closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Let's raise some money for charity - UPDATE PAGE 6

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    I don't want to come over as a kill joy, but as someone who works for several charities. There is a great in balance on some charities standing.
    Guide Dogs for the Blind have millions in the bank, they employ very few blind people, I have several blind friends who are very anti this organisation. They have been investigated on several occasions as to miss use of funds. They own masses of property much of it on the Isle of Man.

Many years ago I fund raised for Macmillan, because they cared for my cousins wife who passed away from the dreadful disease. I raised £3,500 by a sponsored swim (I swam 3 miles... not bad with one leg). The treatment I received from the organisation was appalling, I won't go into details on here, but I vowed never to raise funds for them again. My wife had a similar ordeal with SCOPE.

Raising funds for Charities is great, I do it all the time I'm a trustee of two. But be very careful of who you are raising money for and how the funds are intended to be used. I will participate if the right organisations are chosen.

Amongst the Army benevolent charities Help for Heroes have been receiving some very bad press. BLESMA do not like attending events that they are in attendance at, the Legion have the same feelings. Anyhow I've said enough just be careful.
    I agree that charities need choosing very carefully; there are some charities that I would not wish to donate to - especially those known to be very buoyant with funds. I'm already a volunteer worker with a major charity and for this reason would not wish to give them more of my resources - I'd prefer to donate to another good charitable cause. Rather than make a list of favourite charities it might be best just to leave the beneficiaries to Eddie - thus avoiding squabbling amongst ourselves. And it might be best to donate to them one charity at a time - with each 'collection' being active/live for one month at a time. Then after 12 months, 12 charities would have benefitted. There will aways be 'disasters' occuring in the world for which some members would wish to make donations and thus suggest we make exceptions - but maybe we need to draw up strict guidelines and only collect for those charities within eg the 12 month plan list. If we try and assist too many charities they could end up receiving negligible amounts. And we need a system whereby we can monitor exactly how much we donate.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Great idea

Fantastic idea, and standing by for the outcome.
    Would echo the feeling on which charity to choose.
    This year saw myself and my partner raise funds for a charity for the first time in earnest.
    It followed the death of a close friend, and went to support a bursary scheme in her name.
    I would be happier supporting smaller charities, where our contributions can be really seen.
    Leave the option for monthly dontions open, as this would be my preferred choice.