closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dehumidifiers - any experience or recommendations?

Dehumidifiers - any experience or recommendations?

With all this wet weather I've noticed that, even with double glazing, our windows have condensation on the inside, especially when it's cold. The houses humidity level is about 60% in the day time. So I'm looking to buy a dehumidifier, does anyone have any experience or recommendations?

I've borrowed a neighbours Ruby Dry, which gets very good reviews, so I'll see how that goes.

Cheers,
    Gary

I have the same problem in our house, which is about 15 years old. Really starting to annoy me, so I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread

Hi Gary, I own a basement flat (I prefer to call it the "Garden Flat" ) below my own home and it used to get quite a bit of condensation on the north elevation, especially during the winter. For the last 8 years I have had a De-Longhi DEM10 running 24/7 in there. You can set the level of humidity that you want and it will kick in when needed and shut off when not. You can either empty the water tank manually or fit the permanent drain to an outside wall. You can hear it running if you are in the same room, but it's not too intrusive. The tenants have never complained anyway! My original unit gave up the ghost about 4 months ago and I have replaced it with an identical model. Excellent value considering it only costs about £120. The DEM10 is supposed to be capable of controlling the humidity in a three bedroom property, but the property it's running in is just a one bedroom flat. The amount of water it sucks out of the atmosphere is astonoshing!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    With all this wet weather I've noticed that, even with double glazing, our windows have condensation on the inside, especially when it's cold. The houses humidity level is about 60% in the day time. So I'm looking to buy a dehumidifier, does anyone have any experience or recommendations?

I've borrowed a neighbours Ruby Dry, which gets very good reviews, so I'll see how that goes.

Cheers,
    Gary
    We have an indoor hot-tub, sauna and gymnasium in our basement. Although we have air circulation system in place, we also need to use a dehumidifier to take it down from 90% when using hot tub, to usual 60%.

We have a portable commercial unit with a decent size internal water tank - important if you don't have handy drainage. One of these:

Woods 28

http://www.dehumidifiersuk.com/p/113...umidifier.html

Highly recommended.

I've had condensation issues in a flat that I rent out.

While dehumidifiers lessen the problem, they don't get to the root cause of the issue.

I installed a positive input ventilation system (basically pushes dry air into the space from he loft, which forces damp air out of natural leak points).

It runs 24/7 and has an automatic temperature related cut off. Very cheap to run too.

It works (for me) a lot better than a dehumidifier - lots of info on the 'tinterweb.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My mother used to get loads of condensation and black moult on her window frames and walls, but we tackled it by firstly undercoating the walls with SBR then painting over and putting more SBR on top behind the radiator, and secondly by shortening the curtains which were down to the floor.

Stopped it all instantly!

What's SBR? I have sliding doors in my bedroom which lead onto a balcony. These have condensation and black mould on the seals.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's a rubber sealant that you use to mix into things like screeds, a bit like a tanking solution only thinner. You can get it from places like screwfix etc.

Never used these guys but this is the stuff and some info about it.

http://www.source4me.co.uk/store/Ren.../prod_255.html

It has the look and consistency of skimmed milk and you can just paint it onto a wall over or under paint. It goes on thin and runs so multiple coats is key. We scraped off what mould we could, MAKE SURE IT'S WET YOU DONT WANT MOULD DUST FLOATING AROUND. Then dry the wall and paint it on. It dries clear but looks a little shiny though you can paint over it. It will completely stop moisture from penetrating which is perfect for single skinned walls etc, and any condensation will run right off the SBR meaning it doesn't get held by the plaster and paint which is how the mould starts to form.

Thanks pete-r will give that a go this weekend.

Craftsman
    Sorry to intrude your thread but I'm looking after a dehumidifier as well. But one for my car ?! I can't find any reviews at all so I thought maybe I can get some help here. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kokolino23 View Post
    Sorry to intrude your thread but I'm looking after a dehumidifier as well. But one for my car ?! I can't find any reviews at all so I thought maybe I can get some help here. Thanks.
    Sounds like you need something like this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HOME-DEHUMID.../dp/B009M93THQ

If you have air con though using it in the winter is a great dehumidifier.

