closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Size of original Mark XI and other military watches

Grand Master

Size of original Mark XI and other military watches

Hello all,

I have been intrigued by the fact that most military watches dating from WWII and later are rather small in diameter, say usually between 32 and 36mm (unless based on a pocket watch movement like the German Fliegeruhren :wink: ). See e.g. the American A-11 watches, the British Mark X and XI lines (the latter had even a soft iron inner case), and most American field watches up to the present day.

(1) Does anyone know the approximate physical dimensions of the Mark XI line of watches by IWC, JLC etc. :?:

(2) Is there a perticular reason for the relatively small size of military watches :?: Less weight perhaps, though that can't be much? Less chance of being banged? Cheaper to produce?

Many thanks and best regards,

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Hello Crusader,

I'm no expert on military watches but contemporary watches were certainly smaller than todays, often between 30 - 34mm so I would think that WW2 military watches just followed the fashion and utilised the casemaking tooling already set up.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Here's one I sold a couple of years ago. Ignore all the html tags, I just lifted this from my posting.

<table border="1" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="2" width="630">

<tr>

<td align="center" width="100">
    </td>

<td valign="top" rowspan="2" width="430">
    <font size="-1" color="red">
    IWC Mk XI Royal Air Force - 1951
    </font>

<font size="-1">If this isn't the ultimate collectible military watch, then it has to come close. I have seen more written about these than any other military timepiece. This one was a chance find in a Scottish auction room, the last place I would have expected to find something like this.

The watch appears to be 100% original, having never been polished or refinished. The case is in good condition with a number of small scratches and a ding on the bezel adjacent to the 2. The dial is original and excellent but the luminous filling on the minute hand is quite seriously discoloured.

<font color="blue">Dimensions:</font> 36 mm &oslash;, 46.3 mm lug to lug (fixed lugs) and 12.8 mm thick (to the top of the crystal). Lug spacing is 18 mm.

<font color="blue">Movement:</font> IWC calibre 89. I do not know when this movement was last serviced and would recommend an immediate service. The internal soft iron dust cover has some rust spotting but the movement is free from rust.

The screw back is inscribed with authentic military markings indicating that this was RAF issue, dating from 1951.

The watch will be supplied on a genuine NATO/G10 strap of the buyer's choice in either grey, green or black.

Here's a view of the movement.

Here's a close-up of the bridge.

</p>
    </td>

<font size="-1">

REF:

</font>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <font color="red">
    SOLD
    US$2750
    UK&pound;1730

</font>
    </td>
    <font size="-1">

</font>
    <a href="mailto:watchman@timefactors.com?subject=1675 IWC Mk XI RAF - 1951 @ $2750">
    <font size="-1">

</font>
    </a>
    </tr>
    </table>
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Here's one I sold a couple of years ago.
    In the 70?s I bought one of these for £25. It came out of a box of about 50 of these and 50 Omegas all the same price. I wish I bought the whole box...

I am glad I didn?t pick the Omega as the IWCs are now commanding higher prices. When I left my wife, my watches were in the bank and I wasn?t petty enough to get them out. Just took my bike, my stereo and my speedy, and run. The whole event cured my watch collecting illness. Thank god.

These days, I feel there is fine line between a collector and a guy buying a lot of watches - the same fine line as between a fisherman* and a fool standing at the edge of the water ... how times change.

JD

* No disrespect intended towards fishermen.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet