closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another unusual incoming - Perrelet

Another unusual incoming - Perrelet

Tim – who already has a lot to answer for – got me looking at Perrelet a few months ago. I’d tried on a couple of his and was impressed with the quality but they’re also a watch house with a fair degree of history behind them.

Born in 1729, Abraham-Louis Perrelet was an innovative watchmaker, and it seems likely Abraham-Louis Breguet was trained in his workshops (they certainly knew each other, in addition to sharing a name) as well as his grandson, Louis-Frédéric Perrelet, inventor of the split second chronograph. Abraham-Louis’ most notable innovation was the first (arguably, in any event – although it was in 1770!) “perpetual” watch – a pocket watch that was wound by an oscillating weight driven by the movement of the body. There have been a couple or rebirths/rebrands in more recent history, but the signature double-rotor on modern designs is a testament and tribute to those very early years, and the remarkable vision demonstrated by the founder. When he died in 1826, Perrelet had devoted almost 80 years to developing watchmaking techniques.

This watch, which is rather lovely and a little bit different from the norm, measures 42x35mm (52mm lug to lug) and the tonneau case features another Perrelet trademark in the ribbed sides. The inner part of the dial is open to display a second rotor, the idea being that synchronization of the two upper and lower rotors provides the movement with a more efficient winding system than that of traditional movements. (This concept was actually patented by Perrelet.). A quick set date aperture is located at 6 o’clock and the crystal is sapphire. One thing that’s unarguable is that Perrelet push the boat out with regard to decoration of their movements, although I need to take a couple of shots when I have time to better reflect what I mean. I think that they’re based on ETA ebauches, but someone else (Tim) may be able to confirm that for me. In any event, they’re very, very pretty!

Anyway, this model lists at nearly $5k but I managed to pick it up on eBay for what I think is a silly price for such a well-made piece. Bea loves it, and it’s remarkably wearable in terms of being both dressy and casual. It arrived on a brown crocodile strap with a really good quality butterfly deployant, and I reckon it’ll see a fair bit of wrist time.

(NB: Sorry for the relatively Q&D photos, but I don't have a lot of time to spare today.)

As requested by Steve - a few less moody ones that show the watch in a little more detail...

Last edited by learningtofly; 19th December 2012 at 17:27.

Different. I like it Tony

That is gorgeous. Enjoy it

That's rather lovely Tony, no wonder you are skint! How many now?
    Enjoy..

Great catch, Tony! Yet another interesting looking and different watch from Perrelet - they really seem to do their own thing.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Love it. Perrelet deserve a lot more recognition for a range of watches,which bare their own unique DNA and are not ever even slightly derivative. Certainly a rarity these days.

Thanks all. By way of an update, Bea seems to have claimed this as her own

@ Tim: ETA ebauche?

@ Vince: 14, when that beautiful SM60 lands next week

Cheers Dunc. It is, but I have no time to play, sadly.

The second rotor on the dial looks beautifully done. Very unusual. I wonder if one front-only rotor would be sufficient, and thus permit the entire reverse side of the movement to be visible, unlike in all other automatics ? Thanks for posting.

( Shamefully poor photos by the way, dragging WT down as always )

Paul

I feel quite embarrassed

The rotor on the back is very open, Paul, so the movement's quite visible, in fact.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

@ Tim: ETA ebauche?

@ Vince: 14, when that beautiful SM60 lands next week
    They buy High grade 2892 kits. Soprod (Owned by the same group) modify, build and decorate them. The level of finish is up there with UN and IWC.

Not surprised Bea has claimed it Tony. My eldest daughter has a Perrelet and loves it

Last edited by java; 19th December 2012 at 14:39.

Master
    that is a gorgeous watch, where on earth do you find some of the beauties you have!!!???

Tony, that is quite special and better than the normal tat you buy!

Happy Christmas.

Thanks Tim - I'll check Nadia's wrist next time I see her!

Dave, you're a cheeky blighter

Looks great, Tony!

-flugzeit

She has a very hairy wrist
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    She has a very hairy wrist
    That's not her wrist...

Master
    That is nice!

And aren't you looking for a JLC Reverso as well in the Jan sales????

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    That is nice!

And aren't you looking for a JLC Reverso as well in the Jan sales????
    Yes, but that's to replace the RDM and a deal for the sale of that one is already in place - I just need to find the right Reverso, Andrzej.

That is a fabulous dial and I love the case detail.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Banned
    Nice one Tony.

Im a big fan of the brand and bought and flipped one of their Turbine models a few years ago and still hanker for one. Many on here would find them a little Ashton orientated, but they're far from it and non WIS love them.

They don't get a great showing on here and it seems it may stay that way unless you get a cab home from Gotham City and pop that beauty in your light tent.

Congrats, super pick up both for both man and wife

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Nice one Tony.

Im a big fan of the brand and bought and flipped one of their Turbine models a few years ago and still hanker for one. Many on here would find them a little Ashton orientated, but they're far from it and non WIS love them.

They don't get a great showing on here and it seems it may stay that way unless you get a cab home from Gotham City and pop that beauty in your light tent.

Congrats, super pick up both for both man and wife

Thanks Steve - I think this one really will be shared between the two of us (that's me and bea, not you and me!) and strangely it seems to suit both of us equally well. I didn't realise you'd owned a Turbine... have you got any photos?

Banned

Thanks Steve - I think this one really will be shared between the two of us (that's me and bea, not you and me!) and strangely it seems to suit both of us equally well. I didn't realise you'd owned a Turbine... have you got any photos?
    Photo's, are you taking the pee

I bought on release at RRP and sold to a friend who pestered at a little under RRP after about a year. That's one thing that differs in the WIS world - depreciation.

