closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: First Hummer - thoughts

First Hummer - thoughts

This morning the postman delivered a little parcel from keitht (our very own authority on hummers) and inside was this little beauty:

I'm a strictly mechanical watch man, no quartz watches here and I've not had a hummer before but really wanted to try one. I was not sure how I would get on with it but my initial thoughts were as follows.

First of all the first thing I did was hold it up to my ear to hear the little tuning fork do its business. What a lovely little sound it makes. It is almost like the low background electronic hum that you get from transformers and stuff. It is most lovely. Hummmmmmmmmmm

After that I thought I'd have a look at this thing I had just bought. The dial is stunning with a quite mesmerising texture to it (it is best seen in keith's original sales post - his photos are better than mine!)

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ght=f300+omega

The dial kind of shimmers in the light and is in cracking condition for a 40 year old watch. Then we have the feature that I have fallen in love with on this watch and that is the applied hour markers, omega logo and omega wording on the dial. It just oozes quality. I was appreciating the applied markers and and dial texture with my loupe and what did I see? The little omega sign on the plexi in the middle. I wasn't expecting it and when I saw it again just shouted out to me as a watch of quality. Keith's restoration work on this is second to none. Keith, I take my hat off to you sir.

The second hand sweeps smoothly, and when I say smoothly I mean smoother than any watch I own. Not like any of my automatics which if you look carefully jitter slightly, this thing is as smooth as a silky negligee slipping down over Keira Knightley's... anyway... I digress. That seconds hand is smooth as you could imagine (i do my fair share of imagining ).

The next thing that I was unsure I'd get on with was the date function. I only have one watch with a date (my Seamaster Prof) and I usually avoid dates. But I have realised why, I avoid them because i hate resetting the date on a watch. My Seamaster gets worn each night at least so is always wound so no problem there. My new Hummer has a battery so there will be no need to set the date all the time. The date does not worry me at all because of this.

It is a nice size, not too big but not too small. Maybe 36-37mm width without the crown but it probably wears slightly larger because of the lug to lug length

Keith supplied the watch on a rather nice plain black leather strap which will go really well when I wear this watch with my suits (and it is a very appropriate watch to wear with a suit, classy, slightly dressy with the silver dial and rather understated), however I was having a bit of a play and tried the Di Modell Rallye with red stitching as I thought that the red stitching might make the red applied Omega logo "pop". It did the trick and I think it really suits the watch.

But - what I'd really like is brown strap with red stitching for it. Anyone got any idea where I could find one? Something similar to the Di Modell Rally??

After wearing this watch for all of 5 hours I can see it getting a great deal of wrist time and staying in the fold for a long time (I'm not a huge flipper). Whilst I like manual and automatic watches and have a (quite irrational) feel that quartz watches lack a certain soul to them I have no qualms about having a hummer, I can hear it's little song and feel a certain comfort in knowing that singing away inside is a lovely little bit of vintage electronics.

...a very happy man today.

Hi. What a lovely Omega. Glad you like it.

Am curious over your user name. Dove? Peerless? Warwick? Herald? GT6? I too am a very TRying person!!!!

Volvos60s60 - this explains the user name

10 years older than the Omega but still going strong

Lovely coupe, really pretty, great period colour scheme.

I also do Triumphs (TR6 at the moment) & Omegas.

Omega brand's still thriving, Triumph no more, unless you inclue ladies lingerie - still, I can always feel a tit in a Triumph!!!!!!

Master
    Lovely watch, I have a few hummers myself. The actual hum is surprisingly flat and off key somehow! And can keep you awake if you leave it on something that resonates. But it's still charming and gives them so much character. The smooth second hand is also always a pleasure, there's nothing to match it other than a Spring Drive. Enjoy!

Had a little more time to get a better shot...

Hummers are great. I flipped loads of watches this year (mechanical + LED) and bought a Speedsonic in poor condition from auction, sent it to STS for the works, and now have one of the best looking and most interesting watches I have ever come across. Trying to explain the tuning fork to the average person in the street can bit can be tedious, but I really like the fact that for a brief period this technology made the Speedsonic the most expensive item in the Omega catalogue above the Ploprof etc. If only second hand values could reflect that tomorrow!

Interesting that Triumphs get a mention as I had a TR6 a while back. Maybe it's the slight quirkiness?

Master
    I used to like putting mine on different surfaces (table, radiator etc) and then putting my ear to them to see what different sounds it would make. I don't get out much.

When I had half a dozen hummers in a drawer in the bedroom Mrs. Frog complained that a funny noise kept her awake - strangely enough the sound disappeared when I moved the watches.
    I drive Alfas, Fiats and MGs so no link apart from madness.

Nice one!
    Enjoy!