closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My EXP II 42mm three weeks in.

Master
    Blog Entries

My EXP II 42mm three weeks in.

I wouldn't say this was an impulse purchase as i'd thought about one off and on for some time, but the festive season lull stirred my wants and a purchase was finally made on Dec 29th.

Three weeks in i'm impressed. After some slight erratic behaviour initially, it has settled down to +/- 1 second consistently, and so far has not stepped out of that range, whether worn or rested crown vertically up

I'm a bit OCD as some members know, so i spent some time setting it such that the seconds hand hits centre exactly as the minute hand is bang on the marker, whichever one it is. Maybe i shouldn't be, but i don't have many pieces (two) with seconds display but this i think is impressive. My long gone Daytona was similarly accurate but not the GMT II as i recall.

The reasons for stepping out of the Panerai box are several which i won't go into now, but in later life i find less is more and if i do scale back to one watch i am pretty confident i now own it. It's all i or anyone needs imo, does what it's designed to do well, looks stylish without being outright sporty and is smart enough for cuffed shirts. All in all i'm very happy with this and a number of Panerai's have literally not seen daylight since it arrived, which tells me a lot!

You all know what these look like but here's few (average) pics as i had the camera out anyway

Last edited by shadowman; 18th January 2013 at 16:58.

Love it.

If I was starting fresh - I probably be looking at the EXPII, DSSD and a Planet Ocean. I am sure there would be room for a dress watch somewhere.

When I have some spare funds, I'll add another EXPII
    It's just a matter of time...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Baz, if you are thinking of selling any PAMs....................

Master
    Well done, that looks great.

Craftsman
    I don't think i'm alone in lusting after a Rolex sub but as time goes by, the exp II 42mm looks much more appealing
    and at 42mm would look better on my wrist as well . Cool watch imho and not a bad watch to chase down next .

Yep, one day.....

Master
    Lovely watch.
    I bought my black faced Exp II from new and it is the watch I have kept the longest.
    I recently have thought about swapping for a Ceramic Sub no Date , then I wear it for a day or two , and think again !

lovely watch looks great

Banned
    A change is as good as a rest.

I love these though I would go for the black version.

Great choice..

Enjoy it Baz , i don't own one but it's a great looking watch.

Looks fantastic, congrats!

Journeyman
    There is something about the Explorer , very nice

Baz has bonded with a Rolex- bloody hell!
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

congrats

i'm such a fan of the white exp (I know I bought the 114060!!) but the exp is such a great looking watch

Grand Master
    Interesting shift for you Baz, I think its a nice piece and certainly one of the top 5 white dials out there, I find I have a love for all brands but favour offering from Rolex, Panerai most like yourself
    RIAC

I love this model , the best exp by far

Remove the cyclops and 2nd TZ hand, and I'd like this watch. However, I can appreciate the attraction. Enjoy!

I think now that everyone has "settled down" to the Exp II 42mm, it's getting the recognitition that it deserves. I've liked it as soon as I saw one in person.

Good on you mate.....

I've had my black ExpII for 18 months or so and it's only since it became my daily wearer three weeks ago that I've truly bonded with it.
    Lots of other watches look better to me in pic's but the 216570's gotta be worn to be fully appreciated I reckon.

Nice watch, I'vealways liked the Rolex Explorers - a classic that doesn't look ostentatious.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's gratifying it seems to have general approval. As to the Cyclops? personally, i regard that as almost a Rolex trademark, if you don't like 'em simply buy another brand. With age impaired vision, i find it extremely useful for the rare occasion i need to know the date via a watch.

It ticks enough boxes for me such that i have actually been contemplating the black model as well, though i'm less keen on the handset detail as i noted recently just after the purchase of this white dial example. That though would immediately erode the 'just one watch' possibility for the future!

For now anyway, all is good
    Last edited by shadowman; 19th January 2013 at 12:58.

Blog Entries
    I bought mine because all my other watches have black dials, its nice to have a change every few weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Baz has bonded with a Rolex- bloody hell!
    It's only 3 weeks in, who know what might happen?
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    That has to be my next expensive watch, love it & like a previous post a great change from my black dialled watched.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    It's only 3 weeks in, who know what might happen?

See my own caveat above

Great watch, stick it on an orange nato/rubber for the summer months

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Interesting shift for you Baz, I think its a nice piece and certainly one of the top 5 white dials out there, I find I have a love for all brands but favour offering from Rolex, Panerai most like yourself
    Lol, your quotes from only 2 months ago Kerry!
    "the white is OK but only a number of watches are great with white dials and this isnt one of them"
    &
    "Black is the bomb, theres only one white dial Rolex worth having"......

I really like the new 42mm Rolex Explorer 2 and already regret selling mine, very nice.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    Lol, your quotes from only 2 months ago Kerry!
    "the white is OK but only a number of watches are great with white dials and this isnt one of them"
    &
    "Black is the bomb, theres only one white dial Rolex worth having"......

I really like the new 42mm Rolex Explorer 2 and already regret selling mine, very nice.
    Like a fine wine I am maturing to them, still maintain the Daytona white dial is fantastic but these are growing on me and to be fair theres not alot of white dial competition!

