closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Military Service

Im in the army (16 years this month), never been issued with a watch. although i can go and sign for one if i want.

I have a few years under my belt* in the service.

Im not more into MIL watches than other watches.

I just like rugged watches, that dont easily quit on me.

I busted a manual chrono i Iraq, so brought a Marathon SAR as a primary and a Casio 5600 series as a back-up when on a tour in Afghanistan.

The SAR (Casio too of course - goes without saying) performed perfectly and Im well chuffed with it. It suffered not a small amount of abuse and extreme shifts in temperatures (50 celcius + during the day dropping to way too cold at night). Neither that nor blood, swear or dust (the latter which combined with the aforementioned sweat forms tough to defeat cakes of gunk in the nooks and creviches of a watch - yuck!).

Here the SAR, that I brought and below in the sandbox

* Riggers belt, as these are 'de rigeur' no matter your MOS.

Yes, was in the military.

No watches were issued, but my Seiko 4205, Casio & Timex all survived parachuting, lots of water, lots of everything.

Green on GO!

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout View Post

I lived with some AI guys for most of my time in Afghanistan, Warrior is probably my fave kit in theatre.

Military Service

Yep 86. Till 2011 had more than a number of G10 but I was in the supply chain at the end but I wore a seiko chrono from the day I joined, different watch but all from the same outlay thanks to insurance and theifing (not on my part) until I discovered watches in 2004 they way I know them now.

Long story short my grandmother left me some money ( bout £150) so I bought a sieko chrono for the start. That go stolen a few years later so I claimed and bought another, that one got stolen in 1999 so i claimed again and bought another so in my mind that same watch has been every where with me. So I I have to go to war again I will put it on. But I do t think I will ever wear it again. But I will never sell it!

Quote Originally Posted by chutley View Post
    So who's actually served on this forum then?

And if you have, what is the enduring attraction of military watches?
    Still serving. Royal Swedish Navy. Silet Service.
    I´ve always enjoyed things that are made to last, form without function is useless. Thats why I wouldent be caught dead wear a watch that dosent withstand a beating. Its nice to know that what ever Im wearing will keep running no mather what, because being able to tell time accuretly is a life saver.
    I wouldent say that Im realy all that in to military watches, I like divers. But that might have to do with the branch Ive choosen.

Craftsman
    Yep did 7 years Royal Artillery

Germany
    Belfast
    Canada
    Belize
    Portsmouth
    few other places

I served with another forum member on here Andy (Schuhren), small world

I was never into watches then, for work I wore an old watch on a boot lace round my neck
    Last edited by Neilo; 11th April 2013 at 10:23.

More words of wisdom from your friendly PTI or DS ..."pain is like a 'phone call, you do not have to answer". Nothing about watches though, except maybe advice as to where it should be worn in various situations!

Craftsman
    Current serving Royal Marine :)

Currently serving RAF. Only thing I'm proud of is flying the MERT guys in Helmand!

For the uninitiated... (A pretty powerful video)

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=hLVLy...?v=hLVLynrZqgs
    Last edited by CH47Driver; 15th June 2013 at 18:41. Reason: Initial article was a bit "girlie"

22 years in the RAF. I'll merely point out that without us it would just be a flying club. And I have zero interest in military watches...

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    22 years in the RAF. I'll merely point out that without us it would just be a flying club. And I have zero interest in military watches...
    You mean it's not just a flying club? Guess I've been doing it wrong then....

Grand Master
    22 years in the RAF and I have zero interest in military skills...
    Corrected that for you
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Corrected that for you
    Oooh, you bitch!

Served as a Pilot in the RAF 5 and a half years then 2 years RAF(VR)now get paid to sit on a seat fly a passenger plane and get fed meals oh and they pay Me for this!!!!Not really interested in military watches.

- - - Updated - - -

Served as a Pilot in the RAF 5 and a half years then 2 years RAF(VR)now get paid to sit on a seat fly a passenger plane and get fed meals oh and they pay Me for this!!!!Not really interested in military watches.

