closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 1960 Military Watches

1960 Military Watches

I saw on one of the TZ forums that a guy had decided to buy a watch that was made in the year he was born. It got me thinking that this was a nice idea and maybe some direction for where my next watch may be coming from. My main interest though is in British & US military watches. I really like the idea of getting a British military watch that would have been issued in 1960. So, can anyone help me identify which watches were issued to the Army, RN & RAF in 1960?

Thanks

Paul

Interesting thought - would they have been dated then?

Interesting thought - would they have been dated then?
    Off the top of my head, i can't recall a British issue watch with a stamped issue year of 1960 on it. Would still very much have been using WWW's and the like during this period.

The closest I can think of, with a head full of cold, is an Omega 56.

Cheers

Foggy

Craftsman
    The earliest 1960's marking I've seen is /62 on a Lemania Chronograph issued to the RAF.

6BB/924-3306
    /|\
    xxxx/62

Good hunting,

Terry

Grand Master
    Mark 11s would be used in 1960, I imagine, though I don't think any were procured in that particular year.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Thanks for your help, this is proving to be a little bit more challenging than I imagined. I'm lucky enough to already have an Omega 56 Foggy. It's along the right lines because the '56 has such an interesting history to it. I know it is supposed to be a bit of a franken watch but there is something very special about it.

Along similar lines, there is the Smiths which has to be a contender

I quite like the idea from Terry of a Lemania Chronograph - does anyone have a picture of one?

Mark 11's are an interesting thought, although like you Martin I have never seen one dated 1960.

What about divers watches? I guess there must have been Rolex and Tudor Subs which are a little outside of my budget, but what others were around. Were Omega or Precista making military dive watches then?

Thanks

Paul

Paul, here are some naval Lemania chronographs, but the markings show no dates although they would straddle 1960 in dates.

Also a shot of some of my collection's caseback markings - not too many dates I'm afraid.

Craftsman
    Blackhawk,

Apparently there was a Smiths issued to the Australian RAAF in 1961, it is quite a rare watch as far as I can make out. Markings are;

6645-66
    010-6032
    /|\
    No. xxx/61

The more common Smiths W10's did not appear until 1967 and were issued until 1970.

Good Hunting,

Terry Andrews