closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Nomos - quite impressed

Nomos - quite impressed

While I was doing some Christmas shopping today I noticed that one of my local places in Chichester has started to sell Nomos watches. I went in to take a closer look and came away really very impressed. I like the clean, simple designs - one or two reminded me of my Railmaster in terms of size and the colour of the dial. They seem very well made too, with a lovely finish to the cases. Given the prices I could well be tempted by one after Christmas.

I haven't seen them mentioned here very often, any one else tried or bought one?

Sort of unrelated but Nomos website sells shell cordovan straps for 60 EUR. That's how I found the brand in the first place. Their watches don't look bad either :)

Absolutely! Nomos is top-notch, in my experience. They know their stuff when it comes to design...

Nomos - quite impressed

I went to browse some at Stewarts Watches in Leicester and fell for the Orion Datum. With a
    hand assembled in-house movement adjusted to 6 positions for less than £2k, what's not to love? I had no intention of buying but out came the card...

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Absolutely! Nomos is top-notch, in my experience. They know their stuff when it comes to design...
    +1

They have a lot of limited editions :D

I'm really going to have to get over to Liverpool to get a look at these in person.

In-house manufacture based in Glashütte as well! They're a boutique watchmaker (with a tiny budget compared to the big luxury brands) but very well-respected. I met one of the founders at a party a couple of years ago, wearing one of their prototypes, some kind of worldtimer.

Master
    Here's the Club Dunkel(dark dial)

Pic could be sharper but nice simple design and superb quality.They make their own movements.

Quote Originally Posted by HoneyFB View Post
    Nomos is a brand that I would love to have a watch from.
    Beautiful and elegant simplicity, a piece of understated quality engineering for the owner
    rather than an ostentatious display or an attempted status symbol.
    Exactly. I'm planning a purchase from them soon. Are there any ADs in Scotland, does anyone know?

Here's mine I posted about earlier...

the blued hands really jump from the dial, which, although it looks white, is slightly silver.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by simoscribbler View Post
    Exactly. I'm planning a purchase from them soon. Are there any ADs in Scotland, does anyone know?
    Hamilton & Inches in Edinburgh sell them I believe.

I have a Tangente Datum. It's perfect. Simple, elegant, understated beauty. All in house, and excellent high quality. Support a smaller, less commercially biased company and get one. You probably won't regret it. This isn't the best pic as the dial is not so white, it almost has a yellowish, beige tint. Delicious.

I have no affiliation with Nomos!

Last edited by MerlinShepherd; 17th December 2012 at 21:10.

Nomos - quite impressed

I really love tangete datum and this one will be my goal for 2013! But I haven't seen them in person yet and would like to try them first. Is there any dealer of Nomos in Yorkshire or North-England?

Master
    Understated elegance. Great watches but a bit on the dressy side. Can't fault their finishes.

Journeyman
    Very nice understated watches

Sorry to put this as my first post but how do you find the general fit etc of the Nomos club? With it being only 35-36mm its obviously smaller than your average watch but having seen the Longines heritage pul it off I was wondering how the Nomos looks. I think this may well be my next purchase.

Master
    I think size is all about perception.The Club looks bigger than one might think as fewer numbers and smaller distance between numbers and outside of dial

Get one with a date if you are worried about size and if thats not enough get an automatic.. I am very happy with my manual wind datum!

Not happy about the €300 quote for a display back when they make a big deal out of the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by minkle View Post
    Get one with a date if you are worried about size and if thats not enough get an automatic.. I am very happy with my manual wind datum!

Not happy about the €300 quote for a display back when they make a big deal out of the movement.
    Thanks for the info. I would prefer the hand wind one rather than the automatic and yes, I also noticed the mark up for a display back (The black dial one) The white dial one being a bit cheaper. Interesting things I read on WUS someone saying they asked Stowa about a display back and it was no extra cost! I am also not too keen on a date I am trying to cut down on watches I own with a date and I swap watches quite often and would rather not have to worry about date/watch winding down etc....

I was thinking of the club or orion because they are a little different from the norm. I may go with the white dial to test the water.

Craftsman
    I have a Tangente LE and love it. The hand wound movement keeps very good time indeed, too.

Don't let the apparent small size put you off - they wear/look larger than the specs suggest. Here is mine next to my Seamaster (full size). The Nomos actually has larger visible face than the SM.

I'll be on the lookout for a Tangente Sport to go with this one :)
    Last edited by Hammerhead; 17th December 2012 at 10:35.

Master
    When I have enough money again, I will buy a Nomos Tangente (either with or without date). I tried one on years ago (at Wempe, I think) and it fit beautifully on my wrist. Gorgeous watch with great design.

Thats a great comparison photo next to a seamaster it really helps a lot in my decision making on a Nomos. The club seems to have a slightly thicker dial however that one and the orion give the impression that they sit well on the wrist.

Craftsman
    Lovely watches. They've always appealed to me, but I've never owned one.

I just bought the Tangente yesterday and it really is a lovely watch (Xmas present from a generous wife). There are some great pics on here and the internet but not sure many do the watch justice. May take a while to adjust to the size as I am used to wearing larger watches but it actually wears slightly larger than the dimensions would suggest. The only part I am not keen on is,and I am in the minority I know, the cordovan leather strap. Its very comfortable, good quality and suits the simplicity of the watch but I prefer something with a grain on a dress watch and it also marks very easily.

Quote Originally Posted by dicky8588 View Post
    I just bought the Tangente yesterday and it really is a lovely watch (Xmas present from a generous wife). There are some great pics on here and the internet but not sure many do the watch justice. May take a while to adjust to the size as I am used to wearing larger watches but it actually wears slightly larger than the dimensions would suggest. The only part I am not keen on is,and I am in the minority I know, the cordovan leather strap. Its very comfortable, good quality and suits the simplicity of the watch but I prefer something with a grain on a dress watch and it also marks very easily.
    Hi there,

I also have a Tangente and am extremely pleased with it, so much so that for nearly two months I haven't worn anything else. Regarding the strap, I too found the stock black strap a bit too plain (not to mention a little too long) and so I went for the black one with brown stiches that is usually fitted to the Club and I much prefer the result, seems to add something also it seems a bit tougher and does mark as easily. They have a range of straps to choose from on their website which will show you all the straps that fit the watch's lug width.

I have fully adjusted to size, this is watch that I appreciate more and more and anything else just feels ridiculous and over-styled by comparison.

Regards

PS already posted this on the Friday Thread but it does illustrate the point:

Thanks for the responses guys, after looking at them again this week I think I'll be treating myself in the new year :)

Got a nice Christmas card from them yesterday

Master
    Mappin & Webb stocks them

Master
    One more vote of confidence for Nomos - as if one were needed. At SalonQP they were a big highlight. It brought it home to me that many of the ultra-complicated pieces of haute horology nearby were great in a display case but might make you look a bit like the Mad Hatter if you tried to wear one in public. The Nomos offerings were fresh, wearable and well priced with a rather intellectual air, a watch that says 'I am an architect', rather than the usual diver, pilot, or businessman.

I particularly liked the models with thicker lugs - 'Orion' I think.

Check out their World Timer too, really great design. I think there's a video on Hodinkee somewhere.

I have a Tetra, which I bought on SC some while back. It is quite lovely (I like square watches anyway).

Saving for a Zurich...