closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you use your iPad for?

Question What do you use your iPad for?

So I've got a MacBook. And I've got an iPhone 4 (soon to be 5). I've always wanted an iPad but never been able to justify it cos I don't really know what I'd use it for. Then for Christmas my super-generous sister bought me an iPad with retina display!

I am genuinely thrilled and love it, but other than downloading FIFA 13 which has taken over my life I still don't know what to do with it! It does things my iPhone does but on a bigger screen, and stuff my laptop does but on a smaller screen and in some cases not quite so well (ahem Flashplayer).

So what am I missing? Is it just the luxury cool thing I always thought it was or does it have its own legitimate place?

What do you do on your iPad?

Toby

I also have a 15" MacBook Pro, my iPhone 4 has just been replaced by iphone 5 and I bought an iPad 4 last week. I have predominantly used the MacBook for Internet browsing, emails, etc when at home, my iPhone whilst out and about and whenever I want to quickly check something at home.

Since buying the iPad, I haven't used the MacBook much other than for doing some write ups on my blog, I find the iPad easy to pick up and just browse. I use it for the Internet, emails, iMessage instead of sending from the iPhone, playing apps and checking social media. It's just so convenient to pick it up and put it down anywhere, in comparison the MacBook is just too large and cumbersome to do the same.

So in summary it's pretty much the only thing I use in the house and the iPhone does the job out of the house. Not sure if I need the MacBook now but having said that I still prefer a proper keyboard for lots of typing. I have wanted an iPad for ages but never thought I'd use it... turns out I do... A lot! The Mrs bought an iPad at the same time too and is glued to hers non stop. It's fast becoming an apple household! :-)

Craftsman
    I still think of this as a glorified toy. While I am trying to up the productivity value by starting to use Evernote, there simply isn't enough that it can do to replace a PC laptop in the workplace. Its a great media device, for watching movies/tv and such, and a possible replacement for an ereader, but other than for entertainment, I don't see much more use.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I use it for everything other than work. It's genuinely changed the way I use technology.

Banned
    Pretty much everything...

What do you use your iPad for?

In no particular order.

TZ
    Ebay
    Emails
    Music
    Games
    Google

TBH it will never replace my computer at home but it gets me what I need when at work or away from home.

regards
    T

Blog Entries
    Nothing.

I have an iPhone5 and since buying a MacBook Air two months ago my iPad has been adopted by my wife as I just stopped using it.
    I cannot really see any reason why I would ever pick it back up as the MBA does everything a lot nicer. Even out and about with business during the week it WiFi's with the car and I can actually work on it.

For me the iPad was great but then I discovered AIR.

Ta
    Pitch

Google for surfing and very little else, oh and company minutes - I need to learn some more tricks
    It's just a matter of time...

Watching films/TV on the train. Godsend
    Reading books
    Google currents (news). Great app

Don't use it daily but it's a great tool when I need it. Also got a MacBook Pro and iphone 5.

Oh and sketching notes/diagrams in meetings using jotter app

Predominantly use mine for:

Surfing/emails
    Reading (Kindle App)
    Work - I've got a lot of reference material stored as .pdf flies in iBooks...saves me carrying round a lot of paper
    Diary
    Sky - watching sport/movies when awaynform home

Banned
    I'm reading this on the 710's as my laptop has died. Where's the bloody USB port

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimJim16v View Post
    I'm reading this on the 710's as my laptop has died. Where's the bloody USB port
    You will need to upgrade to a 710.3 for a USB port. I believe the 710.4 has a thunderbolt port...

In no particular order;

Email - 3 accounts (including work integrated with Outlook)
    Calendar
    Contacts
    Mobile internet access
    Online Shopping
    Maps/Routeplanning/Aroundme
    Social Media
    Photo Storage
    Music and Podcasts
    TV and Video
    Calculator
    Weather
    TZ-UK

Edit ... Forgot Dictation and Translation

and setting watches !

Edit again ... forgot texting

Digger
    Last edited by theoriginaldigger; 7th January 2013 at 23:29.

When these came out I remeber someone saying "they are for rich people to browse the internet on whilst watching the TV" - despite the odd business presentation with much justification being made they are less "confrontational" than a laptop a few years on that still feels the best summary in reality for day to day use - although I do make occasional business use of my PlayBook TBH it is mostly used for accessing hotel WiFi

Journeyman
    iPads just promote laziness in my house. How you can think I can't be bothered using the tracking pad on my laptop when I can just touch the screen, it's appalling but true in my case.

What I think is an absolute winner is that laptop removable tablet combination thing being advertised on tv, I'll bet apple are kicking themselves for not thinking of that. If that product had an apple logo nothing else would sell. (sorry op for heading off on a tangent).

Quote Originally Posted by Summers dad View Post
    iPads just promote laziness in my house. How you can think I can't be bothered using the tracking pad on my laptop when I can just touch the screen, it's appalling but true in my case.

What I think is an absolute winner is that laptop removable tablet combination thing being advertised on tv, I'll bet apple are kicking themselves for not thinking of that. If that product had an apple logo nothing else would sell. (sorry op for heading off on a tangent).
    I'm not sure that Apple will be kicking themselves at a 60% share of a 120 million unit market (give or take).

