closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Inherited oldies - Opinions and Advice please

Inherited oldies - Opinions and Advice please

I very recently was handed a few watches by my wife - inherited from her late uncles recently. There are 2 Omegas and a Roamer included, without straps, and these have obviously not been looked after (or at even!) in quite a while.

It would be nice to get these cleaned up and working again, preferably to be kept in memory of the 2 old fellers (I actually got on very well with both of them as well).

So, purpose of this thread is a bit of a mix really. Any idea what models these are; hwat sort of cost I would be looking at (ballpark only of course) and would that sort of spend be worthwhile - not out to make a killing here by reselling, but equally I don't want to have to spend £500 to get a £50 watch working either!

Photos to follow shortly, once I work out the process of uploading from photobucket.

Watch 1: 70's (I think?) Seamaster

Quite a chunky watch this. The winder pulls out but won't move the hands at all. Strangely enough though, the second hand starts going as soon as you move the watch!

I have tried to open the back - feels like it has been superglued!!

Oh, here is another pic which does show the face slightly differently

Watrch 2: 60's(??) Seamaster

As you can see the minute hand has come loose. Looking closely, the loose hand looks bent up at the tip as well? There is also quite a nasty scratch on the back - obviously from removing a strap.

On this watch, the winder does adjust the hour hand (but feels 'gummy'), the winder will not wind at all however.

Certainly worth getting that Seamaster (1) serviced and the crystal (which looks original) polished.

They are a nice chunky model with a sparkle type dial so always fetch a decent price.

Got one here myself.

They also did a chronometer version.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Roamer Superking

The final watch in this lot. I know nothing about Roamer as a brand whatsoever. Is it at all desireable even?

This is a gold watch as opposed to the other 2 being steel. Amazingly, this one also winds, resets and runs! To the best of my knowledge, this watch hasn't seen daylight in 30 - 40 years?

As you can no doubt see, all 3 watches looked like they were used to block waste pipes or something - absolutely filthy. I thought I would start documenting them in their received condition. I'll try and give them a bit of a gently clean now, but am not expecting to dislodge much of the accumulated crud very easily! Guess some disinfectant wouldn't go amiss either!

Wish me luck

Master
    First one is a belter, I've had a couple of those models myself and they wear very well (40mm case?)

Are you the same Packrat from t'other side?
    If so, have a word with Deco - he snagged one of these on e.bay last year for about £50 and did a top budget restoration job on it.
    (now I think on, it might have been DickBrowne who did the movement)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Certainly worth getting that Seamaster (1) serviced and the crystal (which looks original) polished.

They are a nice chunky model with a sparkle type dial so always fetch a decent price.

Got one here myself.

They also did a chronometer version.
    Cheers Neil

Thanks for the input. And after a closer look you're right, that is an Omega horseshoe on the glass. Never even thought of looking for that!

Both of the Omega watches are worth getting sorted. The Roamer isn't, from a financial viewpoint, so only really worth doing if it has any sentimental value.

Cheers

Foggy

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    First one is a belter, I've had a couple of those models myself and they wear very well (40mm case?)

Are you the same Packrat from t'other side?
    If so, have a word with Deco - he snagged one of these on e.bay last year for about £50 and did a top budget restoration job on it.
    (now I think on, it might have been DickBrowne who did the movement)
    Cheers Kev - yep, same little rattie bugger!

I have put this up over there as well, so I look forward to the comments then.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    Both of the Omega watches are worth getting sorted. The Roamer isn't, from a financial viewpoint, so only really worth doing if it has any sentimental value.

Cheers

Foggy

That was kind of what I assumed really, and pretty much mirrors my personal inclination anyway! I like Omega's and I don't know Roamers, so guess where the money will go then! Fortunately, no-one seems too sure where the Roamer fits into the picture, so I think I'll get away with that without 'input'.

the roamer looks nice

Grand Master
    I`d be interested in restoring these, particularly the Omegas. I`ve got recent 'form' for this type of work! However I`m still busy working through a backlog of jobs and I have a few more booked in for January. Possibly could be interested in buying the Omegas for restoration too.

If the OP drops me a PM I'll try and give more advice re possible costs etc.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 2nd December 2012 at 18:40.

