closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Breitling Aerospace - running costs!

Journeyman

Breitling Aerospace - running costs!

Hi All

I've got a hankering for an Aerospace and am considering buying something used, circa 2007. I am a little concerned as to the reliability of the movement and as to the running costs of the watch. Yes, I own a Submariner at the moment and you could argue that that needs expensive servicing, but the reality is that it (probably) won't just stop working overnight and I can choose where I get it serviced (Rolex or local watchmaker) and therefore how much I pay to have it done.

When the battery fails on an Aerospace does it need to go back to Breitling, or is just just a normal watch battery that any competent watchmaker can change? I've also heard of modules(?) failing, is this a common occurrence and to be expected, or are these people the unlucky few?

Thanks in advance

Simon

A battery service where they replace the battery, replace all the seals and then clean (not refinish) the case and bracelet is around £85 - full service when they refinish and service (plus replace the battery) is about £230 according to the Breitling website.

Worse case if the movement needed replacment for some reason then you would be looking at a bigger bill.

I have owned 2 for the last year / 18 months and they are great pick up and go watches. There is no reason why you could not get a competent watchmaker to do the battery change for you but as the cost is not horrendous in some ways its good to get the stamp in the book when Breitling have done it.

Journeyman
    Thanks Matt, I must admit that I hadn't realised that the battery change was that cheap (£85), I should probably have googled it!!

Right, that's my first concern out of the way, any ideas about the module/movement? A common problem or just the usual internet issue where only people who have had problems post about it?

Cheers
    Simon

Check out the videos at the bottom of this page.

http://www.breitling.com/en/service/index.php

I have never come across one.. I thiink the issue arises if I you have one of the really old models (pre 2000) which if they needed parts then they would offer a replacement movement. (Or if you have damaged the LCD screens somehow for example)

But I would say they pretty rugged things.. they are quartz after all :)

Journeyman
    Thanks again Matt. And David, those videos only make me want one even more!

I tried on a new one last week, the dealer was knocking 20% off so the price was right, but I really fancy the smaller older one. I was amazed how light it was, and imagine the 40mm older style will be even lighter.

Matt, my last question for you if you don't mind, am I right in thinking the battery life is about 3 years? I'm just trying to work out whether I need to factor in the cost of a new battery when looking for a watch (a 2007 watch for example would be approaching it's 2nd battery change....)

Cheers
    Simon

3/4 years I think.. Really depends on how much u use the functions.

i have a 2001 but the battery was changed last in 2011 (well that's the only change stamped in the book) so I would expect another couple of years from it.. It will tell you once the battery is on its last legs..

price wise the 40mm between 600-1000 and the avantage newer version from 1100 to 1800ish secondhand. Again it all depends on age, strap or bracelet history etc..

thanks

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    3/4 years I think.. Really depends on how much u use the functions.

i have a 2001 but the battery was changed last in 2011 (well that's the only change stamped in the book) so I would expect another couple of years from it.. It will tell you once the battery is on its last legs..

price wise the 40mm between 600-1000 and the avantage newer version from 1100 to 1800ish secondhand. Again it all depends on age, strap or bracelet history etc..

thanks

Matt
    As I have owned around 9 of these I would add Matt is not to far out on his prices I would say £500 - £850 for the 40mm model and £1000 - £1700 ish for the advantage, BAttry change can be done by any watchmaker easily,Great watches and one of my fave lings but the golden rule for them is simple DONT GET THEM WET AT ALL EVER.

Journeyman
    Many thanks Matt / Sonyman. I was thinking of an Avantage on a bracelet, Watchfinder have one for around £1500 so that falls bang in the middle of your price range!

Just curious though, "DONT GET THEM WET AT ALL EVER.", I didn't know this was an issue, I thought they were waterproof to 30m?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonN View Post
    Many thanks Matt / Sonyman. I was thinking of an Avantage on a bracelet, Watchfinder have one for around £1500 so that falls bang in the middle of your price range!

Just curious though, "DONT GET THEM WET AT ALL EVER.", I didn't know this was an issue, I thought they were waterproof to 30m?
    They are, but only if the seals etc are all intact. If they haven't had the seals changed along with the battery then you can't say for sure they will still have 30m water resistance, but that's the same with any watch really.

Any water getting into the movement will more than likely kill it stone dead, so best not to risk it unless you know it has good seals, that's what sonyman was saying I think.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    They are, but only if the seals etc are all intact. If they haven't had the seals changed along with the battery then you can't say for sure they will still have 30m water resistance, but that's the same with any watch really.

Any water getting into the movement will more than likely kill it stone dead, so best not to risk it unless you know it has good seals, that's what sonyman was saying I think.
    Thanks Tooks, that makes sense. I only really get my watches wet when I clean them (apart from my G shock which is used for car washing/swimming etc) so it's not a problem, but good to know and I hadn't really thought about the potential issues with it getting wet. In fact, this may explain why some have needed new modules....

Master
    Thanks Tooks, that makes sense. I only really get my watches wet when I clean them (apart from my G shock which is used for car washing/swimming etc) so it's not a problem, but good to know and I hadn't really thought about the potential issues with it getting wet. In fact, this may explain why some have needed new modules....
    Well, I regularly get my 40mm Aerospace wet, and touch wood it's been fine!

I probably wouldn't knowingly go for a holiday dip in it, but I give it a regular gentle clean with an old toothbrush and don't worry about getting it wet whilst washing up/washing hands etc.

Breitling can still replace the module in many Aerospace's, apart from the very early ones, at least that was the case early last year when I checked.

Aerospace

I wear mine in the shower with no issues at all .

Thanks again Matt. And David, those videos only make me want one even more!

Matt, my last question for you if you don't mind, am I right in thinking the battery life is about 3 years? I'm just trying to work out whether I need to factor in the cost of a new battery when looking for a watch (a 2007 watch for example would be approaching it's 2nd battery change....)

Cheers
    Simon
    I bought my Aerospace in 2009 and it's still going strong on the original battery (with light use of the functions), so 3-4 years sounds about right. With reference to another post in this thread I'd certainly be happy to pay the £85 to get the battery replacement right. At just over £20per annum I think this represents pretty good value for money.

The Aerospace is 100 meters water resistant isn't it? Even the B1 is 50 meters water resistant despite the special case back design that maginifies the alarm sound.
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 9th January 2013 at 14:33.

I love mine, its such a fab everyday watch.

Banned
    Not the Aerospace but a close relative taking a dip.

OMG dare i????

I'd agree - running costs are minimal when spread over the 3-4 years a battery lasts. I would always send it to Breitling though. I had a bad experience with 'The Watch Lab' when I needed a repair on my aerospace. The module had broken, Watch Lab claimed they could fix it in-house using Breitling parts. In the end, they sent it to BUK and charged me more than if I'd sent it to BUK myself. From then on, I decided to always send the watch to BUK for any type of service or battery replacement.

Journeyman
    I'd just like to say a big thank you to everybody who has replied . My mind is made up, I'm going to start looking properly!

Master
    I swim with mine, and havent had any issues, but i did get it fully serviced as soon as i bought it off SC last year

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    I swim with mine, and havent had any issues, but i did get it fully serviced as soon as i bought it off SC last year
    Ach5,

Did you get the watch serviced by Breitling, and did it cost the £230 that they quote? Or are there a few sneaky extras that they add on?

Simon

Great decision

I'd just like to say a big thank you to everybody who has replied . My mind is made up, I'm going to start looking properly!
    You will not go wrong . Just be aware they are a VERY light watch .

Also a strap change,even leather, will transform the watch . ;)

I prefer the watch on a leather strap, it looks much nicer, but its not so good if its seriously humid such as in the tropics.

Master
    Google for the floating minute hand problem - if you're very OCD it may bother you.
    Every aerospace I've owned (at least 4) suffered from it.

maseman

Quote Originally Posted by maseman View Post
    Google for the floating minute hand problem - if you're very OCD it may bother you.

maseman
    Funny you should say that ! Mine had it but it never bothered me until I read about it on the forums...lol

Sent it back to Breitling and fixed under warranty !

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by maseman View Post

maseman
    I'd like to say that I'm not OCD, but I'm also not 100% convinced that it wouldn't bother me... I presume you found it acceptable if you've had four of them? Bearing in mind that they're not a rare watch I may ask the question before committing to buy, so thanks for the tip off.

Cheers
    Simon

Master
    Ach5,

Did you get the watch serviced by Breitling, and did it cost the £230 that they quote? Or are there a few sneaky extras that they add on?

Simon
    Yes, i sent it to Breitling, and they said it needed new hands, dial, crown and folding clasp, so it cost over £500! However, the overhaul part of it was around £230. I believe they do a battery change for less?

I'm dropping my aerospace down at Breitling tomorrow, so can ask any questions you want.

Fish

I have only had the battery changed once, and the watch was pressure tested as well. Cost me 25 pounds. I think that is perfectly ok.

I've had the watch on 38m while diving I SEA, but think I'll avoid that in the future. Somehow, simply not smart with a watch that runs electronically, despite its 100m rating