closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Gutted: lost my 2254.50. Bloody springbars :-(

Gutted: lost my 2254.50. Bloody springbars :-(

Well I'm absolutely disgusted with myself now. Whilst Xmas shopping in town it looks like a springbar has snapped and my newish 2254 dropped off.

I retraced my steps, but obviously some kind soul has picked it up and kept it. Reason I'm annoyed is that I kind of got that feeling that something wasn't right, but kept on trudging around town laden down with shopping - I bet if I'd have stopped sooner, I'd have realized and found a slightly scratched Omega on the floor - and just had to invest £1.50 in a new springbar.

Now my big quandry: do I get another one? If I do, then I'm going to have to get rid of my Superocean to pay for it, and I'm not too certain which I liked better (thus resulting in another frenzy of flipping.)

Aaargh! Just what I needed before Xmas :-(

Do springbars fail very often? I've certainly never encountered this before.

they dont fail often at all. Sometimes if the bracelet is tight on your wrist and your hand is knocked it can cause one to pop.

Very sorry to hear this, Russ :cry:

Grand Master
    Sorry to hear that, does your household insurance cover it?

I lost a 5513 Submariner in similar circumstances a couple of years ago, no idea if the spring bar failed, but quite possibly. Checked my wrist for the time when parking, checked my wrist again an hour or so later only to find it bare! Mine was not covered by insurance as I had only received it a few hours earlier & had not informed my insurance company of the newbie!

I'd also check with your local constabulary as, you never know, someone may have handed it in. I did likewise with mine, but, alas, mine found a new home, without (for a change) any flipping on my part!

/vince ..
    /vince ..

Bugger!

Sorry to hear. :cry:

Never had a spring bar to fail. So I think it is more likely that somebody managed to steal it of your wrist, while you were in town during a X-mas shopping with lots of people around. I would report it stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceR
    Sorry to hear that, does your household insurance cover it?

I lost a 5513 Submariner in similar circumstances a couple of years ago, no idea if the spring bar failed, but quite possibly. Checked my wrist for the time when parking, checked my wrist again an hour or so later only to find it bare! Mine was not covered by insurance as I had only received it a few hours earlier & had not informed my insurance company of the newbie!

I'd also check with your local constabulary as, you never know, someone may have handed it in. I did likewise with mine, but, alas, mine found a new home, without (for a change) any flipping on my part!

/vince ..
    Ooh nasty, if it had been a Sub I think I'd have blown a blood vessel. And I thought losing my Omega was bad!

Unsurprisingly, the police haven't had it handed in (this was in Leeds after all).

No chance of insurance either - I don't have the original receipt and received it in a trade anyway. Also, I've already claimed on my house insurance this year so it won't be worth it for me to claim again.

Bummer.

I guess my worry about flipping is because in a straight race I really couldn't decide whether I like my Superocean or SMP better (I prefer the Superocean dial, but the thinner/lighter SMP floats my boat) . I think it's just nagging me now that I had an SMP and now I don't.

I should really entitle this thread : SMP or Superocean?

Master
    Sorry to hear that Jay, I had a close call at the weekend. I was wearing my GMT-Master and when I took it off I noticed that one end of one spring bar was not engaged properly, most probably been like that since I changed from Oyster to Jubilee bracelet.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaypeeaitch
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceR
    I lost a 5513 Submariner in similar circumstances a couple of years ago ..
    Ooh nasty, if it had been a Sub I think I'd have blown a blood vessel. And I thought losing my Omega was bad!

Unsurprisingly, the police haven't had it handed in (this was in Leeds after all).

No chance of insurance either - I don't have the original receipt and received it in a trade anyway. Also, I've already claimed on my house insurance this year so it won't be worth it for me to claim again.

Bummer.

I guess my worry about flipping is because in a straight race I really couldn't decide whether I like my Superocean or SMP better (I prefer the Superocean dial, but the thinner/lighter SMP floats my boat) . I think it's just nagging me now that I had an SMP and now I don't.

I should really entitle this thread : SMP or Superocean?
    Wasn't too bothered about the lose of the Sub., as I was so looking forward to receiving it & then when it arrived I was so disappointed in it. It bugged me that I lost it only because I could not flip it!

