closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EXP II 42mm

Master
    Blog Entries

EXP II 42mm

A bit of a repeat here in part i know, but i spent some time earlier today studying in close detail the black and white dial versions of this watch.

Conclusion? the white dial is so much nicer imo, certainly for my wants and needs. I was surprised to see the hand sets are actually different, in that the white dial has all black hour and minute hands, the orange hand too is painted full length. The black dial model has in comparison the strange white gold borders but with black painted ends added at the pin end. The lumed sections are measurably longer on the white dial mode, in itself i'm not bothered by lume but it did make the hand set look better balanced and nicer for it, imo again of course.

So, having rather abused one of the High St multiples facilities, my regular (non local) dealer was called and a white dial model has been ordered at an attractive price. The only bu££er now is waiting for Rolex to re-open for business to check availability.

I was also informed in passing conversation that 'jo public' can't just drop into the West Malling facility at all, unlike at Bexley when i used to visit? All walk-in repairs are only via the St James facility now, is that true?

I hadn't noticed the differences in the hands.

I like the white one because of the simplicity of it, has elements of Mondrian going on. I just know I wouldn't wear it anywhere as much as I would the black dial one, even though I like it more. Yeah, it makes sense to me. I think. If it was a £250 watch it wouldn't be an issue but at £5,500 I just don't have the option of buying both! Anyway, good choice.
    "A man of little significance"

i'd noticed...

when i went to look at both a few months ago. I'd also worn my two Exp2's one on each wrist [nutter yes i know] so i could compare like for like... Did'nt buy either of the new models.
    I actually prefer the black dial in 42mm i think but the hands bother me..

.. however if they get changed soon-ish then the 'short hand 42mm explorer' might be the next 'early dial LV type' collectable Rolex.

I too hadn't noticed the difference in hands so thank you for that.

I find the white-dialed one a little too bold with the black around the markers and on the hands. As a result, it being quite a big watch, it loses some of the subtlety of its predecessor which had a rep as a 'stealth' Rolex.

I love the black one though - the 'floating' orange hand, the smoky matt browny black of the dial and the orange accents against the dark background. Great watch.

Craftsman
    I've developed an unhealthy obsession with the white face one. Currently undergoing the process of obtaining a signet group discount card, to give me 10% off RRP. Does anyone know whether I can also get 0% APR, WITH a 10% shareholder discount, or is it one or the other?

Quote Originally Posted by amii21 View Post
    I've developed an unhealthy obsession with the white face one. Currently undergoing the process of obtaining a signet group discount card, to give me 10% off RRP. Does anyone know whether I can also get 0% APR, WITH a 10% shareholder discount, or is it one or the other?
    They should do both no question....

I would wait a month.. most EJ are clearing Rolex out at end of Jan. You might even push that 10% up a bit if you know your local manager well.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post

I would wait a month.. most EJ are clearing Rolex out at end of Jan. You might even push that 10% up a bit if you know your local manager well.
    Do you mean EJ will stop selling Rolex come end of Jan??

Master
    Blog Entries
    I suppose in the eyes of many if not most, the black dial is the more predicable and obvious choice simply because it is black. The white i think is more stylish, less blingy for not having the white gold surrounds on the hands and plots and for me anyway it will be a 'small', smart, shirt cuff friendly watch which i've been wanting for a while now. After several disappointments recently i'm pretty pleased with my decision now it's made.

In searching out images i also found this old/new white/black comparison. Hardly new news i'm sure, but i'd not seen it presented in this way previously.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ichaice View Post
    Good to see you trying another brand Baz and you've chosen a good model. I don't think you could have gone wrong with either colour.

Well it's more of a return to Rolex really. I sold off what i had when ageing vision brought unwelcome compromises. I tried an IWC Pilot (3717iirc) which had nice visible hands, but the sub-dials still made life awkward, though much better than my Daytona was in comparison.

Then Panerai entered my world and the rest is history as the saying goes. I don't though like the direction Panerai seem to be going from last year, with names and numbers engraved everywhere. I sold off a number of them and thought it time to look outside of the proverbial box. The Exp II is big enough, different enough and the only Rolex that ticks enough boxes and that i genuinely like, so i now have to wait, which i'm not very good at!

EXP II 42mm

Quote Originally Posted by amii21 View Post
    Do you mean EJ will stop selling Rolex come end of Jan??
    Yes. Lost its AD status.. So don't wait too long to use that card!

Journeyman
    Great choice!

Master
    I bought the white dialled EXPII 42mm to replace a white dialled Daytona which I never bonded with. I like the black dialled EXPII 42mm just as much as the white but really wanted a white dialled watch to compliment my GMTIIc and LVc. I don't think you will be disappointed with either but if legibility is high on your priority list then the white dial is without question the most readable dial I have come across.

Unless the change at kings hill is recent then it sounds like bull.
    I have been there 5/6 times - had 4 services booked in there - (and with my kids). They have a service booth on the left on the way in.. They are only 30 mins from me so perfect if i need anything looked at or picked up..

Cheers

matt

Craftsman
    Always rated these as a better / more unusual choice than going for a Black / Black sub, especially in white.

Great entry price into the Rolex world too

Quote Originally Posted by Reapercushions View Post
    Always rated these as a better / more unusual choice than going for a Black / Black sub, especially in white.

Great entry price into the Rolex world too
    I'm not sure the £5500 is a good entry price? Maybe a used old model at £3K would be a better idea?

Craftsman
    I'm not sure the £5500 is a good entry price? Maybe a used old model at £3K would be a better idea?
    Well, it's al the cheaper end of the Sport model range, what's a black sub these days 8K?

