closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Drinking and driving

Drinking and driving

Please don't.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Gulp.

I was 'first-on-scene' at a fatality in the early hours of the morning a few years ago: sole male occupant of a car had lost it on a bend and hit a tree. Nothing I could do for the guy, just wait with him for the police to arrive...

Unpleasant as that experience was, it was actually far worse to subsequently meet his widow and their two children when I attended the Coroner's Court.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Gulp.

I was 'first-on-scene' at a fatality in the early hours of the morning a few years ago: sole male occupant of a car had lost it on a bend and hit a tree. Nothing I could do for the guy, just wait with him for the police to arrive...

Unpleasant as that experience was, it was actually far worse to subsequently meet his widow and their two children when I attended the Coroner's Court.

R
    I was actually first one the scene yesterday morning at 8. Totally crashed american pick up in the middle of the road just outside my workplace. I stopped and called Police and then looked inside. No driver .......... well police and ambulance and fire brigade arrived. I was dismissed and soon after I read in local paper online the police was hunting for the driver with their track dogs. Caught him 2 hours later, most likely drunk, hangover or drugs involved. Glad I arrived after he had lost control.

Blog Entries
    Christ on a bike, thats shocking.

Shame it would never get remade over here - the idiots that Drink Drive need to have this sort of real life drama shoved in their face.

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.
    Have always felt this type of thing should be drummed into learner drivers and made part of the driving test, older drivers should be made to go on a course as part of their driving licence renewal.

No excuses whatsoever when you get caught you get what you deserve even if it includes a prison sentence.
    Last edited by the big fella; 28th December 2012 at 14:11.

Quote Originally Posted by the big fella View Post
    Have always felt this type of thing should be drummed into learner drivers and made part of the driving test, older drivers should be made to go on a course as part of their driving licence renewal.

No excuses whatsoever when you get caught you get what you deserve even if it includes a prison sentence.
    Totally agree.
    With the theory tests now there isn't any reason to emphasise the issues surrounding drink driving.

Master
    Good evocative filmwork which says it all really.

Good post, thanks.

B

Master

Drinking and driving

Quote Originally Posted by even neve View Post
    I was actually first one the scene yesterday morning at 8. Totally crashed american pick up in the middle of the road just outside my workplace. I stopped and called Police and then looked inside. No driver .......... well police and ambulance and fire brigade arrived. I was dismissed and soon after I read in local paper online the police was hunting for the driver with their track dogs. Caught him 2 hours later, most likely drunk, hangover or drugs involved. Glad I arrived after he had lost control.
    It's real shame to think that the chances of the driver being charged and/or convicted of a drink driving offence are slim to none, assuming there wasn't any evidence of other offences the best you might be looking at is failing to report an accident etc.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    You have been warned !! Look what can happen !!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thattallchap View Post
    Christ on a bike, thats shocking.

Shame it would never get remade over here - the idiots that Drink Drive need to have this sort of real life drama shoved in their face.
    Of the two (Brit community) x-mas diners I attended the rule was drink&drive. Some were so plastered that they could barely walk yet got into their car(s).
    The sober driver is the exception of say 10%
    The only place where they have alcohol checks is a specific crossroads leaving one side of the village and it seems that in the absence of that deterrant´Yes, yes, but it is only local, just down the road´ is a valid reason.

Journeyman
    That is one powerful film that I will certainly be letting my kids (+18) see.

I have currently a good friend who is doing a substantial custodial sentence for killing someone while drink driving. Having visited him in prison I will no longer be drinking and driving - even the "just one doesn't harm anyone"!

Thanks for sharing that.

Pretty powerful stuff !
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Craftsman
    Lots of pub car parks are full of cars . Are the drivers all drinking non alcoholic drinks or less than two pints ?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    Lots of pub car parks are full of cars . Are the drivers all drinking non alcoholic drinks or less than two pints ?
    We often take it in turns to drive, its still good to have a night out without drink occasionally and you can always leave the car there and taxi home. I dont see the point of 2 pints its all or nothing really, if I have any booze I never drive as theres always a chance Ill have an accident thats not my fault but with drink in me there will always be doubt for all concerned
    RIAC

I have a simple rule which works for everyone. If I drink I don't drive; If I drive I don't drink. I've been breathalised 3 times and each time it was a zero reading. In case you're wondering, two of the tests were random Christmas tests and the other was when somebody ran into the back of me at red traffic lights (he was negative too).

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Oof..wince-inducing stuff. Powerful. Is this how Australia has been running its campaigns? Effective I'd say.

Even one drink slows your reactions down! Now why the hell would I want that? Is one drink worth it anyway? Is getting a cab that hard or expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by luckyhands View Post
    Even one drink slows your reactions down! Now why the hell would I want that? Is one drink worth it anyway? Is getting a cab that hard or expensive?
    It is out here in the country! BTW i dont drink and drive!

I'll drive to the pub and have a few pints. Then SWMBO drives me home (she never drinks a drop of alcohol if she's going to get behind the wheel).

We live miles from pubs, restaurants, etc, taxi's are very hard to get (and expensive) but if we both going to have a drink then that's what we'll use.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Boys are on the streets of west/central London are in force (pun intended) so if anyone is thinking to take their chances, I'll say not a good idea.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    I live right in the centre of the city, so it's not really an issue to me. However, my kids live here with me, right in the centre of the city. The kind of driving I see makes me think twice every time I let them go out...

