closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex 16610

Craftsman

Rolex 16610

Hi guys,

a day ago i've asked about a Tag, but it already is gone (which i'm glad about btw).

I've decided on getting my first Rolex. An older sub (cheaper and more WIS than the newer one imo) or a sea dweller.
    On our local forums a gent is selling a 16610 A-series t>25 dial from 1998 with box and papers (even a receipt), which was unworn.
    I've dropped him a pm asking about how it was stored.

What if it wasn't wound the whole time. Is that really bad (almost 14 years), and how much to expect for a full overhaul from Rolex.

And the main question, for an unword a-series t>25 dial 16610 from 1998 how much would be a fair price?

Master
    Hi There,

There is a search function on this and every forum these days. I suggest you use it to help make an informed decision.

It does get a bit tiring people asking the same 10 questions every week.

Where to get a NATO?

Which one would you buy?

How much will a service cost me?

How much discount can I get ?

etc

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
    Hi There,

There is a search function on this and every forum these days. I suggest you use it to help make an informed decision.

It does get a bit tiring people asking the same 10 questions every week.

Where to get a NATO?

Which one would you buy?

How much will a service cost me?

How much discount can I get ?

etc
    Could you show me where is the last 16610 thread within the last 7 days, as you say there is?

I'v got a very specific question about a very specific watch and would like to get an up to date reply to be fair with the seller.
    The only thing i admit i did wrong is not add enough info in the thread name.

You've done nothing wrong chap.

Not directly relevant to your 16610 but........I bought a Tudor 79090 from 1991 a few months ago that had been sat in a safe for twenty years. Condition was almost NOS but had clearly seen no use and as a consequence the timekeeping was around -20 seconds per day. I was going to send to Rolex for a full service but instead opted for an accredited Rolex independent (Genesis in my case). The oil had dried up almost completely but this sounded worse than it was and a full service had it running without any issue and it came back to me with a clean bill of health.

Sure someone will be along shortly regarding value but the fact that it has not been wound wouldn't worry me.

Few threads over on the Rolex forums regarding servicing with RSC i.e http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=245049

Perhaps a good start might be to tell us what price it's listed at on the local forum you've seen it on (preferably giving us a Sterling equivalent given you're in Russia), or even a link to the forum itself ??

As to what if it wasn't wound the whole time - well if it was I'd argue it's not really an unworn NOS watch as it's had 14 years of wear and tear to the movement (and winding crown if it's been hand wound rather than sat on a winder) so due a service anyway, if it hasn't been wound then personally I'd want it servicing as 14 years sat on shelf is going to have displaced / dried the oils ... so price wise I'd be factoring in a service what ever response you get from the seller.

Craftsman
    Thanks guys!

The listed price is 4800 usd or around 2900 quid.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like a good price to me !!! if its all in tact and NOS

Quote Originally Posted by newsboy View Post
    Sounds like a good price to me !!! if its all in tact and NOS
    Yes, sounds a very keen price for a mint full set 16610 - if you can get a good price movement service it would be a great buy - if you have to pay £430, perhaps not so great - that said it would still be a good buy imo.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Yeah, that's what i think also.

The only problem is the seller - he's kind of weird in communication.

I've asked him all important questions in a pm.
    He replied by asking my e-mail address. And that's it.

I know the rule 'buy the seller', and this situation disappoints me a bit.

We'll see

Craftsman
    I've received the pics from the seeler:

They're pretty high res, so i'd really appreciate it if someone would take a look at them and give their conclusion.
    I feel a bit worried about the bracelet, it looks kind of rattly/stretched out.

Here's the archive with high res pics:

http://webfile.ru/6251359

Don't worry about the domain, I use it all the time.

Use the right button to download (slower, but without their own software which you don't need).
    Here's a pic of it:

http://clip2net.com/s/2ztkJ

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by MzM View Post
    I've received the pics from the seeler:

They're pretty high res, so i'd really appreciate it if someone would take a look at them and give their conclusion.
    I feel a bit worried about the bracelet, it looks kind of rattly/stretched out.

Here's the archive with high res pics:

http://webfile.ru/6251359

Don't worry about the domain, I use it all the time.

Use the right button to download (slower, but without their own software which you don't need).
    Here's a pic of it:

http://clip2net.com/s/2ztkJ

Thank you!
    Can't see the pictures (AV software is blocking it - any chance of uploading the photos direct to this thread?) but bear in mind the bracelet will have a little "give" in it but should not appear stretched if it's NOS. If it is stretched then it's either not the original bracelet or the whole package isn't NOS (perhaps it's been polished and re-brushed leaving only the stretched bracelet as a give away - un-stretching a bracelet is not easy as it involves pin replacement and shims to re-hole the ovalised ones).

Craftsman
    Ok sure i'll do it through [/Img]

Won't be as high res though :(

Craftsman
    Here are the pics:

part1:

- - - Updated - - -

part2:

Nice

Great buy!

It's a tough call as the bracelet doesn't have much stretch, but IMHO it has been refinished as has the head. Photo 8 shows quite a rounded corner to the lug end and hole is a little rounded too and a lack of definition to the bezel knurling. The clasp looks like it's been polished and rebrushed as photo 9 shows quite rounded edges to the fliplok and the crown appears quite flat.

I'd be interested to hear what others think, but to me it's not NOS sat in a drawer for 14 years.

Craftsman
    On pic5 the bracelet's small locking clasp seems too much bent to me.

I think i'll pass this one, doesn't feel right and don't trust the seller also.

Thanks!

Journeyman
    NOS or not is not the question, if you like it and if you are happy with it that's the most important.