closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Would you buy a non-quickset date watch?

Would you buy a non-quickset date watch?

I just bought a watch that uses some form of JLC calibre 960 and discovered that there is no quickset date and it's really annoying.
    So just out of curiosity, would you guys buy a modern watch knowing that it doesn't have a quickset date feature? Would that be enough of a deal-breaker?

Yep. Seamaster GMT.

I'd be loathe to as I tend to change my watch frequently so am always resetting the date, and my OCD won't let me leave home with it set to the wrong day.

It's not a dealbreaker, but it a bit of a pain - so I'd rather have it.

The non-quickset date set by advancing the hours - like the SMP mentioned above, and the PAM 9000 movement - is actually quite useful for changing timezones but I guess you need to alter the date more times than the time unless you travel a lot.

It's a pain but I have a few. Are you sure yours isn't semi-quick?

I've got one, a Vostok, which I only really wear to the gym so it doesn't bother me too much.

Wouldn't get another without it.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    It's a pain but I have a few. Are you sure yours isn't semi-quick?
    What's a semi-quick-set date? Do you mean moving the hour hand independently? Mine can't do that unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiloStan View Post
    What's a semi-quick-set date? Do you mean moving the hour hand independently? Mine can't do that unfortunately.
    No, I mean when the date changes of you wind it from (say) 10 through to 2 and then changes again if you repeat it. Sometimes you don't know until you try it.

I probably wouldn't buy a modern watch, I.e. a new watch, without quickset date. But I do have a few vintage ones that are non-quickset (e.g., Rolex 1680 etc.). It's a pain when you have to set them. I usually keep those ones on a winder to make things easier.

Definitely. Jlc 975, omega 8500, iwc UTC version of the 2892

Yeah its a pain when changing 14 days but going back one day or changing timezones (most non quickset watches have the hour change in one hour increments) is way easier

I set the date on a Poljot 3133 this morning... 'semi-quick' as Tony describes. Move hands from just before 11pm to just past 12, then back and repeat as required. Minor PITA, but it wouldn't stop me buying similar. Pick-up-and-Go it ain't, though.

No, I mean when the date changes of you wind it from (say) 10 through to 2 and then changes again if you repeat it. Sometimes you don't know until you try it.
    Thanks for the tip, I'll try it next time. I never thought about doing that (thought it might harm the watch).

Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    I've got one, a Vostok, which I only really wear to the gym so it doesn't bother me too much.

Wouldn't get another without it.
    If it's a Kormandirskie or Amphibia with the hand wind 2414b or auto 2416b movement, then it can be semi -quick set.

Wind back past 8, forward past 12 and it should change date. The instruction sheet explains this if you've got one.

Hope this helps,

James

I've got a couple and they drive me mental, even the semi quick vostoks are a royal PITA so I tend to wear them with the date set wrong nowadays
    Last edited by geordie; 17th January 2013 at 21:36. Reason: Sodding autocorrect

Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrumpy View Post
    If it's a Kormandirskie or Amphibia with the hand wind 2414b or auto 2416b movement, then it can be semi -quick set.

Wind back past 8, forward past 12 and it should change date. The instruction sheet explains this if you've got one.

Hope this helps,

James
    Thanks, I was aware of this, but it is a bit fiddly with the wobbly crown!

I only need to wind mine back to 21:00

Yeah, I don't both if it's more than a few days.

Master

Cool

If to be my only watch ok,otherwise no.

Grand Master
    It isn`t an issue if the watch is worn daily as the owner's sole watch, but thesedays it's a bit poor IMO. I`ll gladly own vintage watches with no quickset date because that goes with the territory, but I wouldn`t be happy on a modern watch. However, if I liked the watch enough I`d accept it; might even be an argument in favour of buying that (normally) pointless accessory, the watch winder.

Having an extensive collection, I tend to wear watches for a week and then swap; the vintage ones with no quickset date get worn when the date's close enough to adjust!

