closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 46 of 46

Thread: Twelve more things I have learned about watches.

  1. #1
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Posts
    7,579

    Twelve more things I have learned about watches.

    In no particular order:

    1 Patek Philippe are wonderful, but very often aesthetically boring. So, buy one only because you like it, but not for the name.
    2 Never have a watch 'serviced' unless it stops telling good time. It's a waste of money and they'll only damage your watch.
    3 Most watches made after 1970 are too expensive. So, consider pre-1970's watches.
    4 IWC sold its soul to the Devil a long time ago, as did many of the great names, including Vacheron & Constantin and especially Omega.
    5 Rolex is the only watch that people recognise on your wrist.
    6 A watch that tells the time within a minute a day is accurate.
    7 'nos' watches are often 'nos' because they have minor flaws.
    8 Quartz watches are convenient.
    9 Learn to accept damage to your watch. It happens.
    10 Hirsch make good straps (and buckles).
    11 There's no such thing as a black crocodile.
    12 Secondhand Jaegers are under-valued.
    13 The watch world is full of shysters.
    14 Never buy a watch you haven't seen 'in the flesh'.
    15 The price of the watch you buy is how much you can sell it for.
    16 Never buy a watch as an investment. Buy it for pleasure.
    17 Buy the most expensive watch you can't afford. It'll be good value later.
    18 Watches are fun.
    19 I have trouble counting beyond 12, which is why I don't wear a 24-hour watch.

  2. #2
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur/London
    Posts
    19,206
    LOL...very entertaining. You forgot to add that mineral crystals are to be avoided at all costs...

    Ming

  3. #3
    Grand Master gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Up North
    Posts
    11,399
    I agree wholeheartedly with all "12" and, like the rest of us no doubt, break those rules frequently.

    A great start to a long Monday, thanks.

    I have some of my own:

    Buying rules:

    1. I buy watches I want to own and wear.

    2. Some watches I don't wear, and no longer care to own, so sell them to buy something else. Sometimes the sale realises a small profit (because I bought well), more usually a small loss (because it is now older/second hand).

    3. I never buy a watch for profit. If profit comes when the time is right for the watch to go it’s a bonus. I view a small loss as "rent" for my ownership and enjoyment. A big loss is a valuable lesson learned!

    4. Some watches I don't wear often but keep and cherish because they are special to me or I want them for my sons.

    5. I never part with family watches (gifts, hand me downs, etc).

    6. I resist the temptation to impulse buy and shop around and take my time (although a quick look at my Ebay account/Sales Corner tells a very different story!).
    Gray

  4. #4
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Prague, CZ
    Posts
    728
    I subscribe to the point 16 in particular. If you want to invest, buy into a well diversified portfolio of stocks, bonds and money-market instruments with no diversifiable risk, whose Sharpe ratio ( (total returns - risk-free returns)/systematic risk ) is high and whose value-at-risk is not that high to ruin you in case that stock markets would fall for three years or so, as they recently did.

    Watches can be more fun than investing, especially when you don't have to bother with their resale price.

  5. #5
    Guest
    Good stuff 8) A few more:

    1. Never buy a watch you dont like the looks of because you wont wear it and it will just sit on the side collecting dust and making you feel depressed because of all the money you wasted on it.

    2. "Near mint" means fu*k all.

    3. Dont listen to anyone who says "if you buy a Rolex you can sell it anywhere in the world for what you paid for it, so its essentially a free watch".

    4. Dont be put off Speedmasters because of having to read the 10 pages of "this was the first watch on the moon etc" before you get to see the damn thing!

    5. If a Poljot is gunna break it will break within 15 seconds of you playing with the chrono when you first get it. Dont be put off, send it back and get another, the second one is usually okay.

    6. Always have a go at people who say "it tells the time, what more do you want" about their 5.99 Sekonda from Argos.

    7. Lange and Sohne make the best movements.

    8. Always kick yourself for not buying a dreadnought when you had the chance each night before bedtime.

    9. When your at a crappy antiques fair with no decent watches dont just buy that knackerd Seiko for 30 quid out of desperation before you walk out the door.

    10. Dont buy your wife a watch because she wont wear it and it will cause arguments between the 2 of you "why dont you wear it, its a great watch, its waterproof to 200 metres, you dont love me anymore" ""It's too heavy to wear everyday darling, of course i still love you"".

