closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When do you take your wedding ring off?

When do you take your wedding ring off?

As a newly-married-never-wore-a-ring-previously person I noticed someone talking about the wedding ring coming off with the watch as soon as he's through the door. Didn't want to spoil that thread but does everyone take theirs off or leave them on. I'm not sure if it's because I'm a novice but there have been a couple of "ring to sensitive parts" issues in the shower.

Is this a rookie mistake or will I learn to look after my ring better? (Keep it clean chaps, there's been a banning or two over the use of certain words in the G&D)

Craftsman
    Usually off when at home:)

Master
    No matter how many times I read and re-read this......the mind still boggles!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    there have been a couple of "ring to sensitive parts" issues in the shower.
    But to answer the question, I take mine off when I go mountain biking because I dont like the way it feels when gripping the handlebars, otherwise occasionally when Im doing manual stuff (bike repairs, cleaning the car) where I think it might get damaged or cause damage to something else (non-anatomical!). Otherwise it stays on.

Washing or doing something manual like gym/mechanics etc - otherwise on all the time

I never take mine off, EVER.

My wife on the other hand takes hers off as soon as she is in the door!

EDIT - Hers does have diamonds in it though, so that's probably why!

Mark
    Last edited by Sharky; 10th January 2013 at 13:03.

Master
    I took mine off the day I got married 20 years ago, and have not worn it since !

Pete

Wife took her wedding ring off to do the washing up. Then one day it wasn't there and has never been found again.

At least, that's what she told me.

I take mine off before bedtime and when I'm doing anything with water such as washing up or washing my hands. I also take it off when I change my son's nappy and when I'm gardening or doing any form of DIY.

Take it off when I'm swimming (when I tie it to my trunks) and when I go to bed (when it sits on the beside cabinet). AFAIK, my wife does the same (although leaves her's in the swimming locker). We were obviously meant to be together.

Master
    My mate got a horrific burn when playing with his car battery, he somehow managed to get it to arc onto his weddind ring and the flesh just melted over it, trip to hospital ensued where the ring was eventually cut off but his finger was a hell of a mess, needless to say he hasnt worn a ring since and it was partly responsible for making my mind up to get a divorce, so no ring for me neither!

- - - Updated - - -

My mate got a horrific burn when playing with his car battery, he somehow managed to get it to arc onto his weddind ring and the flesh just melted over it, trip to hospital ensued where the ring was eventually cut off but his finger was a hell of a mess, needless to say he hasnt worn a ring since and it was partly responsible for making my mind up to get a divorce, so no ring for me neither!

Craftsman
    Married over 17 years and it hasn't left my finger in all that time.

I even had an MRI of my back done with it on (I clarified that I could do so beforehand). Strange experience as it seemed to very gently "hum" on my finger at certain points during the scan.

Have to say that what you are doing with your ring in the shower intrigues me, but perhaps not in a healthy way. Just for clarification, this ring we are talking about is on your finger and not other parts of your anatomy?

Both my wife and I take ours off at home, and I take mine off whenever I am working on cars, etc.

My father in law never wore his after he witnessed, as a young soldier, one of his friends have his finger ripped off by having the ring caught on an armoured vehicle track.

My father wore a ring until 1945, when jumping off the back of a truck in true action man style, the ring caught on the tailgate. Dad hit the deck, his finger was still on board. I still have what's left of the ring. The field hospital trimmed what was left of his finger down to the first knuckle. Over the years, his other fingers sort of 'migrated' to fill in the gap.

OK, just to clarify the ring to sensitive parts bit...

When you're washing, you know, down there (I assume we all do this) and you have those hanging things? Well when you rub a non-ringed hand over them, it glides (especially with the amount of shower gel I use. And I have shaved plums .). Well with a ring on your finger its easier to catch the skin on the edge of the ring I find. I have skinny fingers but larger knuckles so in order to get a ring that fitted over my knuckles I have a gap between the ring and my finger that is perhaps bigger than it could be, hence easy to catch an edge (to use snowboarding parlance...)

So, no errant fingers, misplaced digits or otherwise, just wrinkly skin catching sharpish edges and giving me an unintended depilation...

Journeyman
    Only time it ever comes off is when I go kitesurfing. Bits shrinking in cold water and throwing myself round like a lunatic is pretty much a perfect combination for losing it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrw_y2k View Post
    Bits shrinking in cold water is pretty much a perfect combination for losing it.
    Am I wearing mine on the wrong digit?...

I've known a few colleagues to remove it when on the pull.

Master
    Work colleague just asked me why I was laughing so much!!

When you're washing, you know, down there (I assume we all do this) and you have those hanging things? Well when you rub a non-ringed hand over them, it glides (especially with the amount of shower gel I use. And I have shaved plums .). Well with a ring on your finger its easier to catch the skin on the edge of the ring I find. I have skinny fingers but larger knuckles so in order to get a ring that fitted over my knuckles I have a gap between the ring and my finger that is perhaps bigger than it could be, hence easy to catch an edge (to use snowboarding parlance...)

So, no errant fingers, misplaced digits or otherwise, just wrinkly skin catching sharpish edges and giving me an unintended depilation...

Craftsman

TMI+++++

Have you considered using a power hose to sort them out?

