closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's raise some money for charity - UPDATE PAGE 6

Grand Master
    Bearing in mind the fact that we all get use of this forum for free, I think it's an excellent idea in principle. I`m sure many of us pay membership fees for other things (golf...gym......etc.....) so we should be willing to part with a few quid to Eddie's nominated charities.

Taking advantage of the tax relief on donations is paramount IMO; as for the chosen charities I think we have to go with Eddie's judgement on this.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    May I suggest:

Cancer Research UK
    Help For Heroes
    Royal National Lifeboats Institution
    SHELTER
    The Royal British Legion
    Guide Dogs For The Blind Association
    Age UK
    Macmillan Cancer Support
    The Great Ormand Street Children's Hospital Charity
    Alzheimer's Society

As far as I know with justgivin you can select one, or more, or all equally for your donation. That gives folks choice.
    I don't want to come over as a kill joy, but as someone who works for several charities. There is a great in balance on some charities standing.
    Guide Dogs for the Blind have millions in the bank, they employ very few blind people, I have several blind friends who are very anti this organisation. They have been investigated on several occasions as to miss use of funds. They own masses of property much of it on the Isle of Man.

Many years ago I fund raised for Macmillan, because they cared for my cousins wife who passed away from the dreadful disease. I raised £3,500 by a sponsored swim (I swam 3 miles... not bad with one leg). The treatment I received from the organisation was appalling, I won't go into details on here, but I vowed never to raise funds for them again. My wife had a similar ordeal with SCOPE.

Raising funds for Charities is great, I do it all the time I'm a trustee of two. But be very careful of who you are raising money for and how the funds are intended to be used. I will participate if the right organisations are chosen.

Amongst the Army benevolent charities Help for Heroes have been receiving some very bad press. BLESMA do not like attending events that they are in attendance at, the Legion have the same feelings. Anyhow I've said enough just be careful.
    Last edited by wildheart; 3rd January 2013 at 00:56.

Quote Originally Posted by geordie View Post
    Justgiving take more of the money for their own "costs" at 5% - virgin money giving are significantly better taking only 2%, and let you split the supported charities as you choose.

JG charge their fee on the total including gift aid, whereas the VM fee is based on the original donation with gift aid left untouched.

With just giving, if you donate £10 and claim gift aid, the charity receive £11.74

With virginmoney giving, that same £10 with gift aid means the charity receive £12.15

In the interests of full disclosure I work for virgin money (but not the charity side)

It would probably make sense to do a virgin money page if its the cheapest and wouldnt require someone putting in lots of work. as it would the simplest way to do it , well I assume .

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    I don't want to come over as a kill joy, but as someone who works for several charities. There is a great in balance on some charities standing.
    Guide Dogs for the Blind have millions in the bank, they employ very few blind people, I have several blind friends who are very anti this organisation. They have been investigated on several occasions as to miss use of funds. They own masses of property much of it on the Isle of Man.

Many years ago I fund raised for Macmillan, because they cared for my cousins wife who passed away from the dreadful disease. I raised £3,500 by a sponsored swim (I swam 3 miles... not bad with one leg). The treatment I received from the organisation was appalling, I won't go into details on here, but I vowed never to raise funds for them again. My wife had a similar ordeal with SCOPE.

Raising funds for Charities is great, I do it all the time I'm a trustee of two. But be very careful of who you are raising money for and how the funds are intended to be used. I will participate if the right organisations are chosen.

Amongst the Army benevolent charities Help for Heroes have been receiving some very bad press. BLESMA do not like attending events that they are in attendance at, the Legion have the same feelings. Anyhow I've said enough just be careful.
    I agree that charities need choosing very carefully; there are some charities that I would not wish to donate to - especially those known to be very buoyant with funds. I'm already a volunteer worker with a major charity and for this reason would not wish to give them more of my resources - I'd prefer to donate to another good charitable cause. Rather than make a list of favourite charities it might be best just to leave the beneficiaries to Eddie - thus avoiding squabbling amongst ourselves. And it might be best to donate to them one charity at a time - with each 'collection' being active/live for one month at a time. Then after 12 months, 12 charities would have benefitted. There will aways be 'disasters' occuring in the world for which some members would wish to make donations and thus suggest we make exceptions - but maybe we need to draw up strict guidelines and only collect for those charities within eg the 12 month plan list. If we try and assist too many charities they could end up receiving negligible amounts. And we need a system whereby we can monitor exactly how much we donate.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Great idea

Fantastic idea, and standing by for the outcome.
    Would echo the feeling on which charity to choose.
    This year saw myself and my partner raise funds for a charity for the first time in earnest.
    It followed the death of a close friend, and went to support a bursary scheme in her name.
    I would be happier supporting smaller charities, where our contributions can be really seen.
    Leave the option for monthly dontions open, as this would be my preferred choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Archie42 View Post
    Hello All,
    ArchieLuxury graciously accepts all donations......

He is a cool guy......

It costs a bomb to run the channel and make lots of videos..... Archie is now saving up for a better camera - Nikon D800E ..... but they are so $$$$$$

Please let me know if you want me to talk to Archie.... he is also happy to do requests with all donations received.

Kind regards

ARCHIELUXURY
    I have a request for you...

Hello All,

He is a cool guy......

It costs a bomb to run the channel and make lots of videos..... Archie is now saving up for a better camera - Nikon D800E ..... but they are so $$$$$$

Please let me know if you want me to talk to Archie.... he is also happy to do requests with all donations received.

Kind regards

ARCHIELUXURY
    How do I know my donations wont be spent on pies? (your pics speak for themselves)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I give enough every month to my favourite charities but I'm sure I could find some stuff from the cupboard of delights that could be sold in the future with the buyers sending the money straight to Eddie's charitable fund.
    Same here I have a few tools and watches I would let go for charity lets get it going why not turn the zeno forum into a charity sales donation page its not used much anymore.
    paul.

Master
    Hello All,

He is a cool guy......

Kind regards

ARCHIELUXURY
    Why dont you do what mommy says and go to bed.
    paul.

Count me in. I'm happy with any of the suggested charities (barring the one for fat, camp Australian handbag collectors of course)

According to this moneysavingexpert page, virgin money giving gives the best mix between low fees and a good selection of charities, so another vote for that one I guess.

I'd be happy for donations to go to small local charities - I'm sure that between us, we already donate plenty to the major national charities.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's not often i feel inclined to follow the herd but on this occasion i'd be happy to pledge £20 regardless. (I like collecting any £2.00 coins in my change for other reasons).

I've spoken with Virgin Giving and here's how it works.

Create an account and select up to 5 charities as beneficiaries.
    Only charities registered with them can be selected.
    You can enter the percentage of funds each charity will receive.
    Once selected, you can't change the charities although you can close the page and set up another page with different charities.
    Funds are distributed each week.
    UK contributors can tick the box for a Gift Aid qualifying payment, overseas contributors should not check the box.
    Overseas contributors should leave the postcode box blank (anything other than a UK postcode won't go through).
    Payment by credit & debit card or PayPal.

All we need to do now is select 5 charities (let the fighting begin ;-) ).

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

yeah im in for £20 quid leave you guys to decide who ti give it to

eddie gives us this forum to use for free

least i could do ,

ps..... eddie when can i order me dread gmt :)

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Once selected, you can't change the charities although you can close the page and set up another page with different charities.
    UK contributors can tick the box for a Gift Aid qualifying payment, overseas contributors should not check the box.
    Overseas contributors should leave the postcode box blank (anything other than a UK postcode won't go through).

