closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Watches that disappoint?

Master

Watches that disappoint?

Have you any had a watch that you are truly disappointed with? We often hunt and buy watches after some deliberation but it does not always work out. It may just be a lemon!

For me it is my IWC and it is awaiting a third attempt to be fixed!

Watches that disappoint?

I've had 2 Omega Speedmasters - just did nothing for me - both the 'vanilla' Hesalite crystal versions. I like the design, but found them very 'meh' - returned the second one within a week to Omega saying it wasn't for me and I got a full refund, so customer service was great!

Rolex Daytona - waited 10 years to get one and it lasted 3 months.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Rolex Daytona - waited 10 years to get one and it lasted 3 months.
    Always fancy one but never manages. Lost its appeal after all those years!

Craftsman
    Rolex Sub.

I lusted after one for years, when it finally arrived I was underwhelmed. I wore it for two weeks trying to bond with it but it didn't happen. I put it back in the box and ordered a Seiko Sumo.
    I ended up giving the Sub to my a Brother for his 40th. I'm still wearing the Sumo though.

Re: Watches that disappoint?

Breitling Emergency Mission

As with many posters on this thread with their disappointments, I wanted one for years and managed to pick up a mint example last year. While it had looked great in windows and pictures, in reality it was a pain to wear and hugely impractical.

Anything small. I've had lots of watches Iv hunted for or lusted after in pics but on putting them on was disappointed because the felt small.

Nothing under 40mm

Every time I handle a Rolex GMT, sorry but I just don't have a "click" with it. The Sub no date on the other hand is a watch I like a lot (albeit the "old" version with regular lugs and bezel inlay that is user replaceable...

Further: Panerai and Bremont. I've got a cousin in the UK who has several Panerais, not my cup of tea.
    I've seen and handled a few Bremonts at the dealer in the Hague. Just no click...

I'm not trying to rant here, just my personal taste. Feel free to love the watches I mentioned.

Also a Speedy. Spent 3 months researching and locatig a perfect 3572 and once it arrived I too thought "Meh". Still love the look of them but found it deeply underwhelming...

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    Also a Speedy. Spent 3 months researching and locatig a perfect 3572 and once it arrived I too thought "Meh". Still love the look of them but found it deeply underwhelming...

Hi,

I experienced the same with the sapphire Speedy and the Professionals: the Pro's were just too big for my wrist.
    I now do have the 105.003, with an appliqué Omega symbol, no "Professional" and that one is 39,7 mm.
    Really fell for it, so if you like the design, but have trouble bonding with the Pro, the earlier model might be something for you.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Dunhill city diver

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?um=1&...,r:9,s:0,i:109

I love the Dunhill facet style and this looked my perfect watch. I still have the watch and I still think it is fantastic. However, the problem is that it just doesn't work on the wrist. Whatever you do it is just too tall and looks and feels dreadful. Off the wrist it looks fantastic and I can't bring myself to sell it for that reason - one day, I hope, I'll find the answer...

Almost any Speedmaster - I have tried a lot of them, probably well over 10 different models, some more than once - ended up selling all at cost, or a slight slight loss - I might have kept the 50th Patch model if I had thought ahead - but certainly don't miss them that much.

Breitling Emergency - convinced myself that it would be a keeper - but for very close to 50% off new and sold for the same within a couple of weeks.

Sinn U1 - just didn't feel its cost after the price increases - but used it is still a good value watch - bought new, I'd rather the money elsewhere.
    It's just a matter of time...

Got a fake Daytona to try it out before purchasing as I do whenever possible. Decided I didn't like it within 3 days, justifing the purchase of a fake. Now looking to buy and Explorer.

I had read about these when first released and had been impressed by the specs.
    Early owner reviews did nothing to dampen my interest.
    Then seeing one in the wild I was smitten - a little.
    It wasn't a top 5 contender or anything so grand as that but then one appeared and I snapped it up.
    Great watch but ownership bordered on boredom.
    I don't know why it just didn't appeal to me the way I thought it would.
    If I'd handled one before jumping I most certainly would not have bought it.
    I know I am prejudiced towards modular Chronos and that may well have had something to do with it - but then I knew that before...
    Crazy.

Gray

Tag Heuer Carrera GMT. It was rather small compared to everything else I'd been wearing at the time (37mm) and had a plexi crystal, which seemed a cheap choice for a watch retailing at $1700. The odd thing was, I bought this in an AD, so I had no excuse. It's not like I was looking at a picture online and then was disappointed when it arrived in the mail. I guess I'll chalk it up to AD fever - sometimes you are just tempted to do stupid stuff when you're sitting at a jewelry counter.

I have since been enticed by pictures of the Carrera chronograph, but I suspect it is somewhat small too, and I notice that whenever I see one for sale it usually is listed without mention of the dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by TakesALickin View Post
    Tag Heuer Carrera GMT. It was rather small compared to everything else I'd been wearing at the time (37mm)
    34mm according to the Watchfinder website. That is a bit small.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mav66 View Post
    Rolex Sub.

