote Originally Posted by Retep View Post
    You might try Prozac. Otherwise you're lost.
    I agree totally. Prozac do some great models. Their divers are beautifully made and they do a great series of dress watches....