The white dial is particularly lovely in the "real world" away from shop lighting, where it can look a bit much. The black dial is more subtle. Both are great. Good call!

Quote Originally Posted by Reapercushions View Post
    Well, it's al the cheaper end of the Sport model range, what's a black sub these days 8K?
    5k for the no-date version, around 5,700 for the date version.

It's not 2015 yet ;-)

I'm not a Rolex man, but that whitey looks fantastic in post #1, the best I've seen it looking. I too am a fan of white faced watches
    for legibility reasons & that picture makes it look fantastic.
    ______

​Jim.

Blog Entries
    Very much on my must have list.

EXP II 42mm

I prefer the black dial version - have had mine for almost a year now and every time I look at it I just get reassured that this watch is a keeper :-)

Would like to have the white dial version as well though :-)

Is that confirmed or 'speculation', thought it was mid 2013?

EXP II 42mm

My AD confirmed their store will clear end of jan

Grand Master
    White is dressier , black is sportier ....simple

Good watch regardless of colour, huge improvement on the earlier models
    RIAC

I opted for the white one too. Great watch, I'm sure you'll love it

Couldn't agree with you more Baz, the white dial looks far better and unique. Will be interested how well it competes with your Pammies.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Very much on my must have list.
    what....white, black, or both. (LOL)

Master
    Why do these not hold their value as well as other SS sport models, i.e. the sub and GMT?

I always preferred the white dial on both the Explorer II and on the Daytona, but I somehow ended up buying a black dial Daytona! Though in my defence, it was the subtlety of the creamy subdial rings that got me hooked!

I still think I prefer white dial on Explorer II, mainly because it looks "cleaner" IMHO. It is strange how these, GMT II and Sub Dates used to be around about the same RRP, yet the Explorer seems to depreciate more...

EXP II 42mm

I am still more for black dial, but recently I have seen the white one on black straps and that combo doesn't let me sleep! Though the black one looks stunning in reality, looking at pics on internet there is something what bothers me and I don't know what, maybe proportions:/ but If I am at AD display I can stand there and drool for hours and it looks ideal. Then trying it on, that 42mm case fits like a glove to my wrist, because 40mm subs always seemd to be too small on my wrist I think this watch is must have for me.

Here are some pics from AD

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356670983.057586.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356671043.911908.jpg

I'm going for a white faced one early next year. Like some of the other posters, I need something that is easily readable. Is there any other white faced non crono watch that I should look at ? What is the best I can expect to buy one for? Thanks

whereabouts are you in UK, near London?

My AD confirmed their store will clear end of jan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    what....white, black, or both. (LOL)
    Black to start with but judging by the pics and the small amount of time I've handled them, the white might not be far behind!

Guys you have got to try this watch on. It is so comfortable. I have a DSSD and a ploprof and this is just so nice to wear compared to those big lumps. So glad I stuck a WTB up on this forum

Really like the white dial.

white

Had my white Exp II for just under a year now. It's a reassuringly big and chunky thing. Feels like it will take a lot of heavy wear without any problem.
    It's my first choice to take on holiday and has so far dealt with wet and muddy Lake District walks, and a summer holiday with usual daily suncream/sweat/pool chlorine combo and AFAIC still looks brand new.

It's significantly bigger than its predecessor and has much more wrist presence.
    (The older model is not inferior (other than the bracelet), just smaller).

I've never even considered the black version. It doesn't look bad in photos but for me the very reason for the Exp II is it's white face.

Nick

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    Why do these not hold their value as well as other SS sport models, i.e. the sub and GMT?
    Fair question and my dilemma is I fancy buying an Explorer 2 but I can easily see a nice complete Seadweller set being worth appreciably more than the Exp 2 in a few years time which has to be a consideration

Master
    I have owned both black and white and I must say the white is a beauty to behold. It is one of the most comfortable watches that you just don't realise is there on your wrist and the lume is beautiful.

EXP II 42mm

I'm so boring... I just can't do white dials. They just look odd to me. So yeah, the black one would be my choice.

Just reporting in - this thread has been directly responsible for me buying a new 42mm white dialled Explorer II. So I hope you're all proud of yourselves.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Oh that it were so easily obtained in the UK

Really? I thought that the days of shortages of sports Rolexes were a thing of the past. Daytona excepted, of course. What I couldn't get hy head around was the fact that the price here in Doha has recently, like in the last five days, come down byabout £350! I can't remember a Rolex price drop!

I've seen them quite freely available in windows of ADs in London.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scarto View Post
    I've seen them quite freely available in windows of ADs in London.

Ah but will they haggle? There is one just eight miles from me if i pay the full £5530 retail, which i wont! No other remotely local dealers have a white dial model. Every bugger has a black one though including my regular Panerai AD.

Ah, haggling. Yeah, no - no haggling here! It was the same place that I bought my Pelagos from, and they weren't interested.

In the interests of sharing etc., it cost me the Qatar list of QR27,700, which today is £4,705. That's pretty much £75 more that I'd pay buying it in the UK and claiming the VAT back (which I am eligible to to, thank you taxman), but I am impatient. I feel I did OK. It was new, straight from the safe, and I'm happy with the deal.

Master
    I have seen a few at various EJ. They are looking to sell them ASAP too. If they held their money as well as other SS sports models I'd buy one myself.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    Ah but will they haggle? There is one just eight miles from me if i pay the full £5530 retail, which i wont! No other remotely local dealers have a white dial model. Every bugger has a black one though including my regular Panerai AD.
    Sent you a PM.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Found one! at a dealers who will match my AD's price. Off there very shortly

Congratulations Walter!
    Have had mine for over a year now and I'm as fond of it today as when it arrived, wearing it right now actually (back on bracelet for the winter).

Stunning with the white face.