closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Panerai P.2002 8 Day Movement

Master

Panerai P.2002 8 Day Movement

The movement...

...from my 233...

...was fully wound last Sunday afternoon. Right now it's showing slightly more than 25% power remaining which means in the real world it will run for 9.5 - 10 days.

Panerai has its haters for whatever reason but I really like the design of the watches and think they have a great range of in-house movements including this P.2002.

It's a good thing that we all like different things...

Master

Re: Panerai P.2002 8 Day Movement

I think some of the hate comes from the models that use very basic prettied up ETA movements and sell for a massive markup. Their in house movements receive a lot of praise.

That's lovely but the whole Brooklyn bridge fiasco didn't do much for Panerai in my eyes.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mab View Post
    The movement...

...from my 233...

...was fully wound last Sunday afternoon. Right now it's showing slightly more than 25% power remaining which means in the real world it will run for 9.5 - 10 days.

Panerai has its haters for whatever reason but I really like the design of the watches and think they have a great range of in-house movements including this P.2002.

It's a good thing that we all like different things...
    Very impressive, its amazing the power that can be stored. How can people hate designs like this

I soooo want a 233, tis lovely.

Grand Master
    Mine used to run to almost 10 days everytime, great watch
    RIAC

My favourite watch, simply stunning. Been wearing mine all weekend, and gone through a fair few strap changes in that time too!

Quote Originally Posted by simonedgar View Post
    Very impressive, its amazing the power that can be stored.
    Nice watch! (but for real impressive, look at the Lange 31 that has a one month reserve with a constant amplitude... )
    Last edited by lencoth; 4th November 2012 at 22:35.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Nice watch. I am sure it will run for upto 10 days, if you live in the country, where time moves at a more relaxed pace.
    However in the city where time is so much more frantic, I would warrant that it wouldn't even make the 8 days.

Master
    Great watch, nothing wrong with the basic movements either!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    ....and gone through a fair few strap changes in that time too!
    Why? What's was wrong with the strap ?

Quote Originally Posted by neebsta View Post
    Great watch, nothing wrong with the basic movements either!
    Nope, except that some where a bit too basic (318 Special Edition Brooklyn Bridge.....)

That's a beaut. It's definitely on my future hit list

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lencoth View Post
    Nope, except that some where a bit too basic (318 Special Edition Brooklyn Bridge.....)
    Read that, it's life, they're a business. The reality is the cost of one basic movement to another is probably broadly the same anyway.

The reality is the cost of one basic movement to another is probably broadly the same anyway.
    Then why gamble your reputation on picking a movement that is so basic, many consider it close to fraud?

Master
    Then why gamble your reputation on picking a movement that is so basic, many consider it close to fraud?
    The origins of Panerai where all about basic movements - only Richemont can answer that question. Also, what was the specific request of originator of the special edition?

Anyway, taking the OPs original post way off topic.

Cheers

The 233 is the only Panerai worth owning in my experience.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

The origins of Panerai where all about basic movements - only Richemont can answer that question. Also, what was the specific request of originator of the special edition?

Anyway, taking the OPs original post way off topic.

Cheers
    I think they started out with (a.o.) Rolex movements, hardly basic by the standards of the day, I guess. You're right about drifting OT

Panerai get quite a lot of stick for their movements (somewhat deservedly after the Brooklyn Bridge SE), but they produce quite a decent range of inhouse movements IMO. The 8-day is fantastic, but even the 3000 and 9000 are pretty good with 3-day PR's and a range of complications.

I have no idea of the statistics, but I am sure they are moving towards selling a decent proportion of their models with inhouse movements.

