closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Boxing with Breitlings...

Boxing with Breitlings...

How did I end up here? Three Breitlings?!

If I'd had three Rolex, or three Omegas, no-one would bat an eyelid, but, it would appear my tastes have turned to a brand that many on here find divisive. But why is it divisive? I have no clue, but what I can do, is explain my reasonings behind the choice.

The Contenders:

The Featherweight The 42mm Aerospace Avantage Ana-Digi

Quite possibly, the ultimate everyday watch. Grab and Go quartz convenience, with an abundance of features, good looks, and the showstopper - the weight. If you've never tried one, you won't have experienced the 38g that the titanium produces, nor the quality that the watch exudes.

Superquartz accuracy and features, lightweight yet excellent build quality, and with a 100m water resistance, you can rest assured it will tackle most situations. Many deem this to be a WIS icon, I, just don't believe I didn't buy one sooner.

The Heavyweight The 45mm Avenger Seawolf 3000m Diver

At 160g, there isn't going to be many comparisons drawn between this and the Aerospace, but that's how I like it - no need for similarities in my collection.

This is one beast of a watch, but then you'd expect that with a 3000m depth rating. I love the styling of the grey dial set against the brown leather, and at a third of the price of the Rolex Deepsea, value for money is prevalent, but the build quality is up there with the best. I cannot adequately convey the strength this watch shows. Of course, it needs to be strong for the water resistance capabilities, but until you handle one you won't believe how solid it really is. Don't buy one if you have a sub 7" wrist, but anything above can pull off the heft.

The Middleweight The 41.8mm Navitimer Slide Rule Chrono

You can't think of Breitling without thinking of the Navi - it's a classic, and easily recognisable.

It might be the middleweight of my Breitling's in grams, but it's the heavyweight of Breitling as a company. If there's one design they should never drop, it's the Navi.

Why do Breitling play on the Aviation theme all the time? For the same reason Omega play on the Space theme all the time - Historical relevance. With its close links with the AOPA (Aircraft Owners & Pilot Association) from around 1954 onwards, this was the watch of their choice. Infact, the AOPA even claim they had input in the making and specifications of the Navitimer.

What I do know, is this is my favourite watch. The slide rule is functional and interesting, the design is iconic and can look just as good on a Nato strap as it does on the superbly engineered pilot bracelet or a Breitling Calf/Alligator strap. I gave up my Speedmaster for this, and I don't regret it one bit.

I'm not that keen on many Breitling designs, but I believe I have three of the best. Whether it's laden with digital features or built with the strength to handle an inhospitable ocean environment or owning and admiring an icon, I think with only one brand, I've got most bases covered.
    Last edited by RossC; 5th December 2012 at 19:17.

With those three you have all you'll ever need!! well done a fine collection.

Never managed to take the Navi off my list, just felt rude!

Congratulations, lovely collection

Great Breitling collection - as you say, all bases seem to be covered in terms of functions, materials and (Breitling) styles .... my recently acquired and serviced Chronospace had been receiving a LOT of wrist time since it came back from Breitling and, while the brand does indeed seem to receive mixed feelings on the forum I am surprised how much pleasure I have had from mine. Suspect this is because it is such a contrast from the rest of my watches, which are predominantly automatic, with two hand wound. The ana-digi combo really does hit the spot in terms of having tour cake and eating it too I reckon ..... perhaps a G-Shock next for me then?????

Master
    I've never understood the negativity around Breitling. They're fabulous watches.
    The Navitimer is high on my wish list.

Isn't a brace two and not three?
    Last edited by Cynar; 5th December 2012 at 18:37.

A brace is a pair old chap

Poetic licence Gents. I liked the alliteration of the B's, and kept thinking about Rowan Atkinson in Blackadder... "BOB".

Master
    Very nice,great collection;Fancy an Aerospace myself.My Ti Avenger seawolf is my go to watch.

Boxing with Breitlings...

Lovely collection :-) and with all the recent pi**ing and bitching its nice to see someone showing such enthusiasm for his watches. We need more threads like this!

Nice trio, I really would like a Navitimer in my collection and the Aerospace is one I coming around to more and more

Great collection of Breitling and all verey different too :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Lovely trio, great picture too, certainly covers everything....what I really like about Breitlings is the many different strap combinations available, and IMHO the Breitling Croc straps are the best around.
    I have always wondered why Breitling don't utilise this more in their marketing strategy, aka Panerai by providing an easier method of strap changing including a spare strap and strap tool in the box.

Master
    Yes I never quite understood why breitling receives bad rep. Taking out the brand- In my opinion simply in terms of build quality and functionality they are on par with Omega.

Master
    I also disregarded Breitlings till I got my limited edition Chronomat!! Im sold now and love breitlings :) It is a very sturdy, accurate reliable, and one of few independents left!

Journeyman
    Thank goodness I'm not alone. I have no real reason for liking the brand, I'm not a pilot and have no real interest in aerospace. All the same I have found mine to be reliable, accurate and well built. Mot everyone's favourite but that makes them all the more attractive to me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunsung View Post
    Yes I never quite understood why breitling receives bad rep. Taking out the brand- In my opinion simply in terms of build quality and functionality they are on par with Omega.
    I think before the new Omega ceramics Breitlings were generally better built and finished.

Thanks for all the kind comments

I love Breitlings, they were the brand that got me into watches - met a bloke on the beach while we were both messing about with pur boats and he told me he'd swapped a "Breitling" for a new engine for his boat! I was astonished, didn't know anything about them only having heard of Rolex as a high end watch. I've now got a brace myself ( did have three but my wife pinched the other one!) and love them.

Blog Entries
    Maybe you should add something like this - long discontinued - but available if you hunt

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post

The Featherweight The 42mm Aerospace Avantage Ana-Digi

The Heavyweight The 45mm Avenger Seawolf 3000m Diver

The Middleweight The 41.8mm Navitimer Slide Rule Chrono
    Very nice watches, very nice comparison.

I love the Aerospaces so much I have two as does an old friend of mine.

For some reason I have never ticked the Navitimer box, though I have come close on many instances. Truly one of the iconic Chronographs (Navitimers, Daytonas, Speedmasters and possibly the Monacos)...

Lovely collection and nice write-up. I'm so very envious of people with 7"+ wrists as I desperately want an Avenger Seawolf. I think I'm going to have to settle on a SuperOcean 44 though, as I really do need a Breitling diver in my collection. And as a self confessed Breitling fan, I really should get a Navitimer one day too.

Enjoy your Bs in good health!

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    I also disregarded Breitlings till I got my limited edition Chronomat!! Im sold now and love breitlings :) It is a very sturdy, accurate reliable, and one of few independents left!

I think it's charming that you got your child to model your watch!

OP, re. the Heavyweight - is that watch really 160g on the leather? That's some heft!

Nice trio! I've got a soft spot for the Seawolf (and the other Avengers). Tried one on and really liked it. Too big for me though (although it was a while ago, before I got my PAM, so I should give it another go).

Breitling was one that I never quite got until I thought I'd try an Airwolf the other month. Really impressed with it, build quality is fine and it's a nice, easy grab and go watch.

Really nice set you have there.

Malc

Master
    A great trio there, very nice!

I'm tempted by a Navitimer, I already have an Aerospace and a Superocean. I used to own a Montbrillant and one of the very few watches I seriously regret selling...

Breitling were the company that got me into 'proper' watches.

I fell for the charms of the Cosmonaute one day as I passed a little second hand watch shop near the Barbican in London and saw a vintage one in the window.

I went home and researched it and when I had a little free cash I bought a '67 Cosmonaute.

It's a truly lovely watch. Iconic styling, great history, 24 hour mechanism is interesting, but it's the sheer quality of the watch that impresses most.

Winding it up it feels properly engineered. There's a feeling of precision that's absent on my much newer Omega Speedmaster (or even a brand new one I tried in a jewellers when looking for one) and other brands I've handled.

To be honest, of their newer styles, there aren't a lot that really appeal to me, but if I had a few grand spare I'd have a silver faced Transocean on a brown leather strap. I think that's a lovely, understated, watch.

M

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    I think it's charming that you got your child to model your watch!

OP, re. the Heavyweight - is that watch really 160g on the leather? That's some heft!
    LOl thats MY wrist haha i know my wrist is so thin :(

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    That's the head only weight as quoted by Breitling Source.

• Aerospace: 38g
    • Seawolf: 159.2g
    • Navitimer: 79.4g

It's properly hefty, but kind of re-assuring. I had to laugh at one of my non-WIS friends, who exclaimed,

"Well, you can tell it's not a fake."
    "How", I asked.
    "Because of how heavy it is..."

Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    That's the head only weight as quoted by Breitling Source.
    • Aerospace: 38g
    • Seawolf: 159.2g
    • Navitimer: 79.4g
    That's some heft! If I remember the DN PRS2 was only about (ha, only) 240g on the bracelet. I wonder what the bracelet weighs? (Thanks for not getting too offended, kaiserphoenix!)

Master
    Love the seawolf. Top of my "next watch" list at the moment!