Depending on the design, excessive winding of the hands will wear the cannon pinion; not a good idea on a vintage watch where a replacement can`t be sourced. They can be adjusted but it's never the same as a new one.

Paul

My Nomos is like that. You need to move the time between 9.30 and 12.30 and then back again and repeat. Doesn't really bother me too much.

Craftsman
    Not a deal breaker for me at all...its all a part of the joy of picking up a shelf queen and getting her ready for a night out.

Craftsman
    Yep.
    Omega Solar Impulse.
    Its not become so much of an issue... It's not my only watch so it does stop occasionally.
    i just dont bother setting the date ! Not such a big deal.

Darren

Whenever I pick up one of my watches and have to do that it makes me feel somehow smarter than average (though believe me, I'm not), and I think how many people in the real world would know to do that?

Not many, and fewer each day, I imagine...

Jim

Oh yeah! All my Ruskies don't have that. In fact, what stops me more often than not from buying a watch is exactly it having a date. It just kills a lot of watches for me.

Some time ago, I watch a watch repair guy set the time & date of a watch.

I can't remember the brand of the watch. It had no quick set date, so rather than winding the hands round & round, he advanced the hour hand to 1, which caused the date to change, then wound it back to 11, then forward to 1, then back to 11, then back to 1 for another change of date.

He repeated this (backwards & forwards from 11 to 1) until it arrived at the desired date.

I was quite shocked. I asked if it would damage the movement, 'no' was his answer.

I'm definitely not going to try this.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
    Some time ago, I watch a watch repair guy set the time & date of a watch.

I can't remember the brand of the watch. It had no quick set date, so rather than winding the hands round & round, he advanced the hour hand to 1, which caused the date to change, then wound it back to 11, then forward to 1, then back to 11, then back to 1 for another change of date.

He repeated this (backwards & forwards from 11 to 1) until it arrived at the desired date.

I was quite shocked. I asked if it would damage the movement, 'no' was his answer.

I'm definitely not going to try this.

That is actually the official way to set the date on a Russian movement like a 31xx or a Vostok:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0lQoJuPesA

The old ETA movement in my vintage Doxa has this too. Having had old Vostoks in the past, it didn't faze me at all when I discovered it didn't have a quickset date. Just tried the Vostok method and found it worked, no problem.

Craftsman

Cool Yes

I have a few in my collection. Setting them bothers me not in the least before I wear them.

It never bothers me because I never set the date

Master
    Not a deal breaker, but just going to be a pain setting the date. I remember having some watches with no quickest and doing the back and forth across midnight!

Re: Would you buy a non-quickset date watch?

Quote Originally Posted by geordie View Post
    I've got a couple and they drive me mental, even the semi quick vostoks are a royal PITA so I tend to wear them with the date set wrong nowadays
    Same here. Had a Poljot like that and I didn't like it.

My Breitling Navitimer A23322 - no quick set date at all to my knowledge.

Imagine my horror when I wound it on one day too far by mistake

It's fine when you haven't worn it for a few days, it doesn't take too long to set forward, wearing daily is certainly no issue, but making the mistake I did, it doesn't help my OCD...

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"
    A few things, the intermediate crown position "quick-set" it not the only design.

If you advance the hour hand through 02:00 and back to about 20:00, then back, and the date advances and stays advanced, you have a quick-set date mechanism. It's just a different (and earlier) version of the "quick-set" date.

A true non-quick-set date is one in which you have to rotate the hands through a full 24 hours to advance the date. This is a real pain if you need to advance from the 1st to the 31st. Sixty full rotations of the hour hand....

Apprentice
    Quickset date is very nice to have but not at all a deal breaker for me... There are other factors that are more important to consider while buying a watch. Great watches like PAM 312 and Rolex Explorer II does not have a quickset function. So yes I would definately buy a watch without quickset

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiloStan View Post
    So just out of curiosity, would you guys buy a modern watch knowing that it doesn't have a quickset date feature?
    Yes. It can be an annoyance but it's tolerable if I like the watch.

