closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Let's raise some money for charity - UPDATE PAGE 6

Seems like a good thing do. Eddie doesn't ask for much for running this show. In fact, nothing, as far as I can see. Must be worth a round of drinks or so to charity.

Not that it will sway anyone's thoughts, but I might mention that there is a small incentive on offer too. That post will get buried soon enough, but the offer is open until the end of Feb. Current odds are very favourable

Paul

Well done Eddie this is a great idea, if you plan to do the same in the future you could we consider a charity to like Combat Stress http://www.combatstress.org.uk/

I am always trying to raise funds for them, as there are a lot of our chaps coming back with major issues, who just can't fit in with a normal life and keep reliving the trauma of life on the front line. IED's etc

This charity does its best to help them recover and gives support.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashharry View Post
    Well done Eddie this is a great idea, if you plan to do the same in the future you could we consider a charity to like Combat Stress http://www.combatstress.org.uk/

I am always trying to raise funds for them, as there are a lot of our chaps coming back with major issues, who just can't fit in with a normal life and keep reliving the trauma of life on the front line. IED's etc

This charity does its best to help them recover and gives support.
    I propose starting another fundraising page when this one ends in 47 days and this is an excellent candidate for inclusion.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Eddie: I would be more than happy to donate 20 quid, how is this best done. I am overseas so would need to use a bank transfer from my UK account and I am not eligible for tax back.

I'm overseas too - the site allows you to use PayPal or credit card. Can't claim tax back of course.

Paul

Craftsman
    Just found this (let's face it - I spend most of my time in Boys' Room) and I think it's a fine idea - especially the ever-changing beneficiaries.

Votes from me for ...
    Parkinsons UK
    Alzheimer's Society

After just 2 weeks I think it's got off to a cracking start with 152 contributions totalling £3,493.50 (£4,237.50 taking Gift Aid into account). With another 41 days to go before it closes I'm still confident that the target of £10,000 us achievable but only if the other 3,000+ active forum members wake up and start counting the change in their pockets ;-).

I know most of us on the forum contribute to our favourite charities but I'd like to raise enough money to make a significant difference to a few charities. Here's what I'm asking you to do:

Each evening, put all the loose change from your pockets into a container and do this every evening for a month; based on my own experience it's easy to save £20 in a month.

Now here's where it potentially gets very interesting: the forum has 3,386 active members which multiplied by £20 each = £67,720! If we select up to 10 charities and divide the money equally between them, that's a significant sum for each of them.
    I previously posted an e-mail from ABC Animal Sanctuary, here's one from the British Lung Foundation just to let you know our efforts are appreciated.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I propose starting another fundraising page when this one ends in 47 days and this is an excellent candidate for inclusion.

Eddie
    I would contribute without hesitation Eddie.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

No donations for almost 48 hours now :-(.

Eddie

More than eight hundred views of my free £200 G Shock offer, but just a handful of entries. Don't want to bump it too often, but ... seems the charitable feelings are perhaps tapped out for now.

Paul

This charitable effort found while researching my next diver is what made me decide to buy a Precista instead of an MKII. Will visit free watch link as soon as post count permits. I assure any potential overseas donors that donation is not an issue with PayPal. One word of caution, though, your credit card company may charge an extra 3% for the transaction if you have that connected to your PayPal account, better to use direct bank transfer through PayPal.
    Last edited by GFloyd; 24th February 2013 at 17:41.

Following a flurry of activity the fund now stands at just over 4K and a smidgeon under 5K with Gift aid. One remarkable donation of £200 (I think I know who yoiu are ;-) ) and a couple of £50. Still only about 4% of active members have donated and nowhere near everyone who uses Sales Corner. All donations welcome, no matter how small.

Eddie

Craftsman
    good on you Eddie and good on everyone who has donated so far. I'm late to the party but happy to do my little bit and look forward to seeing where we can take this.

And donated! Great stuff Eddie

Cheers

Mark

Jut made a donation myself.
    Thanks for setting this up, Eddie. I think it's a very good idea.

Congratulations to Eddie and all who have contributed - over half way there!