I mentioned the moodiness a little tongue in cheek, as these are often never seen in reality, so we are subjected to press photos in order to get an idea. I know the quality of these, so please chuck a few more pics up if you get the chance 'in the flesh' so to speak.

I bought on release at RRP and sold to a friend who pestered at a little under RRP after about a year. That's one thing that differs in the WIS world - depreciation.

I mentioned the moodiness a little tongue in cheek, as these are often never seen in reality, so we are subjected to press photos in order to get an idea. I know the quality of these, so please chuck a few more pics up if you get the chance 'in the flesh' so to speak.
    I will, Steve, as soon as I have some time.

Lovely pic and taste in watches as always. I had a very similar big date small seconds Perrelet for a while and found the fit and finish to be top notch. Wear it well.

Congratulations Tony.
    Although I confess the brand, like a phoenix reborn from the ashes, leaves me cold and their "rotor on the dial" I find gimicky - not to mention ugly.
    They are far too flash and a bit design for designs sake for me. Sounds like you grabbed a bargain though, certainly their resale price drops quicker than your shutter finger!
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Congratulations Tony.
    Although I confess the brand, like a phoenix reborn from the ashes, leaves me cold and their "rotor on the dial" I find gimicky - not to mention ugly.
    They are far too flash and a bit design for designs sake for me. Sounds like you grabbed a bargain though, certainly their resale price drops quicker than your shutter finger!
    Probably true in terms of resale, but the price I paid makes that academic (as does Bea's notion that it now belongs to her). It's nice to have something a bit different in the watch box, too.

I do take your point regarding the brand's "rebirth", but that could equally be applied to a number of well-known names. In reality, the other option is that they disappear entirely and in this case you have instead great build quality; beautifully finished high-grade movements; design cues taken from a genuinely important horological past; and prices that - if you don't get sucked in by list - enable all of this for not very much money. So, whilst not everyone will like the designs, I don't see anything wrong (again, in this case) with the brand being maintained.

Blog Entries
    Tim – who already has a lot to answer for – got me looking at Perrelet a few months ago.
    Lovely. This one is Tim's fault too

z

Quote Originally Posted by hsukirk View Post
    Interesting design and beautiful implementation. A classic tonneau shape dress watch. You have got dressy watch bug, Tony. I fully anticipate to see Reverso pix before New Year.

Her wrist looks fine to me.
    I think foxy was referring the LTF's initial photo's and the intimation that as Bea had claimed it the photo's were of it on her wrist.

Master
    Perrelet do some wonderful stuff and that looks fantastic - nicely done!

I will, Steve, as soon as I have some time.
    Here you go, Steve...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I think this one really will be shared between the two of us
    i give it until the 27th.. when youll be back complaining that bea has taken the perrelet but you plan on replacing it with..

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    i give it until the 27th.. when youll be back complaining that bea has taken the perrelet but you plan on replacing it with..
    Yeah, well...the Reverso's no secret

"Babe, can I wear it now?"

"Babe, can I wear it for work?"

I guess that's that, then

Can we all now refer to you as 'Babe'.

Ive been keeping an eye on Perrelet for a couple of years now - their ladies watches like the one above are beautiful.

I also really like the double rotor's and the turbine.

I've been after a turbine for a while now, but they rarely come up for sale in the UK. If anyone has one, I'd be interested!
    So clever my foot fell off.

Lovely as ever Tony. A brand I had given no thought to until I saw Tims postings.

Did you get stung for duty? Even if you did, at the price you paid it's still a phenomenal bargain.
    Last edited by Thewatchbloke; 19th December 2012 at 19:05.

Love the case on this one.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    i think we should.

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    i think we should.
    You lot have called me a lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannop View Post
    Lovely as ever Tony. A brand I had given no thought to until I saw Tims postings.

Did you get stung for duty? Even if you did, at the price you paid it's still a phenomenal bargain.
    Not yet, Duncan, but it was delivered by FedEx so the bill is sure to follow.

"Babe, can I wear it now?"

"Babe, can I wear it for work?"

I guess that's that, then

Probably for the best - it's a girls watch anyway

I am joking

To your earlier point, I don't have a problem with brand names being restored by investors but I do prefer the marketing to reflect that, rather than to present as though there's a constant history going back hundreds of years - like a family business handed down father to son or something. It all smacks a little of hoodwinking the populace at large - obviously not something you've bought into.
    Gray

I see it for what it is - sometimes of interest, sometimes not.

Very nice and elegant. Great bang for the buck!

Your photos are stunning. May I ask what kind of lens were you using? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Swissz View Post
    Very nice and elegant. Great bang for the buck!

Your photos are stunning. May I ask what kind of lens were you using? Thanks
    It's a Canon 60mm macro. I'd really like the 100mm L but I keep buying watches instead

I picked up a Perrelet about a year or so ago not knowing much about them and have been very impressed. Build quality is great and it's something you don't see many of.

Sure you'll enjoy it and the movement should keep your camera busy for a while.

Malc

Banned
    Here you go, Steve...
    Appreciated and looks great T.

Nice catch Tony - much under-appreciated as a brand IMO, Franck Muller being one of others in the same boat.

Enjoy!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Very nice for a square(ish) watch with Roman numerals, but aren't you supposed to be saving your pennies?
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Very nice indeed! Wonderful case detailing, in fact I think I like everything about that beauty.