I lusted after one for years, when it finally arrived I was underwhelmed. I wore it for two weeks trying to bond with it but it didn't happen. I put it back in the box and ordered a Seiko Sumo.
    I ended up giving the Sub to my a Brother for his 40th. I'm still wearing the Sumo though.
    Had the same experience and found the braclet poor,too small on the wrist and did not enjoy the cyclops.Lasted a few months and never miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    34mm according to the Watchfinder website. That is a bit small.
    My memory was giving it the benefit of the doubt! You see what I mean, then.

Craftsman
    Rolex Sub.

I can see where your coming from with regard's the Sub i felt the same as you ,a Rolex sub was the ultimate watch to buy . I alway's enjoy wearing my Sumo and truly believe for the money it's fantastic value even after paying import tax .

Steinhart Red very disappointed it was gone in 24 hours.

Last edited by wildheart; 14th January 2013 at 21:03.

My Speedy Pro & Submariner, two forum favourites, found the speedy crown awkward and i'm not a big fan of manuals (if it had been an auto i would still have it) although the bracelet was amongst the best i have seen & the quality of the watch is undeniable but i didn't appreciate it for what it was and got distracted with my lust for a submariner. The sub was just incredibly underwhelming for the iconic watch it is, especially the bracelet, tried my best but just couldn't bond with it.

Rolex Sub.

...me too. Sold it to a chap on the forum about a fortnight after buying it new. Luckily I didn't lose much on the deal and bought an Omega 2254.50 instead. Still like the look of them when I see them in pics but just didn't do it when on my wrist.

I had a tag 200 with a grey face and it just never really spoke to me - much better with a black face but I just never clicked with the tag.

Craftsman
    Id be the same, wanted a sub for ages but when I tried in on in store just did nothing for me. Felt the 40 mm was too small & the clasp was so thin and just weak. Compared to a Planet Ocean clasp which feels like great quality. Another was a TAG RS2 Which retailed for 6,000 euro and felt looked like a 2k watch. They really know how to take good promotional pics!

Find this thread really useful! I wonder if you might say what you went to (and liked!) After moving on the one you didn't like. Found it interesting above about not getting on with a Rolex sub but loving a sumo!

My brother has had a 16710 since about 2002 it seemed really chunky and heavy when he got it until I got myself. 16600 in 2011. It seems utterly puny now and no longer a 'sports' watch in my book

Rolex Daytona for me to. Promised myself one before I was 30, got a black faced one and had it for 3 weeks. Traded it for cash and a 16610 LV.

I haven't thought about it for a while but I didn't hang on to a (what is now old style) Sub for long either.
    A few GMTs of varying ages also skipped along (athough I lust after the newer ones).
    Old style Explorer also flipped in and out quickly.
    My mate's Daytona, which I had for a while selling on his behalf, didn't see much daylight.
    The SD, however, stuck like (notverysticky) glue for a good couple of years.
    Gray

Master
    A couple of Breitlings, and a Fifty Fathoms (didn't own it but tried it on and felt a little disappointed after lusting over them).

Master
    AP ROO Volcano

Master
    I spent many years listing after an Omega Flightmaster (the one with the coloured sub dial) before seeing one in the vintage omega boutique at the top end if Burlington Archade. I tried it on and was hugely disappointed, I had never even send one in the wild so this really was the first time I'd seen it in the metal and held it.
    Can't really put a finger on why though, just really disappointing and the whole package just seemed wrong.
    The weird thing is, I still look at pictures and think how beautiful it looks. Just one of those that didn't measure up, for me that is!

Interested to see the Speedy come up a few times.

I like manual watches over autos, so that's not an issue for me, but I can sympathise with the poster who found the crown awkward,for a manual watch it is very fiddly.

On the other hand its a really practical size and I love wearing mine.

Only watch I have that's a disappointment is a yellow faced sekonda chrono I bought, its just too big for my taste.

But heh it was 40 quid.:)

M

Banned
    The watch I've been most disappointed with was my Breitling SO Abyss, it looked good in the photos, but below average at close quarters.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    Steinhart Red very disappointed it was gone in 24 hours.
    I think the trouble with most homages is that you quickly feel that you are short changing yourself by not having the real thing

Master

Watches that disappoint?

I am glad to hear that I'm not the only one underwhelmed by a Sub, I tried on a 114060 before Christmas and found that it wore a lot smaller on the wrist than I had expected, felt very, very light and there was something about the bracelet that made it look quite effeminate...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by drhexagon View Post
    Breitling Emergency Mission

As with many posters on this thread with their disappointments, I wanted one for years and managed to pick up a mint example last year. While it had looked great in windows and pictures, in reality it was a pain to wear and hugely impractical.
    Could you please elaborate? Was it too heavy/big? It's a watch on my list to get this year

Ocean 7 LM-7. I got in on the original preorder, and after all of the wait, I was left with a crude and unrefined lump of steel. Never again.

