closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New W10

New W10

I've been thinking about making a new W10 style watch and I'm asking for a bit of feedback.

It must be affordable and this needs to be considered when making suggestions; here's what I've thought of so far.

Simple case
    100m water resistant (no need for a screw down crown)
    38 - 40mm
    Flat sapphire crystal
    Ronda 715Li quartz
    Tritium tube lume

It doesn't need to look like current W10 designs but it should have a utilitarian appearance.

Any thoughts?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Re: New W10

Sounds good.
    Like the idea of trit tubes.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Well, you have done the '53 6b/542, why not have a crack at the recased '56 6b/159 - that's a really attractive watch and one you could do in two colours. Hell, for a cheapie, you could even go with the '40's 6b/159 with the rounded snap back case. That would look great in a slightly larger size...

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Well, you have done the '53 6b/542, why not have a crack at the recased '56 6b/159 - that's a really attractive watch and one you could do in two colours. Hell, for a cheapie, you could even go with the '40's 6b/159 with the rounded snap back case. That would look great in a slightly larger size...
    Well I could but I'm looking for a modern design.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

What about an updated Roamer Anfibio, as issued by the Rhodesian Army?

Pic borrowed for illustration.

Nice case shape.
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    Sounds good.
    Like the idea of trit tubes.

Also like the idea of tritium tubes and ideally a 40mm case.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I've got 3 of the CWCs and I think they're 36mm, something slightly larger would be nice, not sure if the Pulsars are bigger than 36.

Sapphire definitely as plexi in a tool watch is a bit of a PITA if you're a WIS as they keep scratching.

10 year battery ideal!

Be interested to see the proposed case shape as there have been quite a few variations on the theme, something a bit different would be good.

Fixed bars? How about fatties with drilled lugs, as these watches can look quite smart on a bracelet, if not particularly trad.

Sorry, got a bit carried away there!

One of my W10s has mercedes hands and it looks more 'Explorer' like.

Cheers

Meat

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Well I could but I'm looking for a modern design.

Eddie
    Are there any simple designs that haven't been done at least twice before?

Journeyman
    What about something similar to this style?

How about a Benrus Navy type?

Would also prefer a classic round case shape

Like the black one above...and black is good

Banned
    "It doesn't need to look like current W10 designs but it should have a utilitarian appearance"

i think a 38mm with speedmaster professional type dial [without the subdials of course]

no numbers and the same sort of hands

minute hand going all the way all the way to the minute markers

would be a winner for me

Blog Entries
    Make it 40mm, because that's not too big for most of the population, whereas 38mm is just too small for some.

Quote Originally Posted by m@tty View Post
    What about something similar to this style?
    Something like this appeals to me more than the original W10 style.

Would love to see a case like this anyway from Eddie, whether or not it's on this proposed project.

How about one in the style of the Hamilton W10 from the early 1970's? Use tritium tubes at 3,6,9 and 12, and on the hands, and the circled T on the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    Make it 40mm, because that's not too big for most of the population, whereas 38mm is just too small for some.
    I like the utilitarian look of the w10, one of the only watches without the dive bezel that I admire.

I agree with the above poster on 40mm min, a nice medium sized tool timepeice, and an appeal for the lovers of both smaller and larger watches, and the trit tube idea is excellent. and the circle T.

Richie

I like to get these things visualized!! This is just a rough sketch almost, bringing together a few ideas already mentioned... I have always liked the sparseness of the Sinn 556 and the plain handset, but never sure if I like the 12 marker being exactly the same as the rest of the markers. Makes it almost feel to balanced if there is such a thing. So a different coloured tube could solve that. I like the idea of a nicely shaped case, but a very utilitarian face as Eddie asked for.

Just kicking about ideas.....

In terms of producing something legible, but also modern, with simple cases, 40mm x 10mm and 22mm lugs, I think N.B. Yaeger got things pretty close when they came up with the Delta Sector. It's simple, well-designed, visually striking. Almost everything a W10 might be... they even managed to get some colour into the dial.

Photo (C) http://www.nbyaeger.de/

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post
    I like to get these things visualized!! This is just a rough sketch almost, bringing together a few ideas already mentioned... I have always liked the sparseness of the Sinn 556 and the plain handset, but never sure if I like the 12 marker being exactly the same as the rest of the markers. Makes it almost feel to balanced if there is such a thing. So a different coloured tube could solve that. I like the idea of a nicely shaped case, but a very utilitarian face as Eddie asked for.

Just kicking about ideas.....

Yes Oli! That, subject to significant refinement, is pretty much what I had in mind. Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by glickman View Post
    Yes Oli! That, subject to significant refinement, is pretty much what I had in mind. Nice work.

Glad I was on the right track! Yes it was only a quick sketch... I can already see the handset seem a little out of scale in width, plus the hour hand could do with being a bit longer. And thats just the start of it!!

Journeyman
    Not sure from your mock up but would like to see tritium tubes at all the hour marks rather than just 3, 6, 9 and 12. With perhaps a different colour at 12 or even two tubes at 12!

Not sure from your mock up but would like to see tritium tubes at all the hour marks rather than just 3, 6, 9 and 12. With perhaps a different colour at 12 or even two tubes at 12!

I do have that mocked up as well! I'll post it tomorrow as its on the work MAC. I will also try the double at 12... I was using one of the Balls as reference which has 'fat' tubes. I assume that these cost a lot more, and in more a pratical terms thinner tubes will be the way the project would be taken forward if it happened?

Cheers

Yep that's the sort of thing I had in mind too given Eddie's brief. I also like the simpleness of the Sinn 556 therefore I'd go for all white tube markers with possible coloured tubes on the hands, although the colour would have to be subtle in daylight.

I love having the opportunity to contribute to a design, even if my ideas are naff

Negatory on the PVD, over.

That's a big 10-4 Grandie.....

How about one in the style of the Hamilton W10 from the early 1970's? Use tritium tubes at 3,6,9 and 12, and on the hands, and the circled T on the dial.
    Best suggestion so far. But why flat sapphire Eddie, when you could have a lovely domed acrylic? I also like the tonneau case shape of the 1970s W10s.

Journeyman
    I wouldn't call the Hamilton W10 a modern design it looks firmly routed in the last century and looks exactly like what it is! A cheap watch manufactured as cheaply as possible and supplied to a cheapskate military, most probably chosen by a cheapskate pen pusher.

New W10

Maybe not so modern looking and you are entitled to your opinion of course, but I personally find my CWC version to be well made and surprisingly elegant for a military watch. The pattern was good enough to be made for 7 years, only being displaced in 1980 by the quartz revolution. I understand that they were still being issued during the first Gulf War in 1991.

If we're talking about a modern field watch I'ld favour a cross between m@tty's post above and some of the Marathons may prove a source of inspiration (though with fewer numerals (and no PVD))

(stolen picture)

Quote Originally Posted by gentlemenpreferhats View Post
    If we're talking about a modern field watch I'ld favour a cross between m@tty's post above and some of the Marathons may prove a source of inspiration (though with fewer numerals (and no PVD))
    Pretty much what he said, and definitely no PVD!

I wonder what this would look like as a regular watch, without a diver's bezel?

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie
    hmmmm

(Another stolen pic)

Journeyman

Eddie
    I think it would look good! I'm sure someone will be along shortly with a mock up? Perhaps with a simplified PRS-17C style face and a larger crystal with a chapter ring with seconds or hour markings.

Journeyman
    I kind of thought something similar to this chapter ring and bezel style!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I thought about having the bezel stand about 0.5mm proud to give extra protection to the crystal.

Eddie

Eddie

Pretty dam good...! This face has always been a real favourite of mine. I used this case shape as it was to hand.

I love that case shape. Its almost a midway point between the W10 and the PRS17 cases.

I kind of thought something similar to this chapter ring and bezel style!

It would be difficult to put tritium tubes on that dial.

Eddie

Or maybe this case suits the face better...? And you have the smooth bezel mentioned.

40mm is about 4mm too large for a W10. Unless you're making a tool watch for Laestrygonians.

Quote Originally Posted by SternG View Post
    40mm is about 4mm too large for a W10. Unless you're making a tool watch for Laestrygonians.
    That's always been my ambition ;-).

Eddie

That's always been my ambition ;-).

Eddie

Seriously, it's got to be 36mm. We doan need no steenkin large watches, not no more.

How would you see the tubes being laid out of this kind of face Eddie? Again just kicking about ideas and sketching them out...

Journeyman
    I dont think that layout works!

I dont think that layout works!
    Neither do I... I was kinda struggling to see how the tubes would fit onto it! I think you'd have to drop the arrows and then make batons all the way around.

But would it lose its charm??!

Would it be possible to cut the hour markers near the chapter ring and have the tubes fill that space?

So they look like an extension of the markers.

Quote Originally Posted by trisdg View Post
    Would it be possible to cut the hour markers near the chapter ring and have the tubes fill that space?

So they look like an extension of the markers.

Good shout... that looks MUCH better.

Looks like a Railmaster on steroids!

Want one.

What case is that Oliver? It's a great shape.