closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: G Shock 5600 - analysis paralysis over

G Shock 5600 - analysis paralysis over

Alright so I'm not a fan of G Shocks. Including the bizarrely award-winning JDM AWG-500J atomic solar ana-digi one that I own, which is uncomfortable, unreadable and sucky. Of course, I'm wearing it right now, but only in the same manner in which I occasionally eat a canned stuffed olive. To remind me again how awful it is.

Despite this deep-seated antagonism to the brand, I find myself, ludicrously, with the hots for another. And so to the 5600 series. Ah the classic shape. Well, classic only in that the same ugly square plastic face with 5 colours ( five ! ) of pointless text around the "dial" has been around now for so long without much change, that it has gained a sort of respect for being uncomprisingly brutal forever. The Mercedes G-Wagen of watch design. Stretching it a bit there, but I need to believe.

But which one ? I'm going slightly mad just trying to fathom out the range. I get the battery/solar/atomic/bluetooth variations. But then you have the module differences ( obviously I *need* a perpetual calendar that goes beyond 2039 ... ), the China vs Japan vs Thailand builds. The G vs the DW vs the G-Lide, the positive or negative display, the shade of the LCD background, the colour of the buttons and then there's all the actual colour variations and special editions. It's a model that is almost a genre unto itself. I am like the man who, asleep since the 80’s, walks into a coffee shop ( past the protestors ) and is pole-axed by the Starbucks menu. Just give me a damn G !

So, those that have been-there-done-that with the 5600, which is the one to seek, or which is one to avoid ? I'm leaning towards normal display, but non-black case ( though non-shiny ) if that helps. The screwback G5000 isn't going to happen - I can find it here new, but I'd just buy a different watch for that kind of money ( £250 ).

In the absence of pics, model numbers with all the letters before and aft if possible, otherwise I'll be lost at sea again.

Help me Obi-WIS - you are my only hope

Paul
    Last edited by Tokyo Tokei; 6th December 2012 at 13:38. Reason: stopped arsing around and bought one

you didnt have all this fuss with the monster did you paul?. black or orange, bracelet or rubber. straightforward choices for straightforward times. eeee them were the days.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Exactly ! You buy the black one. You buy the orange one. You sell the orange one as it's surplus. You buy it back again as it's essential. Job done. Game Over. Insert no more coins. Do not pass Go ( or G.O. ) and do not collect 200 watches. Your watch is not assessed for movement repairs, do not pay £250 for each mechanical in your possession and £2.50 for each quartz. Leave forum and live a simple humble untroubled life. Do not advance to Mayfair or the nearby Burlington Arcade.

Paul

Browsing an online watch shop, I "narrow" the search to just G Shocks and just 5600 series.

I get 154 results

Some possibilities ...

G-5600-9DR, listed as "green and yellow" ...

GW-5600J-1CR, plain and simple

G-5600A-9DR ( one letter difference to the first one ! )

DW-5600EG-9VS The gold-buttons-and-buckle one ...

GW-M5610R-1JF, maybe current most-likely ...

Dazed and Confused !

Paul

Master
    I feel your grief. I have a thing for the 5000/5600 series, and yet the rest of the Casio G shock range leave me cold.

In addition to these ones I have also recently aquired a GW5000 and a GW5610BC http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-A-bunch-of-Gs

I do find that the solid screw back 5000s are that bit better - weightier and more WIS (IMO) - but they do cost appreciably more. If you're relaxed re cost, then I would wholeheartedly recemmend the GW5000 as a one and only G. If you don't want to spend that much then the GW5610 would be the one to have IMO. I personally would just get a black one (with standard display i.e. not the 'reverse' 'BC' ones). However, if you must have some colour then the yellow makes a statement.

Banned
    Just get the standard issue Al Qaeda one. A million terrorists cant be wrong....

Thats not a g shock josh . Thats exactly the sort of left of centre woolly generalisation that passes for fact outside the bullingdon club . No wonder this forum is going down the drain .

Paul , just get a solar atomic one, non reverse display , and when youve done that , get the composite bracelet to fit it on . job done . youll see why i said that .

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Thats not a g shock josh . Thats exactly the sort of left of centre woolly generalisation that passes for fact outside the bullingdon club . No wonder this forum is going down the drain .
    how very dare you Sir! I am well aware that the F91W is not​ a G shock. I was offering the gentleman an alternative that will get him the same dreary look and save money and decision making.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    how very dare you Sir! I am well aware that the F91W is not​ a G shock. I was offering the gentleman an alternative that will get him the same dreary look and save money and decision making.
    You mean, an alternative that will get him arrested....in some parts of the world.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    You mean, an alternative that will get him arrested....in some parts of the world.
    Some chaps down the Bully have to pay for cavity searches, dont you know. Dont look a gift horse in the mouth what!

Blog Entries

Solar? - check
    Atomic? - check
    Positive Display? - check
    Not shiny? - check
    Not black? - check

It's a GW-5600A-7ER - ideal for sports/beach

Downsides ? - the white keeper is a little discoloured after 18 months.

z

Master
    Go for one of the DW-5600 series watches. The GW-5600M is adored by a lot of people on here but I hate them... The font is too fat, the stopwatch doesn't show the current time like the DW-5600, the solar power is unnecessary let's face it as the standard batteries last for years and years etc. Okay so the atomic timekeeping is great but when you wear a DW-5600, it's a true classic with all the features you would want and need.

Even better still would be a vintage DW-5600c as they have a full stainless steel case. The spike lee from a few years ago had this too but the price is higher than most... DW-5000SL. Otherwise there's a 5600BB on sales corner right now... I have one and I absolutely love that watch!

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

Solar? - check
    Atomic? - check
    Positive Display? - check
    Not shiny? - check
    Not black? - check

It's a GW-5600A-7ER - ideal for sports/beach

Downsides ? - the white keeper is a little discoloured after 18 months.

z
    i often think that would look good on the black composite bracelet

Journeyman

G Shock 5600 - for crying out loud

The China made 5600A-9. I use it mainly for cycling, as my wife thinks it makes me look like a 13-year-old with alopecia.

I've had 'em all.

Get the classic DW-5600E. Everything else is just gravy.

Thanks all ... I think ! Possibly more confused than ever

Dartboard time maybe.

Paul

Master
    As mentioned above the DW5600 is hard to beat for value for money. The GW-M5610 is great if you fancy atomic/solar. The different colour variations are a personal choice. You would have to be mentally unstable to even consider buying the GW-5000 at over 3 times the cost of the GW-M5610............

Here is my new GW-5000

It does seem excessive that that the only real difference between this and the M5610 is the steel case/screw back and better quality resin, the modules are the same for crying out loud. But for some reason when it's on the wrist it just feels right.

I recently bought this one as my first G-Shock and can thoroughly recommend it.

I can rarely see what the time is without pressing the light but it looks really good and the bracelet is very comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    As mentioned above the DW5600 is hard to beat for value for money. The GW-M5610 is great if you fancy atomic/solar. The different colour variations are a personal choice. You would have to be mentally unstable to even consider buying the GW-5000 at over 3 times the cost of the GW-M5610............

Here is my new GW-5000 [ ... ]
    Ha ha !

I'm now leaning towards a DW as a cheapy. The black one is about £30 which doesn't leave a whole lot for buyers remorse. I like the yellow and white versions posted though... If I can find a coloured one at a reasonable price I'll spring for one of those. For some reason I like orange at the moment, but they seem scarce. Maybe that black with gold buttons DW5600. Arghhh.... I'm lost again.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    I've had 'em all.

i love gravy

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Ha ha !

I'm now leaning towards a DW as a cheapy. The black one is about £30 which doesn't leave a whole lot for buyers remorse. I like the yellow and white versions posted though... If I can find a coloured one at a reasonable price I'll spring for one of those. For some reason I like orange at the moment, but they seem scarce. Maybe that black with gold buttons DW5600. Arghhh.... I'm lost again.

Paul
    Black and gold. I have a 5700 with gold buttons and buckle, but it doesn't have a nice gold cast to the screen like that black and gold 5600.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    I've had 'em all.

Ditto.

Unadorned classless class.

Journeyman
    funny watches but not ready yet to wear it

Craftsman
    if you are going to use the features of the watch then be sure you are comfortable with the push buttons. On the 5600 newer models they can be quite small and not very easy to use.

I would concur with the approach that if you need only one, go for a positive display. GW M5610 is my choice for not having to worry about battery or timekeeping, the combi bracelet is an excellent retrofit choice, ultra comfy.

If you are clinically insane and do accept the fact that one G is never enough, you have options. I personally have both a DW5600BB and GW5000 incoming in addition to the 5610.

Wibble, wibble.........

Plenty of choice with these! :-o I had no idea some many variants. Which is the special edition with the white writing on the strap? Life something? I want one!

As mentioned before, the DW-5600 is THE classic G-Shock with all the functions you need (except for world time maybe). If you don't play around with the illumination too much, the battery will last you many years.
    If world time, solar or a wider choice of colors is required, check out the G-5600 series. Those can be found on ebay for reasonable prices.
    A used DW-5000SL would be a good model to look for if you're interested in the screwback design and don't want to break the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Ditto.

Unadorned classless class.
    I'm with Mr Tribe and S73 on this one.

I even prefer it on the original strap. I've tried the compo bracelet but didn't find it added all that much.

My only gripe with 5600s is that they have the garden variety small buttons which can be a bit fiddly. I quite like a G-Shock but tend to go for models with slightly more friendly buttons, as once I have something with lots of functions I can't help but fiddle with 'em...

if you have small wrists then the 5600 or 5610 with adaptors is great on a 22mm 2 ring zulu or the like.
    with just over 7 1/2 wrists though the adaptors made the watch sit a touch high.

much prefer the sqaure to round g's

Quote Originally Posted by MattMM View Post
    I would concur with the approach that if you need only one, go for a positive display. GW M5610 is my choice for not having to worry about battery or timekeeping, the combi bracelet is an excellent retrofit choice, ultra comfy.

If you are clinically insane and do accept the fact that one G is never enough, you have options. I personally have both a DW5600BB and GW5000 incoming in addition to the 5610.

Wibble, wibble.........

I can't fathom the reference numbers.
    DW, GW 5600 5000...............etc
    Edit - just found This

I have the yellow bad boy, but the atomic version....absolutely love it!!!

The deed is done. One of these will shortly be arriving at the Tokyo Tokei towers ...

The catchily named DW-5600EG-9VS

NOS, Made in Thailand, Original 1545 module. I feel a cloud lifting, appreciate all the posts !

Paul

good choice paul , i belive its called the 'liberace' amongst g collectors

Now you mention it, it does have a subtle elegance reminiscent of the famous introvert.

I believe there are ways to tone it down though, should I ever tire of it's ostentatiousness ...

Paul

Apprentice
    What is the difference between:

GW5610-1ER (which seems to be the most recent and popular bog standard version; and the

GW5600J-1 (which is a few quid more on Amazon, but with no reviews, yet to my eye is more attractive due to fewer colours used)

?

5600J has slightly different display, larger digits, no simultaneous date/day of the week. Functionality otherwise is the same. If you prefer the grayer, more monochrome scheme over the more multicoloured red/white/blue surround of the 5610, then a decent shout.

Edit : the 5600 may have less multiband syncing ability - 5 instead of 6 zones, only an issue if you visit China.
    Last edited by MattMM; 3rd February 2013 at 16:57.

Apprentice
    5600J has slightly different display, larger digits, no simultaneous date/day of the week. Functionality otherwise is the same. If you prefer the grayer, more monochrome scheme over the more multicoloured red/white/blue surround of the 5610, then a decent shout.

Edit : the 5600 may have less multiband syncing ability - 5 instead of 6 zones, only an issue if you visit China.
    Thanks, that sounds like the one. I have poor reading eyes so larger digits would be a help. Unfortunately it seems this model isn't so readily available and prices higher.

Journeyman
    I have a GW-M5600-1ER coming in a couple of weeks for my birthday from my wife. Decided i need a G as i've killed yet another Seiko 5 beater. Don't know what it is with the 5's, but they just keep dying on me... Anyways, i saw the Japanese G-Shock test video on here and figure the G might just be tough enough. :)

I've come a long way since my previously posted finely argued opinion of the brand :

Paul

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    I've come a long way since my previously posted finely argued opinion of the brand :

Paul
    Are you suggesting it is, er, pants? If so, what is wrong with it?

Apprentice

I have been looking at the 5600J on amazon.com (ie. Amazon in the US) where, with shipping, it would be $86 (about £55), a whole £32 cheaper than Amazon in the UK. Even if I get done for customs, I should still be a tenner or so up.

However, would it sync with the UK time signal? Looking at the instructions suggests it only syncs in the US and Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by keiron99 View Post
    Are you suggesting it is, er, pants? If so, what is wrong with it?
    In my salad days I may have written some subtly nuanced words giving that impression ...

They are all pants. You buy one thinking this will be good. It's got a tide graph, 3 stopwatches, interplanetary radio-synch, and some big fruity buttons. I'll strap this bad boy to the wheel of my Yamaha you think, and go rally cross and then I'll boil it in my kettle before pouring it into my Aeropress, freezing it into G-Blocks of Illy flavoured gourmet ice then smash it with a lump hammer and throw the fragments from a plummeting 'plane as I parachute out wearing my Maui Jim's pausing only to take a snap ( with apologies ) on my white iPhone 4S that remember doesn't do flash and I'll post it on the Friday thread which will be renamed in honour after me and my badass G ...
    ( and so on ... )

The 5600J by the way, I don't think that will sync in Europe. Also, it is quite square and the display is set deep under the crystal. Prefer the DW personally.

Paul