So if there's anyone with some loose change floating around, you know what to do with it.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master
    If only 25% of those of us have already given could squeeze out another £10 we would be there.
    paul.

Master
    If I get paid this side of bank holiday weekend I'll kick another few quid in. Feels like it's been a long month!

What's happening after this Eddie, new charity and start all over again or is this an occasional thing? It seems to have improved the general karma of the place this charity page!

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    If I get paid this side of bank holiday weekend I'll kick another few quid in. Feels like it's been a long month!

What's happening after this Eddie, new charity and start all over again or is this an occasional thing? It seems to have improved the general karma of the place this charity page!
    This one ends on 21 March and then there will be another with 5 new charities. This time I'll go for lesser-known charities.

Eddie

Master
    Brilliant, so a rolling fundraiser with the charities rotating every month.
    Good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Brilliant, so a rolling fundraiser with the charities rotating every month.
    Good stuff!
    I don't know if it's been discussed, but has the option of a short delay before the next fundraiser been considered? I only mention as the great flurry of activity and generous donations we're seeing to reach the goal will likely mean that people suffer from some degree of 'charity exhaustion' in the immediate aftermath. I would hate for the next set of charities to miss out as folks are all 'charitied out' for a little while.

Just a thought. Compassion fatigue I think it's termed. I believe the figures charting donations vs long-term or consecutive appeals show a drop off after a while (diminishing returns), but if given even a little time between appeals there was a higher rate of donations.

Either way everyone is doing great as we near the end of this appeal and I think everyone should feel all warm and fuzzy :)

This one ends on 21 March and then there will be another with 5 new charities. This time I'll go for lesser-known charities.

Eddie
    31st March. ;-)

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Less than £150 to get to £10k. Come on guys.

Target well busted, bloody good show by all who contributed

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Target well busted, bloody good show by all who contributed

And maybe those who didn't should take a look at themselves - these are bl... good charities, that we can only hope we don't need one day

Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren View Post
    And maybe those who didn't should take a look at themselves - these are bl... good charities, that we can only hope we don't need one day
    When the fundraising was announced I looked at the choice of charities and, given the target figure compared to the amount of traffic on this forum, I thought it would be exceeded by a large factor.

As it turned out, many who use this forum did not contribute at all and it was through the efforts of a smallish group that the target was even reached. So well done to everyone who did: and yes, those who didn't contribute a thing should take a look at themselves.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Well done to all and thanks to the boss for organizing things in the first place :-)

Master
    Super effort guys makes for a good feeling.
    paul.

For those in doubt about the benefits of helping others:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...t-when-we-give

As for the charity - great job done by the (real) TZ-UK community.

I just sold a Bulova 23 jewel non-runner 'for parts' to dejjl (David EJJL) with proceeds going to Eddie's TZ UK Fundraiser. There must be must be a number of other non-runner watches laying dormant in forum members' collections so please consider passing them on via TZ UK SC for a donation to the Virgin moneygiving scheme.

Cheers

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Well done Dunk.

As you say there must be plenty of folk who have a decent cheapy or whatever they could auction or sell for the fund.

I auctioned off a Smiths pocket watch and got a very good response from some generous TZ-ers.

I'll have a trawl through for something else.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Just out of interest,when is the current fundraiser period finishing,and the next one with the new charities starting?

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Just out of interest,when is the current fundraiser period finishing,and the next one with the new charities starting?
    The current one has officially finished although the page will still accept donations. I'll give it a rest for a while before starting another, the current one has been a bit of a disappointment.

Eddie

The current one has officially finished although the page will still accept donations. I'll give it a rest for a while before starting another, the current one has been a bit of a disappointment.

Eddie
    Maybe a highlighted sticky in the TZ UK SC might remind sellers that a donation would be appreciated - especially if worded subtly but without sounding too threatening, or, on the other hand too 'Richard Nixon-ish'. But, on the other foot, maybe some of the regular (and regular+) '£'000s worth' sellers also need more of a 'not so subtle' kick to remind them.

dunk

EDIT: Is it possible to incorporate a reminder into the actual SC listing draft e.g. a simple 'tick box' indicating that a donation will be made?
    Last edited by sundial; 22nd June 2013 at 13:00.

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Eddie
    Fair enough,although i don't personally think £5.5k is a disappointing amount to give to charity. The first one was always going to benefit from a groundswell of giving because it was 'new'. Subsequent donation periods were almost certainly going to be 'disappointing' compared to the first total.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Fair enough,although i don't personally think £5.5k is a disappointing amount to give to charity. The first one was always going to benefit from a groundswell of giving because it was 'new'. Subsequent donation periods were almost certainly going to be 'disappointing' compared to the first total.
    Less than £1000 has been donated to date during June. Furthermore, it's not just from sales that donations can be made. If someone places a WTB, both they and the seller could make a donation. It's obvious to me that some members are placing so many FS and also WTB posts that they're unlikely to be for watches for their own use/pleasure ie they are probably 'dealing' to make ££ - and some do not make donations (unless they hide under the 'Anonymous' handle) They are ripe fodder for commencing an 'ignore' list if I decide to sell any box office watches. It's a simple matter to scan through the listed donors and ascertain who has not contributed - took me less than a minute looking for one suspect individual for whom there is no trace of a donation.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 22nd June 2013 at 13:33.

Though some, like me, think any contribution I make is nobody's business but mine, so anonymous it is.

New direct link to the fundraising page:

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/tz-uk2015

Eddie

this is a great idea and nice to see... macmillan done a great deal for my uncle and his immediate family over the last few years until he sadly passed away earlier this year, we had a great fundraiser for them afterwards with a good turn out in his local pub lol (might aswell have been his home :D ) i wish i was a lot better off so i could make significant differences to some charities close to my heart but i guess when everyone clubs together even the little bits add up :)

Hi

How do I donate? The Virgin money page says the donations are closed?

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    Hi

How do I donate? The Virgin money page says the donations are closed?
    Did you click on the banner at the top of this page? It works fine for me.

Eddie

Must be Tapatalk, I can't see a banner

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    Must be Tapatalk, I can't see a banner
    It is Tapatalk but here's the link - http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/tz-uk2015

Eddie

Cheers donation made

Master
    Hi, I'm new on the forum. Is the fundraiser still running? How can we donate and what are the charities for this year? Thanks

LE : Never mind, I've found the other thread with the Virginmoney link in it
    Last edited by asteclaru; 20th August 2015 at 12:35.

Master
    Eddie, how about a modest fee for the sales thread? Or maybe its been suggested?

After all, i'd say theres a far greater rate of success selling your watch on here than ebay and you dont pay the listing fee or the ebay AND Paypal commission fee.

I'd think something like a pound or two per listing would be i nice little charity earner running in the background and wouldn't upset any genuine member as they'd still be financially ahead of ebay on even a 30 quid sale.

Quote Originally Posted by EchoSevenNine View Post
    Eddie, how about a modest fee for the sales thread? Or maybe its been suggested?

After all, i'd say theres a far greater rate of success selling your watch on here than ebay and you dont pay the listing fee or the ebay AND Paypal commission fee.

I'd think something like a pound or two per listing would be i nice little charity earner running in the background and wouldn't upset any genuine member as they'd still be financially ahead of ebay on even a 30 quid sale.
    That would be a service and thus probably subject to VAT and associated admin costs

dunk

Master
    Indeed it would, but would still be an earner for charity nonetheless.

70p out of every pound over 20 posts a day mounts up to over 5k a year and a lot of good things can still be done with 5k.

Quote Originally Posted by EchoSevenNine View Post
    Indeed it would, but would still be an earner for charity nonetheless.

70p out of every pound over 20 posts a day mounts up to over 5k a year and a lot of good things can still be done with 5k.
    For every £1 raised via your suggestion, only 83p (after VAT) would be donated to charity - whereas for every £1 donated to the fundraiser a potential £1.25 goes to charity … a difference of 42p per £ donated. And you're not taking into account potential admin time and costs.

dunk

I looked at this some time ago and couldn't find a way to monitor it effectively. Either I got a custom plug-in written (cost £800) or rely on the "honesty box" method.

Eddie