closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: RAAF 1981 issue Lemania 5012 Chronographs ...

RAAF 1981 issue Lemania 5012 Chronographs ...

Hi guys,

Does anyone know anything about these RAAF issue Chronos?

I've seen a bit on the net about the SAAF version from 1980 but bugger all on the RAAF 1981 version.

Both are almost identical but the RAAF version has a Fat Arrow on the dial and much nicer case back markings.

A friend who wasn't sure thought they may have been purchased for RAAF F111 Navigator/Weapon Officers (the guy in the right hand seat of the pig).

Has anyone got one or know anything about them?

Kind regards

Chris in Melbourne

cjhensworth(at)gmail(dot)com

Craftsman
    Chris

I have a SAAF one which I found in Australia (The British instrument technician for the SAAF moved there to live) but unfortunately I have no info on the RAAF ones - sorry.

Dave

Thanks For your reply Dave ....

Congratulations on your SAAF Lemania too. Lots of South Africans resettled here in Oz, especially in Perth.

I've been lucky enough to snag a really nice RAAF example but it's still in transit. I've posted a similar question on MWR and have had no luck in finding more about the watches there either.

I've emailed some sites run by ex RAAF personnel and am keeping my fingers crossed I can get some info from those sources.

It'll be my second aussie mil watch that I can't find any history on. My TA Smiths Deluxe from 1961 is still a mystery too!

Do any otheer UKTZ members have an RAAF Lemaina 5012? I'd love to compare notes with you.

Kind regards

Chris

Hi Chris, I think I joined in on MWR (with nothing meaningful!).

A great find, I'm very jealous already and I think the RAAF ones seem to be rarer than the SAAFers, it'd be fantastic to find out more about them, particularly who were they issued to in 1981, (I've seen the RAN theory, which holds some water I think), how many were issued and what happened to them - was there a destruction policy in the RAAF/RAN as there was in the SAAF - it would seem not but there's not many of this particular sort floating about - perhaps another indicator it may be a dive supervisor watch rather than a pilots watch...

Anyway, good news, I'd be very interested seeing it when you get it.

"If you think of sellling..." etc etc

Andy

Hi Andy, I don't think the Aussie Lemanias were RAAF issue

Quote Originally Posted by andy111s View Post
    Hi Chris, I think I joined in on MWR (with nothing meaningful!).

A great find, I'm very jealous already and I think the RAAF ones seem to be rarer than the SAAFers, it'd be fantastic to find out more about them, particularly who were they issued to in 1981, (I've seen the RAN theory, which holds some water I think), how many were issued and what happened to them - was there a destruction policy in the RAAF/RAN as there was in the SAAF - it would seem not but there's not many of this particular sort floating about - perhaps another indicator it may be a dive supervisor watch rather than a pilots watch...

Anyway, good news, I'd be very interested seeing it when you get it.

"If you think of sellling..." etc etc

Andy
    They are far more likely to be RAN issue. I'm not aware of any RAAF issue Chronographs. The RAN however did issue Chronographs.

I have spoken to several ex RAAF Navigators and none has seen a Lemania Chrono in service. Just JLC, International and Hamilton watches. One thought the Hamilton was on the cheap side compared to the JLCs.

Email me at cjhensworth(at)gmail(dot)com and I'll email you pics of the Lemania. I've seen 4 separate serial numbers so I guess they are a bit scarcer than the SAAF examples.

Kind regards

Chris

Craftsman

Chris, several years ago one was sold .....

by auction by a military collector/dealer from Rockingham, WA, nearby HMAS Stirling Naval Base. The notion they were RAN issue could well be true then.

Post some pictures of yours when you can please.

Terry

Pics of my recent find

Kind regards

Chris

A great find, and in enviable condition, even the caseback brushed finishing is still very clear, and nice to have a matching hand set, so many of the SAAF ones do not.

Not to detract at all, but I would have to get the chapter ring rehaut aligned to satisy my (admittedly small) OCD tendencies.

All the best, enjoy it

Dave

Master
    Great find Chris - how about you trade it to me in exchange for my similarly rare CWC 1981 Fat Case Navigator?

Okay let's talk!

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Great find Chris - how about you trade it to me in exchange for my similarly rare CWC 1981 Fat Case Navigator?
    :-)

Chris

Lovely Chris, sorry I couldn't help more. FWIW, I looked the watch up in Knirim and he does list them as RAN issue. Which makes sense, given the military markings, which are the same style as used in the later RAN Certinas.
    Agree with Dave, the mal-rotated chapter ring on my SAAF bugs me and I need to get it fixed. Likewise the matching hand set, which is lacking on my watch. Wear it with pride, it's a great find.

There was a good hint from Daniel (Danomar) over on the MWR thread http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthread.php?p=177460 concerning the chapter ring Colin. He also had his hands redone as you can see.

Andy

that's a fantastic looking watch, well found

Journeyman

Cool Thats....

A nice watch

Journeyman
    beautiful!

Journeyman
    incredible watch, very nice !

Just on the RAN/RAAF issue, it seems this one had decomm papers:

https://www.mwrforum.net/forums/show...n-Lemania-5100

"(4)On a hunch, I reached out to ex RAAF SAN members as was able to confirm that these were issued to Qualified Flight Instructors (QNi) and aircrew of RAAF Siddley Hawker planes used by SAN ."