Digger

I was given one and can safely say I hardly ever use it, I've probably charged it up less than ten times in over a year. If they asked for it back tomorrow I don't think I would really care.

I have an Air that I love and use day to day. It is great to dump in front of friends that need to use the internet when they come round because it keeps their greasy mitts off my Air :D

Also proven useful for dumping in my bag in 'unsafe' places as it is encrypted and insured against loss.

So essentially I use it as an insurance policy against my Air :D

Email
    Netflix
    BBC Iplayer
    TuneIn Radio Pro
    Fieldrunners 2 HD
    Reeder
    Time In Words
    Loads of Surfing via Safari from the sofa

1Password works a treat if you have it on your Mac.

IMO the original Kindle is a much better product for reading books on, but I do also have the Kindle app on my iPad.
    Last edited by Nogbad The Bad; 7th January 2013 at 23:46.

Master
    Have 13" and 15" MBPS, 2 x iPhone 5s, 2x iPhone 4s, 2 x iPads and 1 x iPod touch.

Both the iPads gets the most use at home for anything and everything processing and downloading aren't required. The convenience and portability along is worth having it.

Not sure if I really need an iPad mini though.. LOL
    Last edited by tabula rasa; 7th January 2013 at 23:44.

Quote Originally Posted by esm View Post

Not sure if I really need an iPad mini though.. LOL
    Looking at that list, something tells me you'll get one anyway ;)

Craftsman
    I use the bloody thing so often now, when sitting on the train reading the paper, if I can't quite read it I try pinching the image to magnify it doh!! :). Ours are both used in the house for Internet browsing and emails, mine also gets used at work for certificate filling and invoicing all done at the touch of a button. I didn't get the 3G one in the end as the iPhone doubles as a wifi hotspot. Brilliant and I was a sceptic when they where released, I haven't replaced my MacBook Pro that died last year yet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GMTMaster View Post
    Looking at that list, something tells me you'll get one anyway ;)
    LOL, busted. Wife wants to get me one, but I thought I'd wait for one with retina display. Knowing Apple, it should be released soon..

Quote Originally Posted by esm View Post
    LOL, busted. Wife wants to get me one, but I thought I'd wait for one with retina display. Knowing Apple, it should be released soon..
    Me too, I went and held one and it actually felt like something I'd use! Will also wait for Retina version ;)

Browsing Internet
    Checking email
    Couple of apps
    Just more comfy than a laptop whilst the tv is on or the Mrs is talking ;)
    I-player little bit
    Last edited by Chicken Pox; 7th January 2013 at 23:56.

Master
    My missus got me one for my birthday last year. Have hardly used it. Then again, I have had an iPhone for 4 years and have only downloaded 3 apps.

Master
    Sitting in the pub killing time; reading long pdfs; the occasional game; emailing on the move; a bit of light editing and reviewing of docs; watching films / TV programmes - particularly good when getting the train back from some absolute hell hole having been up at the crack of dawn. I couldn't really pretend that it's absolutely essential, but one does get very used to having it around.

Craftsman
    I use mine for browsing the internet, watching TED lectures via the TED app, controlling the music streaming system (SONOS and LINN DS), and accessing the TIVO box. Basically its a portable entertainment centre used mostly for watching stuff, never leaves the house.

I use a Dell laptop and desk top for doing stuff, mainly Email, word processing, spreadsheets, and image processing. Desktop at home, laptop for travelling and work.

I Phone for Email, texts, maps/satnav and phone.

regards
    grant

Craftsman
    Finding answers on the web to questions the kids ask me !!

It's a pretty good baby sitter for my two year old son! Other than that I use it to read books/PDF's in bed, and some game apps. Internet of course, though I prefer my small laptop.

Just the other day I got one of those neat little keyboards, so I'll try to use it bit more for work ... !

Last edited by bork; 8th January 2013 at 10:30. Reason: spellling erors

I use my (work provided) iPad mainly for..... work!

I've had one now for nearly 2 years (over 2 jobs - on 4th gen version at the moment) and I find it absolutely invaluable.

I haven't taken paper into a meeting in that time (I use iAnnotate and have pdf copies with me). Meeting notes are easy (iThoughts HD - mind mapping software) and I can send my notes to the minue taker as soon as the meeting is over (if necessary). I'm always connected to my work files and information.

Email and internet access on the go are essential for me.

I also use it outside of work for games, web browsing, watching TV/films.

I would find life very difficult (now) without a tablet of some sort. Wouldn't have to be an iPad though, I bought the OH a Nexus 7 which is also brilliant. The investment in iStore Apps would upset me to lose but that's about it.

Cheers,

Craftsman
    Slowly migrating from PC laptop to iPad for just about everything.

Have just resolved the problem of getting images directly from camera to iPad.

Still struggling with notes and numbers instead of word and excel but will persevere and then give up the PC for good.

Dave

Master
    Far and away the best use to date was keeping our 9 month old daughter entertained and distracted on the flight to Oz and back. Downloaded a bunch of her favourite shows which kept her amused and happy, (no doubt much to the delight of all the other passengers!). I think those two 24 hour flights alone justified having it!!

Great to have for holidays or when youre just out and about, tend to use the maps a lot, or just finding places, checking mail etc. I dont have an iphone, and probably wont, but would find it hard to live without the ipad now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Nothing.

I have an iPhone5 and since buying a MacBook Air two months ago my iPad has been adopted by my wife as I just stopped using it.
    I cannot really see any reason why I would ever pick it back up as the MBA does everything a lot nicer. Even out and about with business during the week it WiFi's with the car and I can actually work on it.

For me the iPad was great but then I discovered AIR.

Ta
    Pitch
    This for me, macair has replaced android tab, bigger laptop sits safe and sound at home and MBA for everything outside of home, in short don't need a tab anymore

I use my iPad for presenting, sketching, emailing, typing fee proposals, blog entries and letter. Oh, and playing games! I also use it as a second screen to my 13 inch MBP to free up some screen space whilst on CAD or photoshop. It goes with me everywhere. I have even been known to take it into the loo to read my emails whilst downloading.

For most things, starting with downloading The Times every morning.

My iPhone is now pretty much just my phone and I dumped my MBA in favour of an iPad on the move and an iMac in the office (and another at home).

For me a laptop is the compromise, not as good as a desktop (screen size & height, keyboard size and general ergonomics of use) and not as portable or instant as a tablet.

But if you need computing power on the move (which I don't) then the iPad probably isn't for you.

Master
    Reading the times, browsing the web and email, I could do all of this on my iPhone and did prior to having an iPad. But strangely I find all that I do on my phone these days is call and text. I even questioned my self on why I brought the iphone 5. But I am a spec freak and always get the latest toy.

Was actually considering selling my iPad and buying a cheaper tablet as it's only really used for browsing and watching movies on the go. However, the screen resolutions on the cheaper tablets really put me off compared with the iPad. So think I will just hold onto it and find some watch purchasing funds from elsewhere!

Master
    How else would I be able to watch Sky Sports at work??

Wall mount has significantly slowed productivity ;-)

What do you use your iPad for?

Since buying the new iPad I've not considered upgrading my iPhone 4 to the 5 as all i use is my iPad now.

Thomas Reid
    Although It isn't an iPad, I use my tablet for following.

1. As a glorified remote control for my music server.
    2. Sometimes streaming music (more often streaming the audio portion of Shakespearean films).
    3. Watching films while cooking or rowing.
    4. Checking email (I never reply on it, just check incoming email to see if it needs immediate attention).
    5. Alarm clock.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Replying to threads!

Email
    iMessage
    Films when travelling/eating my breakfast lol
    Surfin the net
    Looking hip in my local coffee shop!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davestrong View Post
    Have just resolved the problem of getting images directly from camera to iPad.
    How?
    What is the solution???

Craftsman
    I generally play games on mine and surf the net. I have a few apps which are quite handy but nothing that has changed my life.

I would very much like to figure out how to get a DVD/blueray onto my ipad so I can watch them when I travel...

where do i start must admit i didn't think i'd get as much use out of it as i have !

browse forums & general web surfing. some cool astronomy apps such as APOD
    watch the NFL & NBA via specific apps
    use the calendar/diary/notes in everyday life
    emails & document transfer
    games
    podcasts & films/tv shows
    radio
    imessage the girlfriend on her iphone
    social network stuff
    have some handy stuff on there, unit conversions etc

Internet
    Sunday Times
    Sonos Controller
    Spelling games for kids
    Photo storage
    Sky Go
    Recipe storage

Couldn't imagine being without sky go!

Journeyman
    I use mine for playing games, reading emails and surfing the net. I don't think it's a substitute for a laptop/desktop, but I haven't switched on my laptop in the month or so that I've owned an iPad for..... in fact, I'm beginning to wonder exactly what I use a laptop for!!

Simon

Master
    I replaced my Kindle with the Kindle app on the ipad, I use the Bloomberg Businessweek App to stay on top of news, browsing and watching Videos.

ipad use

The biggest use is for my kids to keep them quiet for half an hour or so.

So its watching movies, books that read to them, games - both learning and other.

I use it personally for limited gaming and surfing. I tend to use my phone more for the latter because if I opened up the ipad the kids would want it first.

I am on the cusp of either updating my iphone 3gs to a 5 or sticking with it and getting an ipad. The only real reason I can think I would prefer to get an ipad atm is that I want something that can stram content from lovefilm and the catch up services to my tv, and was thinking an ipad with apple tv would be an elegant solution as you could sort out what you want to watch in-hand, and then ping it to the TV when you want to watch it. Curiously no one has mentioned this as a reason they have their's (unless I missed it in which case apologies), so does this not work satifactorily as a solution or is this an overcomplicatyed way to do this as if it not worth it I think I will just go with a ihpone 5 and keep hooking up my laptop to get content onto my tv.

Thanks in advance for any pointers,

Ed

(And apologies if this is a bit of thread hijacking, can start a new one if necessary?)