Rolex seem to spend alot of time researching and developing and sometimes your initial thoughts arent always right, one thing I do believe is true is that white dial watches appear larger than their black counterparts they seem to have more pop
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Like a fine wine I am maturing to them, still maintain the Daytona white dial is fantastic but these are growing on me and to be fair theres not alot of white dial competition!

Rolex seem to spend alot of time researching and developing and sometimes your initial thoughts arent always right, one thing I do believe is true is that white dial watches appear larger than their black counterparts they seem to have more pop
    The White dial Rolex Daytona is actually my favourite sports Rolex and definitely on my wish list, sadly I'm a long way off affording one at the moment.....

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    The White dial Rolex Daytona is actually my favourite sports Rolex and definitely on my wish list, sadly I'm a long way off affording one at the moment.....
    But youve had a few in the past so at least you have had the pleasure
    RIAC

Master
    I wasn't sure about the white faced Explorer..... Until I saw it in the flesh.. It has to be amongst the most easily read watches I've owned... Size and weight are just about spot on, and as I spend a few months in Europe every year the GMT function is genuinely useful...

If I had to choose between the Explorer and the GMT master... The Ex would win every time

I took two previous attempts at a Rolex before I found one that I really liked, and it's the smaller version of the white dialled Exp II. Mine is from 2001, recently bought on this forum and I haven't taken it off since. Been wearing it every day since it arrived, and I totally see the attraction of the bigger brother if you have wrists that can handle it, mine need a smaller watch so the smaller version fits perfectly. Good choice and wear in good health.
    Last edited by MerlinShepherd; 19th January 2013 at 23:12.

Craftsman
    very nice.. now i want one too!

Great looking watch. The 42mm is a bit out of reach for me at the moment but the older model will hopefully be on my wrist soon.

I've never really been a massive Rolex fan but the Explorer certainly does it for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Yeth View Post
    Great watch, stick it on an orange nato/rubber for the summer months

Voila !

^^^perfect combination.

Apprentice
    I bought a white dialled EXPII 42mm at the end of November and at the time I had a terrible time trying to decide white or black.
    I went with White and it has not left my wrist since. It is my favourite Rolex of all time. I would recommend it very highly to anybody

Master
    Never really 'got' the whole Rolex thing myself. This though is the one model that I could see myself owning/wearing. White or black, I just don't know. I also would struggle to decide between the 40mm or the 42 for optimum fit on my 7" wrist.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    Never really 'got' the whole Rolex thing myself. This though is the one model that I could see myself owning/wearing. White or black, I just don't know. I also would struggle to decide between the 40mm or the 42 for optimum fit on my 7" wrist.
    What's to "get"?

It was the black for me though. Maybe one day I'll try a white one.

Love the pic on the orange nato........just ordered one :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchmad View Post
    What's to "get"?
    Maybe the wrong choice of words.

Not only have I never been able to afford one, I haven’t really ever wanted to buy/own a Rolex. It’s a personal taste thing and they have just never appealed to me. I do now though find that my tastes are changing. They’re still generally way beyond my means, but now I think I understand more why people are willing to pay as much for a watch as I would for a car.

As my previous post stated, the Explorer II is one Rolex I think I would like to own. Maybe one day I will and I’m sure if/when I do I will become a convert!

Whatever the watch, it's always good to read a proud new owner's report and see some pics! Well done OP.

Master
    sold one a while ago and regretted it almost as soon as it went through the door. ordered another within days and now love it to bits, so much so i daren't take the stickers off!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wearing it right now and a lot.

I've worn my bronze Anonimo a few times when more casually attired, but a Panerai has not been on my wrist since the Rolex arrived. Oh dear

Oh the accuracy is still there too.

Stunning watch Baz.

I've been on the fence for a while in regard to exp II white or black, I also own one or two Panerai, all either black or brown dial so the white dial would seem to be the right way to go for a bit of difference.

I would however have to sell one of my Panerai to fund a white Exp II. But which?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Oranges10 View Post

Voila !

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ichaice View Post
    Is it time to change your signature yet?

Seriously I'm glad you're still enjoying it.

No signature changes just yet

Master
    Looks awesome!! Congrats!!

Sorry not for me, still don't like them.
    IMHO an oversized caricature of the elegant original, the face has that fisher-price 'my first watch' look about it. And the case is too stepped from the bracelet to flow neatly from one to the other.
    I wouldn't mind an original orange hand though!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    Sorry not for me, still don't like them.
    IMHO an oversized caricature of the elegant original, the face has that fisher-price 'my first watch' look about it. And the case is too stepped from the bracelet to flow neatly from one to the other.
    I wouldn't mind an original orange hand though!

I can see your comments regarding the lugs and bracelet applying to the GMT and Sub C's, but cant see any issues with the 42mm Explorer? The lugs taper in proportion just like all the older 40mm models across the range. That detail is one reason why i bought an Explorer over it's smaller ceramic brethren.

The dial? well like with everything, some details we like some we don't. It works well for me

Craftsman
    gorgeous watch...