closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mince pie favourites

Master

Mince pie favourites

What are the best mince pies ? I'll probably get mr Kipling as usual or are there any better brands I should be looking at?
    Last edited by Karl; 27th November 2012 at 23:20.

Co-Op Finest (or whatever). Mincier than Dale Winton.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    Posted twice somehow

Usually get whatever's on offer (2 for 1 etc). Unless you want to go upmarket I'd say Tesco own are as good as Mr Kiplings.

Unusually I haven't had one yet this year. Would have had one (or two) for breakfast, tea break and perhaps supper - I'll leave them closer to Christmas this year. My father would always insist my poor mother made her own on Christmas eve (and this became a bit of a ritual). To be honest I prefered the bought ones!

Journeyman
    Heston mince pies from Waitrose with the puff pastry & pine sugar dusting combo. Their epicness can be enhanced with vanilla Haagen Dazs.

Banned
    Greggs' have got them for the past 6 years.

The ones in Sainsbury's in the clear plastic box. Four of 'em. Butter rich, not luxury or velevety smooth or anything else, just the plain normal ones. £1 a pack, I think £1.60 for two at the moment.
    "A man of little significance"

Re: Mince pie favourites

My mum's are the best. 1/2 mincemeat 1/2 cheesecake mix :-) but there's only enough for me! ;-)

Heston spicy open ones from Waitrose with mandarin dusting sugar best I have tasted in a long time.

The ones with alcohol in :D

As long as they're served with brandy butter and custard together I'm not too fussed.

Costco ones hands down

Re: Mince pie favourites

I object to mince pies on moral grounds... mince should be beef, pork or lamb - using fruit is a cruel thing to do to a man.

Aldi specially selected

If anyone's around Manchester way, try Martyn Jackson's mince pies from their shop in Gatley. I live on them between now and Christmas.

Malc

Quote Originally Posted by dowsing View Post
    Aldi specially selected

Yep +1 here, they are very good.

Quote Originally Posted by mrw_y2k View Post
    Heston mince pies from Waitrose with the puff pastry & pine sugar dusting combo. Their epicness can be enhanced with vanilla Haagen Dazs.

Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

The ones my girlfriend makes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrw_y2k View Post
    I'll give those a try

Master
    M&S Finest. Yum!

My favourite mince pie? Whichever one's in front of me.

We get ours from local Fair's: church, village, Christmas, etc. Home-made by local ladies, they invariably taste far better than any commercial manufacturer's - never underestimate the competitiveness of middle-aged ladies when it comes to baking ;-).

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Journeyman
    Tesco's puff pastry mine pies are the only ones that I eat. I hated them as a kid and never ate them for years, then I tried one of these a few years ago and it was...nice! I have since attempted to eat a Mr Kipling...but it was horrible. Might have to give these Waitrose puff pastry ones a try now :)

Craftsman
    nicest ones I ever had was when young Joyce (bless her - she was 60 if she was a day) used to bring them into work just before xmas.

But Joyce's big secret was that she used to make them with puff pastry, amazing, and add a dash of brandy to each one, just a half thimble-full.

That was 30 years ago........but they were the best I've ever had.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    Costco ones hands down
    I'd agree that Costco are the best shop bought.
    My own homemade are better though.

Quote Originally Posted by iml View Post
    The ones my girlfriend makes.
    Yes, they're very nice! ;-)

That's clear as mud then!

I'm off to WaitroseTescoMiddleagedladies'houseCostcoChurchfai rJoyceAlditrisdg'sMumAldiSainsburysGreggsiml'sgf
    Last edited by scarto; 28th November 2012 at 17:04.

I guess everyone's got their favourite pie (and people do prefer different styles) and various w/e magazine supplements etc. do reviews around Christmas of course.

Did a quick Google search and found this site http://www.pieclub.org.uk/league_table_2012.php which appears to have done some very thorough testing. Current standings in the group stages(!) put Tesco Finest at the top.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 28th November 2012 at 16:45.

My wife, as well as being hot as fook, into watches, rides a motorbike and does all the gardening, is also is a keen baker. Every year she bakes bloody hundreds of mince pies and friends we haven't seen all year suddenly appear out of the woodwork to come round and eat MY mince pies! The b'stards!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Loquacious View Post
    My wife, as well as being hot as fook, into watches, rides a motorbike and does all the gardening, is also is a keen baker. Every year she bakes bloody hundreds of mince pies and friends we haven't seen all year suddenly appear out of the woodwork to come round and eat MY mince pies! The b'stards!
    ....... and where in the world did you find one like that? Pat on the back mate!

Quite intrigued to hear Costco have good ones...seconded too....might give them a go.

Craftsman
    My wife makes great ones as well as Chrimbo Puds. Both are recipes based on Bettys Café Tea Rooms in Harrogate.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lilolee View Post
    My wife makes great ones as well as Chrimbo Puds. Both are recipes based on Bettys Café Tea Rooms in Harrogate.
    Yummm Betty's of Northallerton for me, there's none better.

Master
    " The ones in Sainsbury's in the clear plastic box. Four of 'em. Butter rich, not luxury or velevety smooth or anything else, just the plain normal ones. £1 a pack, I think £1.60 for two at the moment."

+1

Master
    Mr Kiplings appear to be filled with agricultural slurry. There's certainly no sigh of any fruit.

My mother's are undoubtedly the best in the world even if she is a bit deviant by opening up the ones she eats and tucking a bit of stilton in.

Quote Originally Posted by scarto View Post
    Quite intrigued to hear Costco have good ones...seconded too....might give them a go.
    They do have a spongy type topping but are MASSIVE . Twice the size of any other mince pie. 4 quid for 12 i think. Topped with loads of icing sugar as well

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scarto View Post
    Me too!
    SWMBO came home tonight with mince pie ice cream, we will try it later!

Lattice topped for me, as you get a better pastry/mincemeat ratio.

The ones with icing on the top do offer another level of sugar rush too! but technically not a mince pie, probably.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Me too!
    SWMBO came home tonight with mince pie ice cream, we will try it later!

Ok, tried it for the first and LAST time. (Tesco 'Finest') A fairly interesting taste for the first few seconds, then a cloying floury aftertaste kicks in which lingers on the palate.

Ugh, not for me or SWMBO or mini SWMBO!
    Last edited by KavKav; 29th November 2012 at 09:01.

Liz bought some from Aldi yesterday - very good.

Rod

The ones I get when I go to other people's house, as I know all mine are safe and sound at home...

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Ok, tried it for the first and LAST time. (Tesco 'Finest') A fairly interesting taste for the first few seconds, then a cloying floury aftertaste kicks in which lingers on the palate.

Ugh, not for me or SWMBO or mini SWMBO!
    I second that, I had some Sainsburys mince pie ice cream thinking it would be nice and it was awful. I ended up chucking it away.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    Costco ones hands down
    +1

Certainly not the first time I've heard this, colleagues always bring big trays of them into work during the festive season and it's like feeding time at the zoo!

Purely in the interests of scientific research I have this afternoon selflessly undertaken a comparison test between Mr Kipling's (which proudly proclaims to be "Britain's favourite mince pie") and Mr Heston Bloominghell's Puff Pastry Mince Pies with Pine Sugar Dusting.

My conclusion is that Mr Bloominghell's mince pies are nicer than Mr Kipling's.

Mince pies can be improved if accompanied by a large Glenfiddich.

No need to thank me.

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master
    If Heston's mince pies are anything like his Hidden Orange Christmas Pudding that people were once paying a small fortune for on eBay then Waitrose can keep 'em, we tried the latter last year and it was disgusting!

Currently undertaking extensive mince pie taste testing at work with our 11 o'clock cups of tea. So far we have tried 12 varieties and the M&S ones are coming out top.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post

My mother's are undoubtedly the best in the world even if she is a bit deviant by opening up the ones she eats and tucking a bit of stilton in.
    Your mother is a woman of rare taste and discernment!

Craftsman
    'The Crusty Cob Shop' is a small chain of bakers in Doncaster. They have a range of 5 mince pies.
    Pastry lid with sugar.
    Pastry lid with icing sugar.
    Viennese topped.
    Brandy butter and shortbread star topped.
    Icing topped.
    They're all fab and when I'm working in Doncaster centre they get my pennies. Cup of tea and a mince pie, yum.

Master
    Can't stand the bloody things - work of the devil I tell you.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    Currently undertaking extensive mince pie taste testing at work with our 11 o'clock cups of tea. So far we have tried 12 varieties and the M&S ones are coming out top.

You owe it to us to publish the full results!