  6. #6
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    726
    LOL :lol:

    Have experienced many of the above, cheers guys. :D

  7. #7
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    505
    Mmmm
    Regarding Point 10
    "...Dont buy your wife a watch because she wont wear it and it will cause arguments between the 2 of you "why dont you wear it, its a great watch, its waterproof to 200 metres, you dont love me anymore" ""It's too heavy to wear everyday darling, of course i still love you"".

    I have the opposite problem I lent her one of my watches & now I can't get her to stop wearing it... Now says it looks better on her :shock: Must admit though she has a very persuasive line in argument!! :lol: :lol:

    Says she loves it because it's mine... Argh... I'll have to buy it a twin now...

    Mike

  8. #8
    Grand Master Neil.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    SE England
    Posts
    23,505
    James,


    4. Dont be put off Speedmasters because of having to read the 10 pages of "this was the first watch on the moon etc" before you get to see the damn thing!
    Thats the best bit! :lol:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

    My Speedmaster website:

    http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

  9. #9
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur/London
    Posts
    19,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Gspotter

    6. Always have a go at people who say "it tells the time, what more do you want" about their 5.99 Sekonda from Argos.

    7. Lange and Lohne make the best movements.

    Agree with these two especially!

    Ming

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The shire of berks
    Posts
    5,001
    What a great thread :D

  11. #11
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    31,484
    Tinker said:
    2. Never have a watch 'serviced' unless it stops telling good time. It's a waste of money and they'll only damage your watch.

    Yes and no. A quality watch with a quality movement that will be worn regularly over 25 years is better to service every 5 years or so. You would if your life depended on it. Find a watch repairer who knows what he is doing and does what you want.

    Gspotter said:
    3. Don?t listen to anyone who says "if you buy a Rolex you can sell it anywhere in the world for what you paid for it, so it?s essentially a free watch".

    What I tell people is that with a Rolex you can get quick cash but not what you paid for it. But you are just as likely to get mugged.

    6. Always have a go at people who say "it tells the time, what more do you want" about their 5.99 Sekonda from Argos.

    It?s like saying that all women are good to have because they are all breeders.

    K.I.T.T. said:
    I lent her one of my watches & now I can't get her to stop wearing it...

    What watch is it? Please.

    ============

    This weekend the Financial Times (UK) had one of their customary 10 page watch pullouts ? which is nothing more than an industry ad ? and so what? I remembered it because one of the articles was about women wearing gents watches.

    Anyway, the reason I mentioned the FT ... THE AVERAGE AMOUNT SPENT ON A NEW WRISTATCH IN THE UK IS STILL ONLY 39.

    JD

  12. #12
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    505

    The watch was...

    The watch is/was a Ollech & Wajs M4 on a White Rhino... Its not even like I can grieve for it because I see it daily!!!!! and even when its dark the thing glows!!!!!! :-) ;o

    I must admit it does suit her and at least she has stopped wearing that nasty little quartz... but it was a hard lesson... next time I think I'll not offer to lend her one of mine... and just get her a new battery! :twisted:

    She has been a lot more punctual for her appointments lately and has now started to use the bezel to time me!!!!

    Mike :lol: :wink:

  13. #13
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    West Indies
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Thein
    LOL...very entertaining. You forgot to add that mineral crystals are to be avoided at all costs...

    Ming
    Hi,

    I agree,that why I sold my Ploprof and Speedmaster 125 anniversary.
    I would add that Rolex never made a mineral crystal watch(only in the Tudor range).

    BEST
    RAF

  14. #14
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    505
    I missed out on the FT pull out at the weekend... but I can't say that it surprises me afterall the importance of both form & function is becoming more and more important,

    The variety of nice Diver watches that are easy to read at a glance and can be worn both socially and in a tough working environment... able to take the knocks of daily life, not having to squint at the dial, I think that my other half is starting to appreciate that fact... :o [The fact that there is no battery to worry about and she can read it in the dark are plus factors as well!]

    Only problem is which watch out of my 'box' will go out on semi-permanent 'loan' next!!! :roll:

    Mike

  15. #15
    Master Jeroen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Schalkwijk, The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,904

    Beware Mike....

    Quote Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
    .................... and has now started to use the bezel to time me!!!! Mike :lol: :wink:
    next thing she'll be after one of your chrono's to time you more accurately.... :twisted:

    Jeroen

  16. #16
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    505
    It's not so much the timings that she is doing... She is using my own Watch against me it's like being run over by your own car or being shot at with your own gun!!! She does it specifically because it winds me up!!!!!

