closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Condensation inside a 1000ft waterproof watch.

Craftsman

Condensation inside a 1000ft waterproof watch.

Just a bit of help please folks..

Received a watch today, its a 300m divers, as most will be aware..

Upon putting the watch on and wearing for 10 mins there developed a 1cm diameter of condensation on the inside of the mineral glass, I know it came out of a cold postal van but I was still a little surprised.

It dried up after about half an hour. I drove over to the gym, walked 5 mins from the carpark and stood in reception chatting for a while and looked back at the watch and the condensation had re-appeared.

Ive had a few Rolex and Panerai in the past and watches with a far less waterproof rating and never come across this before.

The seller has offered me a refund, hopefully before Christmas so I can get another, but I just wanted to check if there is an obvious reason for this, I feel its allowing in moisture and therefore the seals are not working properly.

Thanks for any help folks..
    Andy.

Think it's safe to say that ain't waterproof no more.

Yep, seals are shot if it's letting moisture in.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chopper View Post
    Just a bit of help please folks..

Received a watch today, its a 300m divers, as most will be aware..

Upon putting the watch on and wearing for 10 mins there developed a 1cm diameter of condensation on the inside of the mineral glass, I know it came out of a cold postal van but I was still a little surprised.

It dried up after about half an hour. I drove over to the gym, walked 5 mins from the carpark and stood in reception chatting for a while and looked back at the watch and the condensation had re-appeared.

Ive had a few Rolex and Panerai in the past and watches with a far less waterproof rating and never come across this before.

The seller has offered me a refund, hopefully before Christmas so I can get another, but I just wanted to check if there is an obvious reason for this, I feel its allowing in moisture and therefore the seals are not working properly.

Thanks for any help folks..
    Andy.
    Hi Andy, the condensation only is a sign that there is moisture inside the watch.
    It doesn't (necessarily) mean that there is water ingress.

Another possibility is that at service there was a lot of humid air inside the watch (which is now trapped inside).
    Anyhow, moisture inside a watch isn't a good sign, unless it is a special oil-filled watch (like some Sinns), which this watch clearly is not.

I would return the watch as the humidity might have already caused damage to the movement to some extend.

If you would choose to keep the watch, have it resealed with new seals to be sure and make sure the movement is fully serviced and checked for damage from water ingress.
    Last edited by Bernard; 12th December 2012 at 15:29.

Craftsman
    Is it a used or a new one?

Seals aren't necessarily gone - water could be trapped inside due to conditions in the factory when it was sealed and now condensates during these extreme Temperature changes.

Regards,
    Al

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Anaxarch View Post

Seals aren't necessarily gone - water could be trapped inside due to conditions in the factory when it was sealed and now condensates during these extreme Temperature changes.

Regards,
    Al
    Its a used one.. It has been modded..

it has been modded..
    There you go then.

I'd want my money back - that should be the seller's problem, not yours.
    Gray

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    There you go then.
    Yeah that's sort of along the lines what I was thinking..

Craftsman
    Just send it back and tell the seller to put it on a heater for a couple of minutes before he closes it ;)

Regards,
    Al

Same thing happened to my G-shock after a few hours of snorkling.
    I had changed the battery recently - so that was clue.
    All it needed was some vasaline on the case back seal to help it to sit in the groove properly.

The person who last had the watch open should be able to sort it out.
    It's not your problem.

Angry

This happened to my Sinn U1 when just out of warranty! Went back to them to be fixed.....

you only need new seals all around

Quote Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
    Same thing happened to my G-shock after a few hours of snorkling.
    I had changed the battery recently - so that was clue.
    All it needed was some vasaline on the case back seal to help it to sit in the groove properly.

The person who last had the watch open should be able to sort it out.
    It's not your problem.
    I doubt the watch has been open - it's a Citizen Eco-Zilla. I have had a few watches mist up from new - two Swiss army watches (so I'll never buy one again - not while G-shock are made!) - there are lots of possible reasons - but leaving the watch crown open and on radiator may help. You can then heat the watch and put it in the fridge or vice versa - if it happens again, look at having the watch open and dried out asap - if it doesn't happen again with the hot and cold technique then all is well.