Master
    I think they started out with (a.o.) Rolex movements, hardly basic by the standards of the day, I guess. You're right about drifting OT
    Rolex - very basic :)

I wonder if they state '8 days' because that's how long they feel it has acceptable timekeeping, like IWC who brake their barrel to keep their mainspring force within a certain range. Then again, a watch that's nearly wound down is going to be keeping better time than one that's stopped!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    Panerai get quite a lot of stick for their movements (somewhat deservedly after the Brooklyn Bridge SE), but they produce quite a decent range of inhouse movements IMO. The 8-day is fantastic, but even the 3000 and 9000 are pretty good with 3-day PR's and a range of complications.

I have no idea of the statistics, but I am sure they are moving towards selling a decent proportion of their models with inhouse movements.
    Not wanting to get into yet another 318 debate, the 318 was a solid caseback so you may question the value of decoration. However, given the minor costs involved, I certainly think the lack of decoration was a mistake and has detrimentally impacted Panerai's reptation within the WIS community.

Anyway, moving on...

I certainly agree that their range of in-house movements is good; I currently own a p.9000 variation and welcome the 3 day reserve compared to, say, my very-well-regarded-within-the-WIS-community IWC 3227 which is designed to conk out after 42 hours. 3 days provides signifcantly more flexibility in my rotation.

I also like the eta movements, to be perfectly honest. The OP XI in my old 111 was a beautiful looking thing through the display caseback. You pays your money, you takes your choice... the OP XI is reliable, cheap to maintain, looks great, has a 56+ hour reserve, etc. The "it's very expensive for an eta movement" argument doesn't really wash with me... you know the price before you pay.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spluurfg View Post
    I wonder if they state '8 days' because that's how long they feel it has acceptable timekeeping, like IWC who brake their barrel to keep their mainspring force within a certain range. Then again, a watch that's nearly wound down is going to be keeping better time than one that's stopped!
    I've heard that before re: IWC, but never heard the same said of the p.2002 movement.

I'm sure I'll do a proper 10 day test at some stage, but I tend not to bother monitoring the daily accuracy of my mechanicals any more...

I certainly agree that their range of in-house movements is good; I currently own a p.9000 variation and welcome the 3 day reserve compared to, say, my very-well-regarded-within-the-WIS-community IWC 3227 which is designed to conk out after 42 hours. 3 days provides signifcantly more flexibility in my rotation.
    There's a lot to be said for a decent power reserve, especially when you get to 3+ days as (as long as you're active enought to wind them up fully) they're much less likely to run down e.g. over the weekend. That's the problem with the usual 40+/- hours IMO - if you take the watch off on Friday night, it's run out by Monday am.

It is handy to have a power reserve indicator on these long-PR movement.

That's why this fella is one of my current obsessions.

Mab- that is a lovely piece with a splendid movement. Reading up on the history of the brand and the movements used has been a pleasurable pastime recently and I do wonder how their new 8 day compares to the Angelus 8 day movements used in their earlier pieces. I have read that the time keeping starts to slip towards the end of the reserve on the Angelus movements but suspect this is something Panerai have worked on for their in-house movement. How many winds does it take for a full charge?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect View Post
    Mab- that is a lovely piece with a splendid movement. Reading up on the history of the brand and the movements used has been a pleasurable pastime recently and I do wonder how their new 8 day compares to the Angelus 8 day movements used in their earlier pieces. I have read that the time keeping starts to slip towards the end of the reserve on the Angelus movements but suspect this is something Panerai have worked on for their in-house movement. How many winds does it take for a full charge?
    I've not accurately assessed time keeping over a ~10 day period, but will do at some stage and report back.

Winding certainly is something I can comment on... it's smooooooooooooth. Winding is effortless and efficient when compared with the 111 I used to own. I would say it takes about the same amount of time to fully wind the 233 (192-240 hours reserve) as it did to fully wind the 111 (56-60 hours reserve). Whereby the OP XI had greater resistance to winding and was a bit of a struggle with thumb on crown above the crownguard and finger on crown beneath, I can almost roll the lower side of the 233 crown along my index finger due to limited resistance. I found the 111 a little frustrating at times (normally when in a rush), whereas I find the 233 a joy.