closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolex Explorer 214270 - Review and impressions...

An excellent and very well written review.

I have one of these at the moment, and I have been very pleasantly surprised by it - an extremely nice watch by any definition.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Apprentice
    Thank you for this review. It helped me a lot in my decision process. The "too short" looking hands kept me from getting this watch for a long time. Having it on my wrist now shows me the difference between photos and the real thing.
    It is a very well executed watch and I enjoy it every day.
    Enjoy yours.

Excellent review. Would like one myself; better start saving.

Journeyman
    Let me add my two cents that this is not only a lovely watch, but it's a fine review. I appreciate you taking the time to do it.

Craftsman
    Anybody thinking of buying an Explorer will enjoy reading this informative article.

Very well put together, and nice pics too.

Rob......

Journeyman
    I picked mine up on Saturday from Fraser Hart in Milton Keynes and wow what a service they provided; coffee, chocolates and champagne were all served up and they polished our wedding and other rings for us.

They were clearly watch enthusiasts and knew their stuff. I love the watch unreservedly having previously bought an Omega PO Chrono and returned it due to repeated stopping and then a Rolex GMT "Coke" on Jubilee bracelet which also had to go back due to undisclosed damage I was becoming disillusioned with the whole process.

Fraser Hart restored my faith and I will be using them as my jeweller from now on, they also said they would put my Nato strap on it for me for free as and when I want to trial it.

Charlie

Apprentice
    Nice service, champagne and chocolate! Think they do that for all their Submariner clients, too? ;)

Great review, all Rolex guys must be very happy reading it, and also looking at the pics. Many thanks!

Journeyman
    Simply stunning.

Definitely on the 'list'.

Master
    Gorgeous watch. The fliplock is a fantastic innovation as well.

A great review of great watch. Thanks for taking the time.

Great review - thanks!

Master
    Not only a first class, very comprehensive review but superb photography to match. Well done.

Rob

Craftsman
    Picked my Explorer II up this week & can't take my eyes away from it since :)

Absolutly beautiful watch & with Polar white dial just has to be seen to be fully appreciated.

Craftsman
    Great review.

Master
    Had one for a few weeks now and its become my daily wearer.

Swapped from the bracelet to this today:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post

Looks great - mine hasn't been off the bracelet since I've had it, (other than a nato test on day one - NO!)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post

Looks way better on the leather strap. A nice, elegant and understated watch. Like it.

Master
    Aye cheers, a bit of variety in the summer!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSimba
    Absolutly beautiful watch & with Polar white dial just has to be seen to be fully appreciated.

This has to be one of the nicest photos I've seen of the Exp II, I'm often a bit torn about how it looks, but here it's brilliant.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherealShade View Post
    This has to be one of the nicest photos I've seen of the Exp II, I'm often a bit torn about how it looks, but here it's brilliant.
    Me too never been a massive fan but the White is rely starting to appeal

Thank you for a well written, comprehensive and factual review, I particularly like your personal comments on the controversial aspects of the watch and the fantastic photography.

The new 39mm Explorer is a strange and unusual watch, it is part of a much loved line of watches stretching back over fifty years, in that period the basic design, style and size has largely remained the same. The 39mm Explorer bucks the trend, it is one of Rolex sports range of watches that can be worn when dressed casually but is one of those rare beasts that blurs the lines between sport, tool, casual and dress, the 39mm Explorer is a watch that is equally at home under the cuff of a shirt or in evening wear.

Because of the size and mixed messages I'd always discounted the 39mm as a watch that I'd ever own, in pictures it looks like most modern Rolexes do to me; an oversized version of the classic and beautiful watch that Rolex used to make.

That was until a few weeks ago, I happened to be in a town that had a Rolex stockist so had take some time out to see what watches they had in stock. The highlight of the window display and the watch that caught my eye was the 116610LV Submariner (aka Hulk), wow! Next to it was the 39mm Explorer, as much as I was attracted to the Sub the watch that was eventually drew my eye was the Explorer, the pictures can't seem to capture the real life appearance as it looks far better in the flesh than it does on film.

Fast forward a few weeks and I am now the proud owner of a 39mm Explorer. It takes a bit of getting used to, the weight is more than most other older Rolex watches that I own but is well balanced. The size is also an enigma, it's 39mm but with the big solid oyster case seems larger. The quality of the bracelet is second to none, normally I wear my watches a little bit loose so haven't used the extension link but long term I may adjust the bracelet length and start to use the extension, especially on these hot summer days when the wrist swells.

One thing I'm finding unusual, the lume is supposed to be blue, mine is more of a green with possibly a hint of blue, it never really turns into a proper blue no matter how much sunlight it is exposed to.

If you are looking for an Explorer the 1016, 14270, 114270 models offer the traditional size but do not discount the 214270 like I did, it is every bit an Explorer just like those models and really beautiful in the flesh.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherealShade View Post
    Thankyou! :)

In the metal the watch looks truly amazing!

I've joined the Exp 1 club and after wearing mine for a couple of weeks, even discounting the honeymoon phase, I'm mightily impressed with the watch.

The only thing I would add to Rob's excellent review, is that within the clasp there are three points where on the Easylink side, like hidden micro-adjustment points. This means that it's easy to find the prefect fit and if you do need a little extra room you can readily deploy the Easylink.

The timekeeping is +2 a day which is great as that what my Sub ran at until very recently - it's about to go in for a service.

So thanks again to Rob for tipping me over the edge, eventually!

Cheers

David

Craftsman
    Thanks for taking the time to write a really comprehensive review and taking many pictures (more on the flickr site).

Think the watch looks better on the thick brown leather strap rather than the green nato, as an alternative to the bracelet.

If I was to buy a Rolex always assumed it would be the Submariner, however, I think there is something understated about the explorer and that would be the first Rolex I would now buy.

Apprentice
    Just wanted to say really great writeup and review of the watch. You're pictures are really well taken and it shows.

Thanks! Oh and this is my first post as I've just joined the forum :)
    Last edited by Savage; 13th October 2014 at 00:13.

Journeyman
    Nice looking watch, I've only ever really looked at the Explorer II, but that is a very nice piece.

Journeyman
    great review and nice watch thanks for sharing

Master
    Very comprehensive review of a fantastic watch, thanks.

After owning many other Rolex watches, I have really come around towards this one...thanks for posting your review.

Craftsman
    Great review! Thanks for taking the time to do this 👍

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSimba View Post
    Picked my Explorer II up this week & can't take my eyes away from it since :)

Very very nice!

Great review and pic's-I have the Date just 2- 41mm and I don't want to part with it and the 39mm Explorer is to close on the style in my opinion, if I win the Lotto I will get one(and many others) enjoy

As mentioned when I posted above in September, three weeks after I bought it, my Explorer was running at about +2 a day.

I set it 10 seconds behind time, when the clocks changed on 26th October and checking it today, 26 days later, it's 3 seconds ahead, so that's a rate of +0.5s per day. I like that. :)

Journeyman
    A question for the OP please. This watch has been on my wishlist for a while and as Christmas is around the corner a shopping spree may be required, so based on your ownership over the last few months have there been any negative issues?

thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by anoetic View Post
    A question for the OP please. This watch has been on my wishlist for a while and as Christmas is around the corner a shopping spree may be required, so based on your ownership over the last few months have there been any negative issues?

thanks
    Two issues of note in the two years I've owned the 214270, one minor and one more serious...

Minor issue - a couple of months ago the Explorer started keeping time a little erratically. I took it into Mallorys in Bath, (Rolex AD) watch was still under Warranty, they sent it off for repair and came back good as new in a couple of weeks.

More serious issue - since I've owned the Explorer no other watch can keep it off my wrist, I've sold practically every other watch I've owned and it has killed my broader interest in watches stone dead!

I've had a lot of watches covering the entire spectrum of cost / style / manufacturer and nothing else had this effect - be warned.

:)

Rob

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by AIDM View Post
    Two issues of note in the two years I've owned the 214270, one minor and one more serious...

Minor issue - a couple of months ago the Explorer started keeping time a little erratically. I took it into Mallorys in Bath, (Rolex AD) watch was still under Warranty, they sent it off for repair and came back good as new in a couple of weeks.

More serious issue - since I've owned the Explorer no other watch can keep it off my wrist, I've sold practically every other watch I've owned and it has killed my broader interest in watches stone dead!

I've had a lot of watches covering the entire spectrum of cost / style / manufacturer and nothing else had this effect - be warned.

:)

Rob
    Can I ask what it weighs? Weight is turning into a big thing with me a watches - particularly those best worn on a steel bracelet. I'm interested in this one or the blue Oyster Perpetual - each still looks like a Rolex should.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetwater View Post
    Can I ask what it weighs? Weight is turning into a big thing with me a watches - particularly those best worn on a steel bracelet
    I think the way the watch sits affects the wear; I don't particularly like heavy watches but find some heavy watches comfortable to wear because they sit nicely but I take your point, over the course of the day a heavy watch can become tiring. For me the Explorer is quite heavy but well balanced, however the Explorer 2 is one of my daily wearers.

Since 2012 I've tended to record the details of watches through my door (basically because I don't want to pay silly money for insurance valuations), the documentation includes a detailed description of the watches, serial numbers and the weight! Currently own three Rolex sports models

- Explorer 2 16570, Oyster lock bracelet, two links removed, 122g
    - Explorer 1 214270, Oyster lock with Easylink 5mm extension link, two links removed, 136g
    - Sea Dweller, 16600, Oyster flip lock bracelet, two links removed, 146g

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by christech81 View Post
    I think the way the watch sits affects the wear; I don't particularly like heavy watches but find some heavy watches comfortable to wear because they sit nicely but I take your point, over the course of the day a heavy watch can become tiring. For me the Explorer is quite heavy but well balanced, however the Explorer 2 is one of my daily wearers.

Since 2012 I've tended to record the details of watches through my door (basically because I don't want to pay silly money for insurance valuations), the documentation includes a detailed description of the watches, serial numbers and the weight! Currently own three Rolex sports models

- Explorer 2 16570, Oyster lock bracelet, two links removed, 122g
    - Explorer 1 214270, Oyster lock with Easylink 5mm extension link, two links removed, 136g
    - Sea Dweller, 16600, Oyster flip lock bracelet, two links removed, 146g
    That is fantastic info - thanks. 136g is quite reasonable if the bracelet fit is even half decent.

Master
    These reviews are great, have to say that Explorer 2 is peachy, can see why you bought that.

Great review Rob.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Great review Rob.
    Tis indeed a very nice review. I'm very much NOT a Rolex fan though did own a 5513 many years ago ... but the 39mm Explorer seems to be to be by far the best in the line these days. I've been heading towards a Tudor Heritage Ranger but this has rather got me thinking.

Journeyman
    I have recently acquired a 214270 and found your review very useful while making the choice. I love the watch and find it hard to wear anything else.

Master
    great review. Always wanted an explorer II but this has me thinking that not having a date might not be that bad after all...

Journeyman

Excellent review,

and very useful for me as not a fan of Rolex, thank-you.

Apprentice
    I am amazed at this review that was written 2.5 years ago and yet still generating do much interest. This is by far one of the best review, if not the best of this watch.
    I am the proud owner of this watch and all I can say is that it grows on you. When it is not on my wrist, there's a certain yearning for it.
    Keeps excellent time and is really a gorgeous watch. Doesn't scream out loud, but sings a melodious tune.,if you get what I mean ;)

Journeyman
    Interesting read as I'm currently saving for a explorer

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would just add here, to what has become one of the forum's most useful Explorer repositories.

Today is this year's summer in Edinburgh. It's 20C outside and 10 degrees hotter in work. So I've deployed the clasp's Easylink adjustment for the first time in anger.

Ahhh, that's better!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by AIDM View Post

since I've owned the Explorer no other watch can keep it off my wrist, I've sold practically every other watch I've owned and it has killed my broader interest in watches stone dead!
    Possibly the best recommendation for a watch I've read!

Journeyman
    Interesting thread. I acquired my 214270 in April and have worn nothing else since then. Love the watch.