closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Building a shed/office from pallets: Part 2

Building a shed/office from pallets: Part 2

In the last couple of weeks I've been finishing off the outside and painting inside and out. The wiring for all the electrics (sockets and lights) is all done and I'm waiting on my friend to come and put sub-board up and link it to the house. I've built my own desk and book case (from bits of pallets - no surprise there!) and put up the dart board (most important :)). I've installed a wireless repeater in the house (took all of 30sec) and this has given me good wifi in the shed.

I'm really pleased with the result (see below). It has given me a functional place to work from home (I'm spend a lot of time writing for my job) and also a place to practise darts (that I enjoy!). The total cost? Under £800. Plywood was the biggest single cost (around £450). Other wood was around £50 from a builder's merchant. Felt, tar, screws, nails, damp proof membrane, paint, window, etc but nothing else major.

All in all, the project has been great fun. I have learnt a lot and I'm now confident about planning a conversion of our garage into a living space. Having a skilful father-in-law really help as my DIY skills were fairly basic. But, the original planning really paid off and I learnt to improvise along the way too.

I hope you have found this and the previous thread interesting. I would encourage any of you to have a go at building using pallets!

Here's a few pictures of how things are today. There are still a few bits to do (but aren't there always?):

Last edited by jpjsavage; 26th November 2012 at 11:44.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Well, I think you have done a fine job!!
    I might have been tempted to have a fuller step outside the door though, looks like a "slip off" waiting to happen if wet to me.

Good luck with the darts!!!

Mike

That is brilliant!

I wish I could build stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Well, I think you have done a fine job!!
    I might have been tempted to have a fuller step outside the door though, looks like a "slip off" waiting to happen if wet to me.

Good luck with the darts!!!

Mike
    Cheers. Yep, point taken re the veranda bit which is just big enough to take my chair in the sunny summer months! It was more ornamental than anything else and used up the only bit of spare floor pallet. I do have a couple of other pallets spare so might do something with them in the spring. For now, there's a path leading up to it (which you can't see) and I'll just have to try and avoid slipping!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shoughie0 View Post
    That is brilliant!

I wish I could build stuff like that.
    Thanks. TBH, if I can do it with a bit of help then I'm sure you could too!

Looks great, very ingenious to use pallets!

Love to have a shed like that - thanks for posting.

Clever way to build into the odd-shaped corner, big round of applause

Blog Entries
    That's great. Well done - enjoy!

That's brilliant, well done

Love the colour too.

Cheers,
    Gary

Excellent job!

You should get George Clarke to feature you in his "Small Spaces" programme!

Craftsman
    Great idea, well executed.

That's a very impressive shed! It looks great, and how clever to build it from pallets.

I have been inspired by this thread, I mean how hard can it be?

Here's my effort:

I think my spirit level may be a bit faulty though. If anyone wants advice as to how I did it, feel free to pm me.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Well done from me too; looks a very good job and you'd never have found a ready-made one that fits like that!

What was the problem painting the plywood though?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Very cool. Off to find part 1 now.

Darned Winters around here add to the challenge of a little office building....

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Well done from me too; looks a very good job and you'd never have found a ready-made one that fits like that!

What was the problem painting the plywood though?

R
    Thanks. It was mainly that the interior ply wasn't brilliant quality and so the finish wasn't quite as good as I had hoped. Also, after painting around 20 sheets of 8x4 ply between 2 and 3 times each the novelty began to wear off! I didn't bother sealing it so the first coat seaped in quite a bit. Still, at least it is well coated and I shouldn't have to do it again for a while. And, on the postivie side, I used up loads of old paint I had lying around in the garage.

Master

Superb!

That is superb and quite inspirational too.

We need more of this, thanks for posting it, bookmarked for the day I get the time and energy.

Fantastic shed, can you come and sort mine
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Master
    Absolutely brilliant - I can't believe that's a self build, excellent job!

Master
    Well done.

I keep thinking about building a summerhouse, but with a shed of 8 x 10, and a log cabin of 17 x 10 as well, I think my wife would kill me - even though it would not be seen from the house.

Great shed/Office! Actually I was a bit disappointed when I went to the 'Boy's room (formally Sheds)' as I expected to see posts like this!

What an excellent project. My father lives in a house at the back of a parade of shops and has an arrangement to take all of their spare pallets (delivery drivers are usually anxious to get rid and the shops are not typically keen to hang onto them) and he uses them mostly for free firewood. So far he has made a small tool cupboard for Mum's garden tools out of pallets and a few ornamental features such as planters etc. I must show him this thread when I see him next; he doesn't need a shed as he has already converted the garage and he doesn't play darts.....
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Looks brilliant. I admire anyone that can do that sort of thing as my ability to join two bits of wood is somewhere North of "dire"!

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. Glad you like it. Pallets come highly recommended as a building material!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    Well done.

I keep thinking about building a summerhouse, but with a shed of 8 x 10, and a log cabin of 17 x 10 as well, I think my wife would kill me - even though it would not be seen from the house.
    Thinking about a log cabin out of pallets for a home cinema system!

Re: Building a shed/office from pallets: Part 2

Great job!

Blog Entries
    Well impressed and thanks for sharing!

A fantastic result looks the biz well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    A fantastic result looks the biz well done.
    Thanks very much! Pleased to say that the lights have been fitted this evening. So, once the power is all connected it'll be lit up like the Starship Enterprise!