And I have zero interest in military skills...
    Corrected that for you
    After 22 years of Ops in hotels, that is also very true. :P

Cheers to all you TZ-UK members currently serving your countries in the military. I'm sure your citizens are grateful for the sacrifices you are making on their behalf.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I was. This was me in Vietnam in early 1967 wearing the 1966 Caravelle you see on the green NATO strap further below.

I've bought and sold many military watches, but my favorite - - and the one I wear quite frequently - - is this Vietnam-era military issue watch made 11 months before I entered U.S. Marine boot camp. Besides feeling great on the wrist, it keeps excellent time (as does my old Caravelle!) and has great wrist presence.

I recently purchased an Oct '65 Benrus and it is a super little watch.

What strap is that you have there

Ta
    Paul

Apprentice
    I served in the Army, with the Royal Marines & in the RAF. Issued with either Seiko or Pulsar chronos as I am aircrew. Kept both & sold them to help fund a Revue Thommen quartz chrono which imho is about the best aircrew watch there is.

I'm a great fan of form following function so mil watches just do it for me. Currently sporting either a Rolex GMT II (OK but no chrono & poor readability), a Seiko mil chrono (v good but sub dial hands can be confused for minute hand in a quick glance) or a Breitling Aerospace (realy readable but functions not so easy with gloves on). Would guess one of the best mil/aircrew watches is something like the IWC Flieger chrono. But who wants to go into combat with one of those? For fighting, Seiko any day.

Craftsman
    After 22 years of Ops in hotels, that is also very true. :P
    It's a lot nicer to check-in than dig-in.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by appleavi8or View Post
    I served in the Army, with the Royal Marines & in the RAF. Issued with either Seiko or Pulsar chronos as I am aircrew. Kept both & sold them to help fund a Revue Thommen quartz chrono which imho is about the best aircrew watch there is.

I'm a great fan of form following function so mil watches just do it for me. Currently sporting either a Rolex GMT II (OK but no chrono & poor readability), a Seiko mil chrono (v good but sub dial hands can be confused for minute hand in a quick glance) or a Breitling Aerospace (realy readable but functions not so easy with gloves on). Would guess one of the best mil/aircrew watches is something like the IWC Flieger chrono. But who wants to go into combat with one of those? For fighting, Seiko any day.
    Would have to second the comments on the Revue Thommen - a perennnial favourite of mine. I've just ordered another, brand new from the factory, it being rather hard to find them in dealers other than as NOS with faded lume. This will be my 5th, plus an auto version. Quick-set hour hand, centre minute chrono, highly legible, not too big, so that it doesn't get knocked around in the cockpit - what's not to like?

This was an earlier one:

Journeyman
    Eighteen and a bit years in Her Majesty's Royal Air Force as a talking rad alt/wire straightener. Love military style watches, and have had an ongoing project to find the perfect one! Currently favouring a Citizen Nighthawk in black but who knows what's next.....

Blog Entries
    Currently serving in the RAF, have a Breitling Emergency I've had since starting flying training and has seen 3 tours of Afghan, also just picked this up from stores and awaiting a new strap.

Master
    Very nice, is the dial on that different?
    I quite fancy a Pulsar chrono to go with my non-chrono.

Currently (and since 2008) in active service in the Royal Danish Air Force as a Military Legal Adviser (LEGAD). Have had 2 tours to Afghanistan with the Danish Army in 2010 (Danish Battlegroup, MOB Price) and 2012 (DNK MA SOF TF-7, MOB Lashkar Gah) and was the primary LEGAD to the Danish MTAA Team during the Libya Conflict in 2011 (OP Odessey Dawn & OP Unified Protector). MTAA = Military Target Approval Authority. Usually known as "Red Card Holder".

Before 2008 I served 8 years in the Danish Home Guard and in civilian life I was a Lawyer and Corporate Lawyer. But after 17 years of this I had had enough. Making the transition from civilian Lawyer to Military Legal Adviser has been the best decision in my life !!
    Last edited by pbr; 4th July 2013 at 23:01.

Apprentice
    Twenty umpty years done, now serving with CH47Driver and Yarders, also talking radalt and wire bender (I bend 'em, Yarders straightens 'em). Off to stores today to exchange my old mil watch for new chrono (if they have any that is). Stores are for storing, not for issueing!