I've both an SMP (Bond) & a SuperOcean (Steelfish), they are both so different, I really like them both & could not decide which to keep if I had to choose. However if you need something more dressy then flip it for another SMP .. if not then keep the SuperOcean ..

/vince ..
    /vince ..

That's gutting! :( :cry:

Nearly had that happen to me last year with a Speedmaster Racing, I'd been out and about in London on the Tube and noticed that one of the springbars wasn't properly engaged. I had to have a nice sit down afterwards, I'll tell you!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master
    Am very sorry to hear that.
    You have amd some soul very happy no doubt, doubtless they should have reported it to the authorities.
    It is an instructive example. No I am considering masking tape on the underside...or a capsule.

Best Wishes to you and that something good may befall you soon.

Sincerely,
    Pottinger :)

Wow - seems I am not alone in my springbar hassles!

There's something to be said for NATO straps, if one springbar fails, at least you still have the watch attached to the wrist. Shame there's no such thing as a dress NATO strap!

So now I will be paranoid, when leaving the house check:

1) house keys,
    2) car keys,
    3) wallet,
    4) glasses,
    5) springbars!

Thanks for your sympathies anyway chaps! See you all in the Sales Corner soon (after I've drowned my sorrows this evening anyway!)

Joe.

Sorry to hear

What a nightmare! - and it's a bit worrying to hear of others who've had experience of springbars coming adrift :shock:

Hopefully Santa will bring you a nice new watch :)

Wow - seems I am not alone in my springbar hassles!

There's something to be said for NATO straps, if one springbar fails, at least you still have the watch attached to the wrist. Shame there's no such thing as a dress NATO strap!

So now I will be paranoid, when leaving the house check:

1) house keys,
    2) car keys,
    3) wallet,
    4) glasses,
    5) springbars!

Thanks for your sympathies anyway chaps! See you all in the Sales Corner soon (after I've drowned my sorrows this evening anyway!)

Joe.
    Spectacles, testicles, wallet, & watch! ;-)

Seriously though, sorry to read of your mishap. It hurts just thinking about it. :(

I would still check at the police station which is in the locale where you lost it. You never know....

Master
    That's a good suggestions Worlok; check with the police again, at the closest stantion and perhaps even call another nearby, jic. -It could hav ebeen jandsd in at another police stn and or the holder had a return of fleeting conscience.

Best Wishes,
    Sincerely,
    Pottinger :)

Craftsman
    Tough luck indeed!
    This weekend I had a similar problem with a springbar but I was fast enough to grab the watch before it fell. But it was not an Om... but a seiko.
    This is really food for the mind. An expensive watch can be lost due to the weakest links on the bracelet: the springbars: all of them, those of the lugs and those of the clasp...

Blog Entries
    Oh damn... that's really REALLY tough. I feel for you Joe.

Craftsman
    Wear the Breitling for a while; damn fine watch and at least you won't feel guilty when wearing one over the other....you may find being a "one-watch" guy less painful in the "decision making department" :shock:

There's something to be said for NATO straps, if one springbar fails, at least you still have the watch attached to the wrist. Joe.
    A popular after-market item sold to divers is a dive computer guard.

It is formed piece of acrylic which is attached in place over the computer with velcro, and attached to it is a lanyard which slips over your wrist. The acrylic protects the watch face and the lanyard keeps hold of the computer should it come off your wrist.

Not very elegant from a dress point of view, though!
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

There's something to be said for NATO straps, if one springbar fails, at least you still have the watch attached to the wrist. Joe.
    A popular after-market item sold to divers is a dive computer guard.

It is formed piece of acrylic which is attached in place over the computer with velcro, and attached to it is a lanyard which slips over your wrist. The acrylic protects the watch face and the lanyard keeps hold of the computer should it come off your wrist.

Not very elegant from a dress point of view, though!
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Really sorry to hear about that, Joe. Fingers crossed the police station comes up with the goods.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thats a real pisser :x

If you were local I would come over and cover you drinks tab tonight :wink: I know how you feel.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Craftsman
    This is very sad. I feel for you :(

Hope the honest finder returns it...

Thomas Reid
    Sad to hear your bad news.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Re: Gutted: lost my 2254.50. Bloody springbars :-(

Well I'm absolutely disgusted with myself now. Whilst Xmas shopping in town it looks like a springbar has snapped and my newish 2254 dropped off.

