closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mince pie favourites

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Purely in the interests of scientific research I have this afternoon selflessly undertaken a comparison test between Mr Kipling's (which proudly proclaims to be "Britain's favourite mince pie") and Mr Heston Bloominghell's Puff Pastry Mince Pies with Pine Sugar Dusting.

My conclusion is that Mr Bloominghell's mince pies are nicer than Mr Kipling's.

Mince pies can be improved if accompanied by a large Glenfiddich.

No need to thank me.

Regards

Ian
    Don't be so humble, standby for hero status in H&V for your selfless efforts to the cause

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    You owe it to us to publish the full results!
    Frankly I'd rather see the results of all that eating flushed than published.

Just had a tesco finest . Wasnt that impressed tbh . Pastry was ok but bit short on the filling , which was also a tad too dry
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mrw_y2k View Post
    Heston mince pies from Waitrose with the puff pastry & pine sugar dusting combo. Their epicness can be enhanced with vanilla Haagen Dazs.
    + 1. These are wonderful.

My wife just came home with some Heston Spiced Shortcrust mince pies from Waitrose, so I obviously had to try one for this thread.

Verdict - if you like lebkuchen you might like these but if you are expecting a mince pie, forget it.

PS they were reduced to £1.49 (from £3.29), so it might not only be me that is underwhelmed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trisdg View Post
    My mum's are the best. 1/2 mincemeat 1/2 cheesecake mix :-) but there's only enough for me! ;-)

" CHEESECAKE ".

I do this stuff so that you don't have to:

And a better pic of Heston's puff pastry offerings:

Shamelessly nicked from the Interweb. 30 seconds in the microwave makes them a bugger to cut for photographic purposes, as they become a bit soft, hence the stolen photo.

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

I've just returned from Lidl (I wanted to look at a coffee machine at £39.99) where I felt compelled to buy a bag of their baked in store mince pies at 4 for a quid. I'll warm them up and consume with a scoop of Cornish clotted cream with brandy butter and report back.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    They're a complete rip-off but I quite like the ones in Costa Coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I've just returned from Lidl (I wanted to look at a coffee machine at £39.99)
    Eddie
    Eddie,

I have had this machine mentioned to me as doing everything a particular Delonghi does, but at a fraction of the price. I was thinking it would be pretty flimsy, what was your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by mountmusic View Post
    Eddie,

I have had this machine mentioned to me as doing everything a particular Delongh does, but at a fraction of the price. I was thinking it would be pretty flimsy, what was your opinion?
    That's an interesting question because I have a Delonghi machine which is less than a year old and is pumping water out underneath. Both the perforated discs are clean and it's been descaled so I don't think it's back pressure. I can't get the base plate off without buying some hex or star driver bits but I suspect the clip on the water pipe needs tightening. My brother will sort it.

As for the Lidl machine, it looks great value for money.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Mrs A makes her own mincemeat and the mince pies are to die for. You can keep your shop bought offerings as nothing even comes close.

That's an interesting question because I have a Delonghi machine which is less than a year old and is pumping water out underneath. Both the perforated discs are clean and it's been descaled so I don't think it's back pressure. I can't get the base plate off without buying some hex or star driver bits but I suspect the clip on the water pipe needs tightening. My brother will sort it.

As for the Lidl machine, it looks great value for money.

Eddie
    Thanks, I will have to go and have a look then.

Sorry to hear about your Delonghi, but surely it is still under warranty - or would it be too much hassle to return?

or would it be too much hassle to return?
    This :-(.

Eddie

I've just returned from Lidl (I wanted to look at a coffee machine at £39.99) where I felt compelled to buy a bag of their baked in store mince pies at 4 for a quid. I'll warm them up and consume with a scoop of Cornish clotted cream with brandy butter and report back.

Eddie
    Never seen an in store bakery at any Lidl (admittedly just a few) I've visited.

just sampled a tesco christmas mince pie and didnt really enjoy it :-(
    and thanks to this thread it now looks like i am off to waitrose to buy some more mince pies ...

Quote Originally Posted by trisdg View Post
    My mum's are the best. 1/2 mincemeat 1/2 cheesecake mix :-) but there's only enough for me! ;-)
    Now this sounds very interesting. Any chance of a recipe?

Matt

Re: Mince pie favourites

Quote Originally Posted by Matt London View Post
    Now this sounds very interesting. Any chance of a recipe?

Matt
    I'll see what I can do ;-)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Heston spicy open ones from Waitrose with mandarin dusting sugar best I have tasted in a long time.
    Just tried my first one of these, think they may even beat his puff pastry / pine sugar ones......

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    Co-Op Finest (or whatever). Mincier than Dale Winton.
    Deffo this, just done a box in mi sen!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    Co-Op Finest (or whatever). Mincier than Dale Winton.
    Deffo this, just done a box in mi sen!!

Craftsman

I've just eaten a sugar topped one, you can see it at the back with some filling bursting through the lid!

Step one: Buy mince pies
    Step two: Zap in microwave
    Step three: Carefully remove pie lid
    Step four: Fill pie with whiskey, single malt of your choosing
    Step five: Replace lid
    Step six: Eat over a bowl / plate in utter ecstasy / mess

:)