Apprentice
    And my favourite watch is my Bvlgari Ergon.

Proper interesting thread! I'm off to look at military watches (again) !!

I have not, however my W10 Hamilton mine reminds me of a friend who did. t

Thirty eight and a half years in RAF, both checked in and dug in and there was no way my Seiko Gen 2 was going back to the blanket stackers.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Soot1e View Post
    Thirty eight and a half years in RAF, both checked in and dug in and there was no way my Seiko Gen 2 was going back to the blanket stackers.
    After 38 years in the RAF you must be a Corporal by now
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by ditchvisitor View Post
    Currently serving in the RAF, have a Breitling Emergency I've had since starting flying training and has seen 3 tours of Afghan, also just picked this up from stores and awaiting a new strap.
    I thought the Pulsars had been 'grounded' due to crown and stems coming detached in use?
    Maybe they have recently been reinstated?
    ( A Typhoon pilot gave me that info recently)
    Cheers..
    Jase

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I thought the Pulsars had been 'grounded' due to crown and stems coming detached in use?
    Maybe they have recently been reinstated?
    ( A Typhoon pilot gave me that info recently)
    That was the old styleeee this one has the guards!

Master

Only if he was a 'Snow Drop '.

Cpl by 5th year!!

22 years then had to get a real job. At my first interview after leaving, I needed them to explain the concept of working on a Friday afternoon They liked my sense of humour and I got the job!

6 years and a bit, including 2 tours in Afghan. Only things I miss are tea and toast in the Mess and being allowed to go to the gym on work's time.

As a sidenote, I have recruited ex-military and ex-footballers quite a few times against some rather strongly worded advice by my peers. There is something very positive about a fresh start, a second career that lets people develop very rapidly.

Personally I've only done about a year and a half, conscript system + refreshers for reserve officers, peaceful peacetime service. Liked it, too, just not compatible with my idea of professional life.

Great to see some ex and current RAF aircrew on here... I did 12 years on the Kipper Fleet and escaped in 99. I also managed to keep my issued G10 which still works perfectly, though I can't remember the last time I wore it (probably after the novelty wore off halfway through flying training).

6 years royal signals for me

Journeyman
    Currently serving Royal Signals here (16 years)

Craftsman
    9 years in the RAF as L Tech AR / Eng Tech AV. No idea what they are called now days. Was distraut to hear that JT rank was discontinued and my Nimrods (R1 - 51 Sqaudron) were decommisioned.

I wear an Orient Flyer.

RAF for 23 years, loved it, but never needed an issue watch, ie never anywhere dangerous! Never really got the appeal at the time, but now I understand the fascination with the stories associated with the exploits....

41 and a half years in the RAF, apprentice-fitter-flyer. Kipper fleet, V force, Instructor, Examiner, MOD.
    Great times, no regrets.
    Good wishes to all ex-RAF

Ex RAMC, 1992 to 2005;

Ulster (twice)

Bosnia (twice)

Cyprus

Germany

RAF Odiham

Plymouth

Gosport

Aldershot

Tidworth

Iraq

All in no particular order... I seem to recall using the ubiquitous cheap Casio digitals at first before I discovered decent dive watches, however I finished off my time using my issued 1989 CWC W10. The squadron deployed to Iraq again while I resettled so the SQMS had better things to do than worry about 1033s. Cheers easy H***h! :-)

Edited to add; I love military watches in a somewhat vain way. Aside from practicality and (I think) good looks, I use it as a sort of "secret club badge". Granted many people who haven't served wear them but it's always good to look out for them.
    Last edited by G10 for Men; 12th June 2014 at 21:33.

Apprentice
    Royal Navy 1980-2002, 16-years on Submarines (Diesel Boats), 6-on skimmers. Got my first CWC in 1990 for GW1, still have it and it still does what's written on the box - only had to change the battery twice. Got a Pulsar G10 (Long hands) in 2001, again no problems with time keeping.

Apprentice

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Liam1288 View Post
    Current serving Royal Marine :)
    What band Royal?

Here! Here!

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Cheers to all you TZ-UK members currently serving your countries in the military. I'm sure your citizens are grateful for the sacrifices you are making on their behalf.