Now my big quandry: do I get another one? If I do, then I'm going to have to get rid of my Superocean to pay for it, and I'm not too certain which I liked better (thus resulting in another frenzy of flipping.)
    Guys... Lets show real Christmas Spirit here and have a little fundraising so that Jaypeeaitch doesnt have to give up his Superocean for the new 2254.

What say you? Together we could make it before Christmas easily. Lets do the right thing eh? :P

Quote Originally Posted by worlok

Spectacles, testicles, wallet, & watch! ;-)

I didn't know you were religious. :roll:

I am sorry about the loss of your watch Joe. Stand strong, it's only a watch, but it must be like losing a friend. Don't get another, stick to the Breitling.

john
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Sorry to hear. :cry: I echo the drinks offer - were I nearby, a beer or scotch or two would be on me. I know were it to happen to me (god forbid), it would be like losing an old friend.

Best of luck with the local constabulary.

My friend you have my sympathy, I can't begin to imagine how you must feel. I have to say given the circumstances you're handling it all pretty well, if it were me I think I'd be inconsolable even after numerous spirit lifters.

Here's to a swift return and at the least a suitable replacement. I think I might have to have a G&T to help you with your loss know.

Cheers

Gary

Well I'm feeling a bit better now after a few sherberts last night. I don't think I will get another 2254, it'll be an excuse for me now to hold out until I find something different this time around (suggestions for something 41-42mm, flat and comfortable?)

In the cold light of day, I find I'm not really missing the watch, I'm missing the opportunity to flip the watch :-) So I guess that means I didn't actually want yet another 2254!

Thanks for all the kind thoughts, by the way.

That's the spirit Joe! :D

It's only a watch, worse things happen at sea!

I must admit I have never lost a springbar before but now you have made us all paranoid. :lol: :wink:

Just wear the SO. :)
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I have to echo Neil's comment - I have never had a springbar let go, but now I'm definitely getting twitchy about the possibility :shock: .

Sorry to hear about it; I can just imagine that 'sinking feeling' when you realised it wasn't there...

Simon

???. (suggestions for something 41-42mm, flat and comfortable?)

?????.
    Get a Japy Aquatique ... the best for the price range and best bracelet I have used. Comfortable too. There was one in the sales some days ago.

http://www.time2watch.net/japyreview.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    ......... but now you have made us all paranoid. :lol: :wink:
    Too true. :lol:

john
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Well, I'd almost got used to just having my SO, but during yet more Xmas shopping wanderings this morning I've seen (and tried on) just what would make a nice replacement.

I'm going to test myself: If I can be find my camera sometime this afternoon, you'll see the SO on the SC. If I can't find the camera easily, then I'll live with the SO.

How sad is this? Having to test to see if I should flip a watch or not :-( Perhaps I need some kind of watch agent, someone to call once a fortnight and demand I flip watch A for watch B, that way I won't have to obsess over forums and websites to see if I am really wearing 'the perfect watch' that month.

I blame all this squarely on Eddie's shoulders :lol: I only joined the forum to ask a question about a watch strap for (as I thought then) my first and only Seamaster.... then somehow I happened to flip that first Seamaster....and you know the rest.

Yeah, let's all blame Eddie :wink:

It's all your fault Eddie. Oh, and thanks a lot Crusader.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Simon

Hi Joe....bummer :( Good to see that you're taking it in your stride...best of luck choosing a suitable replacement :)

Sanjay

Craftsman
    I?m sorry to hear of your loss?

But the first thing I?d have done was contact all the local jewellery stores, watch repair market stalls, pawn shops etc. with a description and serial number. You never know someone might just walk in for a replacement spring bar or even a valuation on ?their? watch? that is if they actually realise that it is real and not some cheap fake!

None of you guys seem to be using your brains! :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by PDR
    I?m sorry to hear of your loss?

But the first thing I?d have done was contact all the local jewellery stores, watch repair market stalls, pawn shops etc. with a description and serial number. You never know someone might just walk in for a replacement spring bar or even a valuation on ?their? watch? that is if they actually realise that it is real and not some cheap fake!

Good advice. Maybe not too late to do the rounds tomorrow?
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PDR
    A one-piece nylon strap and fixed bars obviate the need to use one's brains, at least with respect to the problem discussed here. :P :D :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Durr!! Just leave your watch at home in future!

Jim :roll: