closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Classic Car and Bike Auction

Classic Car and Bike Auction

In case anyone fancies a new (old) mode of transport, there is a rather motley mix of things to tickle your fancy on here!
    Bidding ends this evening (Thursday 5th).

https://www.brightwellslive.com/time...ons/index/5052

Thanks for the link - a few things in there that interest me and are way below the estimates, be interesting to see what they end up going for. Never heard of Goliath before...

Regards

Jon.

Master
    There's an eclectic range of vehicles there. the motorcycles are attracting healthy bids. I quite fancy the 3 box of bits MZ's for £60 great project for the dark winter evenings. Thanks for posting.

Steve

That Lotus Cortina will go for considerable more than the current bid.

Some interesting cars, but the stand outs are the Lotus and SS Jag (IMHO).

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post

Some interesting cars, but the stand outs are the Lotus and SS Jag (IMHO).
    My father ran one of them and by the standards of the day it was dynamite. He part exchanged it for an Austin 1800.

Some interesting things there, it'll be interesting to see what some of them go for.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Brightwells auction all sorts of random things, but are disposal auctioneers for the military, police, environment agency, local authorities etc, so they have everything from Wolf Land Rovers, to bin carts, to buses, to armoured personnel carriers, as well as the usual cars, diggers, plant, machinery etc.

They attract a lot of exporter/overseas buyers, so I suspect the prices may be strong in relation to the guide prices.

Still nice to window shop though....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    But it seems to be a total Triggers broom of a car. It's unclear if it's the original body (that got severely damaged in a race) or the original engine. Even the original VIN plate is supplied in a plastic bag rather than be attached to the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    But it seems to be a total Triggers broom of a car. It's unclear if it's the original body (that got severely damaged in a race) or the original engine. Even the original VIN plate is supplied in a plastic bag rather than be attached to the car.
    A lot of historic racers are “Trigger Broom” cars. Body parts can be replaced providing its like for like (the Lotus Cortina bonnet and boot lids were Aluminium, so have to be right). Engines of course get replaced.

My understanding of VIN plates are that if they are removed (rust/repaint) then the work must be documented and the VIN replaced. Fresh rivets on an old VIN plate would raise all sorts of red flags to me.

But even a total rebuild is not a car killer. A Ferrari 250GTO was sold for over £20m which was repaired after the driver was killed in it.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Some interesting cars and bikes there, and some went for reasonable prices.

Interesting to see a Wolseley 4/44 which is one of my earliest memories of a particular car as my father had one.

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

That Heron Europa looks like some really nice fun motoring for the money, and the idea of dragging along that little Bantam whilst on a camping trip in the Land Rover Dormobile is very appealing.
    Dave

PS if the Harley custom sold at that price, someone took a bath there

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    PS if the Harley custom sold at that price, someone took a bath there
    That Harley custom is a piece of art!

The "collectable/investor" end of the car market might take a post-COVID hit, and the demise of JD Classics and Coys of Kensington will take some hot air out of prices. Unless there are enough "investors" with money to put into some fairly mediocre machinery in the belief that nostalgia will provide a nice little earner for them.

I read recently that the FIA will no longer produce authentication documents for historic racing cars, which might leave an opening for the less scrupulous, and create even more "Goodwood Specials", which are capable of setting lap times which the original owners and drivers could not have dreamed of. A race win at the Revival will give a car some provenance, and a handy boost in value, a temptation that some will find hard to resist.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.