Master
    The Omega's are worth spending a few quid on

The Roamer would be classed as BER, but it should respond well to a bit of home polishing. Some wet & dry, a dash of elbow grease and brasso, and you may be surprised with the results YOU can obtain by your own efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    The Omega's are worth spending a few quid on

The Roamer would be classed as BER, but it should respond well to a bit of home polishing. Some wet & dry, a dash of elbow grease and brasso, and you may be surprised with the results YOU can obtain by your own efforts.

BER = beyond economic repair I guess? (Only thing that seems to fit )

I agree, that was the only one I had considered really trying much cleaning up on. The other 2 would get a basic clean at best (by me that is!). I have started discussions already on having the Omegas looked at within this parish.

Is the roamed an issued watch? Seeing that MOD number on the back.

Was one of the uncles in the forces? It may have quite a story to it if it was.

Quote Originally Posted by adesmith View Post

Neither of the uncles was in the forces, although her dad was. As none of the women left ever paid attention to worthless things like watches no-one is sure who it belonged to. So it might have a connection... Must admit I thought of that briefly, then assumed the mod. stood for model number.

Depending on age, that Roamer may have a manufacture movement. Someone around here is a bit of a Roamer expert (or at least very knowledgeable). A search might help.

Regardless, it is probably BER anyways.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by packrat View Post
    As you can see the minute hand has come loose. Looking closely, the loose hand looks bent up at the tip as well? There is also quite a nasty scratch on the back - obviously from removing a strap.

On this watch, the winder does adjust the hour hand (but feels 'gummy'), the winder will not wind at all however.

Are you sure that the minute hand isn't upside down and bent down at the tip - the way it's supposed to be?

Inherited oldies - Opinions and Advice please

Quote Originally Posted by adesmith View Post

MODel number I think, certainly not issued.

Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    Are you sure that the minute hand isn't upside down and bent down at the tip - the way it's supposed to be?

Could be! I didn't realise minute hands were meant to be bent on the end. I haven't got anywhere near opening this watch - and don't think I am going to be. The back on the 2 seamasters just don't budge.

Quote Originally Posted by packrat View Post
    Could be! I didn't realise minute hands were meant to be bent on the end. I haven't got anywhere near opening this watch - and don't think I am going to be. The back on the 2 seamasters just don't budge.

Tom is correct, that minute hand is definitely upside down, the dial is a concaved type, the hands were bent to follow the contour..

John

Forgot to say, The first Omega and the Roamer crystals will polish up nicely with brasso or some similar abrasive metal polish but first the heavy scratches will need to be rubbed away with fine wet and dry paper or emery cloth (400 grit will do) then the polish will bring them up like new!!

The second Omega would benefit from a new crystal as there are stress cracks it though you could give it the same treatment as the other two but at certain angles, the cracks will be noticable..

Must say, I think the Roamer is a lovely watch and certainly worth a good polish

Cheers, John

Grand Master
    i'd certainly get both those Omegas sorted, the top on in particulat is a very good quality watch. i can also vouch for Pauls work (walkerwek1958)heres a link to a restoration he did for me...
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...oration+tissot

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I`d be interested in restoring these, particularly the Omegas. I`ve got recent 'form' for this type of work! However I`m still busy working through a backlog of jobs and I have a few more booked in for January. Possibly could be interested in buying the Omegas for restoration too.

If the OP drops me a PM I'll try and give more advice re possible costs etc.

Paul
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Looking at the Omega's, I would definitely say they were worth sorting - the first one should sport a 565 (or derivative of) movement. The final "pull" on the stem actually quick-sets the date, it doesn't adjust the hands. The hand-setting position is the first click-out. That the date/day is half-set leads me to believe that the date-set is half-way through the process (supported by the time on the dial), but I don't think quick-setting will affect anything on this movement whilst the movement is at that stage.

The second Omega probably runs a cal 168 (or derivative) movement. It sounds like it just needs a bit of a de-gum and a lube, from the sound of it, the winding gear is a little sticky. That could be down to rust, but parts are relatively easy to find for these movements, so it shouldn't be too hard to resolve.

A service and a little cosmetic work on both of those would see them quickly returned to good usable condition - I've worked on both movements and watch styles, and they are good solid workhorses.

Can't help with the Roamer, I'm afraid

I can thoroughly recommend Paul's Walker to carry out the work - he's got a great reputation on the forum

Quote Originally Posted by dickbrowne View Post

The second Omega probably runs a cal 168 (or derivative) movement.
    268?

I realise probably a typo.
    Cheers,
    Neil.