Master
    A SS Daytona. Lusted for one for years. Finally got one, and realised it must be the most attention seeking and scratch magnet man can wear. You breathed on it and the polished links and bezel would mark. At home and under the camera lens it is great, but on the wrist it is too bling for it's own good. Was happy to be rid of it.

Banned

Angry

Pam 024 ,this is the first time i have spoke about buying it ...never again.

Bought a speedy pro, 2 weeks and it was gone again -> too big.
    And a JLC Dual time, really nice watch, but somehow it didn’t feel right… a bit boring.

And I have a really nice IWC Jubilee 5441, and that one has to go as well. I want my watches to be a bit smaller now a days, max 40mm.

Quote Originally Posted by okzbow View Post
    Bought a speedy pro, 2 weeks and it was gone again -> too big.
    And a JLC Dual time, really nice watch, but somehow it didn’t feel right… a bit boring.

And I have a really nice IWC Jubilee 5441, and that one has to go as well. I want my watches to be a bit smaller now a days, max 40mm.
    Hoi Okzbow, lang niet gesproken! Alles goed?

I'll continue in English: size indeed matters, I prefer my watches ranging from 36-40 mm.
    The current range of IWC's is just too big to be wearable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    Hoi Okzbow, lang niet gesproken! Alles goed?

I'll continue in English: size indeed matters, I prefer my watches ranging from 36-40 mm.
    The current range of IWC's is just too big to be wearable.
    Its indeed quite some time ago! I am fine, thnx. How about you?
    I love your new Speedmaster, thinking of buying one myself. And I agree that 36/40 is the best size for small wrists.

Well the IWC is from '93, so not really current range :-)

I have tried on vintage Subs and Explorers with very large ticket prices. I was astounded just how light the bracelets felt and how small the watches were. I still can't figure out whether they felt delightfully light and comfortable or insubstantial and over priced. I would suspect that because of this ongoing cognitive dissonance I'm not really cut out to be a connoisseur of vintage Rolexes. But having said that I really like the idea of an Explorer with gilt hands and dial just don't know whether I'd ever get past the reality...

The other disappointment was getting a Panda dialled Tissot Navigator (which I really like) but realising that I can't see the black hands against the black sub-dials. Every now and then I put it back on and really try to like it, but every time I can't read the time without trying it goes back in the sock drawer.

Master
    What is it about size, makes us sound like women comparing it!

It is of course important but can we truly ignore a watch because of size? I thought it is the design, function and quality that count.

I may be wrong, as I have posted several threads on size and could be accused of lacking the Y chromosome!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'll add to the Daytona disappointment list. I kept it for a few months trying to like it but really didn't get on with it.

DSSD too, i had it all of five days iirc. It's been said many times, the bracelet is all wrong for the head and the dial is very crowded. I'm glad both went and i have no regrets whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by okzbow View Post
    Its indeed quite some time ago! I am fine, thnx. How about you?
    I love your new Speedmaster, thinking of buying one myself. And I agree that 36/40 is the best size for small wrists.

Well the IWC is from '93, so not really current range :-)
    All well over here, thanks!

The Speedmaster "Ed White" is great, but not in size (39,7 mm).
    I believe you don't live far from Utrecht? We could meet when my Speedmaster is back, so you can try it on.

You're right, you have one of the early "oversized" IWC's. Last year I had an IWC meeting at an AD and I was shocked by the size of every watch they had.
    I wore my calibre 89, 37 mm in pink gold. It was dwarfed by their current range.

Quote Originally Posted by tim2012 View Post
    What is it about size, makes us sound like women comparing it!

It is of course important but can we truly ignore a watch because of size? I thought it is the design, function and quality that count.

I may be wrong, as I have posted several threads on size and could be accused of lacking the Y chromosome!

Even the best designed watch, with flawless functioning and superb quality has to be wearable.
    Otherwise it becomes a gimmick, a safe queen and basically something that you don't want to own.

Disappointed by Speedy and GMT2C. Most of my reasons ahave been stated by others but in short - loved the pics but watch just didn't do it for me. I wouldn't buy another Speedy but I may try a GMT2C again as tastes eveolve over time.

I have had a few by Panerai, my least favourite being the 177.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    I think the trouble with most homages is that you quickly feel that you are short changing yourself by not having the real thing
    Totally agree. Though I had a Grovana and a Revenue Thommen that where much better quality than Steinhart. I find all Rolex divers too small other than the Deep Sea. I do have an 8 inch wrist though.
    Last edited by wildheart; 15th January 2013 at 12:11.

I tried on a friend's Speedmaster Pro and was entirely underwhelmed.

Apprentice
    For me I tried on a variety of POs when looking for my latest and was really disappointed....even the titanium one, which felt too light to my taste. Compared to what I ended up with (date Sub) they felt considerably less 'expensive'. Having said that i've no doubt i'll end up with one at some point and will probably love it!