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I have a simple rule which works for everyone. If I drink I don't drive; If I drive I don't drink..

Eddie
    What he said^^^^^^^

This should be law. Zero tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by kibrisjason View Post
    It is out here in the country! BTW i dont drink and drive!
    Haha. Point taken! I do remember my £45 cab rides back to my friends country house to be fair!

I have had 30 years of dealing with the fall out and misery of those that do and those that are victims of those that do - pretty tragic TBH

I don't and fortunately SWMBO does not drink so it's not an issue on a night out.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    What he said^^^^^^^

This should be law. Zero tolerance.
    I agree, "the morning after" is the main problem I can see with it though

I shudder to think of the potential consequences of some of the things I used to get up to when I was younger ! I was lucky. I got away with it and no one else suffered from my actions. At the time of course I was carefree and didn't give monkeys. What a twat.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I'll drive to the pub and have a few pints. Then SWMBO drives me home (she never drinks a drop of alcohol if she's going to get behind the wheel).

We live miles from pubs, restaurants, etc, taxi's are very hard to get (and expensive) but if we both going to have a drink then that's what we'll use.

R

Exactly the same here.SWMBO is always up to drive to work at 5.00am so has a zero alcohol level.If that fails I have called for your taxi Ralphy

regards
    T

Master

Re: Drinking and driving

I know an old ex RAF type who quotes their old mantra of " 8 hours from bottle to throttle "

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Mcr View Post
    I know an old ex RAF type who quotes their old mantra of " 8 hours from bottle to throttle "
    I know from many a mess dinner that 8 hours is nowhere near enough time! It might work for a single beer or glass of wine, but if you are NATO issue drunk then you need a good few days before operating heavy machinery...

I agree the limit should be Zero mg and that the Police should be able to randomly breathalise drivers - I don't mind people killing themselves, but my friends and family have to use the roads as well.

It takes one hour per unit from when you have your last drink, you'd be surprised how many ppl drive to work still over the limit

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    It takes one hour per unit from when you have your last drink, you'd be surprised how many ppl drive to work still over the limit
    Equally uprising is the number of people who don't know this sort of thing... or how many units they consume.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    I know from many a mess dinner that 8 hours is nowhere near enough time! It might work for a single beer or glass of wine, but if you are NATO issue drunk then you need a good few days before operating heavy machinery...

I agree the limit should be Zero mg and that the Police should be able to randomly breathalise drivers - I don't mind people killing themselves, but my friends and family have to use the roads as well.
    Many cases came in front of the Courts (esp. Christmas time) of drivers being caught over the limit on the day after a 'few drinks'. :-(

R

Drinking and driving

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    I shudder to think of the potential consequences of some of the things I used to get up to when I was younger ! I was lucky. I got away with it and no one else suffered from my actions. At the time of course I was carefree and didn't give monkeys. What a twat.
    +1. Thankfully I survived to be an older and wiser man too.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Of the two (Brit community) x-mas diners I attended the rule was drink&drive. Some were so plastered that they could barely walk yet got into their car(s).
    The sober driver is the exception of say 10%
    The only place where they have alcohol checks is a specific crossroads leaving one side of the village and it seems that in the absence of that deterrant´Yes, yes, but it is only local, just down the road´ is a valid reason.
    My in-laws live in Mollina, there's an ex pat there who is notorious for doing a crawl (pretty much every night) and using his car to get around, yet the police do nothing however, on leaving the feria in a neighbouring village this summer the cops pulled every single car and breathalized the driver.

I never drink and drive!

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    I've alwAys wondered about the accuracy of this ^^^^^^

At an Xmas party last year (starting at 5pm and running until 1am) I consumed (dont remember entirely but corresponds to the amount of pubs we visited) 16 pints of lager, mostly Carlsberg (not excessive at 3.8%) and a couple of waters/cokes during. Sounds excessive but its only 2 pints an hour........

Anyway Working on 2 units per pint, that's 32 units which means in theory no driving for 32 hours....

Whilst I did not drive the following day anyway ( I never drive nowadays the day after a binge) years ago I would have done. Most of the people who were out with me were in there cars by lunchtime the day after..... Some had drunk more than I had!

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    I've alwAys wondered about the accuracy of this ^^^^^^

At an Xmas party last year (starting at 5pm and running until 1am) I consumed (dont remember entirely but corresponds to the amount of pubs we visited) 16 pints of lager, mostly Carlsberg (not excessive at 3.8%) and a couple of waters/cokes during. Sounds excessive but its only 2 pints an hour........

Anyway Working on 2 units per pint, that's 32 units which means in theory no driving for 32 hours....

Whilst I did not drive the following day anyway ( I never drive nowadays the day after a binge) years ago I would have done. Most of the people who were out with me were in there cars by lunchtime the day after..... Some had drunk more than I had!
    It's only a rough guide but going on what you said you drank I would guess you'd have still been over the limit, personally I wouldn't drive the next day after that amount but at the same time I couldn't consume that much in one day lol I am a lightweight

Journeyman
    correct..............

They should be showing this film over here, maybe some of the invincible young drivers might take notice