    Luckily she hasn't [at least to my knowledge!] timed anything toooooo bad yet!!!! Just the amount of time it takes to drink my beer... time taken for me to get a round in and time spent in the smallest room in the house! :shock:

    Mike

  17. #17
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur/London
    Posts
    19,206
    That's horrible. You should buy her her own chronograph. Then that gives you the excuse for buying another watch, plus she'll leave yours alone.

    Instead of being shot by your own gun you can be shot by the gun that you bought your wife...

    Ming

  18. #18
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    505
    An excuse to buy watches.... Mmmm there is a thought! :P
    But I don't think that I'd be able to get that particular idea past her... :roll: Would solve the Christmas present problem though...
    Although being 'shot' with the weapon I bought her will still sting a bit :wink:


    Mike

  19. #19
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The shire of berks
    Posts
    5,001
    Quote Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
    Luckily she hasn't [at least to my knowledge!] timed anything toooooo bad yet!!!! Just the amount of time it takes to drink my beer... time taken for me to get a round in and time spent in the smallest room in the house! :shock:

    Mike
    When you first mentioned that she was timing you, I had visions of something far worse! :wink:

    I must have a dirty mind :twisted: :lol:

  20. #20
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur/London
    Posts
    19,206
    Quote Originally Posted by tempus
    Quote Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
    Luckily she hasn't [at least to my knowledge!] timed anything toooooo bad yet!!!! Just the amount of time it takes to drink my beer... time taken for me to get a round in and time spent in the smallest room in the house! :shock:

    Mike
    When you first mentioned that she was timing you, I had visions of something far worse! :wink:

    I must have a dirty mind :twisted: :lol:

    LMAO!! Was it you who started the watches and sex post before...? :twisted:

    As for the shooting pains, it could be worse, don't buy her a split flying second chrono. :shock:


    Save it for yourself. :D


    Ming

  21. #21
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    505

    Ah....!

    Fortunately there have been no timings made in that particular sphere...
    or any other shape or activity!!!!!


    Mike

  22. #22
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    5,591
    Can you enlarge on your point about NOS having defects? I have always wondered how these came to be unsold and to reappear after 30 years or whatever.
    Another theory runs that a lot of NOS watches are new assemblies of discovered parts.
    One of my favourites was bought as NOS and does indeed have a defect, coincidence?

  23. #23
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur/London
    Posts
    19,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Si
    Can you enlarge on your point about NOS having defects? I have always wondered how these came to be unsold and to reappear after 30 years or whatever.
    Another theory runs that a lot of NOS watches are new assemblies of discovered parts.
    One of my favourites was bought as NOS and does indeed have a defect, coincidence?

    Both are quite possible, although undiscovered parts less so. You can make more money from servicing a watch and changing the parts for spares than from making new watches. Also your stock of parts will last for longer. As for the defects bit, it may be that they have defects which is why they haven't been sold...or it may be that the defects were acquired during the storage period inbetween manufacture and sale. My NOS dynamic chrono has sticky pushers, I don't know whether this is also coincidental or not.

    Ming

  24. #24
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Prague, CZ
    Posts
    728

    Sorry

    Sorry for bothering you with ignorant questions, what is NOS?

  25. #25
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    505
    NOS= New Old Stock [Basically It is supposed to be old stock that was never issued and has sat either in draws or on shelves and has been overlooked until they stock take or a shop / supplier goes bankrupt or closes!]

    Mike
    8)

  26. #26
    Guest
    DELETED

  27. #27
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    505
    NOS are sometimes the only way that we can get something lovely and unique to wear on our wrists... The O&W Earlybird being a very nice example.. . I habitually wear a NOS Seiko 6105 and after the service / clean as soon as I acquired it, afterwhich it's worked fine.... I think that is the point really after a nice watch has sat for a while it needs a bit of freshening up to get the object of our affections running on top form... :P

    After all these are out of production watches so we must take care of them!!!

    Mike :roll:

  28. #28
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    In a world without walls, who needs a location?
    Posts
    722

    Perhaps the stickiness in the NOS watches

    are due to the oil solidifying after so many years of inactivity. This may be a case where a running machinery works better than one that has been stopped for a long time and then restarted.

    Buying NOS may depend on luck, and also depends on how long it has been OS. I guess that, without re-oiling, the performance of an NOS that has been on the shelf for a few years will tend to perform better than one that has been on the shelf for 30 years. With re-oiling, the latter may be as good as it was when just boxed.