I have plenty of vintage without quickset (quite a few even without semi-quickset) and they are all tolerable.

Well I have a Vostok Europe with the semi-quick-set feature (it's in amongst this lot)...

... and although it really is a bit of a pain I've still got the watch.

Simon

Well my Daytona doesn't even have a date and my GMTII the date has to be adjusted using the independently moveable hour hand, which can be a pain sometimes if I don't wear it for a while, but at least I can move the date backwards as well as forwards easily enough...

Was talking about this with another forum member yesterday. I sold the lovely 1675 below because I hardly wore it. And I hardly wore it because of having to set the date each time I put it on was such a chore (and I need the date to be correct otherwise I'd just twitch uncontrollably).

I suppose i know for the future - must be quickset...

I have a few non-quickset dates in the vintage area, nothing modern though. The real pain was this one

Non-quickset day and date. A late sixties AS movement I think. That was a palava to get right.

I wrote this description as part of the sales listing for it that I never got to post, as someone in the states bought it off me on the basis of my online photos.

Date/day can be reset by shuttling between 9pm and 2 am. Day does not ratchet, it shuttles back and forth as you go from 9pm to 2am and back, so that you can set the date on a new month without disturbing the day.

In order to set it from rest, wind it forward the long way until the day is the one before the one you set to, then set the date to the date before by shuttling, then progress to the correct time and date by winding forward. Easy really.

But in all honesty it was a real PITA, and I had given up wearing it.

Yeah, I would buy another, but I am beginning to see the wisdom in separating the collection into two types. Worn regularly, quickset. Worn on special occasions or seldomly, no date. much simpler

D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    The Monsters in this pic remind me that what annoys me far more than non-quickset movements are movements in tool watches with no hacking.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    The Monsters in this pic remind me that what annoys me far more than non-quickset movements are movements in tool watches with no hacking.
    And what annoys a lot more than anything said is the lack of hand winding them and you just stand there shaking the watch to get it going. I never understood why Seiko still insists on that on so many of their watches, it's like getting a car that you have to crank to get the engine going...

Apprentice
    It can be a little annoying setting the date but I enjoy the interaction. If I'm lazy, I just don't bother with it.

- - - Updated - - -

It can be a little annoying setting the date but I enjoy the interaction. If I'm lazy, I just don't bother with it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kutusov View Post
    And what annoys a lot more than anything said is the lack of hand winding them and you just stand there shaking the watch to get it going. I never understood why Seiko still insists on that on so many of their watches
    Yup, it was a tad old fashioned of them. It's good they're now addressing this with the 4R36. It looks like this will largely replace the 7S26/7S36.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 20th January 2013 at 07:17.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Yup, it was a tad old fashioned of them. It's good they've now address this with the 4R36. It looks like this will largely replace the 7S26/7S36.
    Well, they also got the 4R15 that they fit (at least) on their Superior range and there's no hand wind. I don't know much about Seiko but I think the 4R15 is not exactly a new movement but an upgrade of the ones you've mentioned, mainly with a mainspring that has a huge power reserve.

I just have a couple of Seikos but I would wear them a lot more if I hadn't to wind them by shaking them.

Really can't agree with the comments here about movements, started here by me posting a photo of my three Monsters.

Whilst having a hacking movement is clearly a good thing, it doesn't bother me in the least at this price level... And I wind all my automatic watches by shaking them anyway!

Simon

... actually that's not quite true, since one of my MMs is hand-wind only...

Simon

I was in the process of buying a Nomos when the salesman mentioned that it didn't have a quickset date and that was the end of it for me. I would have been more than happy to not of had the date function at all, but if it's there I like it to be set correctly,

I have one and it does not bother me, it depends on your level of OCD and if you can cope with it showing the wrong date if its only an occasional wearer. Otherwise i would but a watch winder and leave it on there all the time.