closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Captain Albert Ball, VC DSO MC

Captain Albert Ball, VC DSO MC

Whilst in Nottingham recently, I visited the Castle which is home to the Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters (29th/45th Foot) Regimental Museum. One of the display cases holds items which relate to the WWI flying ace, Albert Ball, who was a Sherwood Forester prior to joining the Royal Flying Corps. On display is his watch, which I thought may be of interest.

Sorry for the poor quality picture, but it was taken taken through glass at an angle.

I was interested in the watch, not only because its historical connections, but also because of the separate shield. Can anybody identify the make of the watch?

I thought it would be appropriate to post this on Remembrance Day.

More infomation on Albert Ball can be found on http://www.chapter-one.com/vc/award.asp?vc=47. The museum website is http://www.wfrmuseum.org.uk/, although it does not mention Albert Ball.

Paul

Master
    Wow, thanks for the pic Paul.

How big was the watch? (it looks massive, but maybe the strap is very thin)

Optical Illusion...

Sorry, you are right, the strap is very thin - I guess it has shrunk in 90 odd years. I would say the watch was average wrist watch size, say 40mm diameter.

Next time I will take more care

The only thing I can add to this is that the guard was a shrapnel shield.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".