closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planet Ocean Bought

Planet Ocean Bought

Well I bought one of these today and I am feeling very pleased with myself.

Model is 2909.50.82 and comes on the newer rubberised leather strap (actually I think it's just rubber) - so well fitted and no nasty gaps at the lugs, which always put me off in the past.

Rather than:

It's only my third Planet Ocean and I have always had a preference for the 300m Seamasters.

One thing I find quite funny is that the screw in back sits out almost as proud as the Rolex SD, which I've never noticed on the previous models I've owned.

Also, I much prefer the 42mm size - there was the option of buying the 45mm version - but I like the size of the 42mm and think the dial is better balanced with the date in the right place.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 7th January 2013 at 23:29.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    That is very nice. The fitted strap looks spot on. I to prefer the 42mm.
    "only" my third PO! I'll be very happy to one day have a first.
    Enjoy.

Well, I don't have the other 2 any more, but I do have spares of my favourite Rolex models.

I've always been put off the orange PO's for some reason - but it seems to look much better on the black strap to me, and the orange stitching seems to ease the harshness of the bezel - at least that's how I am explaining to myself at the minute, as I can see this being worn to death! I am looking forward to taking it in the sea and having the orange fade a little too :)

Master
    I like the orange bezel. Shame they can't do it in ceramic!

Can I put my name on that please Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by tim2012 View Post
    I actually think itd lose something in ceramic.
    Look at the lovely vivid metallic green on the old model green bezelled rolex subs compared to the dull snot green of the ceramic newer versions for an example.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Can I put my name on that please Scott.
    lol - I can't go selling you all my Omega watches Alec, and any way you wouldn't like it ;) and as I bought new from an AD, it has to be a keeper or I'd have been better off spending the money on gambling and alcohol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tim2012 View Post
    They do don't they?

Pretty sure the orange bezel isn't actually ceramic..........just painted?

congrats

easily my fav omega dive watch of their current range, I nearly got one but went for the ND instead (but you seem to have the rolex thing sewn up already!)

Actually it appears not - the current line up of inserts for the 8500 watches is as follows:

Blue = liquid metal

Black = ceramic

Orange = aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Pretty sure the orange bezel isn't actually ceramic..........just painted?
    Yep, you are right.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Actually it appears not - the current line up of inserts for the 8500 watches is as follows:

Blue = liquid metal

Black = ceramic

Orange = aluminum
    Each colour has its own merit and the blue is my favourite, apart from the extra cost. It looks different in different lighting!

The orange is vivid and makes PO unique. I am not sure of the longevity of the orange bezel and maybe someone can enlighten us?

I find the black ceramic bezel a bit boring and matt in its appearance. None the less that is the one I have.

In the flesh the black ceramic looked more grey to me, maybe it is the matte finish.
    Love the Orange PO though, personally I'd have had it on the bracelet and bought the rubber strap afterwards.

The bracelet is hideously expensive on it's own.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsie View Post
    In the flesh the black ceramic looked more grey to me, maybe it is the matte finish.
    Love the Orange PO though, personally I'd have had it on the bracelet and bought the rubber strap afterwards.

The bracelet is hideously expensive on it's own.
    Yes, I'd always buy on bracelet - if I had the choice, but the deal was for a watch on the leather, plus I have so many watches on bracelet so it makes a change and I actually prefer the look of the orange with the black. The bracelets can be bought for under £400 though, which is a lot less than I experience with Rolex - so maybe a genuine used one may come up for a couple of hundred. The strap and deployant are hideously expensive too ;)

I've had the 42mm and 45mm in black bezel with black/white dials and they are probably my favourite PO's - 42mm winning out though.

Seadog1408, Mike posted a pic of the PO's faded bezel and it looks great - but not good if you wanted to use one as your longer term diving watch.

Master
    Congrats on the PO, fantastic watches for the money.

Also, Im pretty sure the blue bezel on the titanium is ceramic.

Grand Master
    Perfect combo to my eye, 45mm, Strap (lighter) and sporty Orange
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Perfect combo to my eye, 45mm, Strap (lighter) and sporty Orange
    Ah yes, but my girlie wrists wouldn't carry off a 45mm PO as well as the 42mm ;)

I am really surprised with it - I've been wearing it not stop and don't think I'll be taking it off until I get a Pelagos :)

I love the orange. It makes it look far less "Bondy". I tried an orange in both 45mm and 42mm when I was in Jersey just over a year ago. I loved the 42mm but wasn't in the market to buy new. Even my wife liked it... I think it's time to get one. Any offers?

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinShepherd View Post
    I love the orange. It makes it look far less "Bondy". I tried an orange in both 45mm and 42mm when I was in Jersey just over a year ago. I loved the 42mm but wasn't in the market to buy new. Even my wife liked it... I think it's time to get one. Any offers?
    This was a one off - I guess they were rotating stock and replacing with the new 8500's, it was worth paying a little extra and buying new for me anyway. Still a much cheaper watch compared to the current Swiss mid range offerings - the 8500 going for £3950 and a Submariner being £5700 for example.

Banned
    Great colour scheme on these, it will make the perfect summer watch, if you can keep it that long

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    Great colour scheme on these, it will make the perfect summer watch, if you can keep it that long

I have a habit of keeping mine - well a lot of them any way. It's only when I try a few odd balls or watches outside my usual comfort zone that I tend to flip them before too long - but Rolex and Omega divers tend to stay for a while and get added to. I can honestly say that I see this one staying for the long term, as I don't own another Planet Ocean and I think the only other model I'd prefer would be the Liquid Metal LE, or the new Titanium model - but both would cost me about two of these! Crazy.

So, it's here to stay - for now.

Very nice, congratulations!

Lovely watch, congrats

I have the same watch currently sitting on an Omega mesh. Great pictures, think its time to put the black leather original back on.

Quote Originally Posted by PD1 View Post
    I have the same watch currently sitting on an Omega mesh. Great pictures, think its time to put the black leather original back on.
    Oh the pics aren't mine - one is off the Omega site! The black strap looks fantastic to me - this one is the rubber one and I think it's going to stay one this. Although I may try a black and an orange NATO - or one of the Black NATO's with orange strip :) Lots of options for me, but the only Omega mesh I have are 22mm, so no go there.

Well it's with me at work today, so let's see how it copes. Flute the first time in a while km going to set a watch to the exact time and see what ths time keeping is like.

Does anyone know how I would tell which version of the 2500 movement it has, presumably sonewhere on the cards?

You learn something everyday - well I found this on the forum, so a big thank you to whoever posted it. Looks like my watch has the newer style date wheel, so should mean the 2500D movement.

Last edited by Omegamanic; 8th January 2013 at 11:37.

Master
    An interesting and useful find!

Master
    Congratulations on the watch, it does look lovely. I wish I had the courage to buy in orange. I did try on the new PO 42mm yesterday in goldsmiths. But alas it just looks wrong on my worst.

Very nice!

I've wanted one of these for years, but everytime I think I ready to commit Omega put the price up!

I think i may just swap my sub for one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    Congratulations on the watch, it does look lovely. I wish I had the courage to buy in orange. I did try on the new PO 42mm yesterday in goldsmiths. But alas it just looks wrong on my worst.
    I must admit, I never liked them when they first came out - I think I've made some comments on here about them too. I still don't really like the orange on the bracelet. But... I am wearing it and loving it! maybe I just needed a bit of colour in my dull winter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I think i may just swap my sub for one of these.
    Don't do it. Great watches - but it isn't a sub. I've look at buying one at the right price and having the option of both. Colour and black :)

Beautiful, congratulations!

Master
    Lovely watch, I really like the liquid metal version, however this is a great summer watch

Congratulations,

I have this on the bracelet and have the orange rubber strap. Looking to get the black and orange rubber ( as in another thread) to make it a one watch for all seasons! Orange for summer/casual. Black and orange for smart casual and bracelet for suit/formal.

Quote Originally Posted by michalko82 View Post
    Lovely watch, I really like the liquid metal version, however this is a great summer watch
    What are you trying to say?? You calling my watch a shandy light weight summer watch?? That's fighting talk where I come from - had to move away from there, it's far too rough!

Well, I have tried a couple of other watches since I bought this colourful thing the other day - but have come back to this one for some reason?? Maybe it's the fact I haven't owned a Planet Ocean for 4 years, maybe it really is down to the colour just being so different to any other watch I own - I don't know what it is, but I really like it.

Funnily enough, I've just re-read one of my trade posts when I had an Omega SMP 2254 up, and I said I'd consider a Planet Ocean - but not the orange bezel lol - how things change.

Has anyone else bought something they initially didn't like, or had serious reservations about - if so what were your thoughts when you finally took the plunge?
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 13th January 2013 at 18:44.

