closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Let's raise some money for charity - UPDATE PAGE 6

Quote Originally Posted by RickChard View Post
    Donated, well done Eddie for getting this off the ground.
    +1

Maybe this could be a sticky and every now and again the choice of charities reviewed...?

Quote Originally Posted by gog View Post
    +1

Maybe this could be a sticky and every now and again the choice of charities reviewed...?
    The plan is to run this fundraiser until 31 March 2013 and then set up another one with 5 different charities.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Only to pleased to donate for such a worthwhile cause, here's hoping everyone else does, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    The plan is to run this fundraiser until 31 March 2013 and then set up another one with 5 different charities.

Eddie
    A nice idea. Thanks Eddie....

Great news....donating now!

Craftsman
    It's up and running now, please be generous :-)

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/TZ-UK

Eddie
    my apologies... didn't realise there was a thread for it. seen the announcement at the top but you cannot reply there. anyway, i do feel that some members should donate given their very nice collections, it's not like £10 or £20 is going to break the bank... and the ones that have bragged that you can easily get 20% discount at an AD.... they are obviously talking from experience... so cough up. it is far less than the discount you got on your watch! even 20% on a £350 watch is £70 so you are £50 better off instead of £70.

but i did post in watch talk, as you can't tell your members to not be a tightwad! it is of course voluntary, but we will know who the tightwads are as your name is listed in the donations page. missing name.... tightwad. simple as that.

Done, thumbs up to EP

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by cornish View Post
    , but we will know who the tightwads are as your name is listed in the donations page. missing name.... tightwad. simple as that.
    I'm not sure that the idea is to pressure people into donating just because others think they should.Anyway,as i understand it,you have an option whether or not to display your name on the donations page.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    I'm not sure that the idea is to pressure people into donating just because others think they should.Anyway,as i understand it,you have an option whether or not to display your name on the donations page.
    there is no pressure. just an awareness. but if you can afford an an a.lang sohne or a glashutte-original even a rolex or omega, then such a nominal amount isn't exactly going to hurt, is it? no pressure to donate, but the embarrassment of not having your name on the page is sufficient enough to tell everyone that however much you value your nice watch collection, you don't really give a toss about about people that have fallen victim to child abuse or people that are suffering cancer and the support that some of these charities give to the cancer families or rehoming children in caring families that wish to give a child the best start in life they could hope for.

no pressure. but awareness of what you can save on a discount and passing some of that on in good will, or realising you have an astonishlingly envious collection of watches and not giving a little to worth y causes....... yeah no pressure. i don't have a lot, but can still give to the less well off in society. i'm just not a selfish self-centered a-hole.

Great idea Eddie, thanks for organising this.
    Nigel

Master
    no pressure. but awareness of what you can save on a discount and passing some of that on in good will, or realising you have an astonishlingly envious collection of watches and not giving a little to worth y causes....... yeah no pressure. i don't have a lot, but can still give to the less well off in society. i'm just not a selfish self-centered a-hole.
    ^^^ This attitude I really don't like ^^^
    Who the h*ll are you to pass judgement on who donates what where???
    Charitable donations are a personal matter for an individual & their conscience.

there is no pressure. just an awareness. but if you can afford an an a.lang sohne or a glashutte-original even a rolex or omega, then such a nominal amount isn't exactly going to hurt, is it? no pressure to donate, but the embarrassment of not having your name on the page is sufficient enough to tell everyone that however much you value your nice watch collection, you don't really give a toss about about people that have fallen victim to child abuse or people that are suffering cancer and the support that some of these charities give to the cancer families or rehoming children in caring families that wish to give a child the best start in life they could hope for.

While I may have some sympathy with the sentiment (being regarded on TZ as one of the pinko-leftie brigade), I think that is a bit strong and rather unnecessary.

Many members have been here a long time (much longer than you) and know each other to be very decent chaps. Many will already give to charities. I don't think you are required to "shame" members into giving as some kind of self-appointed forum social conscience.

Anyhow, I am happy to donate now, and will do so again. My choice.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    While I may have some sympathy with the sentiment (being regarded on TZ as one of the pinko-leftie brigade), I think that is a bit strong and rather unnecessary.

Many members have been here a long time (much longer than you) and know each other to be very decent chaps. Many will already give to charities. I don't think you are required to "shame" members into giving as some kind of self-appointed forum social conscience.

Anyhow, I am happy to donate now, and will do so again. My choice.
    i'm not in the business of naming and shaming.... it is purely voluntary whether one wishes to donate or not. there are many decent people here and a lot of trust between members when transacting from distance. that goes without question.

hard-sell? maybe. worth it? yes. is my post morally wrong? no.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by langtoft lad View Post
    ^^^ This attitude I really don't like ^^^
    Who the h*ll are you to pass judgement on who donates what where???
    Charitable donations are a personal matter for an individual & their conscience.
    i'm the same guy that would gladly help another person out that unfortunately put their car in a ditch in wintry icy weather....

but each to their own i guess. i'm guessing if eddie suddenly made this forum a paid subscription service, you would gladly leave. even though he provides this at his own cost without outside advertising.

but that's your opinion and you are entitled to it, just as i am entitled to mine.

i'm the same guy that would gladly help another person out that unfortunately put their car in a ditch in wintry icy weather....

but each to their own i guess. i'm guessing if eddie suddenly made this forum a paid subscription service, you would gladly leave. even though he provides this at his own cost without outside advertising.

but that's your opinion and you are entitled to it, just as i am entitled to mine.
    Guys, I don't think I have communicated with either of you before, may I please appeal to you to just drop this with no reply, and remember what this thread is about...and it isn't about us.
    Nigel

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tempfort View Post
    Guys, I don't think I have communicated with either of you before, may I please appeal to you to just drop this with no reply, and remember what this thread is about...and it isn't about us.
    Nigel
    without us, there would be no donations. so i don't see anything wrong with raising awareness, even if some take exception to that fact. we are all different. and the only conformity here is the committe apraisal of speedmaster and rolex!

Great to see you've got this up and running Eddie, I've added a bit to the kitty.

Master
    ...but each to their own i guess. i'm guessing if eddie suddenly made this forum a paid subscription service, you would gladly leave. even though he provides this at his own cost without outside advertising.
    WTF - I'm commenting on your p*ssy judgmental attitude - not the charity.
    I think TFB phrased it better than me, and I'm taking onboard Tempfort's words.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by langtoft lad View Post
    WTF - I'm commenting on your p*ssy judgmental attitude - not the charity.
    I think TFB phrased it better than me, and I'm taking onboard Tempfort's words.
    i think you are taking it to heart too much and need to calm down a little bit. i've shared an opinion that you trongly disagree with and using blanked out expletives! says it all really. TFB made a good case and i answered it accordingly, with respect, which is far more than you deerve considering your het-up response. if you took on board tempforts words, then you wouldn't have posted a response in the first instance.

once again, i am entitled to share my opinion. if you don't like it... tough.

Happy to have donated, hope we can reach the target soon!

sorted , great choice of charities and a few are close to my heart

Al

Master
    i think you are taking it to heart too much and need to calm down a little bit. i've shared an opinion that you trongly disagree with and using blanked out expletives! says it all really. TFB made a good case and i answered it accordingly, with respect, which is far more than you deerve considering your het-up response. if you took on board tempforts words, then you wouldn't have posted a response in the first instance.

once again, i am entitled to share my opinion. if you don't like it... tough.
    Of course dear Cornish you are entitled to share your opinion, but not 'bully' it, which you clearly have been doing in response to a couple of members here. The gong that hit the bell (quoting above) is.... ''if you don't like it... tough.''
    And asking someone to ''calm down a little bit'' in the context of this thread/your response quite patronizing.
    Charity is a private personal thing, all well and good for sure, but don't get on to people who make an opinion one way or the other.
    Cheers.

my apologies... didn't realise there was a thread for it. seen the announcement at the top but you cannot reply there. anyway, i do feel that some members should donate given their very nice collections, it's not like £10 or £20 is going to break the bank... and the ones that have bragged that you can easily get 20% discount at an AD.... they are obviously talking from experience... so cough up. it is far less than the discount you got on your watch! even 20% on a £350 watch is £70 so you are £50 better off instead of £70.

but i did post in watch talk, as you can't tell your members to not be a tightwad! it is of course voluntary, but we will know who the tightwads are as your name is listed in the donations page. missing name.... tightwad. simple as that.
    Thanks for guiding everyone else towards correct behaviour. So what would you say is a proper donation to make sure one is not to be considered a tightwad? £20 I suppose?

I think this is all a bit unnecessary, and a bit unseemly. cornish - there are more ways to donate than this method set up by Eddie, so there'll be no shaming here. (On a personal note, I don't think we need a '12 reg date poster telling the rest of the forums how this should work.)

This thread should be a happy place - feel free to send me a PM if you'd like to complain.

I find this offensive as my name will not be listed on the donations page, but it does not mean I have not donated. I donated £67 to one of the charities that Eddie chose (ABC Animal Sanctuary), just before this method of donation was set up. Please do NOT make assumptions.

Thanks

Foggy

If you want to give and are able to do so please do but in no way feel there is any pressure to do so.

Anonymous giving is just as welcome and something I have done in the past, along with many others (it's a bit Tom Jones - "not unusual"), and I may chose to do so again in the future.

Now, where's that stuff I was going to sell for the cause.
    Gray

Just Donated and its up to over 1600 pound now thats growing nicely sure the charites will be pleased

Many thanks to everyone who donated early, it's a cracking start! I set the target at what some may feel as an ambitious level because with more than 3000 active forum members, that's only about £3 each and all donations so far have been in excess of this. If you want to break it down further, that's about 5p a day for the duration of the fundraiser, surely not too much to ask for use of this magnificent forum ;-).

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Good work Eddie and a very good choice of charities.

Particularly pleased to see Alexandra Bastedo's shelter on there.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Can I suggest adding the link to the donation page on the first post in the thread or start a new thread wit it stickied as someone else said.
    It is a bit hidden down at the bottom of page 2. OH and great idea Eddie.

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/TZ-UK

Hi Eddie

Not been around much, so only just saw this.

Really nice thought, good charities to benefit as well.

Thanks
    deano

Donation made Eddie - great initiative!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Donation made, well done Eddie on setting this up !

Dear Eddie, Thank you so much for all your help- it is much appreciated and very impressive! Regards Alexandra
    Eddie

When I try to edit my forum signature, as soon as I type anything, I am redirected to the Virgin Giving page.

Odd ( I already donated too ! )

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    When I try to edit my forum signature, as soon as I type anything, I am redirected to the Virgin Giving page.

Odd ( I already donated too ! )

Paul
    Similar thing happened to me yesterday, I'll have to move the banner at the top of the forum.

Eddie

Eddie, there is no link from the click to donate box.

Similar thing happened to me yesterday, I'll have to move the banner at the top of the forum.

Eddie
    It's fixed now, thanks !

Paul

Eddie
    Don't be fooled Eddie, that's Bessie "Big Thighs" Arkwright from Rochdale. She'll do most things for a curry role and chips. Chuck in a deep fried Mars Bar and she'll invite her sister as well.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmusic View Post
    Eddie, there is no link from the click to donate box.
    I left a bit of code off when I moved the banner, it's working now. Thanks for mentioning it.

Eddie

Eddie
    I was given the Pirelli calendar with her in (about 1970?) which was an instant collectors item. A year or two later I was mortified to find my younger brother had cut the pictures out and stuck them on the wall of his room.

I finally forgave him only a couple of years ago when he sadly passed away.

Blog Entries
    Many thanks to everyone who donated early, it's a cracking start! I set the target at what some may feel as an ambitious level because with more than 3000 active forum members, that's only about £3 each and all donations so far have been in excess of this. If you want to break it down further, that's about 5p a day for the duration of the fundraiser, surely not too much to ask for use of this magnificent forum ;-).

Eddie
    Agreed entirely and I am in!

Journeyman
    Donated. Great work everyone, and especially to Eddie.

A splendid total from the 100 members who have donated so far but there's 3363 active forum members. Come on lads, count up your loose change you've been saving in a jar and give it to charity! (please ;-) )

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Don't be fooled Eddie, that's Bessie "Big Thighs" Arkwright from Rochdale. She'll do most things for a curry role and chips. Chuck in a deep fried Mars Bar and she'll invite her sister as well.
    Do you get all three sisters for a MARS DUO?

Great stuff Eddie count me in.......

Away lads. Get yer dosh out :)

Are you going to analyse the donors' names and compare same to the TZ UK member list? You will not find my forum name on the list of donors - but I have donated - via Eddie's 'Virgin Giving' and also directly to one of the charities. Simple as that.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 9th February 2013 at 09:23.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

I don't agree with trying to shame people into donating, although I do wish that more people would. I especially think that those who make regular use of Sales Corner should consider donating a few quid ;-).

Eddie

Craftsman
    I don't agree with trying to shame people into donating, although I do wish that more people would. I especially think that those who make regular use of Sales Corner should consider donating a few quid ;-).

Eddie
    I don't sell on SC very often, have brought a few from there and have happily made a donation. Great effort Eddie and thanks for the excellent forum.