Master
    Mine only comes off when I'm out on the pull ;)

Craftsman
    I lost a bit of weight and my original wedding ring kept slipping off, so for a while I didn't wear one at all. But then the wife and I got into a sort of a debate about it, so now as a compromise I wear a signet ring (with special meaning) on my wedding ring finger and it fits much better - plus its great when I go out on the pull as it doesn't look like a wedding ring :)

Craftsman
    Just keep mine on - SWMBO would go mad if I lost it so safest to just wear it all the time - Io only take it off to clean it every so often

My wedding ring is a great big lump of silver, so it comes off whenever I go to the gymn, or on the bike, or when I come home and 'dress down'.

My wife wears her new wedding ring all the time, she has a new one as she won a diamond (only 1/2carat mind) and for about £300 we had a custom white gold ring made up (the cost of a basic mount was 'included' with the stone') with her new diamond set flush in it, her original ring was custom made too, but was a citrine set into a silver band.

Thomas Reid
    When using power tools of a certain sort, e.g., a lathe or a mill.

Best wishes,
    Bob

17th september 2003,

Never remove mine. It's a good fit so won't easily come off. More likely to get lost if off.

Put mine on when I got married - took it off 7 (or so) years later when I got divorced.

Only came off in that time if it needed a clean (food/mud or the like stuck in/on it).

Cheers,

Never take mine off, even when kitesurfing ( shame on you trying to pose as single to fit kite chicks ).

I deliberately bought a sub 100 quid silver ring when we married a few years ago so I wouldn't mind battering it. Compare that to watches and I've got a collection to deal with all situations and change them frequently.

And no I don't have any problems in the shower. I'd love to say its because I'm massively endowed but its probably because I'm a soft handed office worker.

Don't often take it off, unless doing DIY - sanding buy hand in particular.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Three of mine have been taken off never to be worn again. The 4th I am still wearing after 10 years.

Not married, so no wedding ring ;-)

In september we'll be married and I will probably wear it all the time except when gardening and sporting.

Never worn one.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by hellominky View Post
    shame on you trying to pose as single to fit kite chicks
    they're too busy laughing at my failed megaloops to notice my lack of wedding ring

Grand Master
    i wear mine all the time, apart from in the shower or when i'm doing something horrible like cleaning the drains etc.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Never.

Martin.

Never.

Blah blah, 10 characters...

Mine hasn't come off my finger since I got married.

I move it up a little in the shower to wash under it, but its never been removed.

My missus taked hers off, along with the engagement ring, most of the time at home.

Quote Originally Posted by mrw_y2k View Post
    they're too busy laughing at my failed megaloops to notice my lack of wedding ring
    Ha ha, I'm probably more on the willing novice end. I landed a megaloop once completely by accident as I was on the way to a dramatic wipe out. I was so shocked to find myself on my feet that I promptly fell over. I probably should have taken my ring off beforehand as at least my wife could pretend I wasn't hers.

Master
    When do you take your wedding ring off)
    ...on receipt of the decree absolute

I've worn mine for one day; and I almost lost it three times then. Not since.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Hour after the wedding yerrrrr

Don't even know where it is now :)

Master
    After losing my wedding ring while snorkelling during our honeymoon, the replacement now comes off when I'm swimming. Otherwise it's on all the time.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    When doing assault courses, and the compulsory military drugs tests. Other than that it stays on,.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by geordie View Post
    Washing or doing something manual like gym/mechanics etc - otherwise on all the time
    +1, I'm not married, so no wedding ring, but I wear a ring on my right hand. Always take it off in the gym and when doing manual work. The back of a gold ring tends to wear thinner over the years so it pays to look after them. However, there's more risk of losing a ring when it's off.

Paul

Take mine off at the gym, or if I'm doing anything with my watches! i.e. cleaning or changing straps - I'm worried about the watches here rather than the ring!
    Last edited by IVK; 10th January 2013 at 19:10.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    getting married this year - dread to think of the reprocussions of taking it off......even lifting weights in the gym.....I suspect he will be lining it with super glue at the alter

Banned
    In the following situations

1. Infidelity
    2. On assasination missions as it interferes with the grip on the Barrett M82A1
    3. During an alternative type of activity related to item 1 above that in military parlance would probably be referred to as a deep insertion into enemy territory
    4. When going undercover as a non married person
    5. when working on my tan. As a part time male model I simply cannot have an uneven tan.

I hope these guidelines will be of assistance to the padewan OP.

Only when in the gym using a rowing machine and when I play skittles, apart from that it just stays where it is...

When do you take your wedding ring off?

Top tip. Put ring on. Gain a little weight. Ring will not then fall off. This has worked for me!!!!

Seriously, I was also a ring novice and apart from it coming off in the pool on honeymoon it hasn't left my finger.

Took a good few months before I got use to it though, about 6 I think!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    In the following situations

1. Infidelity
    4. When going undercover as a non married person
    5. when working on my tan. As a part time male model I simply cannot have an uneven tan.
    Do you remember Bobby in Home & Away seeing a guy and every time they met she had a funny mark on her clothes? Turns out it was fake tan from covering the non-tanned bit of his wedding ring finger.

I'll get me coat...