Has anyone else bought something they initially didn't like, or had serious reservations about - if so what were your thoughts when you finally took the plunge?
    yeah my 114060, first time I handled one (& compared it too a SMPc) I thought my god, how can rolex charge so much for this (still probably a fair comment ;), the bezel action I found had more play (back and forth between clicks) than some of my micro brands, from beneath the sub just looked like a big plain dull slab of metal and where was the AR on a 5K watch?

the second time I tried it, I started to understand the shape made sense to me, the bezel action still had the play but the quality of the click was evident, the plain jane underside became just the that - the underside, the maxi dial shouted the time and wasn't lost in reflections, it wasn't gaudy - it was classic and timeless, the quality of the bracelet was seducing, and of course that clasp... I realised that the sub did what it needed too and nothing more and was superior (imho of course) because of it

3rd time I tried it, I bought it

Good choice in the 42mm, I agree it's a much better balanced presentation. The strap sets it apart too - although I confess I am not too keen on the orange variant myself.
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    I confess I am not too keen on the orange variant myself.
    I really wasn't sold on the orange and I would have always said the plain black and white PO was the one to go for. Now I'd prefer mine on its strap - but if I was going to wear a PO on a bracelet, I would still choose the plain black and white before this one - I probably wouldn't wear it as much though ;)

Quote Originally Posted by adzman808 View Post
    yeah my 114060, first time I handled one (& compared it too a SMPc) I thought my god, how can rolex charge so much for this (still probably a fair comment ;), the bezel action I found had more play (back and forth between clicks) than some of my micro brands, from beneath the sub just looked like a big plain dull slab of metal and where was the AR on a 5K watch?

the second time I tried it, I started to understand the shape made sense to me, the bezel action still had the play but the quality of the click was evident, the plain jane underside became just the that - the underside, the maxi dial shouted the time and wasn't lost in reflections, it wasn't gaudy - it was classic and timeless, the quality of the bracelet was seducing, and of course that clasp... I realised that the sub did what it needed too and nothing more and was superior (imho of course) because of it

3rd time I tried it, I bought it
    Fantastic :)

I went try the Deep Sea at least 5 times - the missus said it was far too big and didn't look right. Eventually I bought it as a birthday present to myself, and no it's one of my favourite watches - and she says it's her favourite of all my watches lol

Fantastic :)

I went try the Deep Sea at least 5 times - the missus said it was far too big and didn't look right. Eventually I bought it as a birthday present to myself, and no it's one of my favourite watches - and she says it's her favourite of all my watches lol
    Ive tried the deepsea a few times too and each time it appealed a little bit more. Nearly paid cash for one in WOS back when it was so much cheaper! I just wish the bloody price didnt keep shooting up so fast! And, solely for that reason, Im out!
    Seadweller for me will always the far better watch overall and thatll be one of my next purchases - again I regret not buying it prior to the rolex price spaz-out.
    That DSSD bezel click will stay with me forever though - hand on heart Ive never heard or felt a better one

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    That DSSD bezel click will stay with me forever though - hand on heart Ive never heard or felt a better one
    Feels amazing - but it is one of only a few watches that, when worn for work, the bezel has moved by the time I get home.

That's lovely - really like the orange! Congrats!

Journeyman
    It's a cool colour and fantastic watch! Congrats!

Still wearing it. Not sure why, but no other watch is getting a look in. I think I could quite easily take this and around 5 other watches I own and be quite happy if the others disappeared and the money for the arrived in my bank account!

Still wearing it. Not sure why, but no other watch is getting a look in. I think I could quite easily take this and around 5 other watches I own and be quite happy if the others disappeared and the money for the arrived in my bank account!
    why do I get a feeling that if that actually happened, you'd end thinking; 'wow look at all this money - Hmmm my watchbox looks a bit empty, lets go watch shopping'

Journeyman
    Really like it! Considered it when I bought my PO but as it was my first watch I decided to go for the more neutral version with black bezel (and red numbers)

Craftsman
    Great looking watch, and I thought I didn't like the orange bezel version. I have to say though that with the fitted strap it looks superb.

Alan

Lovely watch, enjoy! I am liking the rubber(ised leather) strap with orange stitching too. I really like the PO's but just can't justify one at the moment as still love my titanium seamaster which, whilst a tad smaller, fills the gap for me. I do like the matt black ceramic bezel though...