I bought a new one of these in November and I think they are great watches.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I doubt the watch has been open - it's a Citizen Eco-Zilla. I have had a few watches mist up from new - two Swiss army watches (so I'll never buy one again - not while G-shock are made!) - there are lots of possible reasons - but leaving the watch crown open and on radiator may help. You can then heat the watch and put it in the fridge or vice versa - if it happens again, look at having the watch open and dried out asap - if it doesn't happen again with the hot and cold technique then all is well.

I bought a new one of these in November and I think they are great watches.
    Thanks for that, I will try the crown open technique, but all of the inner case back has been polished to remove the writing and serial number, the outer case back hasn't been polished so Im assuming the inner case back (the part you would remove to get into the inside) was removed to do the polishing.

Thanks for that, I will try the crown open technique, but all of the inner case back has been polished to remove the writing and serial number, the outer case back hasn't been polished so Im assuming the inner case back (the part you would remove to get into the inside) was removed to do the polishing.
    Ah - possibly. Which may provide an answer to the mystery of how.
    It's just a matter of time...

Hi, this is rather disappointing. I polished the caseback on this. The caseback was not removed when i did the work. I only removed the strap retaining ring and strap before polishing, by hand using wet n dry and Pinnacle polish.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post
    Hi, this is rather disappointing. I polished the caseback on this. The caseback was not removed when i did the work. I only removed the strap retaining ring and strap before polishing, by hand using wet n dry and Pinnacle polish.
    I think its sorted the guy who I bought it from (from my wanted add) is sending me a refund. So all is good.

Obviously somewhere along the line the case may have been opened and not sealed correctly..

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Anaxarch View Post

Regards,
    Al
    Judging by the amount of water I don`t think this is feasible. My guess is that water's got in by one of the usual routes. I wouldn`t be at all happy and I think I`d send it back.

Paul

Craftsman

Just to clarify is it normal procedure to send the watch back and then get the refund or get the refund then send the watch back?. Just to clear things up between myself and the seller.

For those who think fogging up of crystals, in the face of a sharp temperature change, is a sign of watch WR failure, please try this simple test.

Get an ice cube from your freezer and hold against the crystal of your watch for 30-60 seconds and check the result.

It will be interesting to see the results members report.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Get an ice cube from your freezer and hold against the crystal of your watch for 30-60 seconds and check the result.

It will be interesting to see the results members report.
    I can confirm cold, wet fingers.

I've found leaving the crown out and then putting in the uncooked rice jar works well to get moisture out, you don't need to bury it in there, sitting on top works fine

wook

Remember the good old days before we had waterproof watches? Put it in the mantle piece to dry out and got on with our day.

I had a Citizen, years ago that misted up often. One day I decided it needed opened for I don't know what. And boy it stank in there!

Despite the damp it worked great.

Master
    I had this on a PRS-14 straight from Eddie (i.e. no modifications or servicing). Eddie checked it over and it was absolutely fine, so I think it can just be the ice-cube effect.

I think (but can't remember for sure) I had this on a G-Shock too.

Craftsman
    Its on its way back to the previous owner now RMSD.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had a diver that developed this after coming back from Omega after a service. As soon as a I put it on after a few minutes it would get foggy in the centre of the watch. take the watch off it would disappear till I put it on again. It went back to them they put in a new movement and were very apologetic

Craftsman

Thought id shed some light on this one ,i bought this Mod from "Senraw" -watch turned up in good shape ie very neat mod ,now ive not worn it ,i took it out of the box and it was okay however i did notice a slight fade in the crystal at corner(tiny) but thought nothing of it and when having a look later it was gone -nothing like the condensation in the middle of the watch.Now ive had 4 of these watches and this watch hasnt been taken apart. I dont even think the seals are faulty ,just a bit of moisture.The question of money back to the purchaser is unquestionable(a gentlemans agreement on the understanding the watch is returned in its sent condition) because i only do a money back Guarantee ( new or vintage. Now ill await the watch back and im not sending it back to the my seller ill sort it myself.
    Tony aka SEIKOLIC & Timetraveller

Craftsman
    All sorted now..
    Last edited by Big Chopper; 18th December 2012 at 13:43.