closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Does anyone use lens hoods?

Does anyone use lens hoods?

If so, when do you use them and why?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    I use the lens hood all the time, particularly outdoors.

They stop stray light entering where it shouldn't and offer some protection to the lens element from damage etc, at least the deeper ones do. I gave up on screw on filters years ago for protection, they're a waste of money and affect the optics. A properly designed lens hood won't cuse vignettimg at the lens widest setting, but will reduce glare.

I don't use one for some indoor photography, where I can control the light etc, and nor do I when I have a square slide filter system on the lens for landscapes etc, but that's only because it won't physically fit.

My use of them is when you are shooting close to the sun and there is direct light hitting the front lens.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Yes, use them when outside, for the "stray light" reduction ( seems to help contrast ) and lens protection as mentioned. Most of my hoods reverse and fit backwards on the lens for portability. On long lenses, the hood also acts as a dew shield when outside on cold nights.

I'm geekily fond of my dedicated focal-length specific metal lens hoods for my Takumar lenses. The have a small velvet lining on the inside of the hood that allows a perfect reverse fit by friction only on the designated lens. Class

Have also given up on protective filters.

Paul

Master
    Shooting outside, always, inside, not so big a deal.

No. However, sometimes I block the sun, or get in some shade.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Always when outside, as others have said - it protects the lens from bumps and bashes.

Less so inside - but still sometimes.

Cheers,

I don't but just because I'm lazy and don't bother to take them along. But I have read in several articles that they improve significantly the resolution and quality of the pictures (there was even a post somewhere with comparison pics).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    I gave up on screw on filters years ago for protection, they're a waste of money and affect the optics..
    I would disagree with that. Good quality filter is a must on expensive lens. Will protect the front glass element from scratches but also during fall etc.
    I dropped my camera on the concrete ground whilst on holidays and it went lens down (no suprise there with 18-200mm being almost 1kg)
    UV filter shattered but glass underneath was intact. I'm 100% sure if it wasn't for the filter the damage would be much bigger. Lens doesn't focus now so it's for spares/repair only but at least optics is still good.

What I did not have on (regretfully) was the hood. If that was on I suspect it would have survived the drop intact.... Since it was at night I didn't bother but now I'll put it on everytime I go out, day or night.

^ 100% ?

I had a 135mm Takumar ( solid metal barrel ) lens attached to my metal-bodied Pentax K7 when it flew out of my rucksack while I was running to an event. Must have launched over my head, 2m in the air. Landed in front of me, so hard that the focussing screen inside the camera was ejected. The camera and lens were fine. No filter. Just an anecdote...

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by mac83 View Post
    I would disagree with that. Good quality filter is a must on expensive lens. Will protect the front glass element from scratches but also during fall etc.
    I dropped my camera on the concrete ground whilst on holidays and it went lens down (no suprise there with 18-200mm being almost 1kg)
    UV filter shattered but glass underneath was intact. I'm 100% sure if it wasn't for the filter the damage would be much bigger. Lens doesn't focus now so it's for spares/repair only but at least optics is still good.

What I did not have on (regretfully) was the hood. If that was on I suspect it would have survived the drop intact.... Since it was at night I didn't bother but now I'll put it on everytime I go out, day or night.
    It's quite possible that the only damage is the lens' focusing mechanism being knocked off its helicoil and if so it is easily remedied. Have a word with Dave Boyle http://www.camerarepairworkshop.co.uk ... he has repaired one my lenses which suffered this fate and also repaired a friend's lens with the same problem.

dunk
    "The energy expenditure of most people's weekly gym class workouts equates to the reward of one large doughnut afterwards" Prof. Tim Spector, 'The Diet Myth' author

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mac83 View Post

You kind of undid your own argument there?!

A drop of that sort will probably kill any lens, hood on or not, but the filter hasn't really saved it has it? A lens hood will just as likely save the front element from foliage or careless use as a protection filter, which interferes with the lens design that the manufacturer spent so long trying to formulate.

Even what most people consider expensive and good quality filters will still adversely effect image quality IMHO, it's a mystery to me why a massive filter business has grown around photography these days. I guess I get annoyed because it's the first thing that Jessops and the like try to sell you when you buy your first DSLR! I fell foul of it myself, buying a Pentax K100d and kit lens, and then spending 30-40% of the cost on filters, they must have seen me coming!