Cheers,
    Gary

Single glazed victorian house plus drying washing inside led me to invest in a Delonghi dehumidifier. Does the job a treat.

Thanks for all you suggestions and advice so far guys, much appreciated as always

Here's a quick update on the borrowed dehumidifier. It's been running on an 50% humidity auto setting for around 22 hours. The humidity level in the house was 61% but it's now 56%, after my wife and I used the shower this morning it increased to 58% but has now gone back down. There was no condensation on any of the windows this morning but it was a mild night, it'll be interesting to see if it makes a difference when it's cold outside.

Here's the unit

This was the startling bit. It has a 5 litre tank which it's pretty much filled in less than a day! The pen and camera case hopefully give a sense of scale.

Cheers,
    Gary

Craftsman
    Nice leica!

How much do these machines cost to run?

I've had a delonghi one for about 10+ years, it's big and noisy compared to modern ones, but does keep the condensation down and helps as we dry indoors as we do not have a tumble dryer.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

About 4p per hour at full chaff according to their site. Once the humidity level has been sufficiently reduced it goes into a slower (and quieter mode) to maintain that level.

Here's a link to Ruby Dry's FAQ page.
    http://www.ruby-dry-dehumidifiers.co.uk/faq_s.html

Cheers,
    Gary

5L in one day.

That's a lot of water to take out of the air!
    At least you know it's working haha.

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    I've had a delonghi one for about 10+ years, it's big and noisy compared to modern ones, but does keep the condensation down and helps as we dry indoors as we do not have a tumble dryer.
    Same re not having a tumble dryer. In the summer it's fine as washing goes on the line in the garden but in the winter it goes on an airer and/or radiators. Tomorrow I'm doing some laundry and moving the dehumidifier into the room with the airer. Apparently it reduced drying time significantly so I'm going to try it out.

My life is sooo rock 'n' roll, lol!

Cheers,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    Same re not having a tumble dryer. In the summer it's fine as washing goes on the line in the garden but in the winter it goes on an airer and/or radiators. Tomorrow I'm doing some laundry and moving the dehumidifier into the room with the airer. Apparently it reduced drying time significantly so I'm going to try it out.

My life is sooo rock 'n' roll, lol!

Cheers,
    Gary
    It does reduce drying time. And the pure water is great if you live in a hard water area for irons, or as it is ion free you can fill old car batteries to your hearts content.

They also keep the air moving so help in other ways aside from sucking water out the air.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Currently looking for one for the garage and found this one:-

http://www.dehumidifiersuk.com/p/120...umidifier.html

Not made a purchase yet........
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Apprentice
    You will get them cheap in the 2nd hand adds sites gumtree/craigslist etc
    I got a barely used dimplex one for our apartment 2 years ago for half the rrp and it hasn't skipped a beat

We have some black mould on double glazed windows - water droplets form on the base of the panes in the bedrooms during the night.

I think the windows are around 30 years old but they're in good condition. I was wondering whether it was possible to retro fit small vents in some way?

I've seen them in newer builds and I presume they help to alleviate this kind of problem but that's just a guess...

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    We have some black mould on double glazed windows - water droplets form on the base of the panes in the bedrooms during the night.

I think the windows are around 30 years old but they're in good condition. I was wondering whether it was possible to retro fit small vents in some way?

I've seen them in newer builds and I presume they help to alleviate this kind of problem but that's just a guess...
    There are retrofit kits available ,
    Some good info here on alternative methods : http://www.diynot.com/wiki/building:...tion_in_houses
    Last edited by Kevinf; 28th December 2012 at 23:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinf View Post
    There are retrofit kits available ,
    Some good info here on alternative methods : http://www.diynot.com/wiki/building:...tion_in_houses
    Ah, thanks. So they're called trickle vents. I'll do some research...