Eddie
    I wish to nominate ABC Animal Sanctuary http://www.abcanimalsanctuary.co.uk (but will have to check if it's registered with Virgin)

Are you planning to make a list of all nominated charities Eddie and then have a poll?

dunk

EDIT ... unfortunately doesn't appear on their list :(

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 3rd January 2013 at 15:17.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Eddie
    That's great. I really don't mind a rotation of worthwhile causes. I accept that some charities will always be off the list for some people for good and/or personal reasons but I think that is inevitable. In my provisional list I tried to represent a broad range of UK charities helping people (rather than animals) and I think that is a principal I'd like to stick to. I also accept that there are many, many smaller local charities who are in great need of funds and for whom our combined donations could make a significant difference. I'd happily donate to, for example, local hospices.
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    I wish to nominate ABC Animal Sanctuary http://www.abcanimalsanctuary.co.uk (but will have to check if it's registered with Virgin)

Are you planning to make a list of all nominated charities Eddie and then have a poll?

dunk

EDIT ... unfortunately doesn't appear on their list :(

dunk
    It isn't on the list Dunk but I've emailed them and explained what we're doing.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fund...egories.action

Mine, in order of preference, would be the NSPCC, Wales Air Ambulance* and the Royal British Legion.

*There doesn't seem to be an umbrella group allowing you to contribute to all the regional Air Ambulance charities..?

My nomination:

Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF)

Reg No. 1026588
    Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an independent international humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency medical aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural and man-made disasters or exclusion from health care in more than 60 countries. Every year MSF sends around 3,000 doctors, nurses, logisticians, water-and-sanitation experts, administrators and other professionals to work alongside over 25,000 locally hired staff. Together they run medical projects in more than 60 countries around the world. In emergencies and their aftermath, MSF provides essential healthcare, rehabilitates and runs hospitals and clinics, performs surgery, tackles epidemics, carries out vaccination campaigns, operates feeding centres for malnourished children and offers psychological support. When needed, MSF also constructs wells and dispenses clean drinking water and distributes materials like blankets, plastic sheeting and other basic necessities. Through longer-term programmes, MSF treats patients with infectious diseases such as tuberculosis, sleeping sickness and HIV/AIDS and provides medical and psychological care to marginalised groups such as street children. MSF was founded in 1971 as the first non-governmental organisation to provide both emergency medical assistance and bear witness publicly to the plight of the people it assists. MSF is an international network with branches in 23 countries.

What about;

http://www.parkinsons.org.uk/support_us/donate.aspx (Im sure everyone would agree with this is a worthy cause) & they are on the site.

In no particular order, these would be my five:

British Heart Foundation
    Cancer Research UK
    Alzheimer's Research UK
    Great Ormond Street
    Macmillan Cancer Support

In addition to being national charities, the work being done by most of these is also relevant to overseas TZ members.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    As Gray said,there will be a variety of preferences as to which charity(s) to donate. My preferences would be the NSPCC,Hampshire Air Ambulance,Macmillan,Dreamflight plus selected small local charities. I personally prefer not to generally donate to animal charities and concentrate on human ones instead,but i fully understand that is not the view of all.

I'm in - I don't have much cash at the moment but plenty of things that can be put on SC for charity. I'd second the earlier motions to fund Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and prostate cancer relief/research. Good idea eddie :)

Hello All,

He is a cool guy......

Kind regards

ARCHIELUXURY
    Hey Paul, have had a look at your videos quite funny! Good luck with the fund raising!!

Eddie
    Great to know that it is also open for overseas contributors. I'm in.

Journeyman
    As far as I am aware every penny donated goes to the charity itself if using BT my donate.
    http://www.btplc.com/mydonate/

Craftsman
    I'm in, this is a great idea.

DS

Great idea; I'm in! I'd like to propose adding the George Daniels' Educational Trust.

Re: Let's raise some money for charity

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Great idea; I'm in! I'd like to propose adding the George Daniels' Educational Trust.
    Ohhh... didnt know there was one!

It will be a gratifying way to register appreciation for TZ-UK.

I hope that the account will include the facility for a monthly payment, however small - much easier and more effective than trying to remember to do one-offs.

I propose Christian Aid - one of the great relief agencies, active in practical ways in many suffering communities in the poorest parts of the world.

Eddie
    That'll be a lot of wasted bandwidth...

Your idea

Your forum

You choose

Simple.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Eddie, may I suggest you consider this charity that helps disabled kids. It's a small charity set up by a truly inspirational woman who wanted to offer the same help she'd got for her children to others.
    Being small, they're always struggling to raise funding but there aren't massive overheads and admin, so the money they receive really does go to make a massive difference to people's lives.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

Your idea

Your forum

You choose

Simple.

R
    No it won't.
    Eddie's idea...Eddie's Forum...Our money.
    People will only donate to charities they 'like' so there is a better chance of maximum participation if there is a degree of selection.
    ....suggested charities could be listed for Eddie to pick from?

I would think some of the very small charitable organisations could do far more with the money than some of the huge ones with their levels of highly paid executives but I doubt they are on Virgins list.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I would think some of the very small charitable organisations could do far more with the money than some of the huge ones with their levels of highly paid executives but I doubt they are on Virgins list.
    Yes perhaps, but if we decide to support them and they wish to join vmgiving it's a one off charge to set them up - they'll be able to decide if it's worth it

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/givi...er-charity.jsp

I am in, personally think it would be nice for the choice to democratic, but sure it will end up with the usual list, as with the amount of people they will be the most popular. Local ones will be tricky as they won't be local to us all.

Casting vote for Eddie but happy to contribute as love this place :-) plus always happy to contribute

Master
    Been busy so not been on here much lately, but what a great idea count me in.
    My suggestions would be:

Crisis - I have been volunteering with them over the festive period.
    Macmillan - who were great when helping my grandad
    Force cancer charity - Again did a lot for my grandad but Devon based.
    Help for heros
    Julias house and jacks place or Naomis house both localish childrens hospices.
    RNLI

But then like me I'm sure most people will have there own preferences so finding just 5 is going to be tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

Your idea

Your forum

You choose

Simple.

R

Agreed - however hopefully one will be for Children and one will be for people who have served this country.

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I hope you're all saving your change, it won't be long now.

Eddie

I'll be more than happy to donate £20. Having just got over Xmas and seeing the obscene amounts spent on kids (5 year olds with iPads)!! I have decided next Xmas not to buy presents but donate a few hundred to charity for people who really need it. Made me quite angry all this greed.

Rod

Eddie
    I've got £15 in pound coins already - will be up to £20-£25 by next week, ready and waiting.
    It's just a matter of time...

ive posted this link before, but there is some excellent material on how to assess effectiveness of charitable donations here http://www.givingwhatwecan.org/where-to-give
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I'll be more than happy to donate £20. Having just got over Xmas and seeing the obscene amounts spent on kids (5 year olds with iPads)!! I have decided next Xmas not to buy presents but donate a few hundred to charity for people who really need it. Made me quite angry all this greed.

Rod
    Good on you.

Its Churchill thats says; "you make a living by what you make , you make a life by what you give"

As well a thank you for using tz uk by making a donation to charity, we should donate for the sake of helping those that have been unfortunate.Lots of us have watch collections that are worth well you know... so hopefully we are all affluent enough to give generously.

Eddie
    Are we having a setup and agreed cause already? £££ waiting! (or is that GBPGBPGBP waiting?)

What happened to the charity fund raising?

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    What happened to the charity fund raising?
    A little patience please.

Eddie

I'd agree with supporting smaller charities rather than the larger ones as the well known names tend to receive a huge amount of donations and funding, a fair amount of which gets wasted or spent on items the general public would not be pleased to have their money spent on.

If I may, I'd like to nominate S.A.R.A.I D - Search and Rescue Assistance in Disasters, the Search and Rescue team that I am a member of.

The team is a small , independent charity, receives no government or lottery funding and has no paid staff, premisis etc.

As well as training for /attending disasters, the team members are also the ones responsible for raising the funds necessary for the team to do their work.

All money donated goes directly to training, equipping team members (who also purchaes a lot of their kit / equipment out of their own pockets) and to paying for the team deployments to assist in overseas disasters.

More details of the team and the work do can be found here

www.saraid.org.uk

We are registered with Virgin so no problems there
    Last edited by Kris; 13th January 2013 at 12:08.

It's up and running now, please be generous :-)

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/TZ-UK

Eddie

Donated, well done Eddie for getting this off the ground.

Done.

Wholeheartedly support this initiative.

Martin.