As I said, I do use square filters for landscapes, almost exclusively ND Grads or plain ND's for longer exposure times in daylight, but I still don't really like using them unless the conditions dictate.

I know people are either in the filter camp, or not, but a lens hood should always be on there again IMHO.

Craftsman
    You've had already good answers here. However, I was shooting outdoors without the hood and a wise man passing by said to me: "Always a hood, son! always a hood..."

Master
    I always use a lens hood

On Filters - I have quite a few expensive lens - I stopped using UV protection filters a couple of years ago

If I still have them I take them off when I am shooting and only keep them on the lens when the lens are being stored

I reckon that they are a complete waste of money and serve no purpose and why put a cheap, (although the famous brand named ones are expensive), piece of glass in front of a 1,000 + lens

Or why put a cheap piece of glass in front of any lens

but each to his own

but surely this is a "trick question" from Eddie

^^^ No trick question from me, I've never used a lens hood even though some of my lenses have the sliding type lens hoods already attached.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    ^^^ No trick question from me, I've never used a lens hood even though some of my lenses have the sliding type lens hoods already attached.

Eddie
    I was waiting for the "boom ... boom"

apart from the light factors ...i.e. stopping stray light hitting the lens and allowing certain exposure modes to be a little more accurate, (subconsciously anyway)

they add some protection if you are swinging the camera around etc., or decide to drop it on the floor ........ I think that I have dropped all my cameras at least once - the lens hood usually breaks the impact and bounces off with no damage
    Last edited by BillN; 8th December 2012 at 18:04.

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    No. However, sometimes I block the sun, or get in some shade.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    The same here.

As a pro I do try and use both lens hoods and filters. Lens hoods are generally just to cut down stray light (I use a lot of contrasty open headed flash gear) otherwise I would get too much flare and the image contrast drops.

As for filters yes you should use them - many times I have smashed a filter or scratched it whilst quickly trying to clean a lens both situations would have ruined a 1200 lens so yes use 'em and they will save you grief & money. Same goes for lens hoods they have saved a few lens too and do often front protection on the wilder assignments.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    many times I have smashed a filter or scratched it whilst quickly trying to clean a lens
    Exactly this, would rather scratch a 30 filter than an 800 lens.

For filters themselves I always buy Kenko Pro1 which, from what I've read, are the same as Hoya Pro1 only in Japan they're sold as Kenko and in others they're sold as Hoya. Bonus is Kenko are cheaper.

Never had any problems with them affecting focus and / or image quality, in fact using a circular polarizer has given me some great shots when the same shot with no filter was nowhere near as good.

Always use a hood outdoors, sometimes indoors.
    I have been unimpressed with the negative side of filters, which I previously used religiously for many of the reasons stated above. So now I use them occasionally outdoors/traveling (and am transitioning over to polarising filters from the current UVs, sparingly indoors and never when doing watch photography in the studio.

Master
    I will always use a lens hood, especially out in the sun or even when in the dark with point sources, as too often there will be problems with flare and iris images if you don't. I do tend to use prime lenses rather than zooms though, and film rather than digi, so I get miffed if a reflection or flare ruins an otherwise nice picture.

I also use filters of all types but never at night as any point sources end up being reflected and mucking up nice pictures.

Jason

Usually I use lens hoods especially when I'm outside.

In this situation I don't have room for it:

BBIMG_5505 by Malus65, on Flickr

Banned
    all the time to protect the lens and stop flare

sometimes for macro or flash with wide angle you have to take it of

I always use my hoods (including the compendium hood on the Sinar), and always recommend that people do too, with the possible exception of having the sun directly behind me and no reflections of any type in the frame. Even then I still use mine from force of habit. The easiest way to describe the effect of a lens hood is the sun visor in the car. When you lower the visor you don't actually limit the light getting to your eyes from the scene generally, but you do limit the glare into your eyes. This is perhaps an extreme example, but is a practical demonstration.

With regards to filters; for anything seriously tasty such as anything Canon L, Nikon N, Pentax DA, or anything from the Germans I would suggest Hoya HD or Zeiss T* filters as they are as good as, if not better than the front element of the lens (in fact having had a chat on this subject with an optical technician working in the workshops for a company that will remain nameless he said that he used Hoya HD's on his lenses he had tested them on the optical bench and they were the only thing as good as his seriously pro glass).

For everything else Hoya Pro-1 or HMC UV are very good.

"Does anyone use lens hoods?"

Yes.