closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Taxing a car that's not in your name?

Taxing a car that's not in your name?

Hi guys

This weekend i am travelling down to my deceased parents house to get it cleared and need to bring dads car back with me to get it sold. I have the full log book still in my dads name/address and also the mot. I will sort out insurance in my name to drive it back, but as the car is currently sorned, can i get it taxed at the PO with a full log book not in my name and insurance that is?

Cheers

Brighty

Journeyman
    Shouldn't be a problem, you only need valid insurance against that vehicle and valid MOT to get road tax.

Craftsman
    NO. I would guess you might have a better chance with just the small green slip, insurance and mot, or you could try a small sub post office which sells tax.

Yep just take the green slip with the mot and insurance or you can take the whole V5 in and they will register it in your name and send it off which will put another owner on!

Cheers

Was hoping to avoid adding another owner and don't want the log book to get sent off if i'm looking to sell a week or so later. Could tear off the strip and try with just that without my details filled in i suppose?

Brighty

Master
    Sorry to hear of your loss

just my views

Officially
    Insurance - bear in mind that you should notify the insurance company that the V5 is now not in the name of the registered keeper and explain the situation to them....... they may then void the insurance.
    If so the car will have to be insured in your name and you should complete the V5 transfer procedure and re insure the vehicle

Maybe, if you want to risk it - as a temporary measure for a short journey ...... which may be not fully "kosher" but could be acceptable because of the circumstances
    Presumably you will be driving the vehicle using your insurance cover
    use the green slip - tax it - change your mind and don't sent the V5 off until you sort things out

In the circumstances, one more owner on the V5 is not going to affect the value

Car is currently not insured, so i need to get it insured in my name to be able to tax it and drive it home and for people to test drive it, i know for insurance purposes the car should be in my name, but the V5 will be in the post ;0). I know 1 more owner isn't that big a deal, i'd just have rather avoided it if possible. The main issue is that if the V5 goes off, i'll have to wait up to a month or so, from previous experiance, for it to come back to be able to sell it, which will then be Christmas and no one will be car buying, which will be a real pain. I rang the DVLA and they said the only way to tax it is to take V5, mot, my insurance to a main DVLA office and they will issue a tax disc, but take the V5 off me and get the car put in my name. Why is this so difficult. I'm gonna try at a local PO first to see if i can get away with it with just the new owner slip but not fill it in, if not i'll do as the DVLA say and just park the car up for a month while i wait for the new V5, or i may use it to commute for my last 3 weeks at work, as my diesel is being chopped in soon for a C70 T5 ready for my new closer to home job.

Brighty

Master
    I see

completed green slip
    mot
    insurance cert
    Fee

Local PO ....... if they refuse - try another and then another

you have just got the car and need to drive it

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Cheers

Was hoping to avoid adding another owner and don't want the log book to get sent off if i'm looking to sell a week or so later. Could tear off the strip and try with just that without my details filled in i suppose?

Brighty
    Yes you can do that, and tell them you have sent the V5 off to register the new owner but retain it!

Sorry to hear of your horrible news!

How far are you driving the car as you can drive to a pre-booked MOT test without tax provided the car is insured although from one to the other end of the country is probably pushing it ?

Master
    If you are the new "keeper" it must be changed into your name, even if it is for a short time. I know it's a bummer as I had the same problem with my father's car when he had to give up driving. Any future buyer should be totally OK with an extra registration in the book if you explain the situation. Take a colour photocopy of the reg book to refer to as they sometimes get lost in the re-registration process!

Craftsman

Re: Taxing a car that's not in your name?

I know it might not help, but when my father passed away we sold his car to a local dealer, it had tax mot etc and well we didn't really want to keep it around as it upset my mum.
    We took the lower price and the local dealer was a god guy that we had dealt with before
    Might be worth ringing a few local dealers to get a price, they can come to you and arrange transport.
    Sorry to hear of you loss.

Grand Master
    I was in a similar situation in 2006. My late father's car was only worth about £150; I drove it on my own insurance but never gave a thought to ownership etc. I think the car was still taxed so it made things easier.

Paul