closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Small engined big fun (cars)

Small engined big fun (cars)

Hi guys, I'm going to be looking for a new motor in the next few months. I like small hatchbacks and currently drive a Fiesta Zetec S. I've loved it as its a fantastic, fun little thing to drive. But it's tired and needs to be replaced.

I was just going to replace it with a new model fiesta S but there seems to be some interesting stuff out there. Fiat 500 Arbarth, VW golf 1.4 TSI GT, Renault Twingo sport, Suzuki Swift sport...

Anybody else got a love of warm hatches?? What would you recommend?

Looking to spend up to £11000

I like this, but I've been told "No"...

http://www.ardneil.co.uk/stock.html?car=102130689
    ______

​Jim.

S3...Well i would say that wouldnt I ?

New Fiesta S 1litre turbo 125bhp before you chip it - around your budget new from on-line suppliers after a good discount.

I'm waiting to see what the VW UP GT is like.

I had a lovely Peugeot 1.3 Rallye 106 years ago - it was a lot of fun after my golf gti.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Clio 182 all the way.

It seriously has one of the best front wheel drive chassis out there, and are so far under your budget you could buy a couple of Rolexes!

If you want newer then I've heard great reviews for the Renault Twingo sport and Suzuki Swift sport. And the new Clio Sport on an '11' plate is under £10,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    New Fiesta S 1litre turbo 125bhp before you chip it - around your budget new from on-line suppliers after a good discount.

I'm waiting to see what the VW UP GT is like.

I had a lovely Peugeot 1.3 Rallye 106 years ago - it was a lot of fun after my golf gti.
    VW UP GT I ve been looking at that too, may be worth the wait. Damn shame I'm inpatient

Master
    Fiat abarth as per the one on this website

http://autoperform.com/

200bhp in a roller skate!!

My mother has a 00 and I have to say I am well impressed, not as impressed as I was when I drove a 00 abarth with 10bhp, my god what a fun car. IMHO they are a much sounder investment financially than some of the others listed and also great fun, not often both things can be said in the same sentence.

Paul

Master
    Had a new Suzuki for a day as a loaner. I was stunned how good the combination of ride and handling was combined with very decent steering. Nearest thing I have found to our 968 in a modern car which is odd as one wouldn't tend to expect that from a 1.6 litre warm hatch. Highly adjustable driving position which I found very comfortable and relaxing once set up. On the flip side though it was more outrageously competent than fun, I honestly reckon one could drive the thing cross country flat out if one wasn't concerned about breaking the law or the obvious dangers. Its very rare for a car to be like that and I guess it just highlights the fact they are hugely underpowered compared to the abilities of the cars chassis.

Biggest downside in the Suzuki was the thinnest plastics I have seen in a car, easy to see how they kept the price and weight down. Very nicely built though.

I am on the lookout for one though as a daily driver and occasional track slag.

How about a mini with a bike engine...?

Master
    Mk 2 Quattro TT... and remap it for £400?

I thought we were talking small engines.
    It's just a matter of time...

Cooper S. I have a JCW. It's a blast :)

Grand Master
    My missis has a Fiesta 1.6 Titanium that's coming up to 4yrs old with less than 30K miles. I`m not impressed; there's a chorus of annoying squeaks and vibrations from around the dash area which I couldn`t live with. A combination of rough roads, hard suspension and low profile tyres....it's not pleasant.

Although small cars have come on a lot in recent years, they still lack the solid feel of quality that the larger (Golf, Focus etc) sized cars have. That's why I`d never buy one, I`ve long since grown out of the boy racer thing too so a souped up Fiesta (or similar) leaves me cold.

I tried to talk my better half out of buying the Fiesta but she wouldn`t listen.....

Paul

Vote from me on a JCW too...mine never fails to put a smile on my face

Quote Originally Posted by luckyhands View Post

M100 Lotus Elan se. 1.6 turbo. They might be a few years old now but trust me not much can outpace them on A roads!

Master
    Just bought an early EP3 civic type R.. its a revelation - I've been off front wheel drive for years!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyhands View Post
    I've got a JCW too and it is great fun!! Recommend a Cooper S for your budget - not sure you'd get a JCW for that price yet.... Cooper S is stil good fun!

Journeyman
    Clio is a good shout or as above the 500 (one of my mates who is very handy behind the wheel will often leave his pork turbo at home and come out to play in his wife's 500). if your okay with 2 seats what about an mx5 or a smart bra bus roadster.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=ywmtr...%3DywmtrrFf4xo

liking this. Jay Lenos garage is like some kind of paradise

Mini, no doubt in my mind. The most entertaining car I've owned, but actually decent to live with and a remarkably comfortable long-distance car.

Wink

Engine couldn't be smaller. Fun couldn't be bigger. :)

Being 6.4, I drive a big car (with a big motor (4.5ltr)), so not really an authority on smaller motors, as I'm not in the market for one. But how about the Smart Roadster?
    Never driven one, so no idea how it handles or what the quality is. Looks like fun though.

Was checking out a VW Lupo GTI today. Plenty of room solidly made, but didn't drive it. Only down side is that it's an old model. Hmmmm choices choices.

Master
    Lotus Elise

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
    Was checking out a VW Lupo GTI today. Plenty of room solidly made, but didn't drive it. Only down side is that it's an old model. Hmmmm choices choices.
    Chassis isn't that good plus if you left foot brake and adjust the throttle it kills the power for a couple of seconds. I'd go down the Clio route for that sort of money, or something like a Mountune Focus ST:

http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/c...t-3-3dr/974776
    "A man of little significance"

Having had both a Mini JCW and now an Elise, they are very different but both a hoot to boot. Definitely worth a test drive in both.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    I like this, but I've been told "No"...

http://www.ardneil.co.uk/stock.html?car=102130689
    Looks like ex-cooncil roads department ;)

jim

Smart Brabus gets my vote ;).

Another thumbs-up for the Cooper S JCW. Plenty of power, crisp and fun handling, good size for easy parking but big enough to fit others in the back in (okay) comfort. And I imagine Mini is generally good on depreciation.

I had a few days in Paris around New Year and was struck by how common the Smart car is there. It does make a lot of sense for parking/car tax/emissions etc. What does the Brabus version handle like?

Craftsman
    The Cooper works with a few tweaks is a bloody amazing little car that can terrify 100k super cars and ring rats alike around the Nordschleife.
    It would be my choice over the Focus RS not least because I used to know and work with the development Engineers on that car in a past life....if you can't say some something nice, say nothing and all that !

Master
    I suspect this isn;t what your looking for buy boy was I having fun, from my 2.0L!