closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lithium batteries and Royal Mail

Lithium batteries and Royal Mail

This might concern g-shock collectors and other quartz watch collectors that use lithium batteries. Royal Mail are prohibiting their transport via them from 10th Jan 2013. As I've got a suitcase full of G-shocks, I will be stocking up on CR2016 and CR2025.

Some more info from a supplier I have used several times in the past (other battery places may well be cheaper...) : http://www.battery-force.co.uk/news.html

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by rsykes2000 View Post
    This might concern g-shock collectors and other quartz watch collectors that use lithium batteries. Royal Mail are prohibiting their transport via them from 10th Jan 2013. As I've got a suitcase full of G-shocks, I will be stocking up on CR2016 and CR2025.

Some more info from a supplier I have used several times in the past (other battery places may well be cheaper...) : http://www.battery-force.co.uk/news.html
    the green concern goes on ...

Master
    What absolute bollocks. H&S gone into overdrive. We've had this regulation in place for a while now that when travelling offshore we have to declare any 'spare lithium batteries for our laptops. We then have to get the connectors taped up and placed in a plastic bag. Failure to declare a spare batter has some heavy consequences. How on earth are they going to enforce a crackdown on any item that contains a lithium battery? The administration costs will be staggering.

Thanks for the heads up. I have a few torches that run off lithium batteries, so it looks like i'd better stock up before the cut off date.

Japan Post wont ship batteries ( of any sort ) overseas. I noticed the change about a year or so ago. For mechanical watches, I have to explicitly write on the package "no battery" or they wont accept it. Anything with a battery, and especially with a timing device, is either suspect or "potentially unsafe" apparently.

Paul

what about Li-Po?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRS2113 View Post
    what about Li-Po?
    If you are fat they just charge more.

I think this is madness also, I noticed about a year ago that airport check in desks in the UK started asking if there were any lithium batteries in hold luggage.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    If you are fat they just charge more.

I think this is madness also, I noticed about a year ago that airport check in desks in the UK started asking if there were any lithium batteries in hold luggage.
    ROFL - will no-one be able to post iPads, iPhones, Laptops etc etc etc any more if Lithium Polymer batteries can't be shipped...... what's the problem anyhow?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRS2113 View Post
    ROFL - will no-one be able to post iPads, iPhones, Laptops etc etc etc any more if Lithium Polymer batteries can't be shipped...... what's the problem anyhow?
    http://www.airportwatch.org.uk/?p=4421

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olivier24 View Post
    the green concern goes on ...
    No, nothing to do with that. It´s all about the terrorist scare again.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz View Post
    ´It said customers should identify bulk shipments of lithium batteries on air
    waybills and other documents; the batteries should be stowed in Class C compartments,
    or where alternative fire suppression is available; training, stowage, and communication
    protocols for carrying lithium batteries in the event of a fire should be evaluated.´

Please note; BULK SHIPMENTS and also that even those can still be shipped.

So are you saying if you send batteries via Royal Mail, you will be charged ??

Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    I'm positive.

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    I'm positive.
    Very good... : )

Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    You'll get a shock if you try.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I'm sure everyone who sends Lithium batteries by RM will endorse the package "This package contains Lithium batteries".

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I hate to be negative, but this ban could be terminal for some companies.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I'm sure everyone who sends Lithium batteries by RM will endorse the package "This package contains Lithium batteries".

Eddie
    No doubt the businesses who do supply these by post will come under the scrutiny of the PO. :-(

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Lithium batteries and Royal Mail

They will find a way to short circuit the ban and still deliver a AAA delivery service.

IGMC.