    Yes, some NOS do have slight mars, such as minor scratches on the casing, imperfect imprinting of the letters on the case or caseback. Usually nothing major and through my observation, the movement is always in good & new condition.

    Personally have bought a few recent NOS: a GP 4900, B&M Formula S, EPOS Heur Sautante (jump hour). Absolutely no problems with them.

    For someone who's strapped for cash, and would like to enjoy watches, definitely NOS is way to go. Oh yes, do make it a point to buy from reputable retailers to avoid being ripped off.

  29. #29
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    505
    Yes I think you are dead right about the reputation of the seller being vital when buying a NOS... Some sellers are shall we say creative when describing their goods and I'm sure most of us have horror stories about ebay etc.

    Roy and Eddie are two guys that I personally have great confidence in... it's nice to deal with them and their customer service is superb... and their stock is certainly wallet opening :lol:

    Mike

  30. #30
    Administrator swanbourne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    45,987
    I have a few observations to make about NOS watches.

    1. The first thing you should do is have them serviced unless you are certain this has already been done.

    2. Expect to find a few scuff marks on them, they will have been handled a few times over the years.

    3. Check out the strap or bracelet; some watches have unique dedicated straps which are no longer available.

    Other than that, they are usually exceptional bargains

    Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

  31. #31
    Guest
    DELETED

  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    In no particular order:

    1 Patek Philippe are wonderful, but very often aesthetically boring. So, buy one only because you like it, but not for the name.
    2 Never have a watch 'serviced' unless it stops telling good time. It's a waste of money and they'll only damage your watch.
    3 Most watches made after 1970 are too expensive. So, consider pre-1970's watches.
    4 IWC sold its soul to the Devil a long time ago, as did many of the great names, including Vacheron & Constantin and especially Omega.
    5 Rolex is the only watch that people recognise on your wrist.
    6 A watch that tells the time within a minute a day is accurate.
    7 'nos' watches are often 'nos' because they have minor flaws.
    8 Quartz watches are convenient.
    9 Learn to accept damage to your watch. It happens.
    10 Hirsch make good straps (and buckles).
    11 There's no such thing as a black crocodile.
    12 Secondhand Jaegers are under-valued.
    13 The watch world is full of shysters.
    14 Never buy a watch you haven't seen 'in the flesh'.
    15 The price of the watch you buy is how much you can sell it for.
    16 Never buy a watch as an investment. Buy it for pleasure.
    17 Buy the most expensive watch you can't afford. It'll be good value later.
    18 Watches are fun.
    19 I have trouble counting beyond 12, which is why I don't wear a 24-hour watch.
    I enjoyed stumbling on this just now... not much has changed in 15 years!!

  33. #33
    Grand Master TaketheCannoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nineteen eighty something
    Posts
    10,617
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    I enjoyed stumbling on this just now... not much has changed in 15 years!!
    Great post from Tinker and nowt's changed in that time.

  34. #34
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    11 There's no such thing as a black crocodile.
    This made me laugh out loud. Brilliant.

  35. #35
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    627
    Who is this 'guest' that keeps having their posts deleted? How does a 'guest' get to post anyway?

  36. #36
    Craftsman Redwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    584
    Cool thread. Made me laugh.
    I have one to add :
    1: A strap change can make you love your watch again.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  37. #37
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Wexford, Ireland
    Posts
    7
    Buy extra straps every time you buy a watch.

  38. #38
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    3,981
    Marvel at the enduring power of the mechanical watch....still desirable in the age of truly astonishing technology.

  39. #39
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    cardiff
    Posts
    144
    20. Blokes collect watches , women handbags


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  40. #40
    Master snowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    9,345
    Quote Originally Posted by mhurley View Post
    20. Blokes collect watches , women handbags


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Shoes, in my experience.

    I don't know one woman who doesn't have a bigger collection of pairs of shoes than I have watches!

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

  41. #41
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Reading UK
    Posts
    255
    Nice ones, thanks :)

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

  42. #42
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    31,484
    Shikes!!! Talk about zombie-thread resurrection. For a moment I thought Ming was back.

  43. #43
    Always be sitting down before you open the service quotation from Rolex. They must use an electron microscope.
    Last edited by mylofitz; 11th February 2019 at 08:56.

  44. #44
    Craftsman Frakius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Dorchester UK
    Posts
    412
    Read through this and didn't realise until near the end it had been resurrected from 2003, reads like it was written this morning!

  45. #45
    Thoroughly enjoyable read! Nothing changes!


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  46. #46
    Agreed! I thoroughly enjoyed reading this.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •