closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OMEGA announces the first truly anti-magnetic watch movement

Craftsman

OMEGA announces the first truly anti-magnetic watch movement

Master
    would be interested to know the thickness of the case.

whats with the bumblebee second-hand? LOL

Very nice for everyday watch! In fact its growing on me, I already have the Milgauss and wonder how close this one is (thinking)

Any idea on size and prices?

Grand Master
    The Milgauss challenger! Im niot blown away by looks and Ive never had a magnetic problem with a watch in 30 years!
    RIAC

is there a link

- - - Updated - - -

ooops sorry must open my eyes

Craftsman
    quite like the bumblebee seconds hand. reading the guff on the website it looks like they have an anti-magnetic watch with a display back? cos they mention that in the past you couldn't see the movement.

Journeyman
    "Unlike other efforts to combat the effects of magnetism, the OMEGA movement does not rely on a protective container inside the watchcase but on the use of selected non-ferrous materials in the movement itself. Several patents are pending for the new movement."

So a display back is possible, as this omega is not a faraday cage (like milgauss or iwc ingenieur).
    Thought, they do not communicate on how those new metals behave under temperature variations.

Interesting patent anyway, it could make all their production more reliable...

I'm waiting to wince when I see the price of this...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    I'm waiting to wince when I see the price of this...
    What's the price ? Seems like I missed it....

Master
    Damn, apart from the speedy this might be the first omega I actually like.

Grand Master
    I like that - I like the lightning second hand on the Milgauss, and I quite like the health-and-safety second hand of this one.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    I like that - I like the lightning second hand on the Milgauss, and I quite like the health-and-safety second hand of this one.
    I was thinking more

It's a Railmaster with a miniature coral snake as a seconds hand.....nice

Grand Master
    The bumblebee second hand is a bold move, I need to spend some time digesting the new look! Nice to be different if you get it right
    RIAC

Initial reaction is that I like it ... would be good to see one in the flesh ..... like a previous poster, I do wonder about the pricing - hope it's sensible ....

at 15 "milgauss" it sounds like a very revolutionary watch movement.
    very high tech, nice and bubi approved!

by the way, for those who wonder, the resistance to magnetism of the speedbird 3 is sort of equivalent to a 1000 gauss. one "milgauss".

I say sort of because amps/metre is a measure of magnetic field strength, while gauss.... I haven't really made it out.

Looks like Omega doesn't know history. In 1989 IWC introduced a anti-magnetic movement, the cal. 35790.

http://www.moeb.ch/Ingenieur/10e_500000Am.html#

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    It's a Railmaster with a miniature coral snake as a seconds hand.....nice
    Well, all that dial bling and the teakwood decking that's supposed to be reminiscient of a yacht is rather more fine-dining than a Railmaster ;). Although a Railmaster was called that because of its appeal to scientists and engineers working on high-tension voltage lines and anywhere that featured strong magnetic fields. The association with railways was backformed because of the name. That would make a good name for this new watch.

It's a shame Omega "forgot" about the IWC. It may have been a failure because it wasn't very good at telling the time with the expected accuracy, but they made them, sold them, and people wore them...

I already prefer it to the Milgauss because it's got the date on it!

Well, all that dial bling and the teakwood decking that's supposed to be reminiscient of a yacht is rather more fine-dining than a Railmaster ;).
    In hindsight I think Aqua Terra would've been more accurate.....Magna Terra.

Really like it, the seconds hand is great. Very striking but gives the face a real buzz. Interesting movement, will look forward to seeing one in the flesh.

Journeyman
    Intresting news. I like that black dial. The second hand is IMO cool.

Looks OK. But would rather pick up a milgauss pre owned.

Anyone know the rrp?

I love it. The understated looks of the Aqua Terra made more interesting by the bumblebee hand and dial text. Anyone knows whether this is the 39 mm case?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    I already prefer it to the Milgauss because it's got the date on it!
    +1000 !!!
    I do still not understand how people can accept that on a milgauss...

Master
    Apparently it's a rule that anti-magnetic watches have to have weird second hands to repel those pesky gausses. Well, apart from the Ingy. And the Oysterquartz come to think of it...

I'm not sure about the second hand - I think it cheapens the whole watch!

Personally, I like it - apart from the PCLs and compared to an AT, the lack of framed date window. The second hand is bold but I prefer it to the zigzag bolt of its direct competitor. As others have said, the price is sure to be scary.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

The second hand is a total disaster in my eyes.

Craftsman
    I really like this new watch.........I always liked the Milgauss but the lightening bolt second hand always put me off. This one is a little more subtle, but remains different at the same time.

Big thumbs up from me!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Apparently it's a rule that anti-magnetic watches have to have weird second hands to repel those pesky gausses. Well, apart from the Ingy. And the Oysterquartz come to think of it...
    Most Imgenieurs aren't anti-magnetic any more. It's just a marketing brand now, not a function or capability as such. People seem very happy with that, as a rule.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I prefer:

Far more accurate and less susceptible to magnetism to start with and additional insulation in a cage of Faraday.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It's just a marketing brand now, not a function or capability as such. People seem very happy with that, as a rule.
    Yes, that seems to be general wis-dom :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Vahalis View Post
    Looks like Omega doesn't know history. In 1989 IWC introduced a anti-magnetic movement, the cal. 35790.

http://www.moeb.ch/Ingenieur/10e_500000Am.html#
    Indeed, typical Omega marketing blah blah and neglect for the true history.

So far only one of my watches has been magnetized, that was a +/- 40 yrs old vintage.
    This new "feature" is a gimmick for 99% of the people.
    No doubt it will be a very, very, expensive gimmick!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post

So far only one of my watches has been magnetized, that was a +/- 40 yrs old vintage.
    This new "feature" is a gimmick for 99% of the people.
    No doubt it will be a very, very, expensive gimmick!
    Isn't this "false" sense of security not worth loads of money????

I do like the AT BTW, and this is just nicely different.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

This announcement sounds like a washing powder advertising...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Why single out Omega??
    They are not even the worst example. The brands owned by the two largest luxury fashion investor groups are.

Futhermore it is the life´s blood of wis-dom!
    How else could there be such a fashion in ludicrously overpriced automated ´Swiss´ mass produced mechanicals?!

I have had a wónderfull time expaining car buffs that their revered modern high end cars have injectors that work on the same priciple as the despised quartz watch :-)
    Boy was/is that fun.
    I came on it because I used the GP35x as an example to explain the working of the ´chip box´ they were having problems with on their common rail diesels.
    It brought home to me again that marketing bs is beyond urban legend; the largest part of ´reality´.

The watch marketing bs is the brilliant brain child of Biver and Hayek and the life´s blood of wis-dom!
    Without the warping of facts, - the rewriting of history and parameters, there would be no watch fora nor watch magazines as we know them. Nor would high end watch brands be exploited by luxury fashion goods investor groups.

Don´t be so harsh on Omega Bernard. At least théy are a true watch company and not fashion house badge engineering reïnvented.

If you want to skip the bs, buy a Casio DW5600.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Why single out Omega??
    They are not even the worst example. The brands owned by the two largest luxury fashion investor groups are.

Futhermore it is the life´s blood of wis-dom!
    How else could there be such a fashion in ludicrously overpriced automated ´Swiss´ mass produced mechanicals?!

I have had a wónderfull time expaining car buffs that their revered modern high end cars have injectors that work on the same priciple as the despised quartz watch :-)
    Boy was/is that fun.
    I came on it because I used the GP35x as an example to explain the working of the ´chip box´ they were having problems with on their common rail diesels.
    It brought home to me again that marketing bs is beyond urban legend; the largest part of ´reality´.

The watch marketing bs is the brilliant brain child of Biver and Hayek and the life´s blood of wis-dom!
    Without the warping of facts, - the rewriting of history and parameters, there would be no watch fora nor watch magazines as we know them. Nor would high end watch brands be exploited by luxury fashion goods investor groups.

Don´t be so harsh on Omega Bernard. At least théy are a true watch company and not fashion house badge engineering reïnvented.

If you want to skip the bs, buy a Casio DW5600.
    Good to see you're back Petrus.

I am not saying others are better, I just try to identify this crap and name it.
    Omega has drifted away from its roots: they made good watches for a decent price.
    Now they make "innovative" watches with BS "improvements" and try to price them as if they were Rolexes...

I like that second hand.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Now they make "innovative" watches with BS "improvements" and try to price them as if they were Rolexes...
    Interesting.
    You appear realistic but have both legs knee deep in the swiss bs.

The high end of Omega ís every bit as good as Rolex ánd more accurate ánd with longer warranty and less maintenance.
    Without the bs they should thus fetch a hígher price Bernard!

Thanks for that. It illustrates the bs wis-dom is contently grunting about in to perfection.

Radu&Bogdan F
    Interesting.

The high end of Omega ís every bit as good as Rolex ánd more accurate ánd with longer warranty and less maintenance.

Thanks for that. It illustrates the bs wis-dom is contently grunting about in to perfection.
    hmmmm....
    very interesting

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Radu&Bogdan F View Post
    hmmmm....
    very interesting
    The higher end of Omega has well and truely overtaken Rolex in évery aspect save for the image & urban legends so cherished and rekindled by wis-dom.
    Though again, like Omega, Rolex is at least a real wátch company, the hight at which the brand image has risen is a good example of how happy Veblen good buyers in general and wis in particular are with the bs factor.
    The bs is the life´s blood of wis-dom.

I took up the ´archive extract´ con with Jeager LeCoultre. Have tried to escalate the issue. My complaint wás forward and.... got stuck in Richemont high brow blabla claiming the high expertise effort needed and the quality of the paper the exclusive bs is printed on. All to elevate a trainee one morning sifting through sequential records with three month´s worth of request.

C'mon Omega, the name is wrong. Put Railmaster on the dial please.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post
    at 15 "milgauss" it sounds like a very revolutionary watch movement.
    very high tech, nice and bubi approved!

by the way, for those who wonder, the resistance to magnetism of the speedbird 3 is sort of equivalent to a 1000 gauss. one "milgauss".

I say sort of because amps/metre is a measure of magnetic field strength, while gauss.... I haven't really made it out.
    I think it is fair to say the Rolex Milgauss actually exceeds 1000 gauss by some margin.

Master
    How much of a REAL problem is magneticism in a modern watch??

Interesting.

The price of a Rolex is more based up the amount people are willing to pay, I would expect.
    I am not a Rolex fanboy by the way, it is a brand I have never owned because 95% of their watches aren't to my taste and the vintage Subs are too expensive to my opinion.

You say Rolex should be less accurate. I have been told that if similarly regulated timekeeping is about the same.
    Further, the Omega should need less maintenance. That is plainly wrong.

The Omega has a co-exial escapement that needs less service, however all the other parts - mainspring, anchor pivots, balance pivots, automatic winding systeem - they all need just as much service. All in all, the need to take your Omega in for service after approx. 5 years is the same as with a Rolex. I just don't buy the Omega BS that because of a different escapement the rest of the movement can be neglected. It only allows parts to wear out more.

However, at Omega prices it is no problem to replace a bunch of parts at service...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The price of a Rolex is more based up the amount people are willing to pay, I would expect.
    Exactly; the success of the bs factor.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    however all the other parts - mainspring, anchor pivots, balance pivots, automatic winding systeem - they all need just as much service.
    Which is what the engineers sought to reduce/eliminate with the electrification; by creating an unloaded drive train. Not much later they could also eliminate the balance spring with a more accurate one. First the metal tuning fork, then the quartz cristal tuning fork vibraring at 32k Hertz.
    Same mechanical gear train, just unloaded and with an oscilator véry reistant to am.
    Enter B&H inventing the bs factor so we are educated to appreciate the luxury of the surpassed technology.
    Behold wis discussing whether a Rolex or Omega costing 5 or so K Euro is better while a 35 Euro Casio is worn when the going gets tough....
    The bs goes where the blood can´t :-)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    How much of a REAL problem is magneticism in a modern watch??

No, only in the mechanicals.

No, only in the mechanicals.
    Welcome back.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations